HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Bernie Federko

Old
01-25-2011, 08:19 AM
RECsGuy*

vCash: 500
Bernie Federko

1,091 GP - 404 G - 827 A - 1,231 PTS
Ten consecutive seasons of 50+ assists

Tell me about this HHOFer, seeing as I never saw him play and, based purely on his stats, can't understand why he never played in the Canada Cup.

RECsGuy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2011, 08:33 AM
begbeee

Because being above-average is not the same as being elite.

begbeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2011, 08:49 AM
BraveCanadian

He was an elite level player, unfortunately he was on the lower rung and Canada is always stacked in the middle.

Lots of very good centermen don't get a chance in Canada.

To put it in perspective, Steve Yzerman was also cut from a Canada Cup team and Dale Hawerchuk was employed as a checking center.

BraveCanadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2011, 09:00 AM
RECsGuy*

Quote:
Originally Posted by begbeee View Post
I believe his ten consecutive seasons of 50+ assists was an NHL record, if not still is, which is made all the more impressive when you realize he only played 14 season total (1 being partial: late season call-up after obliterating the minors as a rookie).

He also came up big during the real season, which can't be said about a lot of HHOF/supposed "greats": 91 GP - 35 G - 66 A - 101 PTS.

Are these pionts, combined, with his induction into the HHOF not the defintion of "elite?"

Old
01-25-2011, 09:48 AM
STLBlueshistory
@STLBlueshistory

Quote:
Originally Posted by RECsGuy View Post
I believe his ten consecutive seasons of 50+ assists was an NHL record, if not still is, which is made all the more impressive when you realize he only played 14 season total (1 being partial: late season call-up after obliterating the minors as a rookie).

He also came up big during the real season, which can't be said about a lot of HHOF/supposed "greats": 91 GP - 35 G - 66 A - 101 PTS.

Are these pionts, combined, with his induction into the HHOF not the defintion of "elite?"
Most of the time the folks who downplay Federko's legacy are the ones who did not see him very much or on a regular basis. I guarantee most people outside of St. Louis did not see him more than a handful of times a year when he was in his prime.

Living in St. Louis I got a chance to see him a lot more than most.

He played on some poor to mediocre teams in St. Louis and they did not get the national coverage as most teams while he played.

Who set up shop behind the net as well as Federko did before he came along?

Back to the original question...

You need to take a look at the CC teams and what Center would you have removed to put Federko on the team? I would have loved to see him have the opportunity to participate but I can't make a strong argument that he should have got the nod over any of the Centers that were chosen over him.

What really amazes me is he was the 3rd Center picked in the draft in 1976. One of those centers was his junior teammate Fred Williams. Of course I am happy as heck he didn't go earlier than he did.

Last edited by STLBlueshistory: 01-25-2011 at 10:06 AM.
STLBlueshistory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2011, 09:57 AM
RabbinsDuck

Gretzky had 13 straight seasons of 80+ assists.

RabbinsDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2011, 10:06 AM
RECsGuy*

Quote:
Originally Posted by RabbinsDuck View Post
Gretzky had 13 straight seasons of 80+ assists.

federko held the record until '88. gretzky would break it in '90.

Old
01-25-2011, 10:10 AM
begbeee

Quote:
You need to take a look at the CC teams and what Center would you have removed to put Federko on the team? I would have loved to see him have the opportunity to participate but I can't make a strong argument that he should have got the nod over any of the Centers that were chosen over him.
And that means he was above average not the elite.
Yes he is HOFer, but how many better centers were there? Always at least four or five. And we are talking only about canadian centers.
So no. He was not elite.

Old
01-25-2011, 10:30 AM
RECsGuy*

Quote:
And that means he was above average not the elite.
Yes he is HOFer, but how many better centers were there? Always at least four or five. And we are talking only about canadian centers.
So no. He was not elite.

Saying that because Messier, Stastny, Yzerman, Hawerchuck, Lemieux and Gretzky were all selected to play for Canada ahead of Federko made Bernie less than elite is quite laughable considering that those six legends were not only in their prime or very close to it at the time of those three Canada Cups ('81, '94, '87), but that those six would probably be the best six centers in the NHL in any era/year in league history. Missing the cut against 6 of the top 36 scorers in NHL history (#1 Gretzky, #2 Messier, #6 Yzerman, #7 Lemieux, #18 Hawerchuk, #36 Stastny) makes Federko less than elite? Come on, dude.

Old
01-25-2011, 10:35 AM
lovetherangers

He was a great player on an average team. Aside from Bernie the only other players that could be considered stars were Gilmour and Ronning (later). I remember Hunter had a couple of decent years, but he was hardly a superstar. The Blues had a pretty good Defense with Ramage, Natress, and Norwood. I remember they rotated Millen and another goalie often (Wamsley?) They rarely made it past the 2nd round of the playoffs. Federko always sticks out in my mind as the most dangerous player on the Blues, and I remember him playing at a superstar level for years. He is underrated historically IMO.

lovetherangers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2011, 10:43 AM
begbeee

Quote:
Saying that because Messier, Stastny, Yzerman, Hawerchuck, Lemieux and Gretzky were all selected to play for Canada ahead of Federko made Bernie less than elite is quite laughable considering that those six legends were not only in their prime or very close to it at the time of those three Canada Cups ('81, '94, '87), but that those six would probably be the best six centers in the NHL in any era/year in league history. Missing the cut against 6 of the top 36 scorers in NHL history (#1 Gretzky, #2 Messier, #6 Yzerman, #7 Lemieux, #18 Hawerchuk, #36 Stastny) makes Federko less than elite? Come on, dude.
These guys were elite, premier centers during 81-87. Federko couldnt break into this group for whole career.
He was TOP 5 in assists 2 times (4,5) and TOP 10 in points five times (8,9,9,9,10). Pavol Demitra has comparable TOP 10 record... No, he didnt break into truly elite group during his career.

Old
01-25-2011, 11:48 AM
TheDevilMadeMe

Denis Savard never got to play for Team Canada, and he was a far superior player to Bernie Federko.

Many think that Federko got into the HHOF because he was lucky enough to be among the first offensive stars of the 1980s to retire, scoring hadn't yet come down, and nobody knew yet that the high levels of scoring in the 80s were basically an aberration.

TheDevilMadeMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2011, 12:29 PM
RECsGuy*

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
Denis Savard never got to play for Team Canada, and he was a far superior player to Bernie Federko.

Many think that Federko got into the HHOF because he was lucky enough to be among the first offensive stars of the 1980s to retire, scoring hadn't yet come down, and nobody knew yet that the high levels of scoring in the 80s were basically an aberration.
Seeing as he was voted in 12 years after retiring, the judges had plenty of time to consider the validity of this "abberation" claim, which means "many" (you) would be wrong.

Old
01-25-2011, 12:52 PM
nutbar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim B View Post
You need to take a look at the CC teams and what Center would you have removed to put Federko on the team?
How about Ron Duguay in 1981?

nutbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2011, 01:26 PM
lovetherangers

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutbar View Post
I disagree, Duguay was absolutely essential in distracting the opponents with his outstanding perm.

lovetherangers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2011, 01:38 PM
FiveForDrawingBlood

One of the fringe Hall of Famers. He was a good player on a bad team. If he would have played on the Islanders or the early 80s or Oilers of mid/late 80s, be consider much better player.

FiveForDrawingBlood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2011, 01:46 PM
TheDevilMadeMe

Quote:
Seeing as he was voted in 12 years after retiring, the judges had plenty of time to consider the validity of this "abberation" claim, which means "many" (you) would be wrong.
When I said "many," I meant "many," as in "I've heard it from multiple people who watched him play" (I didn't).

You're right in that by 2002, the HHOF committee should have known better about 80s stats, but judging from the recent enshrinement of Dino Ciccarelli, they still don't.

Still, we're talking about a guy who never finished higher than 8th in points, and only finished 8-10 5 times. And he's a guy who didn't bring more than offense, as far as I know.

Only 2 NHL All-Star games?

Fairly weak "resume" in my opinion for a HHOF. Interested to read what people who actually saw him play think. I know a few regulars on this board consider him one of the worst inductions ever.

TheDevilMadeMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2011, 02:16 PM
seventieslord

Quote:
You said you can't understand why he never played for the Canada cup, they told you why, and you agree, but you still argue?

seventieslord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2011, 03:28 PM
JackSlater

Quote:
That pick is somewhat typical of team Canada over the course of Federko's career. They always made sure they had grit guys and they really valued chemistry. Add in the depth at centre and the relative reluctance (compared to now) to put centres on the wing and it is not remotely surprising that Federko never player for Canada at a best on best. There are a decent amount of forwards better than Federko who played after 1976 and didn't make team Canada.

JackSlater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2011, 04:10 PM
STLBlueshistory
@STLBlueshistory

Quote:
I am going to assume Duguay mainly played wing in the Canada Cup.

Some of the guys who were centers on the 1981 team were...

Gretzky
Trottier
Dionne
Perreault
Goring

STLBlueshistory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2011, 04:24 PM
arrbez
bad chi

Send a message via MSN to arrbez
Quote:
Tell me about this HHOFer, seeing as I never saw him play and, based purely on his stats, can't understand why he never played in the Canada Cup.
Regarding the Canada Cup, there have always been great playmaking centres who never made the team. Adam Oates and Denis Savard never played for Canada (not sure if Oates declined any invites, but I'm pretty sure Savard was just cut).

If you're a purely offensive C, you'd better be supremely dominant at it to make Team Canada. It's just one of those things. Canada has so much depth that it doesn't need to take one-dimensional guy because there are usually a number of multi-dimensional guys who can do the same job offensively. Like, why take Marc Savard or Jason Spezza when you can take Ryan Getzlaf or Mike Richards? This is especially true for centres who are mainly playmakers, since they probably won't be usable on the wing.

arrbez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2011, 06:12 PM
SidGenoMario

He was so great that at a Saskatoon Blades game on Saturday, someone had the sudden desire to get up onto the catwalk and steal his retired jersey banner. He was caught by security on the way down though.

SidGenoMario is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2011, 06:40 PM
Canadiens1958

Bernie Federko

Quote:
Simply an honest, elite quality center who never took a shift off. Never played with a sniper / finisher or a quarterback type. d-man. No cheapies either.

Under appreciated on this board.

Canadiens1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2011, 10:30 PM
vadim sharifijanov
TRUMP-BENNING 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovetherangers View Post
He was a great player on an average team. Aside from Bernie the only other players that could be considered stars were Gilmour and Ronning (later). I remember Hunter had a couple of decent years, but he was hardly a superstar. The Blues had a pretty good Defense with Ramage, Natress, and Norwood. I remember they rotated Millen and another goalie often (Wamsley?) They rarely made it past the 2nd round of the playoffs. Federko always sticks out in my mind as the most dangerous player on the Blues, and I remember him playing at a superstar level for years. He is underrated historically IMO.
in the early 80s, federko also played with mike liut and joe mullen during a string of really good years by both, especially liut.

vadim sharifijanov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2011, 10:51 PM
Hardyvan123
tweet@HardyintheWack

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post

That just about sums up his career.

In retrospect I doubt he will make it into the current hall being voted on here.

He was a very good point producer but lacks the intangibles and icing to go on the cake he made.

Hardyvan123 is offline   Reply With Quote