HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Who Gets Scratched? / Line Combos

Old
01-27-2011, 12:09 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Wolf View Post
Then he needs to step up and BE that gamebreaker like we know he is capable of doing. He's been that gamebreaker in 3 games this season. Thats it. What is needed to wake him up?
He had a huge tying goals in Tampa and Washington as well. I agree we could use more production. But not enough to trade him or keep him out of the lineup, thats absurd.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 12:11 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Wolf View Post
Then he needs to step up and BE that gamebreaker like we know he is capable of doing. He's been that gamebreaker in 3 games this season. Thats it. What is needed to wake him up?
Time and patience, I suppose.

With those other 3 lines, we can afford to be patient with him. But I can't see any sort of return that would mean trading our star. Even if he isnt scoring, the opposition is focuses on him.

01-27-2011, 12:12 PM
bernmeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
i dont think drury ever slacks out there...i think he always plays his heart out.

hes just got nothing left in the tank to give us.
Agree, except that caveat is how much that bum hand is affecting his shot, and if that carries over;

if healed enough, he could get us 10 goals over the half season, with spirited play.
If not adequate, then it will be more of the same

bernmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 12:18 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernmeister View Post
Agree, except that caveat is how much that bum hand is affecting his shot, and if that carries over;

if healed enough, he could get us 10 goals over the half season, with spirited play.
If not adequate, then it will be more of the same
I dont think its as simple as that. Hes not getting himself into prime scoring positions for a number of reasons. He defers to everyone else.

Lately, the last few games or so, hes been around the net a little more and has been involved in close a few times. Result of his hand getting better? Maybe. Hopefully that continues. But for the first 15 games back or so, he was dreadful in all areas of the offensive zone.

Plus, if his hand is so bad and effecting his stickwork, then how do we explain his stellar faceoff percentage?

Old
01-27-2011, 01:25 PM
SickNice

Gabby's production would likely improve with either Prospal or Christensen centering him. That said, I don't know what value Christensen brings if Prospal is healthy. I would expect one of these two guys to be the odd man out. The former if he not fully healthy, the latter if Prospal is healthy.

SickNice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 01:30 PM
Wraparounds
Powerful Wizard

This is how I see it realistically playing out:

Avery/Prospal - Christensen/Prospal - Gaborik
Wolski - Stepan - Zuccarello
Dubinsky - Anisimov - Callahan
Fedotenko/Drury - Boyle - Prust

Rotating healthy scratches (in order of likelihood): Prospal, Christensen, Avery, Drury, Fedotenko

Staal - Girardi
McDonagh - Sauer
Eminger/Del Zotto - Gilroy/Eminger

Rotating healthy scratches(in order of likelihood): Del Zotto, Gilroy, Eminger

Lundqvist
Biron

Wraparounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 01:35 PM
rickyrod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmox View Post
I would hope Drury but from what Joe and Sam were saying last night it may be Zucca.
11 points and a perfect record in the shootout in 17 games? No way Torts sits him for anything more than a break (which he won't even need because of the all-star game break right now).

rickyrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 01:41 PM
Blatant
Formerly NYRFan1823

I think they should pair up Gaborik with someone consistent. How is he supposed to develop chemistry with someone, when he has a different line every single night. I think EC comes back and plays with Gabby. I am going to believe prospal is healthy and able to go, when I see it with my own eyes.

I see the lines being...

Dubinsky-AA-Cally
Avery-EC-Gabby
Wolski-Stepan-MZA
Feds-Boyle-Prust

Prospal maybe can replace avery/EC if he is healthy. Drury will probably play but I dont know where he would fit. I do think he contributes some to the team, but who is he better than? Fedotenko sure as hell doesnt deserved to be scratched.

As for the Defense, I liked Del Zotto the other game, I think he should be playing.

Staal-Girardi
Sauer-MDZ
McD/Eminger/Gilroy

Blatant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 01:44 PM
GregNYR19
agitator

Send a message via AIM to GregNYR19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmox View Post
I would hope Drury but from what Joe and Sam were saying last night it may be Zucca.
i agree its gonna most likely be him unfortunately

GregNYR19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 01:47 PM
Blatant
Formerly NYRFan1823

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragshockey88 View Post
i agree its gonna most likely be him unfortunately
To be honest, with all of the injuries this year, and everyone not 100%. There's not that great of a chance that everyone is fully healthy at the same time. Situations like this seem to work themselves out.

Old
01-27-2011, 01:48 PM
Ola

We can always speculate -- but what shape will Prospal be when/if he comes back?

He will not just be able to step in and start at where he stopped last year.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 01:53 PM
Dredden
JT Miller

Theres no ways Zuccarello will be scratched. Hes brought a lot of offense and skill to this team. Plus hes clicking with Stepan and Wolski.

Dredden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 02:03 PM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy Duke of NY View Post
Anyways...

While we all know Gaborik and his line have hardly been an every game force like the Dubi-AA-Cally line early in the year, the Feds-Boyle-Prust line or the recent Wolski-Stepan-Zucc finesse line, we need a gamebreaker.

Maybe he isnt the most important player on our team any more. But we need that guy that the opponents are always looking to guard. Having a Prospal-EC-gaborik line amongst the other 3 I mentioned at the end of the year means that one of our other lines will have to see less of our oppenents top defensemen. That alone is very important.

How do you defend against a wave including the Gaborik line, the Dubi line, the Stepan line, while getting grinded out below the hashmarks by the Boyle line?

Its about wave-by-wave attack. Having Gaborik makes any line he is on the focal point of the defense.
Alllll this and what HBNYC said after. Stop trying to trade gaborik anywhere possible. He is not Chris Drury. Some of you are practically on your way to the insane asylum. Just because we've finally gotten secondary scoring you feel all the sudden comfortable to trade your best and most dangerous offensive talent regardless of the season is having. You know what those other 3 lines dont have to face every game? The opposing team's best defensive pair. That's because they are matching up gaborik every shift that they can. You trade gaborik, and all the sudden those other lines will be much less effective. Gaborik has the best defenseman on each team shadow him every night just like we have Marc Staal take on the AO's, Crosby's, Kovalchuk's, etc of the league. Stop being so ignorant to what actually occurs in a game and how opposing coaches draw up their game plan.

RGY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 02:05 PM
Bardof425*

I will believe Prospal is back when I see it. So, assuming Calli, Dubi, EC and Feds are back you will see.

Dubi EC Gabby
Wolski Steps MZA
Aves Ani/Drury Calli
Feds Boyle Prust

If MZA fails to continue producing Calli will be moved up. I think two of Anisimov, EC and Drury will be dressed based on who is producing. And EC will get an opportunity to play with Gabby to see if they can recapture the strong play of last year. If EC cannot produce with Gabby he will be traded and your centers will be Steps, Ani, Boyle and Dru. I believe Torts would like to leave the Boyle and Stepan lines alone and mix and match with the other 6 forwards all in an attempt to get Gabby scoring consistently.

Bardof425* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 02:12 PM
Bardof425*

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRfan1823 View Post
I think they should pair up Gaborik with someone consistent. How is he supposed to develop chemistry with someone, when he has a different line every single night. I think EC comes back and plays with Gabby. I am going to believe prospal is healthy and able to go, when I see it with my own eyes.

I see the lines being...

Dubinsky-AA-Cally
Avery-EC-Gabby
Wolski-Stepan-MZA
Feds-Boyle-Prust

Prospal maybe can replace avery/EC if he is healthy. Drury will probably play but I dont know where he would fit. I do think he contributes some to the team, but who is he better than? Fedotenko sure as hell doesnt deserved to be scratched.

As for the Defense, I liked Del Zotto the other game, I think he should be playing.

Staal-Girardi
Sauer-MDZ
McD/Eminger/Gilroy
Coming out of the break the following four d-men will get top 4 minutes:

Staal
Girardi
McD
Sauer

I believe that MDZ will replace Eminger within a month for the benefit of our PP and he and Gilroy will likely be the 3rd pair. The way Gilroy has played lately that should work just fine.

Bardof425* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 02:39 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bardof425 View Post

Staal
Girardi
McD
Sauer

I believe that MDZ will replace Eminger within a month for the benefit of our PP and he and Gilroy will likely be the 3rd pair. The way Gilroy has played lately that should work just fine.
I'm not seeing that. Eminger has been pretty damn good. I know Torts likes DZ's PP ability, but you are still sacrificing so much defensively out there with him.

We'll see i guess.

Old
01-27-2011, 02:45 PM
Blatant
Formerly NYRFan1823

Quote:

Staal
Girardi
McD
Sauer

You don't want MDZ/Gilroy as a pair. Both are offensive defenseman, and need a defensive defenseman as a counterpart. They both need someone like sauer/mcd to pair with.

Old
01-27-2011, 02:49 PM
Jabroni
The People's Champ

Quote:

Staal
Girardi
McD
Sauer

if MDZ is going to replace anyone, it's going to be Gilroy and even that's probably not going to happen, considering the way Gilroy's been playing.

Jabroni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 03:09 PM
eco's bones

Zuccarello belongs in the lineup every night. Torts has said over and over he's going to play the kids and so far he's stuck with that.

The obvious choice to sit is Drury. After that Prospal (who can't be in game shape), Christensen and Avery. Personally I'd play every single one of that group over Drury and probably Newbury and maybe Kolarik as well.

Stepan-Gaborik-Wolski
Anisimov-Callahan-Dubinsky
Boyle-Prust-Fedotenko
Christensen/Prospal-MZA-Avery

Can do a lot of tweaking with the lines but basically these are the guys to go with.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 03:26 PM
94now

It is a little bit funny to assume that player returns after injury the way he was prior. Some will not be the same, some will be. Some one will either get hurt or be traded. So don't worry about extra forwards, they will be used. No way we will see the full list that people continue to manipulate here.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 03:48 PM
PawelW007

For the people who say Avery is going to get scratched, I don't see it. He brings too much energy and is 3rd on the team in assists. I also just have a gut feeling prospal isnt going to make it through 5 games before he either proves he's done or reinjures the knee. How they activate him a week and a half after basically saying his knee strength is still not even close, I don't know.

PawelW007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 03:53 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by PawelW007 View Post
For the people who say Avery is going to get scratched, I don't see it. He brings too much energy and is 3rd on the team in assists. I also just have a gut feeling prospal isnt going to make it through 5 games before he either proves he's done or reinjures the knee. How they activate him a week and a half after basically saying his knee strength is still not even close, I don't know.
Someones going to have to sit. They had to activate him to get the roster number right.

You could be right about Prospal though.

Quote:
As for Ryan Callahan and Vinny Prospal being activated off injured reserve following last night’s game, the Rangers did need to have 20 players on their active roster and with five players headed back to Connecticut (AHL) after the game, they needed two.

Callahan we knew about - he’s targeting the Tuesday game against the Penguins. I wouldn’t necessarily assume Prospal is ready to go right back into the lineup yet and the Rangers may very well bring back Kris Newbury and/or Chad Kolarik before facing the Penguins. It’s quite likely Erik Christensen and possibly Brandon Dubinsky will be skating with the team next week as well as they come back from leg injuries.
http://blogs.northjersey.com/blogs/rangerrants/

Old
01-27-2011, 03:55 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

So with Callahan back we're healthy at RW. Gaborik, Callahan, Zuccarello, Prust down the right side.

makes you wonder if they'll move Zuccarello over until Dubinsky comes back.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 04:47 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

Regarding sending MDZ down to Hartford Torts has said he's got an obligation to put the best team possible on the ice. Drury has shown he can't beat out AHLers for a job. NO WAY he deserves one over NHLers. Send him back to Trumbul!!!

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 04:50 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by PawelW007 View Post
I unfortunately have the same feeling. I feel a Vinny Prospal retirement coming soon.

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote