HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Helmet fit?

Old
01-26-2011, 06:47 AM
Cujomi
Bring Pesky Back

vCash: 500
Helmet fit?

I'm kind of worried that I bought the wrong helmet size. I ordered it online, and they do exchanges but it means I would be without a helmet for another two weeks probably, and I have to pay for the shipping both ways to get it back. I thought I was a medium, but it feels kind of tight on my head almost to the point of hurting, and it doesn't seem to come down far enough on my forehead (although it goes past my hairline.)

In some pictures of players I've seen it looks similar to them, and others not so much so I'm not sure if it's the right size or not because I know it's supposed to fit tight.

Cujomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2011, 09:49 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

What helmet did you get? Did you adjust it?

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2011, 10:12 AM
Cujomi
Bring Pesky Back

It's the medium CCM V05. I think it's expanded to it's biggest fit.

Old
01-26-2011, 01:44 PM
thedonger

helmets are kinda like skates in that every helmet fits a bit differently and will fit different head shapes.
not to beat a dead horse, but your mistake was not getting it at a lhs so that you could get fit properly. a proper fitting helmet is probably the most important piece of protective equipment in hockey.

thedonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 06:45 AM
Cujomi
Bring Pesky Back

Yeah...but I was wearing it for a bit last night because I read a comment about how Motorcycle helmets are supposed to be uncomfortable a bit until you break them in. After wearing it for a bit it wasn't as uncomfortable, though it still was a bit tight on my head, but I think after I break it in it will be fine (I think.) I also heard about a trick online where you can put your helmet in the bathroom when you take a shower and the steam will make the foam more plyable and you can push it down a bit with a spoon, or wear it to break it in easier.

Old
01-27-2011, 10:05 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

They should fit snug but not tight. The foam isn't supposed to "break in", it's supposed to be fairly rigid and protect you from impact. I'd vote returning it, but that's just me.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 10:59 AM
thedonger

these aren't motorcycle helmets. they should fit you the right way from the start. a few minor pressure spots are ok if you have a vn foam helmet as the material will soften as it heats up while you play. with epp, if it's giving you a good amount of discomfort, then that likely will not change with continued wear.

the methods you're considering applying to your helmet to make them fit will only serve to break down the materials in the helmet causing them to be less protective and prematurely break down.

like i said, go to a lhs (shouldn't have a lack of them in ottawa) and get help getting fitted properly...this is not motorcycling, football, baseball, lacrosse, etc. all helmets for different sports are designed to fit differently.

thedonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 12:55 PM
Fleuryoutside29

check out this website. It'll let you know if you have the right size if you know your hat size. Look at it before you make a decision to send it back
http://www.hockeymonkey.com/helmetsizing.html

Fleuryoutside29 is offline   Reply With Quote