HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

From Embarrassment to Embarrassment of Riches

Old
01-25-2011, 08:27 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

vCash: 500
From Embarrassment to Embarrassment of Riches

Holy crap we are deep!

With the acquisition of Wolski and the emergence of Zucca and Boyle, as well as guys like Kreider, Fasth and Thomas in the system, this team is just an embarrassment of riches. This is in sharp contrast to what we saw for a dozen years from 1995 to 2007. That was just an embarrassment.

Here's a list of our guys under 25 who have a chance to be at least average NHLers (a.k.a. at least good enough to be a real good third liner):

Centers:

1. Derek Stepan
2. Artem Anisimov
3. Brian Boyle
4. Ethan Werek
5. Andrew Yogan

Left Wings:

1. Brandon Dubinsky
2. Wojtek Wolski
3. Chris Kreider
4. Evgeny Grachev
5. Carl Hagelin
6. Roman Horak
7. Ryan Bourque

Right Wings:

1. Ryan Callahan
2. Mats Zuccarello
3. Chris Thomas
4. Jesper Fasth
* Brandon Prust is just 26 and already an above average third liner who should be here for many years.

This team will be like the Debils of the mid-90s: great goaltending plus "interchangeable parts" where the whole team is freakin' good.

And that's assuming that nobody like Kreider, Stepan, Thomas, etc. (or MDZ on defense) develops into a superstar, and we will not sign any stars, nor trade for any.

I get the feeling that our depth will be so ridiculous in 2-3 years that the GM will have no choice but to package multiple guys for one better one.

Beacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2011, 08:32 PM
Canjo
AVA

admittedly, a few of these guys i dont know a whole lot about a few of these guys but is nice to see mention or rangers depth without oneof these after it - were gonna be a damn good team in a few years if half those prospects come out on the positive side

and that makes me happy

unless its a good FA signing i wouldnt want to trade any of the parts we have right now for an expensive superstar anyway, i like the way this team is

Canjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2011, 09:14 PM
Dantes19

You're getting WAAAAAAAY ahead of yourself here.

Dantes19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2011, 09:36 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerEsq View Post
Holy crap we are deep!

With the acquisition of Wolski and the emergence of Zucca and Boyle, as well as guys like Kreider, Fasth and Thomas in the system, this team is just an embarrassment of riches. This is in sharp contrast to what we saw for a dozen years from 1995 to 2007. That was just an embarrassment.

Here's a list of our guys under 25 who have a chance to be at least average NHLers (a.k.a. at least good enough to be a real good third liner):

Centers:

1. Derek Stepan
2. Artem Anisimov
3. Brian Boyle
4. Ethan Werek
5. Andrew Yogan

Left Wings:

1. Brandon Dubinsky
2. Wojtek Wolski
3. Chris Kreider
4. Evgeny Grachev
5. Carl Hagelin
6. Roman Horak
7. Ryan Bourque

Right Wings:

1. Ryan Callahan
2. Mats Zuccarello
3. Chris Thomas
4. Jesper Fasth
* Brandon Prust is just 26 and already an above average third liner who should be here for many years.

This team will be like the Debils of the mid-90s: great goaltending plus "interchangeable parts" where the whole team is freakin' good.

And that's assuming that nobody like Kreider, Stepan, Thomas, etc. (or MDZ on defense) develops into a superstar, and we will not sign any stars, nor trade for any.

I get the feeling that our depth will be so ridiculous in 2-3 years that the GM will have no choice but to package multiple guys for one better one.
Youre really, really reaching at straws with the 2nd half of those lists. I doubt you see a number of those guys ever suit up in the regular season for the Rangers.

I also wouldn't hold my breath that a superstar is going to emerge out of this prospects pool.

But yes, this is the deepest pool we've had since the early 90's, but unfortunately thats not saying much at all.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2011, 09:46 PM
broadwayblue

Not sure why the naysayers are out in full force. The future has never looked brighter for the New York Rangers.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2011, 09:51 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Youre really, really reaching at straws with the 2nd half of those lists. I doubt you see a number of those guys ever suit up in the regular season for the Rangers.
I ranked them based on what I see as their present day value. Obviously the lower guys have less value. But while guys like Bourque and Fasth may not be locks, I see no reason why they can't be really good third liners or even better. No guarantee, of course, but there's a chance.

Maybe the chance is 20% for some guys and 70% for other guys, but if a kid has a decent shot, I listed him.

When you have 7 LWs with third line or better potential (two of whom, Dubinsky and Wolski, are already really good players), you've gotta figure that a few of them will actually be good enough to be at least average NHLers.

Old
01-25-2011, 10:07 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

It's a treasure trove !

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2011, 10:28 PM
satrabyk

Idk but im im a lot more excited about the D core that we have going forward. I mean Stall, MDZ, Vtank (i kno hes not proven but i like what i see), Sauer, Girardi, Mccdonaugh. The Offense is a little more questionable imo but i like r goalie and D going forward, if we can create an strong Offense than were serious contenders for years to come, even without the superstars.

satrabyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2011, 10:31 PM
satrabyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerEsq View Post
I ranked them based on what I see as their present day value. Obviously the lower guys have less value. But while guys like Bourque and Fasth may not be locks, I see no reason why they can't be really good third liners or even better. No guarantee, of course, but there's a chance.

Maybe the chance is 20% for some guys and 70% for other guys, but if a kid has a decent shot, I listed him.

When you have 7 LWs with third line or better potential (two of whom, Dubinsky and Wolski, are already really good players), you've gotta figure that a few of them will actually be good enough to be at least average NHLers.
I wouldint be too set on Wolski, this is his typical style, get some points early on, and than fade away. I hope he can keep it up but from watching him on Phx he really faded as time went on.

satrabyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2011, 10:47 PM
rangers4ever2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by satrabyk View Post
I wouldint be too set on Wolski, this is his typical style, get some points early on, and than fade away. I hope he can keep it up but from watching him on Phx he really faded as time went on.
if glen knows that, he can trade him at the deadline for a solid veteran d-man. and give his spot to grachev full time.

rangers4ever2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2011, 10:50 PM
Killem Dafoe
Global Moderator
Look at this graph.

vCash: 50
we got some good depth. this is the first off season i wouldnt mind if we didnt sign any big name players.

Killem Dafoe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2011, 11:12 PM
Pizza

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
Not sure why the naysayers are out in full force. The future has never looked brighter for the New York Rangers.
Well it's tough to argue with whats happening right in front of our faces each game. So any focus on the future is a good place to get negative. The sky can always fall right?

In all seriousness, Ive been watching Ranger hockey for decades now and I've never seen a deeper pipeline. Not even close.

These are the good old days.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2011, 02:38 AM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

Let's see some of these kids lace them up in the NHL before we call ourselves rich.

hpNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2011, 02:48 AM
donpaulo
Capt Barry Beck

the situation when it comes to da kids in the system is a glass half full certainly. Makes it easier to improve the club and keep costs under control when a team can backfill from the AHL.

I agree with the sentiment that the blueline holds the biggest promise for the club.

I am still skeptical on the forwards but I am hoping to be proved wrong on that account

also I don't think that Prust is better than average. Don't get me wrong I really enjoy his game and the sandpaper and guts he brings to NY, I just don't think he is better than average. If he can pot 20, well thats a different story

donpaulo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2011, 07:52 AM
JimmyStart*

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpNYR View Post
Let's see some of these kids lace them up in the NHL before we call ourselves rich.
If that's what you wanna do of course by all means but some of us (not even all of us) are def gonna enjoy this. I've never fully experienced a championship win as a fan(I was not into hockey in 94, don't give a crap about baseball and I like the Giants but I'm not a fan...though seeing NE beat was priceless.). I wanna enjoy seeing it coming, drumming up excitement and if it fails then go right back to being a miuserable POS.

But for now. New york rangers! F YEA! Stockin the farm to win the stanley cup one day now!

(Yea that is to the America F yea song)

JimmyStart* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2011, 08:26 AM
ogie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
It's a treasure trove !

awesome....somewhere right now the mouth is grinning ear to ear.

ogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2011, 08:33 AM
KreiMeARiver*
Have Confidence

I nominate this thread for overstatement of the year.

KreiMeARiver* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2011, 08:49 AM
Badko

I realize the Cup is the ultimate goal, but I gotta tell ya...this year's team is the most fun I've had watching Ranger games in a long, long time. Maybe there are no "superstars" in our young crop, but I like what they've been bringing to the table. Personally, I think they'll gel given the time and it's nice knowing there are replacement troops in the system.

Badko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2011, 08:59 AM
Badko

Quote:
Originally Posted by donpaulo View Post
also I don't think that Prust is better than average. Don't get me wrong I really enjoy his game and the sandpaper and guts he brings to NY, I just don't think he is better than average. If he can pot 20, well thats a different story
For some people, it's all about the goals. If you could roll out three lines with all 20 goal scorers, then I'd agree that Prust is not better than average. As for his value to the team for all the roles he contributes to as part of the team concept, Prust is most definitely better than average.

Badko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2011, 09:02 AM
Gardner McKay
Cupcake schedule.

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dantes19 View Post
You're getting WAAAAAAAY ahead of yourself here.
Or are you just WAAAAAYYYYY farther behind then the rest of us?

Heres a glass, and ill pour some water for you. Oh look its half full.

Gardner McKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2011, 11:01 AM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

I listed Prust because I think he can hold his own on a third line of a Cup contender. I don't think he would be treated as a weak link on the third line.

Old
01-26-2011, 11:04 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
It's a treasure trove !

LOL

Imagine if Cherepanov were still around...

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2011, 11:39 AM
ColonialsHockey10

There is no middle ground on these forums. People are either overrating prospects to death, or calling out people for going over the top. The only stretches on the OP's list are Bourque and Yogan. Fasth is already a top 6 player in Sweden, at the age of 18, so how is it outlandish to think he could possibly become a top 9 player in the NHL?

Everyone needs to loosen up a bit, because in a few months we will have probably had 5 players drafted in the 2008 draft playing an NHL game, and playing well. That's ****ing amazing.

ColonialsHockey10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2011, 11:42 AM
ColonialsHockey10

Bourque outplayed the **** out of Jeremy Morin in the WJC, but Bourque can't crack our top 15 prospects, while Morin is a top 5 player on nearly every prospect pool.

ColonialsHockey10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2011, 11:44 AM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonialsHockey10 View Post
There is no middle ground on these forums. People are either overrating prospects to death, or calling out people for going over the top. The only stretches on the OP's list are Bourque and Yogan.

I agree that Yogan is a reach. If you look at the prospect polls, I was arguing that he should not be voted for in the late teens. If it were up to me, I'd place him deep into the 20s among our prospects.

But many people seem to like him, so I threw him in there. He's easily the weakest link on my list, as far as I am concerned.