HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Martin Leclerc on discontent with RDS

Old
01-24-2011, 08:50 PM
donghabs98

vCash: 50
Martin Leclerc on discontent with RDS

http://ruefrontenac.com/mleclerc/327...in-leclerc-rds
I only watch RDS when cbc or tsn doesn't show montreal games.

donghabs98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2011, 08:53 PM
Toro

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by donghabs98 View Post
http://ruefrontenac.com/mleclerc/327...in-leclerc-rds
I only watch RDS when cbc or tsn doesn't show montreal games.
Whats up with all this? Is someone calling out RDS?

Can't read french...

Toro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2011, 08:57 PM
donghabs98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toro View Post

Can't read french...
just want to bring this up.

Last edited by donghabs98: 01-24-2011 at 09:03 PM.
Old
01-24-2011, 08:57 PM
ThaDevilGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toro View Post

Can't read french...
Basically he's saying that Pierre Houde and Benoit Brunet are overexposed by being on the air 82+ games every season and thus makes criticizing easy.

ThaDevilGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2011, 09:04 PM
Toro

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaDevilGirl View Post
Basically he's saying that Pierre Houde and Benoit Brunet are overexposed by being on the air 82+ games every season and thus makes criticizing easy.
thx, so no real news then..

Toro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2011, 09:06 PM
merlin

I do the same. Honestly think Pierre Houde is good. Brunet just drags him down. I like the way the games flow on CBC and TSN. Comments usually right on, almost like story telling. I have a bit of a preference for CBC. Pierre could benefit from a talented analyst with vocabulary...

I miss the Lecavalier and Tremblay (not Mario...) days although mostly the Tremblay days.

merlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2011, 09:08 PM
KadrüH

I think he has a point but we have to admit something, Brunet is really bad no matter what.

I don't understand the hate for Pierre Houde though, his "ET LE BUUUUT" is so awesome and pumping, I don't know who'd be better.

KadrüH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2011, 09:09 PM
The n00b King
Kingin' since 2003

His article is misdirected.

People arent complaining so much about the Houde/Brunet duo.

But mostly about Brunet and the lack of professionalism offered by the entire staff that works at RDS for hockey coverage.

Someone should let the writer of the article know.

The n00b King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2011, 09:11 PM
Bud2790

I always watch RDS. The only times I watch CBC is when I know Bob Cole and Harry Neale are not the analysts for the game, can't stand them.

Pierre Houde is fine, Brunet is the problem!

Bud2790 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2011, 09:12 PM
MXD

The point of his column is...

If somebody spends 100 nights in your living room a year.... you'd probably be bored.

MXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2011, 09:14 PM
donghabs98

Quote:
Originally Posted by KadrüH View Post
I think he has a point but we have to admit something, Brunet is really bad no matter what.

I don't understand the hate for Pierre Houde though, his "ET LE BUUUUT" is so awesome and pumping, I don't know who'd be better.
I know his "ET LE BUUUUT" gets me pump up

Old
01-24-2011, 09:20 PM
Markowicz
Simple Jacques

Interesting article. Talks mostly about how there's a growing number of french quebecers who are getting annoyed by RDS's duo of Brunet/Houde and watch CBC or TSN when they can. The writer suggests that maybe the fact that Brunet and Houde do every single game makes them an easier target for criticism, unlike duos of the past who only showed 1 game a week, (Tremblay/Lecavalier on SRC).

Markowicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2011, 09:21 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

He's saying we're annoyed of the Habs play-by-play on RDS because we see them too often. While the revered duo of Gilles Tremblay and René Lecavalier back in the day were on tv only once a week and if they would have been seen there all week, people would have been tired of them too. And that oversaturation is the problem.

I wouldn't mind if Houde and Brunet were only once a week with other commentators on other days. But to me the problem goes beyond that, it touches not only the PBP during games but the whole cast of guys on their sport shows in general are unprofessional, they carry grudges, their approach to describing sport-especially hockey is the equivalent of a couple of drunken guys in a bar. The only guy that can do a sensible job and come up with a researched analysis in Montreal is Danny Dubé. He's the only one that gets it(with his partner on radio Martin Maguire also).

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2011, 09:31 PM
IRON JELLY*

I pay a couple of bucks a month for RDS here in Ontario so I can get every game on TV. The announcers can be as crappy as they want, as long as I get to watch the game, I'm happy.

IRON JELLY* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2011, 09:53 PM
Templeton

I think that the main problem is that they (mostly Brunet) don't know their hockey that well. Plus, they are paid to describe and inform people about hockey and it's just a fail. They absolutely don't know the farm team until they get a call-up. They barely know young talents of the league until they score 40 goals or they know them because they are picked top 5. I know B.B. played NHL and all, but he couldn't describe his mother to save his life. He brings nothing to the table and he isn't a color guy. That's kind of useless to listen to them if they bring nothing else than usual statistics that we can find everywhere.

They are to blame, but the team around them are just as lame. Who cares that Lucic's favorite book is The Secret? When they show those stupid stats, they don't show overtime goals. I hope they will try to elevate the quality of the information with the upcoming of the nordique's medias.

Templeton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2011, 09:54 PM
Mr Rogers

Overexposure might be one of the reasons, but times have changed and media is everywhere now.
Every single major sports broadcasting company has to deal with this when evaluating their product. Do you think the guys covering the Red Sox or Yankees for 160 something games a season use ''overexposure'' as an excuse for poor coverage?

I can't believe this journalist thinks that's the only cause as to why people are complaining.

Mr Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2011, 10:18 PM
Neutrino

Poor Pierre Houde...

He's great at his job but he's forced to do too much because of Brunet's lack of original ideas and vocabulary. With the growing complexity of the game of hockey we should have an explicit and informative description of the play and events. It's normal for a commentator to have his view on the matter but he should be able to explain his point of view and the other possible perspectives.

I don't see an end to this situation though... There are no real possible replacements for Brunet in the RDS team, they all suck

Neutrino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2011, 10:33 PM
coolasprICE

Didn't read the article, but if he claims it's boredom, than what about all the other markets that have the same commentator duos cover all of the games? I don't see threads on other boards about trying to get one of their commentators fired.

Brunet is the problem (not Houde); and RDS also needs to invest in shooting HD during the intermission

coolasprICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2011, 11:06 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by KadrüH View Post

He says ''ET LE BUUUUUT'' on average about 2.59 times a game, which takes up about 10seconds at the most. What about his other 2h spent babbling?

I will admit, most of his play by play is good. His added comments though, are terrible, as bad as Brunet's. I'm also fed up by the numerous mistakes made, whether it's the wrong player mentioned, saying it's a save when it's not, poor shot when it's not, etc...
His analysis over certain players and plays is also very poor.
All in all, I'm quite fed up. He wasn't as bad with Yvon, but over these past two years, I feel he's deteriorated a lot.

As for what Leclerc is saying, no, it's not boredom. I remember a few years back when they use to broadcast games Tuesdays on TQS, it was a complete farce.
It's not boredom, and it's not just Houde and Brunet. It's morons like Bergeron, Hartley, Therrien, Langdeau, etc..that also get air time on l'Antichambre. It's the lack of professionalism in general shown by most of their employees. It's about having morons like Luc Gelinas that can't even put two words of english together without making a mistake conduct interviews in english with players. It even concerns their website.

RDS as a whole is a joke. Anybody watches this channel outside hockey games and perhaps the occasional L'Antichambre??..If the Habs game were broadcasted on LCN and followed by le Match, who would switch over to RDS?..

RDS needs a total revamp.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2011, 11:08 PM
FeelsLike93

I dont really see the big deal I mean I love the idea of french+hockey together, just be glad we have it. French broadcasting is so much more enthusiastic then the english. Who cares if Brunet says stupid things i thought u care about watching the habs and not listening to what the announcers say.

I dunno about the rest of you but when the games on i zone out and barely pay attention towhat the announcers are even talking about. But I do get that when CBC and TSN are doing it it flows better and they tell stories n stuff while they broadcast but come on....I'm sure those guys try there best and dont mean to sabotage the game with the things they say. There's way too much complaining on this board about Rds, I personally have no problem with it

FeelsLike93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2011, 11:12 PM
Forsead

A big problem IMO is the lack of interest in what Benoit Brunet is saying. He never talk about how effective are some more unknown player and why they are, he never do any analysis he just state opinion without backing it. It's something saying this a player is good, but say why. As I exemple correct me if I'm wrong but during the ottawa game he has not mentioned Zack Smith background, nor that he was having a tremendous night, because he was working alot and seem to be always at the right place and that he also is a good defensive forward even if he was more showing his offense during that game, etc.

Forsead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2011, 11:16 PM
FF de Mars

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin View Post
I do the same. Honestly think Pierre Houde is good. Brunet just drags him down. I like the way the games flow on CBC and TSN. Comments usually right on, almost like story telling. I have a bit of a preference for CBC. Pierre could benefit from a talented analyst with vocabulary...

I miss the Lecavalier and Tremblay (not Mario...) days although mostly the Tremblay days.
I think Pierre Houde drags Benoit Brunet down. He doesn't understand the game, which leads him to use his "vocabulary" to cover it up. It reminds me of Versailles, in the 17th century, when the King and Nobles covered up with perfume and never took baths, while taking dumps in the castle, for the domestics to clean.

Last edited by FF de Mars: 01-25-2011 at 01:30 AM.
FF de Mars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2011, 11:40 PM
coolasprICE

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelsLike93 View Post
French broadcasting is so much more enthusiastic then the english. Who cares if Brunet says stupid things i thought u care about watching the habs and not listening to what the announcers say.
are you just referring to the ''Et Le but?'' part?

coolasprICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2011, 11:48 PM
Pandemic

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRON JELLY View Post
I pay a couple of bucks a month for RDS here in Ontario so I can get every game on TV. The announcers can be as crappy as they want, as long as I get to watch the game, I'm happy.
This is basically how I feel in Vancouver.

Pandemic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2011, 12:50 AM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

I think people are letting Houde Scott Free way too much. Apart from saying "Et Le But!" well, he say a lot of stupid things. As much as Brunet sometime.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote