HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The John Tortorella Appreciation Thread

Old
01-25-2011, 12:20 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

vCash: 500
The John Tortorella Appreciation Thread

It's about time for this.

These types of wins are piling up, and yeah the players are playing their ***** off - but John has got them all - Gaborik to Kolarik - buying into what he thinks is the best way to pull away two points from a team on any given night.

Given the absurd amount of injuries, hes has kept things positive while im sure at some points he wants to throw Brooksy through a wall. He has come in this year with a new attitude, knows what buttons to push, knows how to develop the youth and does it all while maintaining his position well. He has this team in great physical shape and he has put in place a culture that is becoming infectious to whomever wears the Ranger blue.

To Torts - Keep this machine a runnin'

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2011, 12:24 AM
Wraparounds
Powerful Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
It's about time for this.

These types of wins are piling up, and yeah the players are playing their ***** off - but John has got them all - Gaborik to Kolarik - buying into what he thinks is the best way to pull away two points from a team on any given night.

Given the absurd amount of injuries, hes has kept things positive while im sure at some points he wants to throw Brooksy through a wall. He has come in this year with a new attitude, knows what buttons to push, knows how to develop the youth and does it all while maintaining his position well. He has this team in great physical shape and he has put in place a culture that is becoming infectious to whomever wears the Ranger blue.

To Torts - Keep this machine a runnin'
I would pay serious money to see that happen.

Jokes aside, Torts has fostered a locker room culture. This isn't just another hockey team. This is THE NEW YORK RANGERS.

Wraparounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2011, 12:29 AM
McNashty
HATERS GON' HATE!

Send a message via AIM to McNashty Send a message via MSN to McNashty
Well done! Keep it going Torts!

McNashty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2011, 12:29 AM
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL

I was a huge Renney fan, but even I felt this team needed to go a different direction. I originally didn't want Torts, actually. I'm a big Crawford fan. Was hoping we would replace Renney with him if Sather wanted a change.

I wasn't sure if Torts could sway this team into buying his scheme. I felt he was almost foolish last season. He's really improved his lip; gotten better with the media. He kept talking about team toughness last season, and early this season. This team, is a tough team.

Is it me, or have I not seen the stupid little Tortstheclown remarks lately?

Edit: I think Sully is well deserving of a little praise too. Let's not overlook the assistant with a little too much bass in his voice.

Boom Boom Geoffrion* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2011, 12:36 AM
Kel Varnsen
Below: Nash's Heart

Remember when supporting him was controversial?

Kel Varnsen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2011, 12:38 AM
Ail
k.

Still wish he'd stay more consistent with lines when they're not playing well, but overall, goooooo John!

Ail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2011, 12:40 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Boom Geoffrion View Post
I was a huge Renney fan, but even I felt this team needed to go a different direction. I originally didn't want Torts, actually. I'm a big Crawford fan. Was hoping we would replace Renney with him if Sather wanted a change.

I wasn't sure if Torts could sway this team into buying his scheme. I felt he was almost foolish last season. He's really improved his lip; gotten better with the media. He kept talking about team toughness last season, and early this season. This team, is a tough team.

Is it me, or have I not seen the stupid little Tortstheclown remarks lately?

Edit: I think Sully is well deserving of a little praise too. Let's not overlook the assistant with a little too much bass in his voice.
Agree, he has a really young D. Maybe the youngest in the league. He's really got a good read on all of them and has helped guys like Eminger become very consistent for the team.

Old
01-25-2011, 12:41 AM
JeffMangum
I'm v

vCash: 50
I remember "Fire Torts" pleas from last year. But he was different last year.

He's really changed his whole demeanor and attitude this season. He doesn't really blow up in interviews anymore, and he's done a fantastic job with young players. Especially Gilroy, Boyle, Eminger, and Anisimov in my opinion.

And the big thing is, he's got the right players now. The system he's implemented is working to a tee. It started working at the end of last season, and to has certainly carried over to this season. It's a great thing to watch.

01-25-2011, 12:42 AM
JeffMangum
I'm v

vCash: 50
Quote:
Agree, he has a really young D. Maybe the youngest in the league. He's really got a good read on all of them and has helped guys like Eminger become very consistent for the team.
They ARE the youngest in the league. With Girardi in and Del Zotto out, the average age of the D is 24.5.

JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2011, 12:44 AM
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrurysWeekend View Post
Still wish he'd stay more consistent with lines when they're not playing well, but overall, goooooo John!
I kind of agree, but if we break it down, I think we have more points now because of the line juggling, then we would have if he was a bit more patient.

I've gotten used to some of his preferences. If you recall though, even Renney juggled the lines up on a routine basis, only his creations were much less talented.

As long as we win. That's all that matters.

Boom Boom Geoffrion* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2011, 12:48 AM
DoTheBlue
Great Expectations

Torts is done a good job considering the circumstances with the injuries and the youngsters getting having to log some major ice time. But for the love of God can they do something about the power play!

DoTheBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2011, 12:58 AM
Kane One
HFB Partner

vCash: 640
I like Torts, but no where near as much as I like Mike Sullivan. Hopefully one day he becomes a head coach somewhere.

01-25-2011, 01:00 AM
Pizza

Torts has taken the rebuild with this team to a new level. He has done an amazing job. The important thing is we've done nothing yet. The best is coming. A lot of these guys have not even played much with each other yet.

When these guys settle in and get used to each other the Rangers could be a truly dangerous hockey team.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2011, 01:07 AM
gravytrain6t

I just wrote a snooze fest of a post on this guy in another thread but I think Tortorella has done better as far as keeping his lines together and finding the right combinations. Boyle, Prust, and Feds are pretty much a set 3rd line, and it seems like he's keeping Aasen, Stepan, and Wolski together, while continuing to go with AA, Avery, and Gaborik.

I think that line needs improvement. I like AA, but imo, he seems to be more of a natural goal scoring center iceman who needs to be set up rather than put in a set up role to assist Gaborik (despite the 4 assists against the leafs). Just looking at Anisimov's last 3 goals and the OT winner vs Buffalo, they were all rocket like wrist shots from near the top of the circle. I want that kid shooting the puck as much as possible.

gravytrain6t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2011, 01:09 AM
t3hg00se

Send a message via AIM to t3hg00se
When he fixes the power play, he'll be unstoppable.

t3hg00se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2011, 05:08 AM
BwayBshirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoTheBlue View Post
Torts is done a good job considering the circumstances with the injuries and the youngsters getting having to log some major ice time. But for the love of God can they do something about the power play!
Quote:
Originally Posted by t3hg00se View Post
When he fixes the power play, he'll be unstoppable.
That PP won't have a chance to be fixed until the team starts becoming healthy.

BwayBshirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2011, 05:12 AM
BwayBshirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneone View Post
I like Torts, but no where near as much as I like Mike Sullivan. Hopefully one day he becomes a head coach somewhere.
I wouldn't be opposed to seeing Sullivan get another gig somewhere else, but I would hope that he has grown a little from his Boston experience.

BwayBshirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2011, 06:48 AM
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!

The hate some gave about Tortorella last year was understandable, but he was a proven winner that needed us to bepatience. The guy wanted his youth. He got 'em. Look what he's doing now. He's gonna be here for more than a few years.

Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2011, 06:52 AM
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by genericnyrusername View Post
Remember when supporting him was controversial?
Yeah, and if they made the playoffs last year and lost in the first or second round, it'd be the same **** and people wouldn't of been happy anyway - making excuses why he's still a terrible coach.

Oh, and remember people saying he doesn't know how to handle his players? That was funny.

Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2011, 09:25 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

I've always liked Torts.

His line juggling can be a bit annoying at times, but theres a reason for it. For me, its the lack of patience he displays when things are going wrong that has changed. He's able to rely on some younsters that he can trust on both offense and defense that allows him to put them anywhere he wants in the lineup.

I think thats part of why he is so willing to change things up. In this type of system a player should be able to play almost anywhere, on any line and his assignments are the same. That helps build structure.

But i've been most impressed with the gameplans he's instituted. If you are really paying attention to the games, you can see the subtle differences in each gameplan, while keeping the overall concept intact. I think hes done a great job of recognizing what this team needs to focus on against any given opponent on any given night - and probably the most important thing is that the players are listening and executing that plan. That tells me Torts has their undivided attention, all of them. That can't be discounted.

Old
01-25-2011, 10:28 AM
Blueblood 2

I love this team! Enough said!

Blueblood 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2011, 10:38 AM
we want cup
We do not Sow

Quote:
I've always liked Torts.

His line juggling can be a bit annoying at times, but theres a reason for it. For me, its the lack of patience he displays when things are going wrong that has changed. He's able to rely on some younsters that he can trust on both offense and defense that allows him to put them anywhere he wants in the lineup.
This is all very well said.

The line juggling, in my view, isn't even really an issue. Every coach does it to some degree or another. This is such a fast paced game that it's necessary to keep things fresh for the players. It also functions as a way to keep the other team off balance. Changing up his lines mid game means that it can be harder for the other team's coach to match defensemen, because he can never be sure who's going to come onto the ice next.

RANGERS =
we want cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2011, 12:07 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Loved Torts before he was our coach. Loved him the second he was hired. Loved him all of last year, and I still love him. His philosophy is 100% my philosophy. His sense of accountability, and the name on the front being more important than the one in the back. It's all perfecto.

His attitude with the media doesnt affect me 1 way or the other. I think it's overblown, and frankly totally besides the point. it's all about how he is with the team, his coaching philosophy, etc.

Sometimes u need to go on a tirade. sometimes you need to calm everyone down.

I'm not sure there is a better "in game feel" coach out there. He really has the ability to feel who is going and who isn't and to ride them to wins. If gabby is playing great, he gets thrown out there every other shift. If he is playing like crap, hes on the bench.

Drury is on teh 4th line whereas most coaches would have him on the first to try to get him going. Torts recognizes Drurys craptastic offensive zone play, and is playing him where he should be.

I think ppl really need to be eating crow after the stupidity i read last year. hrmph.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2011, 12:10 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoTheBlue View Post
lol@ rangers ambulance....hahaha took me a few seconds to realize it was because we are so injured. well played my friend, well played.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2011, 12:18 PM
That Stepan Guy
Jefferek Stepaninner

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneone View Post
Can't say I like Sullivan more than Torts, but he also deserves some credit. Sully always seems pretty professional and is responsible for a lot. Can't say I'd want him to become the head coach, but he does deserve some respect as well.

Torts I think has improved greatly and I agree with many that he has done a spectacular job with guys like Boyle, Anisimov, Gilroy and Stepan. He has really gotten the team going and hopefully the team gets to the playoffs and does well unde rhim.

That Stepan Guy is offline   Reply With Quote