HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Skate socks: hockey name brand or drugstore variety?

Old
01-26-2011, 11:46 AM
SouthpawTRK

vCash: 500
I would charge them double for their sharpenings to have to deal with their stank barebacked skates

SouthpawTRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2011, 05:59 PM
ChiTownHawks
HFBoards Sponsor

It's funny how much cash we drop on equpiment but we all recoil at the thought of a $15 sock. I did the same thing when I first saw how much they were until I finally broke down and I got a pair. I have the Bauer Vapors and have not looked back. The offer a nice snug fit and they dont move around at all. Plus they are the perfect weight, not too thick or thin.

Basically whatever works for you is good, as you can see many people find different things that work, but if your asking for my opinion I would recommend the Vapors every time.

ChiTownHawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2011, 06:00 PM
Jules Winnfield
Top 6 wing please...

Very thin under armour socks. You kinda have to look around for them. They aren't the normal tennis shoe type of sock.

Can't stand thick socks while skating.

Jules Winnfield is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2011, 06:03 PM
kr580

Send a message via AIM to kr580
I use really thin ankle socks from Foot Locker/Champs Sports. They're called 'Micro-Mini' socks. $2.99 for 2 pair, often on sale for $1.50/2pr. I do have a problem with the backs slipping down and bunching up under my heel when I skate hard. Probably should find longer socks. When they stay up they're perfect though.

kr580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2011, 06:07 PM
The Tikkanen
Pest

Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
I use the Vapor socks as well. My preference is to stay as light, dry and comfortable as possible. I also have a pair of the kevlar socks but they just don't feel as well as the Vapors.

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2011, 06:47 PM
Eleven
Solid As The Sun

Send a message via ICQ to Eleven Send a message via AIM to Eleven
My kid swears by old baseball socks. They are plenty long and fairly durable. I don't think he has ever worn a pair out.

Eleven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 12:37 AM
Splitbtw
Rebuild? Refresh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoeshine boy View Post
I prefer soccer socks, usually either Nike or Under Armour. they can be had fairly cheaply and are wicking material.
I've never skated barefoot because it makes your skates absolutely RANK! I have my own sharpening machine and when barefoot skaters give their skates I make them put dryer sheets in the boots and double-bag them. even then sometimes I have to ride home with the windows open.
I use under armour soccer socks as well. Did bear foot for awhile. It was cool but took too much effort to get skates on and off and I don't even notice a difference. I have two pairs and mix/match and put on whatever isn't wet. Sometimes I put on what's wet and then doesn't matter after 6 seconds.

Splitbtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 02:08 AM
Copeland

Only thing that's worked for me so far are tall dress socks (not cotton, some kind of elastic man-made material), but the problem is that they don't wick and can *sometimes* slip a little. Bought those UA hockey socks and what a waste of $17... o.O way thicker than dress socks...

Are these soccer socks you guys are talking about thin? Thinner or about the same as dress socks? Or are they in the vein of the hockey socks? And, excuse my dumb question cuz I don't play soccer, but are these the ones that go up to or near the knee? LOL sorry I just want to be clear

Copeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 03:12 AM
bokchoy

Dress socks for me.

bokchoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 08:37 AM
shoeshine boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copeland View Post
Only thing that's worked for me so far are tall dress socks (not cotton, some kind of elastic man-made material), but the problem is that they don't wick and can *sometimes* slip a little. Bought those UA hockey socks and what a waste of $17... o.O way thicker than dress socks...

Are these soccer socks you guys are talking about thin? Thinner or about the same as dress socks? Or are they in the vein of the hockey socks? And, excuse my dumb question cuz I don't play soccer, but are these the ones that go up to or near the knee? LOL sorry I just want to be clear
the Nike and UA socks are pretty thin. the Addidas are more of a cottony kind of material so I steer clear of them. the ones I use come up to the knee. if you google Nike Dri-fit soccer socks you'll find several places that sell them for cheap. you can often get 2 or 3 pairs of these socks for the cost of one pair of CCM or Bauer socks. I used to use the CCM Oxysock and I really can't tell any difference (except cost) between the CCM sock and the soccer socks.

shoeshine boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 10:54 AM
LarryO

I tried the CCM OXYSOX and found them too thick. I wear Wigwam sock liners. They're so thin, it's the next best thing to going barefoot.

LarryO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 11:13 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I went to Target and picked up a 3-pack of Champion socks. They were the thinnest socks I could fine. "Runners socks", ankle high, made of nylon and polyester, about $7. Last time I bought socks I picked up a 3-pack of socks that were a bit too thick. This time I went up and down the aisle and made sure the socks were thinner than all the dress socks. They were also a good deal thinner than soccer socks.

Mainly I'm tired of using black dress socks of various brands that get lost in the wash and are mismatched and don't stay up. So far they seem as thin as my Easton socks and are pretty tight around the arch (I've been having some arch pain from workouts). Going to try them out tomorrow.

I'd sure as hell like to find the missing Easton skate sock though...$15 a pair. I'm fairly certain its in a pile of my kid's clothes...

Last edited by Jarick: 01-27-2011 at 11:20 AM.
Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 11:47 AM
thedonger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copeland View Post

if you like them thin, go with the easton skate socks. thinnest skate socks i've seen so far and one of the cheaper ones out there to boot.

btw, you paid $15 for your easton's jarick? they go for $10 around here, northern nj.

thedonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2011, 09:20 AM
elevation

check:
http://stores.ebay.com/SOX-store ->Compression socks
sometimes he offers CCM Oxy Socks for incredible cheap, Wigwams also...
just got 12 pairs of 'Compression Over the Calf Socks' at $19 for my team.
You can't beat this guy...and it's not me ;-)

elevation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2011, 10:15 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I bought them when I bought my G35's...the final bill was so large I don't think I cared what the socks cost

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2011, 03:44 PM
Fleuryoutside29

I just wear regular generic socks. Shin high. I've never had any problems with them

Fleuryoutside29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2011, 11:38 AM
HockeyThoughts
Delivering The Truth

vCash: 1550
I wear a pair of Under Armour *Hockey* Socks (not Soccer). Made of a whole different material, and are really thin as opposed to the soccer ones.

HockeyThoughts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 07:21 PM
hattrick3518

vCash: 885
Quote:
I wear a pair of Under Armour *Hockey* Socks (not Soccer). Made of a whole different material, and are really thin as opposed to the soccer ones.
I've got ~6 pairs of the Under Armour tall socks, They work great for me, a little pricey though.

hattrick3518 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 08:10 PM
kampton

I was wearing Thinee's but found them to be awful at wicking moisture and they liked to bunch.

Just picked up these guys today

http://www.tekosocks.com/activity/ba...light-pro.html

Gonna try em out tonight

kampton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 09:25 AM
gintonic

I've tried a few different types and have found the Nike Dri-Fits to be the best.

gintonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 05:28 PM
kr580

Quote:
Originally Posted by nystromshairstylist View Post
Wigwam thermax liners are ideal, and made for this purpose. At about $5, they are not expensive:
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryO View Post
I wear Wigwam sock liners. They're so thin, it's the next best thing to going barefoot.
Thanks for posting these. I went out and found Gobi Liners (super thin) and Thermax Liners the other day. They're pretty much the same as my ankle socks I use, only they don't bunch up on my heel anymore. Still figuring out which thinness I prefer, thin or REALLY thin.

Old
02-01-2011, 10:02 PM
nystromshairstylist
Puck Control Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by kr580 View Post
Thanks for posting these. I went out and found Gobi Liners (super thin) and Thermax Liners the other day. They're pretty much the same as my ankle socks I use, only they don't bunch up on my heel anymore. Still figuring out which thinness I prefer, thin or REALLY thin.
I would think the slightly thicker thermax liners would be a better choice as a thicker sock will not move/bunch up as much, could absorb more sweat, and shift around less on your foot, if at all.

nystromshairstylist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 10:38 PM
kr580

I'm actually finding the thinner Gobi Liners slightly preferable. I get a really good feel of my skates. I'll do more evaluating over time, haha.

Old
02-01-2011, 10:52 PM
Frankie Spankie

I have some random pair of sports socks. Kind of like Under Armor but a knockoff brand. They work really well. I've tried barefoot before and couldn't walk for a couple of days afterwards because my skates messed my heels up pretty badly. I wear them to help reduce the friction between my skin and the boot.

Frankie Spankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 05:00 PM
LarryO

Quote:
Originally Posted by kr580 View Post
I'm actually finding the thinner Gobi Liners slightly preferable. I get a really good feel of my skates. I'll do more evaluating over time, haha.
I used to wear the Wigwam Gobi liners and they worked quite well. The only reason I switched to the Wigwam Ultimate Liner Pro, after seeing them on a hockey website, was that the finer knit on the foot reaches about an inch higher on the ankle before changing to the coarser elastic knit around the shin. The smoother fabric makes it just a bit less irritating on the front of the ankle where the laces are tightest.

Last edited by LarryO: 02-02-2011 at 05:07 PM.
LarryO is offline   Reply With Quote