HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sam and Joe....Cheerleaders?

Old
01-26-2011, 12:35 PM
_P_

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to _P_
Sam and Joe....Cheerleaders?

Has anyone else noticed a change in the way the games are called by Sam and Joe this year? Every single play is a "nice pass" or a "solid bodycheck". I mean almost every play! They are either making excuses why something happened or looking for a feel good story in a simple bodycheck or blocked shot!

It is really starting to effect my enjoyment of the game. I mean I couldn't belive that I actually enjoyed the game on Versus the other night more than an MSG covered game. The announcers called out good plays only when it really was a good play. That was certainly a first for me.

Just wondering if anyone else feels the same way.

_P_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2011, 12:39 PM
BobSantos

I've felt that way since JD was calling the games. Then you get used to it. I mean, this isn't the BBC. It's an entertainment product with merchandising, tax breaks, payrolls, etc.

BobSantos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2011, 12:40 PM
ogie

not for nothing i think it has been that way since Joe joined the broadcast team. Maybe that's all he has in the way of input, besides references to the U of M.

ogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2011, 12:41 PM
Loffen
Wen Kroy

Joe is the cheerleader.

Loffen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2011, 12:43 PM
Mint Berry Crunch
hfbrods pls...

vCash: 1081
Send a message via AIM to Mint Berry Crunch
Sure, but that's absolutely part of their job. If they were more like some of the posters on HFBoards, Sam would have shot himself on the air already. With that said, they're not nearly as bad (in terms of cheerleaderism) in comparison to some of the other announcing tandems around the league.

Mint Berry Crunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2011, 12:46 PM
NYRKindms

The Broadcast crew NEVER says anything remotely critical of the players or staff

They only bad mouth people after they have left to justify the decisions of the company. They are company guys through and through.

I think they are pretty fair when it comes to homer-ism but they never ever get "real"

They have been pushing the Drury propaganda for a while, making any and all excuses for his poor play etc. They do this all the time, every year

NYRKindms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2011, 12:49 PM
Mint Berry Crunch
hfbrods pls...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRKindms View Post
The Broadcast crew NEVER says anything remotely critical of the players or staff

They only bad mouth people after they have left to justify the decisions of the company. They are company guys through and through.

I think they are pretty fair when it comes to homer-ism but they never ever get "real"

They have been pushing the Drury propaganda for a while, making any and all excuses for his poor play etc. They do this all the time, every year
Propaganda? There's no conspiracy theory here, of course a team's broadcast team is going to sell their players, why the hell wouldn't they? It's not their job to be critical, that's the analyst's job - and Dave Maloney is as honest an analyst gets on their radio broadcasts. Seriously, where are yr heads at? This is what they're paid to do.

Name me one announcer in the NHL that talks **** about their team's players? Please.

Old
01-26-2011, 01:08 PM
ReverbAndDelay
Old Time Hockey

Hell, i remember one game back in the day where J.D. was going off on the team. the one comment that sticks out in my mind was him saying "They look like they're skating on molasses."

Sorry, I like it when people call it like they see it without fear of coming off as too negative against the team they call for.

As far as the broadcasters selling the team they call for, they are actually supposed to be a neutral voice.

ReverbAndDelay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2011, 01:15 PM
allstar3970

Anybody who is complaining about Sam and Joe has never watched another team's home broadcasts. Boston and Pittsburgh come to mind as being especially bad. I'd say the rangers announcers are actually towards the low end of homerism in the NHL.

Either way, what do you expect? Home network announcers are employees of the teams, why would they be instructed to be completely neutral?

allstar3970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2011, 01:16 PM
Olympic nut

Send a message via AIM to 007 Send a message via MSN to 007
I've noticed a rise in the homerism all over the network this season. Part of it could be that this team is harder to criticize, but the entire broadcast team is so outrageously "on-message" sometimes I feel like I'm watching Pravda TV.

It's true that a lot of other broadcasters are way, way worse -- worse even than Chico and his slightly worrying obsession with Martin Brodeur. I'd hate to see MSG go down that route, and it bothers me that they seem to have taken a few steps in that direction.

007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2011, 01:17 PM
Cmox

Sam is crazy neutral to the point where I used to get annoyed how much he praised the other team.

Cmox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2011, 01:19 PM
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman

I will be sad when Sam leaves. He has been the voice of the Rangers for my entire life so i have a connection to him. Rangers games just wont be the same.

Same way my dad talks about Jim Gordon and Bill Chadwick.

Puckface NYR* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2011, 01:22 PM
averyrule

I never really pay much attention to the broadcasting team when I'm watching a hockey game. Don't understand why people get so worked up about it. I have eyes, I don't need anyone to tell me what's going on on the ice. Every once in a while they bring up facts about certain players, which is nice, but otherwise I really don't care about or pay attention to anything they say. I just enjoy the game.

averyrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2011, 01:22 PM
MSG the place to be*

Once Drury scores, the floodgates will open.

MSG the place to be* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2011, 01:23 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

They may praise the Rangers, but they also gush over the other team's players. Most other teams announcers hardly do that at all.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2011, 01:27 PM
RangerFan23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckface NYR View Post
I will be sad when Sam leaves. He has been the voice of the Rangers for my entire life so i have a connection to him. Rangers games just wont be the same.

Same way my dad talks about Jim Gordon and Bill Chadwick.
I feel the same way. It only makes sense that Sam is a Ranger fan at this point; but I think he does a great job of remaining objective. I enjoy the HNIC broadcats on NHL network (minus Pierre McGuire) but most of the other team's broadcasts are awful. The Bruins guy (Jack Edwards) is the biggest homer and obviously clueless about hockey. The Sabres guy (Rick Jennearette) is just too much most of the time. I enjoy Doc Emrick and the Canucks' announcers. Basically, we could be doing a hell of a lot worse than Sam and Joe.

RangerFan23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2011, 01:31 PM
Mint Berry Crunch
hfbrods pls...

Okay. Some of you srsly need to listen to this, haha.

/end thread

Old
01-26-2011, 01:31 PM
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman

We were spoiled with Sam and JD. JD may have been the best color man in the game. Joe really isnt THAT bad hes just a bigger homer than were used to.

I think a lot of Sam and Joe's increasing homerism comes from the guys they are constantly interacting with. Giannone is awkward and awful, trautwig is a human wrecking ball in interviews, Daneyko and Goring are hired specifically to homer the devils and Islanders and Duguay is stuck in the 70's.

The two best are Dave Maloney and Sam. Honestly i would love to see Sam calling the games with Maloney as his color man. Send joe to radio where he used to be with the islanders.

Dave reminds me of JD and he knows a TON about the game. Its the only joy i get from having to listen to games on the radio occasionally.

Puckface NYR* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2011, 01:38 PM
Blue Line Monster

They do it for both teams, though. They're not really homers, just way too positive about everything.

We're pretty lucky with them because a lot of the other broadcast teams are terrible.

I even saw some fans of other teams come to our gdt to praise our guys when it was Giannone doing pbp that day. Which shows how bad the other teams guys are.

Blue Line Monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2011, 01:44 PM
DekeR

I don't mind Sam at all, but Joe can really be an idiot sometimes and a moron on the other occasions.

DekeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2011, 02:27 PM
Kel Varnsen
Below: Nash's Heart

Anyone who thinks Joe is bad or too homerish is just flat out wrong and quite possibly doesn't watch the games.

Kel Varnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2011, 02:32 PM
Kane One
Global Moderator
🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨

vCash: 2960
Quote:
Originally Posted by genericnyrusername View Post
Anyone who thinks Joe is bad or too homerish is just flat out wrong and quite possibly doesn't watch the games.
I don't know about that..

01-26-2011, 02:44 PM
Scooter17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mint Berry Crunch View Post
Okay. Some of you srsly need to listen to this, haha.

/end thread
The Buffalo announcers are some of the worst if you ask me. I don't think Sam and Joe are that bad. At least they give credit to the other team most of the time, instead of always making excuses for the Rangers.

Scooter17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2011, 02:45 PM
Scooter17

Chico for NJ is terrible too.

Scooter17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2011, 02:48 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Uh, its kinda like, uh... their job?