HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Biggest Winner Through 12 hours of the FA Period!...

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-01-2004, 03:12 PM
  #1
Trottier
Very Random
 
Trottier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: San Diego
Posts: 26,611
vCash: 500
Biggest Winner Through 12 hours of the FA Period!...

...The LA Kings, by a mile.

Rid themselves of huge contracts of two players (Allison and Deadmarsh) who quite possibly may never play again (yet, curiously, are discussed by a few on these boards as if they are healthy). Terribly unfortunate that these players' respective careers have been affected greatly by injury, but smart business by Taylor & Co.

Looking less likely to give into the absurd contract demands of Ziggy "shiny personal numbers and no team results to show for it" Palffy, thus eliminating another huge contract.

Combined these with Anson "Deadwood" Carter, Modry, etc., and the Kings have pared approx. $20M off their payroll in a short span. In the real world (where $$$ matters) that's impressive.

And, one could argue, their current roster, with a very likely upgrade in net, will be stronger than last year's team, regardless of the loss of Palffy's offense (and injuries).

Sets them up nicely to either make additional acquisitions now, get their finances in order and/or wait out until a new CBA is in place.

Shrewd management.


Last edited by Trottier: 07-01-2004 at 03:23 PM.
Trottier is online now  
Old
07-01-2004, 03:20 PM
  #2
Edler Statesman*
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: New West, BC
Posts: 23,807
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trottier
Looking less likely to give into the absurd contract demands of Ziggy "shiny personal numbers and no team results to show for it" Palffy, thus eliminating another huge contract.
I agreed with your entire post, except this. Palffy raises the level of play of the whole team. He's the reason LA's powerplay was so good early in the season, and it's due to his loss that the Kings failed to make the postseason.

Edler Statesman* is offline  
Old
07-01-2004, 03:22 PM
  #3
Ajacied
Remember #9
 
Ajacied's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Netherlands
Country: Netherlands
Posts: 23,106
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trottier
the Kings have pared approx. $20M off their payroll in a short span. In the real world (where $$$ matters) that's impressive.
How is dumping salary by not re-signing your high priced veterans considered impressive? Can't anyone do that?

Ajacied is offline  
Old
07-01-2004, 03:24 PM
  #4
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment
 
GKJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Do not trade plz
Country: United States
Posts: 107,612
vCash: 6115
The Kings did not pay a penny to Allison, Aulin and Deadmarsh this season. Insurance paid for that.

GKJ is offline  
Old
07-01-2004, 03:24 PM
  #5
Trottier
Very Random
 
Trottier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: San Diego
Posts: 26,611
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmad
I agreed with your entire post, except this. Palffy raises the level of play of the whole team. He's the reason LA's powerplay was so good early in the season, and it's due to his loss that the Kings failed to make the postseason.
Fair enough. I guess I was on his case for his disappearing act a couple of playoff seasons back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modano = Dud
How is dumping salary by not re-signing your high priced veterans considered impressive? Can't anyone do that?
Is the concept of "payroll flexibility" and the roster maneuverability it affords a team such a foreign concept?

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson
The Kings did not pay a penny to Allison, Aulin and Deadmarsh this season. Insurance paid for that.
I am not familiar with the exact terms of the Kings' insurance policy on those players; perhaps you are. Typically, a premium is paid on such policies, with coverage kicking in after the player misses a certain amount of time. I am unaware if it continues from season-to-season or rolls back annually. Regardless, these salaries are off their books now, so they reap the benefits, with regard to pursuing other players.


Last edited by Trottier: 07-01-2004 at 03:32 PM.
Trottier is online now  
Old
07-01-2004, 03:32 PM
  #6
Ajacied
Remember #9
 
Ajacied's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Netherlands
Country: Netherlands
Posts: 23,106
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trottier
Is the concept of "payroll flexibility" and the maneuverability it affords a team such a foreign concept?
I just don't see how not re-signing your guys can be considered as impressive. Try to dump 7.5 million dollar has beens with no trade clauses, that would be impressive. Dumping salary can be considered impressive, but hardly like this.. He did well by not re-siging them, but impressive? Heck no..

Ajacied is offline  
Old
07-01-2004, 03:34 PM
  #7
Street Hawk
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 3,588
vCash: 500
Not quite right... I heard on CBC this past year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson
The Kings did not pay a penny to Allison, Aulin and Deadmarsh this season. Insurance paid for that.
LA paid for Deadmarsh's contract because he was a RFA last season, whom the Kings qualified, this after he missed the final few weeks with a concusion. He hadn't been cleared to play, but the Kings took the chance and thus had to pay him his 3 million contract, insurance only picks up contracts for Injuries suffered during the contract, not ones signed before a contract.

Street Hawk is offline  
Old
07-01-2004, 03:39 PM
  #8
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
RIP Kev
 
DaveG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Durham NC
Country: United States
Posts: 29,750
vCash: 445
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trottier
...The LA Kings, by a mile.

Rid themselves of huge contracts of two players (Allison and Deadmarsh) who quite possibly may never play again (yet, curiously, are discussed by a few on these boards as if they are healthy). Terribly unfortunate that these players' respective careers have been affected greatly by injury, but smart business by Taylor & Co.
I don't think people are assuming that they are healthy by any meens. Most of the talk that I've heard at various places reguarding them is signing them to signifigantly smaller contracts (under one million dollars base) with signifigant play-based incentives. Would be worth the chance if they can recover to become even close to what they once were.

DaveG is offline  
Old
07-01-2004, 03:41 PM
  #9
Trottier
Very Random
 
Trottier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: San Diego
Posts: 26,611
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Modano = Dud
He did well by not re-siging them, but impressive? Heck no..
I'll gladly defer to whatever word you wish to substitute. Point remains: Kings have enormous payroll flexibility today, by virtue of smart management (or "no-brainer" management, if you prefer). Especially this summer, that is a desirable position.

Personally, could care little how they did, through "luck" or "brillaince", they divested themselves of $20M. Every other team in the league would love to be able to do same.

Trottier is online now  
Old
07-01-2004, 04:50 PM
  #10
skolgoar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 641
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trottier
I'll gladly defer to whatever word you wish to substitute. Point remains: Kings have enormous payroll flexibility today, by virtue of smart management (or "no-brainer" management, if you prefer). Especially this summer, that is a desirable position.

Personally, could care little how they did, through "luck" or "brillaince", they divested themselves of $20M. Every other team in the league would love to be able to do same.
It should also be noted that the Kings have been preparing for this situation over the past couple of seasons by making good fiscal decisions. The key is that the Kings have the greatest amount of flexibility to go after any of the free agents without worrying about being able to afford it or the repercussions of any type of salary cap negotiated in the next CBA.

skolgoar is offline  
Old
07-01-2004, 04:51 PM
  #11
SwOOsh*
 
SwOOsh*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,271
vCash: 500
Calgary to me is the biggest winner being able to re-negotiate Turek's contract.

SwOOsh* is offline  
Old
07-01-2004, 05:20 PM
  #12
Fotiu22
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Rockville Centre, NY
Posts: 491
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Fotiu22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trottier
Looking less likely to give into the absurd contract demands of Ziggy "shiny personal numbers and no team results to show for it" Palffy, thus eliminating another huge contract.
How do you figure? he turned down 19mil over 3yrs because he doesn't want to be in L.A.. I am sure he is aware that in this flooded free agent market with the lockout looming he will be lucky to get a contract that lucrative. So, IMO, it has nothing to do with his greed, in fact, it's quite the opposite.

Fotiu22 is offline  
Old
07-01-2004, 06:07 PM
  #13
Edler Statesman*
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: New West, BC
Posts: 23,807
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwOOsh
Calgary to me is the biggest winner being able to re-negotiate Turek's contract.
but they also lost Conroy, so they're not the biggest winners in my books. First-line center is a big hole to fill.

Edler Statesman* is offline  
Old
07-01-2004, 06:32 PM
  #14
MrMackey
Registered User
 
MrMackey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: cgy
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,061
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Modano = Dud
How is dumping salary by not re-signing your high priced veterans considered impressive? Can't anyone do that?
Toronto obviously can't.

MrMackey is offline  
Old
07-01-2004, 06:34 PM
  #15
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment
 
GKJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Do not trade plz
Country: United States
Posts: 107,612
vCash: 6115
The Kings got a whole lot better today since Jaroslav Modry isn't coming back...

GKJ is offline  
Old
07-01-2004, 06:49 PM
  #16
Reaper45
Registered User
 
Reaper45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: South Bay
Country: United States
Posts: 30,564
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson
The Kings got a whole lot better today since Jaroslav Modry isn't coming back...
Amen to that.

Reaper45 is offline  
Old
07-01-2004, 07:01 PM
  #17
Sam
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 1,957
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trottier
Looking less likely to give into the absurd contract demands of Ziggy "shiny personal numbers and no team results to show for it" Palffy, thus eliminating another huge contract.
Wow. And the underrating of Ziggy Palffy continues. Though Ziggy does have those nice "shiny personal numbers," his impact is evident in the Kings record (or results if you prefer) with and without Palffy.

With Ziggy Palffy, the Kings were 14-10-7-4. That record projects to 91.37 points over an 82-game season.
Without Ziggy Palffy, the Kings were 14-19-9-5. That record projects to 73.28 points over the full season, 18 points less than with him.

FYI, he played very well in his last playoff series as well, tallying 9 points in 7 games.
Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson
The Kings did not pay a penny to Allison, Aulin and Deadmarsh this season. Insurance paid for that.
The Kings paid Deadmarsh all of his salary since his injury was a pre-existing condition, and he had signed a new deal in the offseason. Insurance pays 80% of the salary so the Kings still had to pay $1.6M for Allison. And I believe that teams only have to insure their top five salaries so Aulin may or may not have been insured.

Sam is offline  
Old
07-01-2004, 07:02 PM
  #18
txpd
Registered User
 
txpd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 39,121
vCash: 500
the biggest winner in the ufa market so far are the owners in the cba negotiations.
first day passes and nothing happens. all the big dollar players remain on the market.

txpd is online now  
Old
07-01-2004, 07:07 PM
  #19
tom_servo
Registered User
 
tom_servo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 10,575
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson
The Kings did not pay a penny to Allison, Aulin and Deadmarsh this season. Insurance paid for that.
I don't believe insurance kicks in until after 30 missed games. Maybe that number varies, but I'm sure the team still took a hit.

tom_servo is offline  
Old
07-01-2004, 07:21 PM
  #20
Mark Pavelich
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 1,107
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Mark Pavelich
So far the winner is the Rangers for not repeating recent history. We'll see if they can avoid doing something ridiculous.

Mark Pavelich is offline  
Old
07-01-2004, 08:52 PM
  #21
Heimy
Registered User
 
Heimy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: I was just here
Posts: 4,731
vCash: 500
I'll nominate the Panthers for being in great financial shape.

They extended qualifying offers to 11 players, including eight off the NHL roster. Most notable are centers Olli Jokinen and Vaclav Nedorost; left wingers Christian Bergland and Niklas Hagman; right winger Juraj Kolnik and defenseman Mike Van Ryn.
So now the Panthers' payroll, at $9.2 million prior to the moves, is at $15.3 million as a result, though two players, Jokinen and Van Ryn could raise it further if they file for arbitration and/or negotiate better deals for themselves.

Keenan, who now figures to have as much as $15 million to spend, said he is "looking at signing up to six" free agents, including a backup to goaltender Roberto Luongo.

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/sports/...2e0b100c9.html

Heimy is offline  
Old
07-03-2004, 12:49 AM
  #22
TonySCV
Moderator
One More Time
 
TonySCV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 12,267
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam
Wow. And the underrating of Ziggy Palffy continues. Though Ziggy does have those nice "shiny personal numbers," his impact is evident in the Kings record (or results if you prefer) with and without Palffy.

With Ziggy Palffy, the Kings were 14-10-7-4. That record projects to 91.37 points over an 82-game season.
Without Ziggy Palffy, the Kings were 14-19-9-5. That record projects to 73.28 points over the full season, 18 points less than with him.
I asked a similar question on letsgokings.com and PSP provided these stats...

If you take out the 11 game collapse at the end of the season:

The Kings were 14-10-7-4 WITH Ziggy in the lineup
The Kings were 14-10-9-3 WITHOUT Ziggy in the lineup

The last 11 games weren't included in the calculations because that was when the Kings added Carter, Straka came back from IR, Cowan was added, etc. Not the same team as before, and clearly change wasn't good in the Kings' case.

TonySCV is online now  
Old
07-03-2004, 12:58 AM
  #23
BDubinskyNYR17*
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: New York
Posts: 10,761
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySCV
I asked a similar question on letsgokings.com and PSP provided these stats...

If you take out the 11 game collapse at the end of the season:

The Kings were 14-10-7-4 WITH Ziggy in the lineup
The Kings were 14-10-9-3 WITHOUT Ziggy in the lineup

The last 11 games weren't included in the calculations because that was when the Kings added Carter, Straka came back from IR, Cowan was added, etc. Not the same team as before, and clearly change wasn't good in the Kings' case.
The Rangers are the winner in my books for not going crazy. If they sign one of Rolston or Conroy or maybe a guy like Schneider, Zhitnik, or Cullimore, wont be that bad. Even if the Rangers all they do is sign UFA 26 and under, I'll be happy. The are building a team the right away, they should have done this when Sather became Rangers GM, Maybe Rangers would be in the playoffs for 2 or 3 years, not out for 7.

BDubinskyNYR17* is offline  
Old
07-03-2004, 01:31 AM
  #24
Rotting Corpse*
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Kelowna, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,300
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Rotting Corpse* Send a message via MSN to Rotting Corpse*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heimy
Keenan, who now figures to have as much as $15 million to spend, said he is "looking at signing up to six" free agents, including a backup to goaltender Roberto Luongo.
Hmmm, six free agents, eh?

1. Brian Noonan.
2. Peter Zezel

...


Rotting Corpse* is offline  
Old
07-03-2004, 01:59 AM
  #25
Iggy-4-50
Registered User
 
Iggy-4-50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Ask your wife
Country: Switzerland
Posts: 5,390
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmad
but they also lost Conroy, so they're not the biggest winners in my books. First-line center is a big hole to fill.
Well, they also got pretty much a "free" Simon out of the Turek deal so far with more room for signings left!

In Sutter we trust.

Iggy-4-50 is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:16 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.