HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Habs to make a push for Iginla?

Old
01-25-2011, 01:18 PM
tinyzombies

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBee View Post
Rebuild? Habs probably have a 2-3 year window with the current group of players. Retool I understand, but rebuild doesn't make any sense.

I have no issue with the team standing pat and maybe adding a D-man at the deadline and going with what they have now and making a move for a top 6 in the offseason.

I can see Boston looking at Iginla though...especially if Savard is gone for the year.
I don't see us going anywhere with the AKosts and Pouliots and Gomez is getting lazier by the second. Markov is almost done and he's been carrying this team on his back for years along with Koivu.

I think rebuild is the right word. Unless we start reeling off top 6 worthy first and second rounders.

tinyzombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2011, 01:20 PM
jamz

I'd be ok with something like Kostitsyn+1st+Weber/Kristo

jamz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2011, 01:22 PM
FiveForDrawingBlood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredd View Post
According to Andy Strickland, St.Louis Blues' writer.

http://truehockey.com/articles/Iginla-Crosby-Forsberg

"Sources connected to the Montreal Canadiens indicate they plan on making a strong push to make a deal for Iginla. Word is they’ve already notified the Flames of their interest. Time will tell if they are successful."
Habs may inquire but Feaster has already assured Ignila he will not be traded this season. It was Hot Stove League two weeks ago

FiveForDrawingBlood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2011, 01:23 PM
Bronn
Registered Sellsword

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketzlaf View Post
I think everyone needs to stop acting as if 33 was old...

I used to think 30+ was old when i was in my early 20's (which i assume most of the posters here are). Now that i'm 31 i realized that it's not that bad. Hell i'm more in shape now then i was 10 years ago.

40 does scare me for some reason though

Bronn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2011, 01:24 PM
tinyzombies

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveForDrawingBlood View Post
Habs may inquire but Feaster has already assured Ignila he will not be traded this season. It was Hot Stove League two weeks ago
Pacioretty might turn his head. Subban would get it done. But none of that will happen.

Otherwise, it would take a couple high picks.

THAT shouldn't happen on our end.

I don't see what they would take... Emelin?

Old
01-25-2011, 01:25 PM
Next Best Thing*

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamz View Post
I'd be ok with something like Kostitsyn+1st+Weber/Kristo
According to their fans in the trade rumors section, they want nothing short of a superstar prospect back in return for him, citing ticket prices as a reason like that would happen...

Next Best Thing* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2011, 01:26 PM
Jedrik

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
To be fair, a few years ago we were nixing deadline deals involving Higgins, Komisarek, Perezhogin, A. Kostitsyn, etc because those guys were the top prospects we'd have for years to come. At a certain point we have to reconcile our projections for these prospects with our actual draft track record.
It's a good point and it puts things in perspective a bit. But we also have a lot of guys that we were smart not to move -- Pleks, for instance -- and others who have otherwise turned out well whether here or elsewhere (Subban, Price, Ribeiro, Halak, and to a lesser exstent, D'Ago and Lats).

Another issue is that having key guys on entry level contracts is essential for an organization's success nowadays. We already have several bloated contracts as it is, and I'd like to enjoy having young and cheap guys for a while to figure into this team's overall makeup.

Jedrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2011, 01:28 PM
tinyzombies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Next Best Thing View Post
According to their fans in the trade rumors section, they want nothing short of a superstar prospect back in return for him, citing ticket prices as a reason like that would happen...
Emelin's not a superstar??

Old
PinchedNerve

Kostitsyn, Leblanc, 1st = sign me up.

PinchedNerve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
PunkinDrublic*

Quote:
Yeah and what wrong with that ? Superstar for a superstar, sounds fair to me ! Where's the problem ?

PunkinDrublic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2011, 01:29 PM
FiveForDrawingBlood

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reem View Post
I used to think 30+ was old when i was in my early 20's (which i assume most of the posters here are). Now that i'm 31 i realized that it's not that bad. Hell i'm more in shape now then i was 10 years ago.

40 does scare me for some reason though
40 is not too bad. About the same as 30 I would say. But as you get close to 50 your body starts to change.

FiveForDrawingBlood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2011, 01:29 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Is Iginla the new Lecavalier now?

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2011, 01:32 PM
tinyzombies

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveForDrawingBlood View Post
40 is not too bad. About the same as 30 I would say. But as you get close to 50 your body starts to change.
Iginla is already taking Centrum Silver.

Old
01-25-2011, 01:33 PM
Prairie Habs

The starting point of any deal to Calgary would be a young top 6 C, so Eller or Leblanc. I would choose to move Eller because we sort of have a log-jam at C right now and when Gomez is ready to go is about the time Leblanc will step in. After that a first is mandatory for a young team and some young(ish) talent like Weber and Akost.

So either Eller + 1st + Weber + AKost for Iggy

Or to include a cap dump
Eller + 1st + Spacek + AKost for Iggy and Pardy/Staios

I'm not really up to date on Pardy but he is on a cheep deal and Staios is pretty gritty and has an expiring contract.

Prairie Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2011, 01:34 PM
Next Best Thing*

Quote:
Originally Posted by PunkinDrublic View Post
Yeah and what wrong with that ? Superstar for a superstar, sounds fair to me ! Where's the problem ?
Did you just skip over the word prospect?

Old
01-25-2011, 01:36 PM
guest1467

I would love Iginla. Despite what others think, I don´t think it would cost much. A prospect or two and pick. I would trade Andrei for him, or Weber and change.

guest1467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2011, 01:36 PM
SB164

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theosis View Post
As much as I would love to get Iginla, I don't see it happening with Markov and Gorges out. We'd be missing two key defensemen to make a huge push in the playoffs. I also think Iginla would cost way too much.
This.

However, Iginla is signed for 2 years. Gorges will be back by then, and hopefully so will Markov.

SB164 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2011, 01:38 PM
jmurray77

Chances like these for a team like this don't come along. You wait on Pax, leblanc, Eller, Tinordi, Subban, to become in their prime years and you lose Gio, cammy and pleks to age so it is not much different.

Iginla for Eller, Leblanc, Andrei and a 1st is an offer that gets it done. And then you enjoy at least 2 and a half seasons of a cup chase.

Next season has potential to be even better. Subban and pax another year under their belt w/ Price becoming elite. Markov return outside shot at Emelin.

About Martin and Iginla yeah Martin would have trouble because he likes to play top forwards that can play both ways a lot meaning more Ice for IGGY. Plus him and Cammy on eitherside of powerplay be sick. This is what they need I don't wanna wait on maybe prospects that typically don't pan out on this team.

I want a three year run. Worst case they have Price, Subban, pax, tinordi, plecks and Cammy at 31 W/ Bourival, Gallagher and Avitsin knocking at the door.

You lose Andrei who might be great in another situation. Eller might be a 2nd line player quit possibly a 3rd. You lose Leblanc and two way centre which max potential of say patrice bergeron w/ out the grit. A 1st round pick is a crap shoot. You might get David Wilkie or you might get Price. I take the chance to get a 30 goal man w/ leadership and toughness today any day, for a run at a cup.

jmurray77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
googlymoogly

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinchedNerve View Post
Kostitsyn, Leblanc, 1st = sign me up.
To me this is too much Cammy must go with AK. The package would have to be Cammy and AK then we start to get our youth more ice time and games. I think with Iginla on the Pleks line Pouliot would break out big time with those two. If Pouliot struggles try Eller to see or even DD. Next summer with Cammy and AK gone even with Iginla's $7M contract we freed up almost three million when Cammy and AK were traded.

Montreal needs to protect their youth core that will transition in place when guys like Gomer Pleks, Gionta, Markov, Iginla? would be gone.

googlymoogly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
PunkinDrublic*

Quote:
Did you just skip over the word prospect?
Prospect or not who cares Superstar for Superstar ! and no i didn't skip over !
They are absolutely right ! He is a superstar and should egt a superstar in return be it prospect or soemone already proven.

Old
01-25-2011, 01:43 PM
Next Best Thing*

Quote:
Prospect or not who cares Superstar for Superstar ! and no i didn't skip over !
They are absolutely right ! He is a superstar and should egt a superstar in return be it prospect or soemone already proven.
Not in a cap world, where the younger superstar player will be very cheap and add a lot to the roster, or more of the same (ie. Subban, Pacioretty), and having to give up our first round pick on top? I don't think we will see much of these trades happen anymore...

Old
01-25-2011, 01:44 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Flames are dealing from a position of weakness.

Fish on The Sand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2011, 01:45 PM
PunkinDrublic*

Quote:
Not in a cap world, where the younger superstar player will be very cheap and add a lot to the roster, or more of the same (ie. Subban, Pacioretty), and having to give up our first round pick on top? I don't think we will see much of these trades happen anymore...
There arent many Iginla's on the market either ? When was the last time you saw someone who is the TOTAL package like Iginla being traded ?

Old
01-25-2011, 01:45 PM
guest1467

Quote:
Originally Posted by googlymoogly View Post
To me this is too much Cammy must go with AK. The package would have to be Cammy and AK then we start to get our youth more ice time and games. I think with Iginla on the Pleks line Pouliot would break out big time with those two. If Pouliot struggles try Eller to see or even DD. Next summer with Cammy and AK gone even with Iginla's $7M contract we freed up almost three million when Cammy and AK were traded.

Montreal needs to protect their youth core that will transition in place when guys like Gomer Pleks, Gionta, Markov, Iginla? would be gone.
You don´t want to trade Andrei and Cammy, that makes us worse on wing than before. Never trade for a weakness and make it worse. Andrei and prospect, or anything similar in value should be the only thing offered.

guest1467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2011, 01:49 PM
Picaroon

Please do not trade Pac. He is the player we have been waiting for for years. Iginla-esque in his own right. That being said, Iggy has been my favorite player for a long time. He does it all. Anyone but Pac I say.

Picaroon is offline   Reply With Quote