HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

D Michael Matheson - Dubuque Fighting Saints, USHL (2012 Draft)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-26-2011, 01:04 PM
  #1
NinthSpoke06
Registered User
 
NinthSpoke06's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Chestnut Hill
Country: United States
Posts: 9,567
vCash: 50
D Michael Matheson - Dubuque Fighting Saints, USHL (2012 Draft)

The highly touted defensemen from Montreal, has committed to play at Boston College in 2012 after committing to play a year in the USHL with the Dubuque Fighting Saints. Opting not to play QMJHL.

Quote:
Michael Matheson felt as though the weight of the hockey world had been lifted from his shoulders when he decided his short- and long-term futures.

After months of careful consideration, the 16-year-old defenseman from suburban Montreal committed to play at Boston College. To prepare mentally and physically for the Hockey East conference, Matheson will spend next season with the Dubuque Fighting Saints, who hold his United States Hockey League rights.

Matheson, who turns 17 next month, has been projected as high-round pick in the 2012 NHL Draft. He rejected an opportunity to play in the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League, which pegged him as its No. 1 prospect last spring, because it would have jeopardized his college eligibility.

"It's a huge relief to have it all out of the way," Matheson said. "Now, I can go back to being a regular 16-year-old and concentrate on just going to school and playing hockey again.

"I couldn't go wrong with any of the three (finalists), and it's not like I could say anything bad about any of them. With BC, it's just that I loved the campus, the guys on the team, the atmosphere in the locker room ... it just had a family feel about it."
http://www.thonline.com/article.cfm?id=309727

I thought this deserved it's own thread because it's is not too often you see highly touted Canadian players pass up the CHL for the NCAA (I'm also excited at a BC fan).

NinthSpoke06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2011, 01:26 PM
  #2
Pick Six
@Lafortune_FC
 
Pick Six's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Mississauga
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,813
vCash: 500
I'm not really familiar with the Jr. A system in Quebec but why didn't he go there instead for his 16 year old season? Even going to a prep school for a year or going to the USHL a year earlier would have been better for his development than AAA again, IMO.

I'm just reminded of Lucas Lessio having his stock drop for opting to take his 16 year in the CCHL (a weak Jr. A league that is now gone), then jumping to the OHL and having to transition.

That being said, I'm interested in hearing more about him, he sounds like an interesting prospect.

Pick Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2011, 01:34 PM
  #3
JeromeHP
@Jerome_Berube
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,580
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pick Six View Post
I'm not really familiar with the Jr. A system in Quebec but why didn't he go there instead for his 16 year old season? Even going to a prep school for a year or going to the USHL a year earlier would have been better for his development than AAA again, IMO.

I'm just reminded of Lucas Lessio having his stock drop for opting to take his 16 year in the CCHL (a weak Jr. A league that is now gone), then jumping to the OHL and having to transition.

That being said, I'm interested in hearing more about him, he sounds like an interesting prospect.
Jr.A in Quebec is not really strong. will have been better for him going to ushl this year but Louis Leblanc did the same thing and didnt hurt his developpement. He probably did want to finnish his high school at home and played with his buddy one last year.

he's a great players...no doubt his first round talent for 2012 nhl draft. amazing skater.

JeromeHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2011, 07:38 PM
  #4
LaLaLaprise
lalalaprise -twitter
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Halifax, Nova Scotia
Posts: 8,717
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanSeguin View Post

I thought this deserved it's own thread because it's is not too often you see highly touted Canadian players pass up the CHL for the NCAA (I'm also excited at a BC fan).
You see it a lot actually...

LaLaLaprise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 12:24 AM
  #5
SPORTSMANIAC
Registered User
 
SPORTSMANIAC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Lewiston, Maine
Country: United States
Posts: 2,594
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to SPORTSMANIAC
I don't think he couldn't have played in the USHL this season because Hockey Canada's rules on 16 year olds cant play Jr. A hockey outside of their home province. I could be wrong though.

He could have played prep school hockey in the States no problem

SPORTSMANIAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2011, 06:55 AM
  #6
BLBarmada
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Quebec
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,385
vCash: 500
Michael Matheson

How is he doing over in Dubuque?? Is he adjusting well ?? Still intent on BC ?
Any one seen him play recently ?

BLBarmada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2011, 02:27 PM
  #7
IkeaMonkey*
HF Hall of Famer
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: derderderderderderde
Country: Sao Tome e Principe
Posts: 12,073
vCash: 500
I saw him play a couple weeks ago. Wasn't very fair to him however as they played him on the wing for the first two periods because DBQ is so stacked on D. He shifted back to D during the third(And on the PP/PK all game). Also saw him on opening night and was very impressed. Reminded me a lot of Brian Cooper last year(Cooper has yet to do it this year...) in how he would control a game, during that game from the back side.

IkeaMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2011, 03:21 PM
  #8
WeissFC
@WeissFC
 
WeissFC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 300
vCash: 500
Brief write-up on Matheson's play in the month of October.

http://futureconsiderations.ca/ushle...aft-attention/

WeissFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2011, 05:20 PM
  #9
Pilgore88
Registered User
 
Pilgore88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: East Coast
Posts: 3,516
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by a komets fan View Post
Brief write-up on Matheson's play in the month of October.

http://futureconsiderations.ca/ushle...aft-attention/
There is no mention of Matheson in the article.

Pilgore88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 11:56 AM
  #10
herbst20
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 442
vCash: 500
I do not know if there is any truth to this or not, but I am hearing Michael might have signed with a QMJHL team. His rights were traded to Moncton recently. His brother was also traded off the Dubuque Fighting Saints last week. Like I said this is a rumor I have seen on a USHL board , but where there is smoke, there is usually fire.

herbst20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 12:16 PM
  #11
Edges7
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: MA
Country: United States
Posts: 866
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by herbst20 View Post
I do not know if there is any truth to this or not, but I am hearing Michael might have signed with a QMJHL team. His rights were traded to Moncton recently. His brother was also traded off the Dubuque Fighting Saints last week. Like I said this is a rumor I have seen on a USHL board , but where there is smoke, there is usually fire.
Both he and his brother have returned to Canada.

Edges7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 01:47 PM
  #12
BLBarmada
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Quebec
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,385
vCash: 500
Haha I knew it, I didnt know he had a brother.

They'll both head to Moncton now.

BLBarmada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 02:00 PM
  #13
herbst20
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 442
vCash: 500
I asked the question on Dubuque's facebook page and got this as a response:

Dubuque Fighting Saints Mike Matheson is a dedicated student-athlete who has rejected offers for the past two years from the QMJHL. These rumors of him leaving are completely false. Come watch Mike Matheson and the rest of the Dubuque Fighting Saints next Thursday night as they take on the NTDP U-18s!

herbst20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 02:21 PM
  #14
Edges7
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: MA
Country: United States
Posts: 866
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by herbst20 View Post
I asked the question on Dubuque's facebook page and got this as a response:

Dubuque Fighting Saints Mike Matheson is a dedicated student-athlete who has rejected offers for the past two years from the QMJHL. These rumors of him leaving are completely false. Come watch Mike Matheson and the rest of the Dubuque Fighting Saints next Thursday night as they take on the NTDP U-18s!
At around 10AM this morning, Moncton had him on their website on their roster page. I see that his name has now since been removed.

I was told this morning that Michael had left Dubuque Sunday afternoon for Montreal and that the Gormley trade was consumated because Matheson was reporting.

Edges7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 02:27 PM
  #15
Edges7
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: MA
Country: United States
Posts: 866
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLBarmada View Post
Haha I knew it, I didnt know he had a brother.

They'll both head to Moncton now.
The brother re-signed/joined with the Brockville Braves.


Last edited by Edges7: 01-10-2012 at 02:33 PM.
Edges7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 02:32 PM
  #16
derbyfan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 656
vCash: 500
I know this is purely speculation at this time and we haven't heard any confirmation. But it would be one hell of an acquisition for Moncton.

Also - if Kenny couldn't cut it on Dubuque, could he really make Moncton? Will be interesting to see.

derbyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 02:36 PM
  #17
Yeti
HFBoards Partner
 
Yeti's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Country: United States
Posts: 2,290
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by derbyfan View Post
I know this is purely speculation at this time and we haven't heard any confirmation. But it would be one hell of an acquisition for Moncton.

Also - if Kenny couldn't cut it on Dubuque, could he really make Moncton? Will be interesting to see.
I wouldn't say he couldn't cut it at Dubuque. The USHL is a much more defensive-oriented league than the Q is, and Matheson scored 13 points (4g, 9a) in 29 games. 7 of those 13 points came on the PP. He was/is Dubuque's top scorer on defense. For a '94 in a defensive first type of league, I think his numbers are pretty good. I'm sure he was a top pairing defenseman for Duqubue. Top 4 at the least.

Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 02:41 PM
  #18
Edges7
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: MA
Country: United States
Posts: 866
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeti View Post
I wouldn't say he couldn't cut it at Dubuque. The USHL is a much more defensive-oriented league than the Q is, and Matheson scored 13 points (4g, 9a) in 29 games. 7 of those 13 points came on the PP. He was/is Dubuque's top scorer on defense. For a '94 in a defensive first type of league, I think his numbers are pretty good. I'm sure he was a top pairing defenseman for Duqubue. Top 4 at the least.
Wrong Matheson. Michael, a defenseman, had 13 points. Kenny, a forward, had 3 or 4.

Edges7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 02:43 PM
  #19
Edges7
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: MA
Country: United States
Posts: 866
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeti View Post
.
Roy stayed I take it so Chad is off his meds?

Edges7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 02:46 PM
  #20
derbyfan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 656
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edges7 View Post
Wrong Matheson. Michael, a defenseman, had 13 points. Kenny, a forward, had 3 or 4.
Thanks, yes I was referring to Kenny. I know the U is more defensively oriented, but his point totals indicate he obviously wasn't an impact player.
I'm just interested in seeing if he could crack Moncton. Michael I have no doubts about.

derbyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 02:49 PM
  #21
IkeaMonkey*
HF Hall of Famer
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: derderderderderderde
Country: Sao Tome e Principe
Posts: 12,073
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by derbyfan View Post
Thanks, yes I was referring to Kenny. I know the U is more defensively oriented, but his point totals indicate he obviously wasn't an impact player.
I'm just interested in seeing if he could crack Moncton. Michael I have no doubts about.
Kenny could probably be a servicable fourth liner, nothing more though. He really wasn't that great in Dubuque.

IkeaMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 02:52 PM
  #22
Yeti
HFBoards Partner
 
Yeti's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Country: United States
Posts: 2,290
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by derbyfan View Post
Thanks, yes I was referring to Kenny. I know the U is more defensively oriented, but his point totals indicate he obviously wasn't an impact player.
I'm just interested in seeing if he could crack Moncton. Michael I have no doubts about.
My apologies, derbyfan. I misread your post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edges7 View Post
Roy stayed I take it so Chad is off his meds?
What?

Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 03:00 PM
  #23
BLBarmada
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Quebec
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,385
vCash: 500
I didn't know that Kenny was 20.

BLBarmada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 03:03 PM
  #24
Edges7
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: MA
Country: United States
Posts: 866
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeti View Post
What?
Heard Chad was a bit under the weather over the Holidays. A touch of the Canadian Flu brought on by the fear of a sudden loss of his best goal scorer, perhaps?

There is no way that he didn't spend a week dropping rectangular bits of stone all over Southern North Dakota when the Roy news hit.

Edges7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 03:05 PM
  #25
Yeti
HFBoards Partner
 
Yeti's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Country: United States
Posts: 2,290
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edges7 View Post
Heard Chad was a bit under the weather over the Holidays. A touch of the Canadian Flu brought on by the fear of a sudden loss of his best goal scorer, perhaps?
No idea.

Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:02 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.