HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

NFL Commish Will Reduce Salary to $1 if New CBA Isn't Signed

Old
01-26-2011, 01:16 PM
ScopeHockey

vCash: 500
NFL Commish Will Reduce Salary to $1 if New CBA Isn't Signed

Man, I wish we had a guy with this amount of leadership, integrity and accountability running the NHL.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d...e=HP_headlines

ScopeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2011, 01:19 PM
76ftw

vCash: 50
Cool I suppose. I wish I had the money that I could take a $1 salary too haha. I hope the players don't end up shafted by the CBA, because, let's face it, they're way more important to our satisfaction of the game than the owners. Oh, and they make all the money for the owners anyway :S

76ftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2011, 01:28 PM
McNuts

Yeah that's a public opinion stunt, designed to make people like you say "omg that's so nice of him" and support the NFL.

McNuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2011, 02:05 PM
ScopeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by McNuts View Post
Yeah that's a public opinion stunt, designed to make people like you say "omg that's so nice of him" and support the NFL.
Regardless of his intentions, it still makes him accountable to get a new CBA done.

ScopeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2011, 02:36 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScopeHockey View Post
Man, I wish we had a guy with this amount of leadership, integrity and accountability running the NHL.

Yeah because Bettman failed miserably at getting fans and owners a salary cap and fair playing field

Bettman is probably the best comissioner the NHL has ever had.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2011, 02:43 PM
Boris Le Tigre
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

What a move... dude should be a politician.

The commish will work for a buck but the players are holding out for gazillions....

It's smart messaging.

Boris Le Tigre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2011, 02:46 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Sunday's are going to be real boring if there isn't any football next year

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2011, 03:32 PM
HarlemsFinest
teh gallys!!1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
Sunday's are going to be real boring if there isn't any football next year
sundays are boring. that's why i wake up at 5pm.

HarlemsFinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2011, 04:22 PM
le_sean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris Le Tigre View Post
What a move... dude should be a politician.

The commish will work for a buck but the players are holding out for gazillions....

It's smart messaging.
Players are holding out for gazillions because the owners make a lot more money than they should. The TV deal for the NFL pays for the players' salaries. Those 8 games a year of 60,000+ tickets sold and merchandise is all profit.

You have to remember that NFL contracts may look big, but the real catch is how much of it is guaranteed, especially since the average career length for these players is pretty low.

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2011, 04:33 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
Players are holding out for gazillions because the owners make a lot more money than they should. The TV deal for the NFL pays for the players' salaries. Those 8 games a year of 60,000+ tickets sold and merchandise is all profit.

You have to remember that NFL contracts may look big, but the real catch is how much of it is guaranteed, especially since the average career length for these players is pretty low.
The biggest issue is that owners like Jones and Snyder want to halt revenue sharing, and I believe Goodell is on their side.

Fish on The Sand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2011, 06:30 PM
shamrun

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScopeHockey View Post

So would he get a tax break this year if he is only making 1$

shamrun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2011, 07:00 PM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Wow, multi-millionaire commissioner will cut his own yearly salary from 10 mil to $1. How the hell is he going to survive now?

Now if this guy flipped burgers for a living, I may be impressed. This is just a smoke screen to deflect the attention away from the CBA talks.

Do you want to impress me Goodell? Earn your 10 million per and get a new CBA in place.

Habs10Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2011, 07:26 PM
Jafar
Keep it logical

vCash: 50
Good, if football disappear more importance to Hockey , like it should be.

( wont happen but football sucks none the less )

Jafar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2011, 08:00 PM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
Ohhhh you mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReenMachine View Post
...football sucks none the less
What?! For once, I agree with you. The world's gonna end tomorrow.

To stay on topic, I'll believe when I see it. It does seem like an attention-grabber right now.

DekeLikeYouMeanIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2011, 08:18 PM
HH
GO HABS GO!

Quote:

I like football.

HH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2011, 08:53 PM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 1100
I don't know anything about football but I'd assume it's a negotiation tactic. The whole idea between a league and it's players is the fact that they usually need eachother to make top dollar. When a guy steps out and says "I reduce my salary" it puts pressure on the opposing side because there's no issue of monetary pressure. I may be over-analyzing this, which I probably am, but it's the best non generic answer I can come up with without knowing much about NFL.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2011, 08:55 PM
le_sean

Quote:

There are barely ever NHL games on Sundays, I don't think it would make that big of a difference.

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2011, 09:16 PM
CuteHockeyBunny

Hahahah there are so many CEO's that do the same thing. They still make millions in undisclosed bonuses.

CuteHockeyBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2011, 09:44 PM
Jean-Guy Drouin*

Its great news for NFL.

But for the one who said Bettman was the best Comissioner, I must disagree.

Bettman did an more than awesome job to put a salary cap and to eliminate hooking. Really its his greatest achievement and by FAR. We should applaud him. But it's not time he must go to let someone who KNOWS how an hockey game should be played.

By removing hooking, he also removed lots of physical part of the game, by implanting the instigator rue, for exemple. And lots of new rules penalizes team who play a hard and "old-school" style of hockey.

I dont want to go back into the 80's-90's type of violence, but I feel like the NHL is more and more leaning into that faggy european style type of hockey and its not the way its meant to be played here.

The policy about making hockey more "cute" to convince USA's family to look it is killing the sport. We change the sport itself to please the ones who have the money and it's wrong.

Player's will of play should be driven by the prestige of playing in NHL, the will to win, the Stanley Cup, etc. Not money.

And YES, I dont care if some really good hockey player decide to leave the NHL because he feels he dont have enough money offered to him.

Jean-Guy Drouin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2011, 09:54 PM
AntonCH

Rag on the NFL all you want (some of you)
At this moment in time its the best and most watched league in North American sports. Parity; Salary cap; great ratings; mega tv contract; It's championship borders on being a national holiday.
What more could a league ask for?
I for one wish that the NHL can model themselves more like the NFL.
We're not all that bad, but the CBA can be fiddled with somewhat and for the love of god get some games on ESPN instead of VS

AntonCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 06:26 AM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs10Habs View Post
Wow, multi-millionaire commissioner will cut his own yearly salary from 10 mil to $1. How the hell is he going to survive now?

Now if this guy flipped burgers for a living, I may be impressed. This is just a smoke screen to deflect the attention away from the CBA talks.

Do you want to impress me Goodell? Earn your 10 million per and get a new CBA in place.
Yeah really. Maybe he'd have to dip into his "backup fund" of millions in stock options he probably gets every year, too. That kind of thing really bothers me, seeing people with exorbitantly high salaries making just as much (or often much, much more) "on the side" from company shares. If only the 5 (or whatever) people who own all the money in the world weren't so content to sit on it like dragons atop their gold piles, imagine how the world could change for the better...

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 07:39 AM
Boris Le Tigre
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post

I can't say I'm all that informed when it comes to the fairness of the nuts and bolts of NFL labour. I aggree though that the players deserve a fair share. My comments were more related to Goddell's shrewed pr tactics...

The NFL/NFLPA is the cadilac of pro sports... by a landslide. They have to avoid a work stoppage. Or risk falling behind. A work stoppage can really hurt players and also the markets that are at risk (maybe Buff, etc...)

Boris Le Tigre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 07:55 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris Le Tigre View Post
I can't say I'm all that informed when it comes to the fairness of the nuts and bolts of NFL labour. I aggree though that the players deserve a fair share. My comments were more related to Goddell's shrewed pr tactics...

The NFL/NFLPA is the cadilac of pro sports... by a landslide. They have to avoid a work stoppage. Or risk falling behind. A work stoppage can really hurt players and also the markets that are at risk (maybe Buff, etc...)
The NFLPA needs to grow a backbone though, it's ridiculous that the most dangerous sport in the world(injury wise) has no guaranteed contracts. In the NHL if you sign a player to a 3 year deal, the only way out is a buyout, in the NFL a player can be cut and I think he just gets about 10% of the contract.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 08:30 AM
Hawkguy
Hockey's Back!!

Football? *yawn*

I like the Eagles, but only watch when the playoffs start.

Hawkguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 08:43 AM
11Goat11
Inside her

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
The NFLPA needs to grow a backbone though, it's ridiculous that the most dangerous sport in the world(injury wise) has no guaranteed contracts. In the NHL if you sign a player to a 3 year deal, the only way out is a buyout, in the NFL a player can be cut and I think he just gets about 10% of the contract.
I think this is the best thing about the NFL. I wish we had it in the NHL, it is how teams like the Patriots and Steelers can remain competitive year in and year out which is good for their fans. If a player doesn't live up to his contract than you cut him and sign someone else, simple as that. Too many players these days get a big pay day and just stop performing, look at Jamarcus Russell.

The injury issue should be remedied with better benefit plans and pension options as it is a dangerous sport health wise.

11Goat11 is offline   Reply With Quote