HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

Cole's Plus Minus: Pens vs. Isles (1-25-11)

Old
01-25-2011, 08:28 PM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to ColePens
Cole's Plus Minus: Pens vs. Isles (1-25-11)

Plus

+ God Fleury: Marc-andre stole the show today, and we really needed that w/ the Flyers continuing to win. Words can't even describe his game tonight. He was so dominant. He made routine saves, key saves, saves he should never have made, you name it.

+ Tyler Kennedy: The guy has to be one of our top priorities to re-sign. He does so much for this team when we need momentum. He doesn't score all teh big goals, but he sure as hell gets the ball rolling when we need something. We really need to re-sign him quickly.

+ Max Talbot: Snake-bitten but still a good game. That was the best I've seen Maxime in awhile. He needs to bring it in the postseason or he's unfortunately a causality going into next season. I don't want to see Max gone from Pittsburgh. He just fits here.

+ Paul Martin: To save us from a 30 page war on if Martin is worth $5M... I'll just say "good game."

+ Overall efforts from both teams: This was a fantastic game to sit back and enjoy from a hockey fan's pov. It was great hockey and both teams laid it all on the line. Nobody thought twice about Sid/Geno being out. Nobody on the Isles thought about their players being injured and having a youngster in net. Both teams just gave it their all and that's what hockey is all about.

Hell, when Craig Adams gets the only goal, you would think awful hockey game. Not true in this one. Everyone worked hard for both teams. Great stuff.

Minus

Nothing. I loved this hockey game. The Isles deserve a ****-load of credit for their efforts tonight. They played inspired hockey.

ColePens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2011, 08:30 PM
DreamBeaut

+ to the all star break and getting our men healthy

DreamBeaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2011, 08:31 PM
Tender Rip
No cap on coaching!

Agree with everything else, but I thought this was the least noticeable game from Kennedy in a good while.
I'd rather talk about how Jeffrey is flat out making things happen offensively while playing very responsibly and winning his fair share of draws.

Tender Rip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2011, 08:31 PM
spiny norman
Global Moderator
Dinsdale !!!

After this game, Fleury's SV% is now .925.

His GAA is now 2.19.

spiny norman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2011, 08:32 PM
eXile59
Shirts on.

-Lines: Jeffreys deserves more time and Letestu just is not the player the coaching staff thinks he is. He just keeps getting marched out there and produces no offense.

eXile59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2011, 08:33 PM
CleverName

Cole - glad to hear you say this. I thought maybe I'd be alone in thinking that this was a great game to watch, and that the Islanders deserved some respect.

There was some sloppy play by the Pens, for sure. Lots of wandering pucks. Still those passes to the slot that just land there and no one's looking for them. Yeah, that's usually where Geno is. He's not playing, remember?

CleverName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
AK

Jeffrey is going to get himself traded for something pretty at the deadline if he keeps playing well.

AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Mordax
Abso-Buc'n-lutely

I didn't watch the game but WTF, Fleury got a shutout?!?!

Mordax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Biz Nasty
Cooke 4 Lady Byng

Asham played one of his better games as a Penguin tonight...great fight, threw the body around, got shots on net

That's all you can ask of the guy, he is going to be a big force in the playoffs as long as Disco keeps giving him a sweater

Biz Nasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Ugene Malkin
Oh..Well!

+ Pens are 6-5 in the month of Jan., almost entirely without Crosby.

+ Both goaltenders dueled it out.

+++ last three on Fleury.....

I've been running dry on the 1st goal pick'em and I changed up with Jeffrey, thanks for the much needed points.

Last edited by Ugene Malkin: 01-25-2011 at 08:39 PM.
Ugene Malkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2011, 08:34 PM
JTG

Fleury stole us one, which is the 2nd time this season he's done that. Highly impressive game.

I think Shero and the coaching staff are going to have to have the conversation soon about where Jeffrey fits in on this roster next season. I think he's more skilled than a 4th line spot.

JTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2011, 08:35 PM
CleverName

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK View Post
Jeffrey is going to get himself traded for something pretty at the deadline if he keeps playing well.
Eeep. I hope not. We need him here.

Flower's triple save in the first period - I thought I was going to swallow my own tongue.

Old
01-25-2011, 08:35 PM
PensFanSince1989

Fleury and Martin were our biggest stars in this game.

PensFanSince1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2011, 08:36 PM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

Send a message via AIM to ColePens
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biz Nasty View Post
Asham played one of his better games as a Penguin tonight...great fight, threw the body around, got shots on net

That's all you can ask of the guy, he is going to be a big force in the playoffs as long as Disco keeps giving him a sweater
I just have a weird feeling Asham and Max can be amazing w/ Adams on the 4th line come playoffs. They just have that mojo needed for playoff hockey.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK View Post
He could also be a good asset to have in Pittsburgh, too. He has looked good in every game. I'd hate to grow him here then just lose him... but as the million dollar man said - everybody has a price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleverName View Post
Cole - glad to hear you say this. I thought maybe I'd be alone in thinking that this was a great game to watch, and that the Islanders deserved some respect.

There was some sloppy play by the Pens, for sure. Lots of wandering pucks. Still those passes to the slot that just land there and no one's looking for them. Yeah, that's usually where Geno is. He's not playing, remember?
Yeah, i was really impressed w/ the Isles. They showed heart when their minds could have been on the week off. Kudos to them for bringing it. I loved Grabner tonight. He was quick as hell and had skill.

ColePens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2011, 08:36 PM
eXile59
Shirts on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiny norman View Post
After this game, Fleury's SV% is now .925.

His GAA is now 2.19.

He is now top 5 in wins and I think he will be tied for 6th in SV%. Sorry to the teams like the Flyers who think these low paid stand in goalies are going to lead them to a cup.

Old
01-25-2011, 08:40 PM
SEALBound

I dunno...I saw Jeffery make a few mistakes out there...but maybe you're right about being more than a 4th liner...problem is...where do you put him?

SEALBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2011, 08:44 PM
CleverName

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEALBound View Post
I dunno...I saw Jeffery make a few mistakes out there...but maybe you're right about being more than a 4th liner...problem is...where do you put him?
I'll accept a few mistakes from a guy we just brought up from WB/S. I saw a lot of veterans make mistakes too, and they have less excuse.

Old
01-25-2011, 08:45 PM
PensFanSince1989

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXile59 View Post
He is now top 5 in wins and I think he will be tied for 6th in SV%. Sorry to the teams like the Flyers who think these low paid stand in goalies are going to lead them to a cup.
Yep.

He's actually 5th in Save % at 0.925 with Pavelec and Varlamov is one of the 4 ahead of him and he's only started 16 game.

He's 4th in GAA. 3rd in Wins (tied with 2 others).

Yet, the main board will still moan that there's no way he deserves a spot at the ASG.

PensFanSince1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2011, 08:45 PM
Malkin4Top6Wingerz
Can you like, shutup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tender Rip View Post
Agree with everything else, but I thought this was the least noticeable game from Kennedy in a good while.
I'd rather talk about how Jeffrey is flat out making things happen offensively while playing very responsibly and winning his fair share of draws.
Yeah, I didn't think Kennedy had one of his better games. The fight was cool though, I guess.

Good to see Fleury finally getting a shutout. He usually loses it in the last few minutes, but was sharp all the way around tonight. Whether he or the improved defense is largely responsible for his numbers, he's finally earning the $5 million salary he signed for.

Martin also had one of his better games I thought. Made quite a few excellent defensive plays in crucial situations and was smooth on the transition getting the puck up ice without any noticeable gaffes.

Lastly, Jeffrey had a great game. Not only are his offensive abilities better than most on the roster, I've been very impressed with his defensive play. He's very dedicated in his own zone and I've seen him pick the pockets of some good NHLers. It's hard to see where exactly he fits long-term, but as it stands now he absolutely should be on the top line over Letestu, who I like but clearly is miscast in his current role.

Malkin4Top6Wingerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2011, 08:47 PM
alcanalz
whys and wherefores

vCash: 193
Quote:
Right now, sans Crosby and Malkin, put him in the top 6 and see what he can do with it.

alcanalz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2011, 08:48 PM
eXile59
Shirts on.

Quote:
I think that first line would have been much more productive while Sid/Geno are out if Jeffreys was in the middle. The guy get no time yet he is putting up points and drawing penalties. Bylsma is a great coach which we can see by a great team victory tonight but he isn't perfect which can see by in ability to get the best of talented players.

Old
01-25-2011, 08:50 PM
JimsDoors

I would have to give a minus to Jordan Staal cause you really didn't hear his name all night. Nothing really to write home about.

JimsDoors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
UnderratedBrooks44

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXile59 View Post
I think that first line would have been much more productive while Sid/Geno are out if Jeffreys was in the middle. The guy get no time yet he is putting up points and drawing penalties. Bylsma is a great coach which we can see by a great team victory tonight but he isn't perfect which can see by in ability to get the best of talented players.
This game was a total crap shoot with Fleury standing tall to edge out a pathetic team.

UnderratedBrooks44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Sideline

-Lovejoy. He made some bad plays tonight only to get bailout get bailed out by Fleury or Martin/Goligoski/etc.

+Fleury. Can't ask for better than that. If his play stays on this level through the playoffs he's making a case that this team has 3 franchise players.

+Jeffrey. He made one poor decision all game on a turnover outside his own blue line. The rest was great. No more AHL for this guy. When Geno get's back I'd like to see Jeffrey get a shot on a line with him. He was 70% on face-offs including a perfect 4/4 against Konopka (one of the best guys in the NHL). He's made Craig Adams look dangerous offensively.

+Martin was great. He made 4 or 5 real nice stick plays that just shut down the opposition attack. This was his best game in a long while.

+Grinding *****es down. Yeah it's NYI, but it was still a 1 goal game that saw Fleury stand on his head and our big money D step up. This is what the playoffs will be like so it's nice to see a win.

Sideline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2011, 08:52 PM
Aud Won*

Quote:
Originally Posted by PensFanSince1989 View Post
Fleury and Martin were our biggest stars in this game.
Agreed

Aud Won* is offline   Reply With Quote