HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Hartnell's hit on Desharnais

Old
01-26-2011, 08:29 AM
Charlie Milles*
Uh... Go Canucks?

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovercraft View Post
The hit started Shoulder to shoulder, Desharnais just kind of fell awkwardly. Hartnell probably should have eased up, but it is not a suspendable play at all. 2 min penalty was more than enough
Hmm, I don't know if it was a clear-cut shoulder-to-shoulder hit but I agree that it wasn't suspension worthy. I don't understand why Hartnell would be so "opportunistic" in that situation given the score and time remaining on the clock. It seemed unnecessary to me.

Charlie Milles* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2011, 08:42 AM
Strik_IX
No excuses!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForzaHabs View Post
The Flyers are goons. Come playoff time they'll lose in the 1st round to much faster team.
That's what people said last year and they got to the SC final.

Strik_IX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2011, 08:43 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

The hit was not from behind. We are talking about Hartnell on Desharnais here....reaosn why it ended up the way it did.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2011, 08:57 AM
Maverik

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajw5138 View Post
Yeah they were really trying to keep things from getting out of hand. Especially after they saw Carcillo trying to go with everyone and anyone.
You mean everyone and anyone not named White and Moen? I saw him denying White at the faceoff only to act tough with Gionta. If Subban did not show up, he would of probably tried to drop with Gionta..

And since when did the Flyers start running away from fights? Whatever the score is, they used to drop em when invited... last night I would of been embarassed to be a fan of the big bad Flyers. They played great though, clearly the best team we played against this year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
The hit was not from behind. We are talking about Hartnell on Desharnais here....reaosn why it ended up the way it did.
Clean hit 100%. Desharnais has to learn to avoid those hit to survive in the NHL. You rarely see St-Louis taking those kind of hits.. heck, the guy missed 2 games in the last 7 seasons, that's because he does not take those kind of hits.

Maverik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2011, 09:00 AM
llamateizer

its not illegal
i saw worst than that.
its a 2 min worthy penalty

llamateizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2011, 09:01 AM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverik View Post
You mean everyone and anyone not named White and Moen? I saw him denying White at the faceoff only to act tough with Gionta. If Subban did not show up, he would of probably tried to drop with Gionta..

And since when did the Flyers start running away from fights? Whatever the score is, they used to drop em when invited... last night I would of been embarassed to be a fan of the big bad Flyers
. They played great though, clearly the best team we played against this year.

Clean hit 100%. Desharnais has to learn to avoid those hit to survive in the NHL. You rarely see St-Louis taking those kind of hits.. heck, the guy missed 2 games in the last 7 seasons, that's because he does not take those kind of hits.
Thinking the same. Although I cant really blame them as their last game VS Sens clearly showed some of them fight like girls

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2011, 09:05 AM
Habbadasher

Could we avoid thread titles with three exclamation marks? It looks a little . . . the top.

Habbadasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2011, 09:07 AM
PhillyFlying
F1eyrS

nice to see the general consensus here is clean hit and i wasn't just staring through my homer goggles while i was yelling "clean hit!!!" at the TV as for the "flyers are goons" comments, cry me a river all day. good luck the rest of the way guys! hope we meet up in the playoffs again.

PhillyFlying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2011, 09:08 AM
ScopeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
I found Pittsburgh was more physical with us than Phillie last year. They beat us with depth and a healthier defense.
Agreed 100%. If anything, Philly showed more of a willingness to take abuse than the Habs did, which allowed them to pay the price and score goals in "high abuse" areas, i.e. right around the net.

ScopeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2011, 09:10 AM
CanuckistanFlyerfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverik View Post
And since when did the Flyers start running away from fights? Whatever the score is, they used to drop em when invited... last night I would of been embarassed to be a fan of the big bad Flyers. .
Pretty sure the Flyers are focussed on one thing... winning the Stanley Cup. They'll lose a battle to win the war. When this season is over, or even next game, nobody is going to care about last nights extracurricular activities. They got their 2 points, and move on.

I'm not embarrassed one bit to be sitting first overall. Not one bit. Pretty happy about it actually.

CanuckistanFlyerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2011, 09:15 AM
Erik Estrada

Aggravating
-Charging from far out of the play
-Somewhat blindsided

Mitigating
-Size discrepancy
-Desharnais started turning towards the board with his back to the play
-Desharnais looked OK

I expect 0 games.

Erik Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2011, 09:15 AM
gusfring

The main problem with the hit was the timid reaction by Montreal. Sad.

gusfring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2011, 09:18 AM
OpenIceHit

Good clean hit! The kind of hit I would like to see more often in Montreal (by our players).

The funniest thing is Hartnell waiting for someone to jump on him and ... nothing! Pathetic! Except for Pacciorety, no one stepped up for his teammate! Sad...

OpenIceHit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2011, 09:36 AM
Gabe84
Bring back Bonk!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Estrada View Post
Aggravating
-Charging from far out of the play
-Somewhat blindsided

Mitigating
-Size discrepancy
-Desharnais started turning towards the board with his back to the play
-Desharnais looked OK

I expect 0 games.
Very good analysis of the situation, in my opinion.

Gabe84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2011, 09:43 AM
neofury*

I don't think the hit was necessarily that bad but I think the intent was clearly there. He wanted to hurt DD and he went after him.

I know if it were Marty who got hit it would've been a 5 so I don't see why just cause it's DD it's a 2 minute penalty.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2011, 09:53 AM
CanuckistanFlyerfan

Not troll baiting. People complain about the Flyers "goon hockey". They've got a highly skilled team and we as fans should be embarrassed because they aren't actually the goons they've been labelled as forever?

Sorry, I have to disagree.

CanuckistanFlyerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2011, 10:01 AM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckistanFlyerfan View Post
Not troll baiting. People complain about the Flyers "goon hockey". They've got a highly skilled team and we as fans should be embarrassed because they aren't actually the goons they've been labelled as forever?

Sorry, I have to disagree.
them being goons is a myth, just like them being tough is a myth.

Old
01-26-2011, 10:25 AM
number 11

eh...hit was fine.

number 11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2011, 10:29 AM
JayBee*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
them being goons is a myth, just like them being tough is a myth.
LOL, you don't think they're tough?

JayBee* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2011, 10:33 AM
Gally11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForzaHabs View Post
The Flyers are goons. Come playoff time they'll lose in the 1st round to much faster team.

Does anyone know when was the last time a President trophy winner won the Cup?
My guess would be Detroit

Gally11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2011, 10:45 AM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBee View Post
LOL, you don't think they're tough?
they play physical yes, but they're far from tough...

in case you didnt notice as you were too busy laughing during last game
- Carcillo denying both White and Subban
- Hartnell showing no interest in going with Paxx after his hit
- Meszaros making sure to keep his gloves on when Paxx dropped his
- Flyers players staying quiet when White and Moen were on the ice

that's what you call a TOUGH team ?

Old
01-26-2011, 10:46 AM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
No you really don't have to disagree because this is the habs forum, go disagree in the jerk fest that is the flyers forum. You know the city of brotherly love and all.

PS: We'll rehash this thread during the post season when the Flyers goonery wins them a series because they injure some of the top players on the opposing team. But I'm sure the blind side head shot KO's that will happen will be "clean hits" according to you.

Like I said go back to your own forum nobody here cares about your opinion on the matter.
I have to step in here, not because of the Hartnell hit but as a general point.

One of the reasons I love HFboards is the fact that I can discuss topics with other teams fans and get a variety of opinions, as we're seeing here in this thread, which everyone is entitled to. I generally stick to the Flyers board, obviously, but broaden out to the Devils board(big poster here, lots of the people there are really fun too), sometimes Rangers board, and the Entertainment/Geek/Rink/MMA etc. If I wanted to talk about the team with all the other fans of the Flyers I'd go to a Flyers only forum and not here.

That being said, CanuckistanFlyerfan brings up a good point: You do nothing to yourself with a post like this but make you sound like a bitter fan. And telling people to "go disagree in the jerk fest that is the flyers forum" simply goes against the general mentality and purpose of HF. Especially considering you have the "yellow" name which means you're supposed to be a reputable writer, posts like this make you look silly. If telling you how everyone else is looking at you for posting like that is trolling, I'll gladly take the violation points. But I can guarantee I'm not the only one that looks at you that way. I don't have a problem with Habs fans, I have a problem with you acting as such.

Also, CanuckistanFlyerfan, reminder: No such thing as "free speech" on the internet.

Anyway, on topic. I personally thought it was not suspension worthy. Part of learning hockey is learning how to protect yourself, and the kid learned a valuable lesson. It's better he learns it with a clean hit than a dirty one which threatens his career. Guarantee he'll be keeping his head up more from now on, which can only benefit the Habs.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2011, 10:50 AM
overlords
Hfboards

Infractions if people on both sides don't back off.

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2011, 10:50 AM
habfaninvictoria

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajw5138 View Post
Yeah they were really trying to keep things from getting out of hand. Especially after they saw Carcillo trying to go with everyone and anyone.
The biggest problem I have with this statement is the fact that the refs wouldn't have to manage the game if they actually just called the rules evenly and correctly.

As for the hit. There are 2 choices. No call, because there was no infraction, or 5 min and a match. There should be no grey are on hits from behind. If they call a penalty it can't be a minor. I'm happier if they don't call a penalty because then we know they didn't feel it was an infraction (as much as I'd also think they were stupid). By calling a minor penalty they show that in fact they manage games, not enforce rules. This is even more infuriating because earlier in the game they called the rule book to the exact letter of the law by giving them a 3 min 5 on 3.

If its a penalty at all its 5 min. We still wouldn't have won the game but at the officiating would have been somewhat consistent.

habfaninvictoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2011, 10:52 AM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
Infractions if people on both sides don't back off.
Yeah I'm done. I got my point across, and am done.

Have a nice day. See you guys in the playoffs.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote