HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

41st Obsequious Banter Thread - Mez Dispenser

Closed Thread

Old
01-30-2011, 11:45 PM
GoneFullHextall
JR=clueless

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by JVR21 View Post
Time out. The Pro Bowl was today? I had no idea. I didn't hear one peep about it.
yeah and like every year it sucked.
the AHL allstar game is tomorrow night in case anyone cares.

Old
01-31-2011, 01:33 AM
Ri hards

vCash: 500
I mangled my hip today at hockey. I threw a pretty awesome hip check and connected with a big fatty. Now granted it's a non-contact adult league, but the fatty had it coming. God damned laws of physics...

Old
01-31-2011, 09:51 AM
Terence Peterman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach J View Post
I mangled my hip today at hockey. I threw a pretty awesome hip check and connected with a big fatty. Now granted it's a non-contact adult league, but the fatty had it coming. God damned laws of physics...
Is there some sort of code in a league like that, where if a hit gets thrown everyone kinda knows there's more to it than the hit?

Old
01-31-2011, 09:59 AM
i am dave

I'm having a bit of a personal "crisis." This past May, I was laid off from my job, where I had been for 7 years, and had seniority. I wasn't all that shocked, because the company had completely dismantled its business model, and the owners have no real desire to continue employing people any more. Literally within minutes, I was on the phone with a former colleague who had started her own business, and we made arrangements for my "temporary part time employment" with the understanding that as her business grew, it would become a full-time, permanent job for me. Unfortunately, we haven't gotten many new accounts, so my hours have not picked up. I end up working only a handfull of hours every week (albeit from the comfort of my home when I do), and collect u/e to cover the rest.

I want to work more, and I'm thinking about sending out some resumes, but my current employer has invested money in me, and I don't want to be screw her over. Ugh, I just don't know what to do.

Old
01-31-2011, 10:05 AM
CharlieGirl
Flyers Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by i am dave View Post
I'm having a bit of a personal "crisis." This past May, I was laid off from my job, where I had been for 7 years, and had seniority. I wasn't all that shocked, because the company had completely dismantled its business model, and the owners have no real desire to continue employing people any more. Literally within minutes, I was on the phone with a former colleague who had started her own business, and we made arrangements for my "temporary part time employment" with the understanding that as her business grew, it would become a full-time, permanent job for me. Unfortunately, we haven't gotten many new accounts, so my hours have not picked up. I end up working only a handfull of hours every week (albeit from the comfort of my home when I do), and collect u/e to cover the rest.

I want to work more, and I'm thinking about sending out some resumes, but my current employer has invested money in me, and I don't want to be screw her over. Ugh, I just don't know what to do.
Have to talked with your current employer about the situation? I think that's your best first step. She has to know that working a handful of hours per week isn't sufficient for you, and she may also be able to let you know if there are irons in the fire to bring on more business. If nothing else, you'll know what the future is if you stay where you are.

Old
01-31-2011, 10:19 AM
dbr2
Lockout Beard

Send a message via AIM to dbr2
Quote:
Mike York?

Old
01-31-2011, 10:51 AM
GoneFullHextall
JR=clueless

vCash: 50
Quote:
you hip checked Mike York?

EDIT: ******* it dbr beat me to it haha

Old
01-31-2011, 10:57 AM
Jester

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieGirl View Post
Have to talked with your current employer about the situation? I think that's your best first step. She has to know that working a handful of hours per week isn't sufficient for you, and she may also be able to let you know if there are irons in the fire to bring on more business. If nothing else, you'll know what the future is if you stay where you are.
I'm with Charlie. You clearly have a personal connection of some depth to your employer, so I have to believe you can have a candid conversation about the situation with her. Having experience working at a startup myself, I have to assume she's at least aware of the situation and will be open to discussing it with you... at the very least you aren't dropping a bomb on her. However, it's work... you gotta take care of your own at some point.

Old
01-31-2011, 11:00 AM
i am dave

Quote:
We have had discussions from time to time, and while she remains optimistic about work coming in the future, in our line of work (we're primarily municipal engineers), accounts bringing sustainable work are bid on at the end of each calendar year, and awarded in the first weeks of every new year. Seeing as we missed out on our bids this year, I don't see a ton of work being available for the rest of the year.

Old
01-31-2011, 11:03 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus View Post
Oh for sure, I get that. I'm just shocked you can go to a bar down there and actually get drinks for a nickel. I don't believe I've ever heard of that in Canada.

I don't see what the issue is with this, why not?

$3 is nothing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules801 View Post
That's kinda lame. I remember going to a bar in Philly (the old Piano bar on Delaware Ave? Can't remember the name), and it was $.25 cent drafts. I think there was a $5 cover, but it was as advertised. Plop down a dollar, get 4 beers. Good times.

I didn't mind the cover, except for the fact that their website (this is Reed's in Blue Bell for you locals) says there wasn't one. I never got an explanation as to why they wouldn't break change, I'm assuming it has to do with being stiffed on tips.

I had 3 more beers after that at $2, so I only spent like $9 total.

Quote:
Good God, I can't remember the last time I walked into a bar for more than a quick drink and left spending less than $25.

GKJ, don't ever come to Canada and go to a bar. You'll die.
Look forward to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UseYourAllusion View Post
I still say 3 hours open bar for $25 is the deal to take, and then you just get hammered.
I couldn't get wasted because I had to drive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaosof99 View Post
I saw this last week. Turtle costume looks strange, they'll need to touch that up if it gets picked up.

Stop Feeding the Rumor-Monger

"I wonder if Norstrom has Forsberg's spleen mounted on his wall." - KINGS17

My 50 Favorite Albums of 2014 (sorry it's late)
Old
01-31-2011, 11:03 AM
Ri hards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Blaine View Post
Is there some sort of code in a league like that, where if a hit gets thrown everyone kinda knows there's more to it than the hit?
More or less. It was the third period, the refs hadn't called **** all game and I was tired of him trying to dangle me with his head down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbr2 View Post
Mike York?
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
you hip checked Mike York?

EDIT: ******* it dbr beat me to it haha
Haha

Old
01-31-2011, 11:11 AM
CharlieGirl
Flyers Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
I had 3 more beers after that at $2, so I only spent like $9 total.

Look forward to it.
As long as you understand that your $9 won't buy you a drink and get you in the door at most bars, you'll be fine. If you're talking about downtown Toronto, your $9 may not get you in the door.

Old
01-31-2011, 11:27 AM
Jester

Quote:
We have had discussions from time to time, and while she remains optimistic about work coming in the future, in our line of work (we're primarily municipal engineers), accounts bringing sustainable work are bid on at the end of each calendar year, and awarded in the first weeks of every new year. Seeing as we missed out on our bids this year, I don't see a ton of work being available for the rest of the year.
Unless you think the firm is going to suddenly blow up and be a great thing to be attached to... I would be on top of getting employment elsewhere with that being the case.

Old
01-31-2011, 11:27 AM
Jester

Quote:
As long as you understand that your $9 won't buy you a drink and get you in the door at most bars, you'll be fine. If you're talking about downtown Toronto, your $9 may not get you in the door.
Honestly, I didn't find Toronto to be that expensive when I visited.

Old
01-31-2011, 11:44 AM
UseYourAllusion

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post

I couldn't get wasted because I had to drive.
Weak, being the driver is the worst.

Old
01-31-2011, 11:50 AM
Jester

Quote:
Major benefit of living in the city... and a huge benefit of going to college in a city.

Old
01-31-2011, 12:05 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 505
Quote:
Not that I condone it, but I trust myself enough to drink some and then be well enough to drive home. As long as you know how your body works. And I know how to get anywhere. In short, if I'm driving, I know we're getting where we're going and then to get home. I'm not that interested in getting completely trashed unless I'm somewhere where I'm not leaving anyways.

Plus, depending on who I'm with or what car I'm in, I can get carsick.

Old
01-31-2011, 12:56 PM
CharlieGirl
Flyers Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Honestly, I didn't find Toronto to be that expensive when I visited.
It depends on the bar, I think. Drinks aren't a whole lot different than they are at a bar/club here, but there's a massive difference between what we pay and what you pay. It also depends on the exchange rate at the time. Right now, it's a huge bargain for us to head to the States.

Old
01-31-2011, 02:12 PM
Kambo

Send a message via AIM to Kambo
Well according to stubhub, Toronto is really REALLY ****ing expensive, and my wallet doesn't appreciate it.

Old
01-31-2011, 02:16 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kambo View Post
Well according to stubhub, Toronto is really REALLY ****ing expensive, and my wallet doesn't appreciate it.
Well, pretty much everywhere is expensive if you're American right now. However, having spent time in London and such, I didn't think Toronto was all that bad for a major city.

Old
01-31-2011, 02:24 PM
CharlieGirl
Flyers Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Well, pretty much everywhere is expensive if you're American right now. However, having spent time in London and such, I didn't think Toronto was all that bad for a major city.
Fair enough - if you're comparing it to London (and most of Europe for that matter) Toronto isn't bad. In North America, it's right up there with Vancouver and NYC, depending on what you're pricing.

Kambo, you can find deals on hotels in Toronto but prices for Leafs tickets are beyond ridiculous - which is why Buffalo gets so many people from Southern Ontario.

Old
01-31-2011, 02:25 PM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
I have tickets to Leafs and Flyers in March. Cost me 200$ and they are upper level seats(listed price on tickets is ~50 each)

Old
01-31-2011, 02:26 PM
CharlieGirl
Flyers Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovercraft View Post
I have tickets to Leafs and Flyers in March. Cost me 200$ and they are upper level seats
Are you in Ontario now or are you just visiting then?

Woof and I were half-planning on catching that game if we can swing tickets.

Old
01-31-2011, 02:31 PM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
Quote:
Are you in Ontario now or are you just visiting then?

Woof and I were half-planning on catching that game if we can swing tickets.
Visiting then. Going to the PDAC conference, and then catching the game. Plus my mom lives in Guelph now so she is going to come into town for the weekend

Old
01-31-2011, 02:33 PM
CharlieGirl
Flyers Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovercraft View Post
Visiting then. Going to the PDAC conference, and the catching the game. Plus my mom lives in Guelph now so she is going to come into town for the weekend
Oh very cool! I didn't think you were living here, but I wasn't positive.

Closed Thread