HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Hockey Talk by Country > Finland

I am visiting Finland next year, have lots of questions!

Old
01-24-2011, 05:51 PM
MurrayCraven24

vCash: 500
I am visiting Finland next year, have lots of questions!

So I am planning on taking a trip to Helsinki next year, and one of the big reasons is for hockey. I love european hockey, SM-Liiga and the DEL especially. Now I want to see it in person! I just have lots of questions.

Is there a store in Helsinki, or anywhere that sells jerseys from all SM-Liiga teams? Cause I will not leave that country until I am in possession of a Pelicans jersey!

Would I have any problems getting tickets when I get there, or is that something I should get in advance? I am thinking specifically of HIFK, Pelicans or Lukko games.

Do they hold arena tours?

Is the Kanada-Malja trophy on display anywhere?

Anybody want to drink a Koff with me? Seriously I would love to talk hockey with someone from another country.

If anyone could be of help I would greatly appreciate it. This is my first trip alone and out of the states so I am nervous and excited.
Thanks.

MurrayCraven24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2011, 02:32 AM
ES

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurrayCraven24 View Post
So I am planning on taking a trip to Helsinki next year, and one of the big reasons is for hockey. I love european hockey, SM-Liiga and the DEL especially. Now I want to see it in person! I just have lots of questions.

Is there a store in Helsinki, or anywhere that sells jerseys from all SM-Liiga teams? Cause I will not leave that country until I am in possession of a Pelicans jersey!

Would I have any problems getting tickets when I get there, or is that something I should get in advance? I am thinking specifically of HIFK, Pelicans or Lukko games.

Do they hold arena tours?

Is the Kanada-Malja trophy on display anywhere?

Anybody want to drink a Koff with me? Seriously I would love to talk hockey with someone from another country.

If anyone could be of help I would greatly appreciate it. This is my first trip alone and out of the states so I am nervous and excited.
Thanks.
I don't think there's really shops that sells all jerseys. You have to go to local town to get one. Lahti (Pelicans hometown) is about 100 kilometres from Helsinki so you should visit there.

Mostly the games are not getting sold out. HIFK vs. Jokerit or Lukko vs. Ässät in weekends might be difficult so in those games you should buy tickets in advance.

The trophy can be seen in Finnish Hockey Hall of Fame which is located in Tampere.

ES is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2011, 03:06 AM
Raimo Sillanpää

Next year? You're planning early

There isn't a store that sells jerseys anywhere else but at the arenas and they only sell their own jerseys. You can buy pelicans jerseys online though:
http://pelicansfanshop.ess.fi/

Fan jersey:
http://pelicansfanshop.ess.fi/pelica...-turkoosi.html

The site is in Finnish but clicking around you'll be able to find jerseys and see the prices. Hmm, they seem to ship to Finland only.. try popping them an email fanimyynti@pelicans.fi if they'd be willing to ship to USA or arrange something where you could pick it up somewhere when in Finland..

As theres so much time before your trip, I'd suggest you post on this or another thread again when its closer - you're bound to find someone who'll have a beer with you.

Raimo Sillanpää is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2011, 07:57 AM
TheMuumio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raimo Sillanpää View Post
There isn't a store that sells jerseys anywhere else but at the arenas and they only sell their own jerseys.
Actually, most teams have some of their stuff sold at some local supermarket or sports store also. Don't know about Pelicans though.
Even if they do it would still require a trip to Lahti (which is quite a quick one).

Edit: And it seems that 4 stores sell Pelicans stuff, all of those are in Lahti. http://pelicansfanshop.ess.fi/pelicans_fi/myymalat/

TheMuumio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2011, 01:11 PM
Jokerit Wasp

I dont think you will have any problems getting tickets for any matches, just buy them the day before, or the day of the match.

If you want a Pelicans jersey i would definitely recommend going to Lahti to see a game. Its only 1hr direct on a train and the arena is 15mins walk from the train station. You will also be able to take a train back to Helsinki after the game, or stay in Lahti.

The hockey shops in Helsinki only really sell Jokerit and HIFK jerseys.

Trophy is displayed in the HHOF located in the Tampere arena, so again i guess its worth visiting there for a couple of days and seeing a game.

Jokerit Wasp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2011, 04:25 AM
FiLe
Mr. Know-It-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jokerit Wasp View Post
Trophy is displayed in the HHOF located in the Tampere arena, so again i guess its worth visiting there for a couple of days and seeing a game.
A correction to this, the Finnish Hockey Museum (and HOF) is not located at Tampere Arena (Hakametsä) but in the Vapriikki Culture Center which can be found downtown.

FiLe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2011, 08:27 AM
Emppu

I went to Helsinki last year and I found some shops, but no one had more than 2 team jerseys. There's one in HIFK Arena (selling HIFK stuff and also Team Finland), one close to the previous one selling general hockey material, Espoo Blues jerseys and some NHL too. In Hartwall Areena you will be able to buy some Jokerit stuff.
If you want that Pelicans jersey... you will have to travel to Lahti. I wanted a JYP jersey but couldn't go to Jyväskylä, so I'm still trying to buy one

Have fun there, it's a great city!

Emppu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2011, 10:58 AM
MurrayCraven24

Thanks for all the help everyone!

MurrayCraven24 is offline   Reply With Quote