HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

All-Time Team

Old
01-26-2011, 09:00 AM
markrander87

vCash: 500
All-Time Team

Perhaps this has been done before, but I haven't seen it yet. Create your All-Time team. No restrictions, No A-H or anything like that.

Does a player like Bob Gainey get placed on your 3rd or 4th line? Who is your starter? What type of 4th line do you draft? What Coach and Two Assistant Coaches do you select? What do your Specialty Teams look like?

Last edited by markrander87: 01-26-2011 at 09:13 AM.
markrander87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2011, 09:42 AM
begbeee

Bobby HullGretzkyBure
SelanneLemieuxJagr
BossyTrottierLafleur
OvechkinMessierHowe
Fedorov  

OrrPotvin
BourqueRobinson
ListromStevens
McInnis 

1. Hasek2. Roy3. Brodeur

PP1:
OvechkinGretzkyBureOrrBourque
PP2:
SelanneLemieuxJagrBobby HullMcInnis

PK1:
FedorovMessierStevensRobinson
PK2:
TrottierHowePotvinLidstrom

My team is quite modern. I know.

begbeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2011, 10:18 AM
livewell68

Quote:
Originally Posted by begbeee View Post
Bobby HullGretzkyBure
SelanneLemieuxJagr
BossyTrottierLafleur
OvechkinMessierHowe
Fedorov  

OrrPotvin
BourqueRobinson
ListromStevens
McInnis 

1. Hasek2. Roy3. Brodeur

PP1:
OvechkinGretzkyBureOrrBourque
PP2:
SelanneLemieuxJagrBobby HullMcInnis

PK1:
FedorovMessierStevensRobinson
PK2:
TrottierHowePotvinLidstrom

My team is quite modern. I know.

I like your lines but I question putting Bure on the top line. He's not even a top 5 all-time right winger.

livewell68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2011, 10:24 AM
livewell68

Line 1 LW Bobby Hull C Lemieux RW Jagr
Line 2 LW Kurri C Gretzky RW Howe
Line 3 LW Mahovlich C Beliveau RW Richard
Line 4 LW Robitaille C Dionne RW Lafleur/Esposito

1st Line Defensemen Orr and Harvey
2nd Line defensemen Lidstrom and Bourque
3rd Line Defensemen Shore and Potvin

Starting goalie Hasek
Backup goalie Roy

Old
01-26-2011, 10:25 AM
begbeee

Quote:
Originally Posted by jags6868 View Post
I like your lines but I question putting Bure on the top line. He's not even a top 5 all-time right winger.
I know Bure is questionable, but I put emphasis on line chemistry and I am convinced that it would work pretty nice on that line.

Old
01-26-2011, 10:30 AM
begbeee

Quote:
Line 1 LW Bobby Hull C Lemieux RW Jagr
Line 2 LW Kurri C Gretzky RW Howe
Line 3 LW Mahovlich C Beliveau RW Richard
Line 4 LW Robitaille C Dionne RW Lafleur/Esposito

1st Line Defensemen Orr and Harvey
2nd Line defensemen Lidstrom and Bourque
3rd Line Defensemen Shore and Potvin

Starting goalie Hasek
Backup goalie Roy
To me is Dionne and Esposito questionable. Dionne wasnot cluch and never performed great even on international level. Maybe Esposito could been effective in seventies, but his lack of skating skill would hurt him twenty-thirty years later.

Old
01-26-2011, 10:32 AM
livewell68

Quote:
I know Bure is questionable, but I put emphasis on line chemistry and I am convinced that it would work pretty nice on that line.
Bure was the kind of winger that did create his own chances and like to carry the puck on his own. He was very one-dimensional and having an elite playmaker on his line would not have done much. In fact it would have disrupted that line's chemistry.

Gretzky would benefit more from Brett Hull on his Right wing than Bure.

Brett Hull had that wicked one-time and needed a great set up guy (i.e Oates), Bure was very selfish in that sense and would try to rush up ice on his own.

Old
01-26-2011, 10:35 AM
livewell68

Quote:
To me is Dionne and Esposito questionable. Dionne wasnot cluch and never performed great even on international level. Maybe Esposito could been effective in seventies, but his lack of skating skill would hurt him twenty-thirty years later.
Esposito might have never been an elite skater but his size and his knack around the net would have made in valuable now more than ever.

Look at Thornton, he's not the best skater but he's effective because of his size.

(Jumbo Joe days, not so much anymore).

Old
01-26-2011, 10:37 AM
Reds4Life
HFBoards Sponsor

(in no order - e.g. Lindsay is not better than Hull etc.)

Lindsay - Gretzky - Howe(C)
Kharlamov - Lemieux - Jagr
Hull - Mikita - Lafleur
Ovechkin/Mahovlich* - Beliveau(A) - Richard

*coin flip

Orr - Kelly
Potvin(A) - Lidstrom
Bourque - Harvey

Hasek
Roy

Coach: Scotty Bowman

Last edited by Reds4Life: 01-26-2011 at 10:47 AM.
Reds4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2011, 10:46 AM
begbeee

Quote:
Bure was the kind of winger that did create his own chances and like to carry the puck on his own. He was very one-dimensional and having an elite playmaker on his line would not have done much.
Agree.
Quote:
In fact it would have disrupted that line's chemistry.
Maybe. Bure could be a self aimed rocket, circling the ice, attracting attention and rest of the line (Gretzky, Orr, Hull) could have more space to create offense.

Quote:
Gretzky would benefit more from Brett Hull on his Right wing than Bure. Brett Hull had that wicked one-time and needed a great set up guy (i.e Oates), Bure was very selfish in that sense and would try to rush up ice on his own.
We have seen this before in St. Louis and it didnt work like everybody expected.

Old
01-26-2011, 10:56 AM
Psycho Papa Joe
Porkchop Hoser

I'll base it on guys I saw at their best. I'll also try to make it look as much as a complete team as I can and only include guys who have played full careers:

Lemieux Gretzky Lafleur (Lemieux did have success playing the wing with Gretzky)
Messier Trottier Bossy (Messier was an all-star LW early in his career)
Kurri Yzerman Jagr (Kurri could play both Wing positions effectively)
Shanahan Clarke Neely

Potvin Lidstrom
Bourque Robinson
Chelios Pronger (hide the women and children, LOL)

Roy
Hasek

Coach - Scotty Bowman

Psycho Papa Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2011, 11:28 AM
livewell68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho Papa Joe View Post
I'll base it on guys I saw at their best. I'll also try to make it look as much as a complete team as I can and only include guys who have played full careers:

Lemieux Gretzky Lafleur (Lemieux did have success playing the wing with Gretzky)
Messier Trottier Bossy (Messier was an all-star LW early in his career)
Kurri Yzerman Jagr (Kurri could play both Wing positions effectively)
Shanahan Clarke Neely

Potvin Lidstrom
Bourque Robinson
Chelios Pronger (hide the women and children, LOL)

Roy
Hasek

Coach - Scotty Bowman

Lemieux at his best was a centerman.

By putting Gretzky and Lemieux on different lines you make the lines deeper and harder to shut down.

Also ( I know I get called a Jagr fan boy) but putting Jagr and Lemieux on the same line would be the best for chemistry.

Just like having Kurri and Gretzky on the same line, or if you have Esposito on the ice to have him on the ice with Orr; since Esposito benefited more from Orr.

Almost forgot, where is Orr?

Old
01-26-2011, 11:31 AM
Psycho Papa Joe
Porkchop Hoser

Quote:
Lemieux at his best was a centerman.

By putting Gretzky and Lemieux on different lines you make the lines deeper and harder to shut down.

Also ( I know I get called a Jagr fan boy) but putting Jagr and Lemieux on the same line would be the best for chemistry.

Just like having Kurri and Gretzky on the same line, or if you have Esposito on the ice to have him on the ice with Orr; since Esposito benefited more from Orr.
But it's my team and putting Lemieux at center will cost Yzerman his spot and I want to see Lafleur with Gretzky and Lemieux. I'm still a fanboy at heart, LOL. Plus, with Bowman as coach, the lines will be juggled anyways. Think of every possible combination of those 12 forwards, and Bowman would use them.

So basically if you move Lemieux to center, Yzerman loses his spot since I'm not going to take out the all round play of Trots or Clarke. In that case, I have to find a guy to play LW since I'm not crazy about Yzerman in that role and I refuse to add Robitaille or Goulet.

Quote:
Almost forgot, where is Orr?
Unfortunately for me, I have no recollection of seeing Orr at his best. It's as if he's been blocked from my memory, since I did watch NHL hockey in 74-75. As per my initial post, I only included guys I saw at their best.

Last edited by Psycho Papa Joe: 01-26-2011 at 02:25 PM.
Old
01-26-2011, 11:47 AM
seventieslord

Here's the ultimate all-time team. Imagine Aliens arrive and challenge Earth's all-time stars to a match and we have to put together the best possible 24-man squad. Essentially, this is a one-man ATD.

To answer the question in the OP there's no way I choose a guy like Gainey for this team over a player who can defend just as well but also score.

Hull - Gretzky - Howe (best all-time at each position who happen to have good complementary skillsets)
Lindsay - Lemieux - Richard (probably the next-best all-time at each position, Lindsay and Richard provide toughness)
Nighbor - Clarke - Kurri (ultimate shutdown line that can still provide outstanding offense)
Messier - Lalonde - Cook (a complete line of absolute fireballs with a good mix of size, toughness, defense, clutch play, and more)

Orr - Harvey (Orr is the best of all-time, harvey has the skill set to play stay-at-home to him)
Shore - Lidstrom (I do NOT think Lidstrom is better than bourque, but this low-key guy fits better here)
Bourque - Potvin (just a nice, superbly balanced pairing)

Plante
Roy (went with the safe route in net, with universal domination on the line)

Cyclone Taylor, Dit Clapper, Red Kelly (multi-positional spares, the best of all-time, all three were stars at forward and defense)

coach: Scotty Bowman (tarasov just might be better, but no taking chances, Earth is on the line here)

seventieslord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2011, 12:01 PM
raleh

Even with the earth on the line, I doubt Roy is okay with a backup role. Rather than opening up an old can of worms, I'll just say I'd prefer Sawchuck as the backup (even though you know I'd pick him as the starter!).

I like the team but I would love to find a way to replace Kurri with Trottier if he could play on the wing.

Also, I'd replace Lidstrom with Fetisov, but I know I'm alone there!

Quote:
Originally Posted by seventieslord View Post
Here's the ultimate all-time team. Imagine Aliens arrive and challenge Earth's all-time stars to a match and we have to put together the best possible 24-man squad. Essentially, this is a one-man ATD.

To answer the question in the OP there's no way I choose a guy like Gainey for this team over a player who can defend just as well but also score.

Hull - Gretzky - Howe (best all-time at each position who happen to have good complementary skillsets)
Lindsay - Lemieux - Richard (probably the next-best all-time at each position, Lindsay and Richard provide toughness)
Nighbor - Clarke - Kurri (ultimate shutdown line that can still provide outstanding offense)
Messier - Lalonde - Cook (a complete line of absolute fireballs with a good mix of size, toughness, defense, clutch play, and more)

Orr - Harvey (Orr is the best of all-time, harvey has the skill set to play stay-at-home to him)
Shore - Lidstrom (I do NOT think Lidstrom is better than bourque, but this low-key guy fits better here)

Plante

Cyclone Taylor, Dit Clapper, Red Kelly (multi-positional spares, the best of all-time, all three were stars at forward and defense)

coach: Scotty Bowman (tarasov just might be better, but no taking chances, Earth is on the line here)

raleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2011, 12:18 PM
JaymzB

Quote:

Plante

Probably the only change I'd make is to get Beliveau in there somewhere. Probably in place of Lalonde. If the earth is on the line, ya gotta have the greatest Cpatain of all time playing somewhere (not that the team is lacking leadership, but still...). Additionally, if those pesky aliens try to abduct Lemieux or Gretz, Beliveau moves up to the top 2 lines much better than Lalonde.

JaymzB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2011, 01:01 PM
markrander87

Quote:

Plante

Agree with everything here except the bolded. No case for Mikita over Lalonde in that spot?

markrander87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2011, 01:19 PM
seventieslord

Yep, totally valid to bring up the possibility of Beliveau, Mikita, or even Morenz in place of Lalonde. After all, on an all-time list and in absolute terms, they are better players (although not by much IMO, those guys rank from #7-12, and I have Lalonde around 18th)

Beliveau - has the leadership no doubt, and the winning history and although he was tough when he had to be, that's not his game usually. I need a guy who will stick those aliens right in their slimy alien teeth when they're asking for it... and even when they're not.

Mikita - has an even better offensive resume than either Lalonde or Beliveau. Did show for a few years that he can be a big penalty taker and an annoying pest, but I don't feel he was physically dominant, not like Lalonde.

Morenz - a bit more fiery than Mikita, but a lot less fiery than Lalonde. Same offensive upside as Mikita, just less playmaking.

What it comes down to, is that Lalonde is just a better 4th liner.

Leaving Beliveau off, in particular, hurts, but the role that he fills best is already capably filled by the two best centers in history.

Old
01-26-2011, 01:55 PM
bester vaive
Fear the Titan!

Quote:

Plante

seventieslord, love the inclusion of toughness. It'd be fun to see a Lindsay or Messier-Clarke-Howe or Richard line if things needed stirred up in a game!

bester vaive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2011, 02:19 PM
Robbymac

I don't even want to claim I know enough to do this, but I don't notice any Soviet players listed by anyone.

Any love for Tretiak in goal?

Robbymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2011, 02:26 PM
Psycho Papa Joe
Porkchop Hoser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbymac View Post
I don't even want to claim I know enough to do this, but I don't notice any Soviet players listed by anyone.

I think including players who didn't play in the NHL only complicates matters. There really aren't any valid points of comparison. Obviously some of the Soviet players were probably better than some of the players mentioned above.

Old
01-26-2011, 02:42 PM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by raleh View Post
Also, I'd replace Lidstrom with Fetisov, but I know I'm alone there!
You aren't alone.

John Flyers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2011, 03:11 PM
begbeee

I would say it is not bad to have in the team Hart T. winner who could play center or wing or defense (on Norris Trophy level) with excelent skating ability providing high-end offense and defense at same time. Perfect fit to any team. Every coach´s dream.

Old
01-26-2011, 03:21 PM
seventieslord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbymac View Post

To put Tretiak in goal you would have to think he's among the top-2 goalies ever. I see no argument to support that.

To put Fetisov in, you'd have to believe he was better than Potvin and/or Bourque and Lidstrom. I think he is the next-best after them.

To put Kharlamov in, you'd either have to sacrifice defense and toughness on the 3rd/4th line and put him in a role he can't fill, or you'd have to think he's better than Lindsay. I do not.

I appreciate the Soviets just fine, it's just that this is one single all-time team.

Old
01-26-2011, 03:27 PM
Unaffiliated

vCash: 50
Quote:
Bure was the kind of winger that did create his own chances and like to carry the puck on his own. He was very one-dimensional and having an elite playmaker on his line would not have done much. In fact it would have disrupted that line's chemistry.

Gretzky would benefit more from Brett Hull on his Right wing than Bure.

Brett Hull had that wicked one-time and needed a great set up guy (i.e Oates), Bure was very selfish in that sense and would try to rush up ice on his own.
The thing is, that was how he played with Trevor Linden and whoever else in Vancouver.
I can't imagine him playing the exact same style when centred by Gretzky.

Unaffiliated is offline   Reply With Quote