HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Phoenix XIXth: Nervous Breakdown

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-24-2011, 07:48 PM
  #26
PitbulI
Registered User
 
PitbulI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 371
vCash: 500
So Glendale is actually a whole other city, not just a suburb of Pheonix?

Since the U of P is right near Westgate, I think that little shopping area is safe.

Plus, while getting 41 events a year is probably not achieveable in the next year or two. I would think that getting close to that number in about 5 wouldn't be a bad thing. It's better than losing 200 million in your first 5.

Even if I was a Coyotes fan living in Glendale, I would not support this. That would be like asking the city of Winnipeg council back in 1995 to take on 50-100 million to secure the team and help build a new arena. It's far too outlandish.

Losing the Jets hurt our pride more than anything else and I feel that's the same thing that would happen in Glendale for a few people. It won't hurt businesses as bad as the Mayor thinks.

PitbulI is offline  
Old
01-24-2011, 07:52 PM
  #27
kdb209
Global Moderator
 
kdb209's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 12,453
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinalera View Post
That picture is Escher, is it not? I love his work, and says PERFECTLY this whole Yotes saga-well done Kdb!
Yup - it's from Escher's "Ascending and Descending".


kdb209 is offline  
Old
01-24-2011, 07:58 PM
  #28
MAROONSRoad
f/k/a Ghost
 
MAROONSRoad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Maroons Rd.
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,069
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dado View Post
Where does Victoria's ECHL team go?
ECHL teams fold just about every other week. Does it even matter where they go? Victoria could easily support an AHL team, with its newish 7,500 seat arena, metro pop. of 365,000, and now it's more than possible with a team in Abbotsford -- makes sense from a travel standpoint.

GHOST

MAROONSRoad is offline  
Old
01-24-2011, 09:10 PM
  #29
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go
 
LadyStanley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: North of the Tank
Country: United States
Posts: 55,978
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GHOSTofMAROONSroad View Post
ECHL teams fold just about every other week. Does it even matter where they go? Victoria could easily support an AHL team, with its newish 7,500 seat arena, metro pop. of 365,000, and now it's more than possible with a team in Abbotsford -- makes sense from a travel standpoint.

GHOST
No, they do not. Bad hyperbole.

The ECHL is a pretty strong league, economically, for a minor league. Victoria is the **only** Canadian ECHL franchise. Can't see the league, nor the Victoria owners thrilled with that possibility.

And I doubt the local owners would be that interested in upgrading to an AHL franchise.

Maybe the Moose will move to QC?

LadyStanley is offline  
Old
01-24-2011, 09:15 PM
  #30
WJG
Running and Rioting
 
WJG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Country: Ireland
Posts: 12,745
vCash: 500
The Arizona Republic has written another article supporting Hulsizer, COG and the Coyotes

Quote:
The sale of the Coyotes to Chicago businessman Matthew Hulsizer remains an unknown. The sale of bonds to finance the transaction still is pending, and a lawsuit to halt the Hulsizer deal remains possible.

But for the Coyotes, there are two paths. One is the path of virtual certainty: If the bond sale fails or a lawsuit over the bond sale ensues, the Coyotes almost certainly are finished in Arizona, and Jobing.com Arena becomes a far bigger financial liability for Glendale taxpayers than it is now.

The other path is toward the unknown. Toward uncertainty and risks, yes. But also toward possibilities.
http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepu...25tue1-25.html

WJG is offline  
Old
01-24-2011, 09:16 PM
  #31
blues10
Registered User
 
blues10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,040
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyStanley View Post
No, they do not. Bad hyperbole.

The ECHL is a pretty strong league, economically, for a minor league. Victoria is the **only** Canadian ECHL franchise. Can't see the league, nor the Victoria owners thrilled with that possibility.

And I doubt the local owners would be that interested in upgrading to an AHL franchise.

Maybe the Moose will move to QC?
I thought the IEH boys were in some form of talks in bringing an ECHL team to Thunder Bay.

Would it be that crazy to think the Moose and Coyotes could trade places? The whole situtaion is pretty crazy and this could just be the craziest.

blues10 is offline  
Old
01-24-2011, 09:28 PM
  #32
blues10
Registered User
 
blues10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,040
vCash: 500
Something must be happening with this deal. Why is there another one of these opinion pieces in the Arizona Republic?


Last edited by blues10: 01-24-2011 at 09:29 PM. Reason: link already posted
blues10 is offline  
Old
01-24-2011, 09:28 PM
  #33
dandeneau44
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Manitoba
Country: Canada
Posts: 48
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Running Riot View Post
The Arizona Republic has written another article supporting Hulsizer, COG and the Coyotes



http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepu...25tue1-25.html

another pretty sad attempt at making people understand how "important" the coyotes are. This isn't as bad as the last opinion piece but they leave out plenty of facts and I suppose that's why it's an opinion piece but one has to wonder why now? After two years of uncertainty and everything being up in the air why is it only now that pieces like this are starting to come out? Just something to ponder I suppose.

dandeneau44 is offline  
Old
01-24-2011, 09:29 PM
  #34
Fugu
Guest
 
Country:
Posts: n/a
vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Running Riot View Post
The Arizona Republic has written another article supporting Hulsizer, COG and the Coyotes



http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepu...25tue1-25.html

That was very..... soupy. The Ilitch comparison is pretty bad too. Ilitch bought the team with his own money, and from the previous owner. The franchise had a decades long history and home-grown boy was buying his hometown team. One thing Ilitch knew was the community and what would work with the other hometown folk.

I realize this is an editorial piece but it's a bit misleading to state that the financial picture is worse without the Coyotes than with them. That actually is a point that doesn't stand up to scrutiny. Beasley has thrown out a figure of $500m+ revenues against a $197m cost.

That's just wrong.

 
Old
01-24-2011, 09:30 PM
  #35
PeeBee78
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: T-Dot!
Country: India
Posts: 301
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Running Riot View Post
The Arizona Republic has written another article supporting Hulsizer, COG and the Coyotes



http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepu...25tue1-25.html
It's just another opinion piece....

here is another one from a guy in Manitoba that supports the move also on Arizona Republic website....

http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepu...uelets254.html

We should have some answers in about 24 hours!

PB

PeeBee78 is offline  
Old
01-24-2011, 09:38 PM
  #36
Dado
Guest
 
Country:
Posts: n/a
vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by blues10 View Post
Something must be happening with this deal. Why is there another one of these opinion pieces in the Arizona Republic?
Generally, when someone opens a second front in the media, it's because they're losing on the main front.

That bond sales are still "pending" with just 4 business days until the ASG is....not positive.

 
Old
01-24-2011, 09:39 PM
  #37
Dado
Guest
 
Country:
Posts: n/a
vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Running Riot View Post
The Arizona Republic has written another article supporting Hulsizer, COG and the Coyotes
I didn't see an author named for that piece...given that Hulsizer is being compared to Ilitch, I'm going to assume it was written by Peak6's PR department.

 
Old
01-24-2011, 09:41 PM
  #38
RAgIn
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Sudbury, Ont
Country: Canada
Posts: 891
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeeBee78 View Post
It's just another opinion piece....

here is another one from a guy in Manitoba that supports the move also on Arizona Republic website....

http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepu...uelets254.html

We should have some answers in about 24 hours!

PB
What kind of answers are you expecting tomorrow? I don't think anything is forthcoming. For now.

Plus, im sure we'd get some tweets from Shannon, Dreger and IEH saying something is 'imminent'.

RAgIn is offline  
Old
01-24-2011, 09:42 PM
  #39
Coach
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 428
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeeBee78 View Post
It's just another opinion piece....

here is another one from a guy in Manitoba that supports the move also on Arizona Republic website....

http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepu...uelets254.html

We should have some answers in about 24 hours!

PB
I prefer the second article. I guess we'll see what the comments prefer.

Coach is offline  
Old
01-24-2011, 09:45 PM
  #40
RAgIn
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Sudbury, Ont
Country: Canada
Posts: 891
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dandeneau44 View Post
another pretty sad attempt at making people understand how "important" the coyotes are. This isn't as bad as the last opinion piece but they leave out plenty of facts and I suppose that's why it's an opinion piece but one has to wonder why now? After two years of uncertainty and everything being up in the air why is it only now that pieces like this are starting to come out? Just something to ponder I suppose.
Agreed. This is probably the most action I've ever seen coming out of Azcentral. Opinions included.

RAgIn is offline  
Old
01-24-2011, 09:45 PM
  #41
peter sullivan
Winnipeg
 
peter sullivan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 2,273
vCash: 500
it certainly looks like glendale are now standing at the precipice, but after all of their effort i really cant see them not making it work at this point....they have shown that they will sell their souls to get this done....whatever the issues are that have stopped this once again, my gut tells me that they will find a way....how, i have no idea, but they have never ceased to amaze me before....i don't think they will stop now.

there is still another rabbit in their hat.....i am convinced of it....and whatever it is, they will stand there and make it sound like it is all very normal....

surely we are nearing the end though.....how much longer can it go on.....there are a huge number of dominoes that need to fall before next season....its time the NHL pushed over the first one.

peter sullivan is offline  
Old
01-24-2011, 09:47 PM
  #42
dandeneau44
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Manitoba
Country: Canada
Posts: 48
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach View Post
I prefer the second article. I guess we'll see what the comments prefer.
The comments...well those will most likely be very interesting. I can picture it now, twenty some odd pages of people saying "Loserpeg had their chance you suck and it is cold out there" followed by some facts about the deal happening in Glendale and then we'll get more "you're stupid you don't know that the NHL has never wanted wpg back you're stupid go away" It's absolute insanity on those comment boards it's quite comical at times

dandeneau44 is offline  
Old
01-24-2011, 09:50 PM
  #43
borno87
Registered User
 
borno87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 325
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dado View Post
Generally, when someone opens a second front in the media, it's because they're losing on the main front.

That bond sales are still "pending" with just 4 business days until the ASG is....not positive.
2 words... PAGE VIEWS

There is no doubt that the AZcentral noticed quite the spike in traffic that came with the CoG statement and other postings late last week regarding this situation. All the link sharing going on this board and on twitter to AZcentral has surely caught the eye of their editor who is looking to capitalize on this hot topic... at least its hot outside of Glendale

borno87 is offline  
Old
01-24-2011, 09:53 PM
  #44
WJG
Running and Rioting
 
WJG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Country: Ireland
Posts: 12,745
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAgIn View Post
What kind of answers are you expecting tomorrow? I don't think anything is forthcoming. For now.

Plus, im sure we'd get some tweets from Shannon, Dreger and IEH saying something is 'imminent'.
Not that I disagree, but I think Shannon's sources in Glendale were mostly tied to Reinsdorf. When he walked away, so did Shannon's inside scoops.

Dreger basically reports what the NHL tells him to. Anyone remember when he broke the news that they had a conceptual agreement with Hulsizer?

And the less said about IEH the better .

I think there isn't a lot of build up leading into tomorrow because the decision is a government one, not a hockey-related one. All of us here suspect something is going on and that if COG ever kills the deal, that it will be tomorrow. But I don't think the rest of the hockey world (except for journalists like Lawless and maybe Shoalts) has been able to keep up with every single emerging detail in this saga.

Bond issues and parking reports are not the type of thing hockey insiders normally report on.


Last edited by WJG: 01-24-2011 at 09:59 PM.
WJG is offline  
Old
01-24-2011, 09:53 PM
  #45
dandeneau44
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Manitoba
Country: Canada
Posts: 48
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by peter sullivan View Post
it certainly looks like glendale are now standing at the precipice, but after all of their effort i really cant see them not making it work at this point....they have shown that they will sell their souls to get this done....whatever the issues are that have stopped this once again, my gut tells me that they will find a way....how, i have no idea, but they have never ceased to amaze me before....i don't think they will stop now.

there is still another rabbit in their hat.....i am convinced of it....and whatever it is, they will stand there and make it sound like it is all very normal....

surely we are nearing the end though.....how much longer can it go on.....there are a huge number of dominoes that need to fall before next season....its time the NHL pushed over the first one.
I can see the press conference with the mayor already. "here's the thing you guys it's been concluded that the parking revenues generated will not cover the bonds, however don't worry because even though it never seemed like we had a plan B, well we do! Here's what's gonna happen. Bear with me now. We're going to sell the movie rights to this whole fiasco! we've been offered the exact amount that we need to cover the rest of the cost. Calculations were done by a very trusted *wink wink* firm. Because remember if they leave i'm going to go and board up the arena myself"

dandeneau44 is offline  
Old
01-24-2011, 10:05 PM
  #46
RAgIn
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Sudbury, Ont
Country: Canada
Posts: 891
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Running Riot View Post
Not that I disagree, but I think Shannon's sources in Glendale were mostly tied to Reinsdorf. When he walked away, so did Shannon's inside scoops.

Dreger basically reports what the NHL tells him to. Anyone remember when he broke the news that they had a conceptual agreement with Hulsizer?

And the less said about IEH the better .

I think there isn't a lot of build up leading into tomorrow because the decision is a government one, not a hockey-related one. All of us here suspect something is going on and that if COG ever kills the deal, that it will be tomorrow. But I don't think the rest of the hockey world (except for journalists like Lawless and maybe Shoalts) has been able to keep up with every single emerging detail in this saga.

Bond issues and parking reports are not the type of thing they normally report on.
Agreed somewhat on Shannon and Dreger, but if the deal would indeed fall through, im sure they would be informed before it actually hit the press.

As far as Lawless and Shoalts, they've been pretty quiet on up to date information. Shoalts in particular. Azcentral has actually been leading the charge lately.

But one thing I know would happen is that IEH would congratulate Winnipeg on getting their team back and they would most certainly grill GWI for helping to kill the deal.

Also, I just don't see the COG saying tomorrow that the deal is dead.

Well, never say never, but I'd highly doubt that. It's not an item on the agenda


Last edited by RAgIn: 01-24-2011 at 10:15 PM.
RAgIn is offline  
Old
01-24-2011, 10:08 PM
  #47
davemac1313
Registered User
 
davemac1313's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Keewatin, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 524
vCash: 143
lol...damn wheres my thumbs up button

davemac1313 is offline  
Old
01-24-2011, 10:14 PM
  #48
cbcwpg
Registered User
 
cbcwpg's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Between the Pipes
Country: United Nations
Posts: 5,928
vCash: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Running Riot View Post
The Arizona Republic has written another article supporting Hulsizer, COG and the Coyotes


http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepu...25tue1-25.html
Comparing Hulsizer to Mike Ilitch and the Coyotes to the Red Wings.

What's next.... The Arizona Republic will be claiming that the Coyotes will be pulling in money like the Leafs after this deal goes through.

Well, to the AZ Republic, I say, stick to the facts. You are a news source, so report the news.

cbcwpg is online now  
Old
01-24-2011, 10:21 PM
  #49
MAROONSRoad
f/k/a Ghost
 
MAROONSRoad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Maroons Rd.
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,069
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyStanley View Post
No, they do not. Bad hyperbole.

The ECHL is a pretty strong league, economically, for a minor league. Victoria is the **only** Canadian ECHL franchise. Can't see the league, nor the Victoria owners thrilled with that possibility.

And I doubt the local owners would be that interested in upgrading to an AHL franchise.

Maybe the Moose will move to QC?
Comment re. ECHL was in jest.

Totally incorrect. Victoria will accept AHL upgrade in a heartbeat. Victoria is currently part of the Canucks organization as ECHL affiliate to the Moose and Canucks. My point was when Victoria gets a chance to take on the Moose, or rather the Canucks' AHL affiliate if it's not the Moose, what happens to the ECHL team is not important. I don't know if you are familiar with Victoria but it is easily large enough to host an AHL team, has an almost new arena and the city is a major source of fans for the Canucks. The original plan was to place a WHL team in the new arena and ECHL was something of consolation prize. Now that there is already an AHL team in the general area, I expect the Canucks to move their AHL team to Victoria in the near future.

Wrong again about Quebec City. Like many Canadian cities, they prefer Major Junior, which they already have, to the AHL and at any rate will likely have an NHL team in the next few years. Absolutely no interest in AHL in QC.

GHOST


Last edited by MAROONSRoad: 01-24-2011 at 10:43 PM.
MAROONSRoad is offline  
Old
01-24-2011, 10:22 PM
  #50
Killion
Global Moderator
 
Killion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Morocco
Country: Morocco
Posts: 22,098
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugu View Post
That was very..... soupy.
Galling Fugu. Of all the noive'. Chanelling the Detroit Red Wings, Ilitch & Arthur C. Clarke with platitudonous talk of "future paths" and the like is absolutely, well, its just plain blasphemous.

Killion is online now  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:08 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.