HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Deadline (no)deals

Old
01-26-2011, 12:15 AM
dkollidas

vCash: 500
Deadline (no)deals

Just wanted to see everones opinion. With the deadline coming in another 5-6 weeks, the Sabres are playing better and only 4pts. out of a playoff spot. I really am beginning to think that with Pegula in talks to buy the team, they're probably not selling because while he might want to, Golisano is still the owner. And on the other side of the coin, they're not buying either because I think we all know they're not gonna make a cup run, and so I think they're going to end up leaving the roster as it is, as well as while Golisano may want to make this team as good as possible for a run, they won't deal future assets for rentals or anything like that trying to make any kind of run. Maybe, maybe, a minor trade or two, but that's it IMO. No Connolly or Montador for draft picks, IMO they'll end up letting the Tin Man walk and trying to talk to Monty about an extension. Just my opinion.

dkollidas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2011, 12:20 AM
Ron Barr
Doing it to Death

If we're IN a playoff spot by the deadline, then I'd probably keep Connolly (or trade him if we trade for another top 6 center beforehand, like Fisher or Little or someone like that). I'm not saying we should be a buyer, all I'm saying is keep the current line-up, go for one last playoff run and if we don't succeed in this year's playoffs, have the big overhaul in the off-season. Most of the guys who have expiring contracts on our team (that we shouldn't bother re-signing) wouldn't get a very big return anyway.

If we're still chasing a playoff spot, give up what you can for picks and prospects, and just get ready for a stronger 2011/12 season.

Bottom line, I think going for the playoffs is ALWAYS the most important thing, no matter what. I don't even care if we get swept in the playoffs against the Flyers, playoff hockey is always more important than anything else. I'd much rather see this team finish the year strong and sneak into the playoffs, rather then continue to be mediocre and kill their depth just for a couple 2nd and 3rd round picks.

Ron Barr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2011, 03:22 AM
msm29
Was htsportplaya

I'm not saying I'm picking the Sabres to win the cup, but we saw last year what can happen if you just get in (MTL/BOS making noise). Especially with a hot goalie.

The only time you don't have a chance to win the Cup is when you don't make the playoffs.

msm29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2011, 08:06 AM
Loungie

It doesn't matter what spot you get in in the playoffs. Just get in. Look what happened to philly last year and edmonton a couple years ago. IMO still trade connolly

Loungie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2011, 08:16 AM
jlr
\m/o.o\m/

Sell sell sell.

jlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2011, 08:27 AM
barnell
butter knife hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlr View Post
Sell sell sell.
4 pts out of a play off spot? Its probably not going to happen.

barnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2011, 08:29 AM
Zip15

I suppose this could be merged with the buyers/sellers thread, but I think if they're within 2-4 pts of a playoff spot, they will neither commit to buying nor selling. Rather, they'll send a middling player or two out (Butler, for example) and add a middling player or two. And, as usual, the moves will be altogether ineffectual.

I can just see the Butler-for-Rob Shremp deal now. And it makes me ill.

"Rob has 44 pts in his last 77 NHL games. We feel like we just added a 50-pt scorer to our lineup."

Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2011, 08:57 AM
jlr
\m/o.o\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post

"Rob has 44 pts in his last 77 NHL games. We feel like we just added a 50-pt scorer to our lineup."
I'll ****ing puke.

This team isn't built right. That's all there is to it. The long term interests of the franchise are better served by selling this year, and attempting a partial rebuild.

jlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2011, 09:10 AM
punkr0x

I think it really depends what happens in the next two weeks. Darcy is in a really tough position right now, and he's been put there by the team's good play recently. Obviously you don't want to wait too long and be forced into a last minute deal, but right now the standings could go either way so I think he has to just wait it out for a couple more weeks before deciding which direction to go.

punkr0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2011, 09:22 AM
Sabreality

regardless of positioning or buy/sell mode, make these moves and get whatever you can...Trade Connolly...trade Butler...trade/waive Rivet...if someone inquires about Special Nieds, let him go...Ellis stays up for the rest of the year, Stuart, Mancari or Adam if need be...recall Gragnani (or give Schiestal/Brennan a look)...ride the midgets until they cool...go for it young, ride their energy...the options are there to 'go for 8th' while still shedding dead weight.

Sabreality is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2011, 10:27 AM
OpethianSabre20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabreality View Post
regardless of positioning or buy/sell mode, make these moves and get whatever you can...Trade Connolly...trade Butler...trade/waive Rivet...if someone inquires about Special Nieds, let him go...Ellis stays up for the rest of the year, Stuart, Mancari or Adam if need be...recall Gragnani (or give Schiestal/Brennan a look)...ride the midgets until they cool...go for it young, ride their energy...the options are there to 'go for 8th' while still shedding dead weight.
This is where I'm at too. I would also toss someone like Stafford around in proposals to see if he can be used as part of a deal to bring in a top 6 center.

OpethianSabre20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2011, 11:01 AM
Ron Barr
Doing it to Death

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
I suppose this could be merged with the buyers/sellers thread, but I think if they're within 2-4 pts of a playoff spot, they will neither commit to buying nor selling. Rather, they'll send a middling player or two out (Butler, for example) and add a middling player or two. And, as usual, the moves will be altogether ineffectual.

Ugh, no thanks. I want nothing to do with Rob Shremp Hockey in a Sabres uniform.

Old
01-26-2011, 11:49 AM
ImpressedDAHagent
Go sabres

how about Ales Hemsky?

ImpressedDAHagent is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2011, 11:52 AM
rabi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Barr View Post
If we're IN a playoff spot by the deadline, then I'd probably keep Connolly.
Because he was so great last year in the playoffs?

Just like Afinogenov, it's addition by subtraction...

rabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2011, 11:54 AM
thefifagod
I'm The Survivor

Too far away still, get back to me a week before the deadline. I am more inclined to be a seller though

thefifagod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2011, 11:56 AM
Ron Barr
Doing it to Death

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabi View Post
Because he was so great last year in the playoffs?

Just like Afinogenov, it's addition by subtraction...
You never know when he'll heat up. Also, he's been good in the playoffs before. I wouldn't take one playoff series and assume he will always play like that in the playoffs. He had his fair share of scoring chances early in that series (like where he dove at the puck and put it just wide of Rask, recovered the puck, dangled two defenders and ripped a shot on net and dinged it off the post, all in one shift), but he couldn't bury them, then eventually he sort of disappeared. Maybe next time if he scores a couple early in the series, that won't happen again.

In the 09 playoffs Mike Cammalleri was accused to disappearing in the playoffs, then the next year he tore it up and many would've considered him for the Conn Smythe if the Canadiens would've made it to the cup. I don't think Cammalleri has any more skill than Connolly to be honest, so I think Connolly can reach his level of play from the 06 playoffs if he just gets his head right.

Old
01-26-2011, 12:05 PM
msm29
Was htsportplaya

Don't underestimate the fact that Regier/Ruff may be fighting for their jobs if new ownership comes in.

Unless we're way out of it, there's no way they sell.

msm29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2011, 12:16 PM
Zip15

Quote:
Originally Posted by htsportplaya View Post
Don't underestimate the fact that Regier/Ruff may be fighting for their jobs if new ownership comes in.

Unless we're way out of it, there's no way they sell.
We don't know that. I'm assuming that one of the first things Pegula does will be to sit down with Ruff and Regier and talk about their respective futures. That will shed some light on what they should do at the deadline.

I have been and continue to be of the belief that Pegula is going to give them both one-year extensions during which time they can be evaluated by a fresh set of eyes--likely another hockey man brought in as a Team President, or similar position. From there, it'll be the Team President's job to pick the GM, and the GM's job to pick the coach.

Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2011, 12:27 PM
static80

Dump Connolly, Montador, Rivet and Niedermayer at the deadline for picks/prospects.

static80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2011, 02:08 PM
Buffaloed
Administrator
Webmaster

vCash: 1280
Re-sign McCormick and Montador.
Definitely dump Connolly, Rivet, and Niedermayer for picks.
Shop Hecht, Morrisonn, and Butler.

Buffaloed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2011, 02:51 PM
struckbyaparkedcar
Zemgus Da Gawd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffaloed View Post
Pretty much this. I'd add another tier of "testing the water for a center" consisting of Stafford/Pominville, but besides that, agreed.

I just hope they say no to rentals. I know we don't have the ridiculous core the 2009 Ducks did, but I really liked the overhaul Bob Murray pulled off at the deadline that year and I'd love us to do something similar.

struckbyaparkedcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2011, 03:56 PM
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffaloed View Post
Agree with that, but i would add to the Dump list ... Grier and Lalime. And add to the Shop list ... Gaustad.

ZZamboni is offline   Reply With Quote