HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Kickpoint vs shot power

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-22-2011, 02:25 PM
  #1
Holy Jokinen
Registered User
 
Holy Jokinen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Tampa/Boca
Country: United States
Posts: 2,819
vCash: 500
Kickpoint vs shot power

Hey guys, i'm looking to buy a new stick, and i'm willing to splurge a little bit. So i've been doing some research on composites and i was wondering how much a lower kickpoint will affect shot power or accuracy, if at all.

I've been a winger all season, and I prefer wrist shots and snap shots over slap shots, but for me, the most important thing is to be able to have accuracy. So i was just wondering how big of a difference a lower kickpoint really makes, and maybe if you have any recommendations for sticks or stick/blade combos. Thanks!

Holy Jokinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2011, 09:24 PM
  #2
1stoverall
Registered User
 
1stoverall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 465
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holy Jokinen View Post
Hey guys, i'm looking to buy a new stick, and i'm willing to splurge a little bit. So i've been doing some research on composites and i was wondering how much a lower kickpoint will affect shot power or accuracy, if at all.

I've been a winger all season, and I prefer wrist shots and snap shots over slap shots, but for me, the most important thing is to be able to have accuracy. So i was just wondering how big of a difference a lower kickpoint really makes, and maybe if you have any recommendations for sticks or stick/blade combos. Thanks!
Its all the player using it, ya you can go buy a S19 but it wont make you shot any harder or more accurate.

1stoverall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2011, 11:37 PM
  #3
Axxion89
Registered User
 
Axxion89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 310
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stoverall View Post
Its all the player using it, ya you can go buy a S19 but it wont make you shot any harder or more accurate.
WRONG, accurate no, harder yes to an extent flex and kickpoint make a difference for that. I used a 85 flex Warrior and my shots were good, I now use a 77 flex TotalOne and my shots are a lot faster because of flex so in short, yes a stick can affect your game.

For the OP, you want low kickpoint, it will give you faster release and look for a flex that suits you best, that will add power to shot when loading.

Axxion89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2011, 11:50 PM
  #4
Holy Jokinen
Registered User
 
Holy Jokinen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Tampa/Boca
Country: United States
Posts: 2,819
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxion89 View Post
WRONG, accurate no, harder yes to an extent flex and kickpoint make a difference for that. I used a 85 flex Warrior and my shots were good, I now use a 77 flex TotalOne and my shots are a lot faster because of flex so in short, yes a stick can affect your game.

For the OP, you want low kickpoint, it will give you faster release and look for a flex that suits you best, that will add power to shot when loading.
Thanks man, i appreciate it.

Holy Jokinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2011, 11:27 AM
  #5
canuck44
 
canuck44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 221
vCash: 500
Lower kickpoint will give you a quicker release, but you won't get as much power out of a low kick point compared to a mid kick point.

Not always the case obviously but lower kickpoints are better for forwards looking for that quick snappers

canuck44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2011, 12:29 PM
  #6
Jarick
Doing Nothing
 
Jarick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: St Paul, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 25,015
vCash: 500
It changes the feel. Sometimes a low kick stick suffers from more torsion which throws off accuracy, because it bends more at the lower part and twists to the side. But this is only under extreme loading and with whippy flexes.

In my experience, a low kick stick feels a bit stiffer and doesn't load up as much, but it reaches maximum loading quicker. You can lean into the stick on a wrist or snap shot, load it up a bit, and it kicks pretty hard. A mid kick stick tends to feel whippier and loads up more, but can sometimes have lag if it's too whippy. It requires a smoother shooting motion on wrist/snap shots but on slappers can add some velocity. It's not a huge night and day thing and also depends heavily on the actual flex of the stick (which can be all over the map because flex ratings aren't 100% accurate).

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2011, 04:01 PM
  #7
bosshogg18
Registered User
 
bosshogg18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Lyle, WA, Tacoma, WA
Country: United States
Posts: 175
vCash: 500
A proper fitting stick can increase all aspects of the game. I have been using the Bauer One95 stick for the last 15 months or so and absolutely loved it. I went to Base Hockey and shot around with Al Iafrate. In testing out several different sticks we ended up with a change from a 100 flex to an 85, a lie of 7 to a 6. I kept the same blade pattern however. This all increased both my speed and accuracy, even though I was using a top of the line stick. If you can get fitted, I would go for it. How are you supposed to know what stick you will like, just looking at them on a rack or online. The only way is to actually use the stick. Unfortunately most stores don't have shooting areas.

bosshogg18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2011, 04:44 PM
  #8
HockeyGuy1975
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 699
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bosshogg18 View Post
A proper fitting stick can increase all aspects of the game. I have been using the Bauer One95 stick for the last 15 months or so and absolutely loved it. I went to Base Hockey and shot around with Al Iafrate. In testing out several different sticks we ended up with a change from a 100 flex to an 85, a lie of 7 to a 6. I kept the same blade pattern however. This all increased both my speed and accuracy, even though I was using a top of the line stick. If you can get fitted, I would go for it. How are you supposed to know what stick you will like, just looking at them on a rack or online. The only way is to actually use the stick. Unfortunately most stores don't have shooting areas.
May I ask, how much do you weigh and how strong are you? What is your hockey level?

HockeyGuy1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2011, 10:03 AM
  #9
bosshogg18
Registered User
 
bosshogg18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Lyle, WA, Tacoma, WA
Country: United States
Posts: 175
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyGuy1975 View Post
May I ask, how much do you weigh and how strong are you? What is your hockey level?
I weigh 220 and pretty strong. I think that is why I always used 100 or 110 flexes. When Al had me test lower flexes, my shot got both quicker and more accurate with the wrist shot and was the same speed on the slap shot. So I only gained with lowering the flex. Ovechkin is about my size and his stick flexes are in 80's as well.

bosshogg18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2011, 10:48 AM
  #10
pass the bisk
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Ontario, Canada
Country: United States
Posts: 311
vCash: 500
the majority of hockey players do not have a good enough shot or fast enough release for it to actually matter

pass the bisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:26 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.