HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Miscellaneous NHL Discussion including Fantasy Talk, #8

Closed Thread

Old
02-13-2011, 05:02 PM
FlyHigh

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
All I could think the whole time was "hypocrite."

Not to mention Malkin, who is allowed to get away with murder unless it's so unbelievably blatant that something needs to be called.
Yeah, Malkin is the underrated one there, he's gotten away with more than a few borderline plays since he's come into the league.

I already ranted about it yesterday, but that entire organization is just sickening. I mean, the more you read and hear, you realize that Crosby isn't really that bad compared to the rest and let's remember that Crosby has jumped guys from behind and also off FOs.

I mean, this team employs Matt Cooke, leads the league in fighting majors, had a player hop off the bench, and is now complaining about "sideshows" and "conduct detrimental to the game."

W. T. F.

Old
02-13-2011, 05:16 PM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaosof99 View Post
3) Michael Grabner (from Austria in case you didn't know) scored a hat trick, with the 3rd goal being an Overtime Winner against Buffalo. Kid's making a bid for the Calder.
Let's see how many high draft picks the Islanders get before they finally have one of their guys win a Calder.

Old
02-13-2011, 06:30 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 450
Someone want to post a link from Mario's statement?

I was checking on twitter during the game and I saw a few RT's from an anonymous NHL Governor saying something along the lines of "If Mario wants to help fix the game, maybe he should start showing up to meetings."

Stop Feeding the Rumor-Monger

"I wonder if Norstrom has Forsberg's spleen mounted on his wall." - KINGS17

My 50 Favorite Albums of 2014 (sorry it's late)
Old
02-13-2011, 07:18 PM
FlyHigh

The other thing that irks me is that the defense for Cooke and etc. is that "they do it within the game."

I mean, that's a bunch of ******** and it's embarrassingly that even someone like the guy on Puck Daddy would buy it.

What the Islanders did was embarrassing to be sure, but none of it was ultimately life-threatening or career-threatening.

To me, what Cooke did to Savard is 10x worse than whatever happened on Friday night. Savard was an elite player in this league whose career has been derailed, and probably terminated. Additionally, the complications from this could lead to a lower quality of life and an earlier death.

How the **** is that being ignored?

That actually happened. Sure, Haley looked like a ***** going after Johnson and Gillies is a d-bag, but none of what they did had 1/100 of the impact that the Cooke hit has had on the life and career of Marc Savard.

The fact that this is apparently being justified because Cooke chose to cheapshot Savard within the game instead of roughing him up after the whistle is ****ing pathetic.

I mean, again, Cooke has already wrecked one player's career. Whatever happened in that fracas is nothing compared to that.

Old
02-13-2011, 07:21 PM
Terence Peterman

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
Someone want to post a link from Mario's statement?

I was checking on twitter during the game and I saw a few RT's from an anonymous NHL Governor saying something along the lines of "If Mario wants to help fix the game, maybe he should start showing up to meetings."
Whoa.

Old
02-13-2011, 07:25 PM
Terence Peterman

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post
The other thing that irks me is that the defense for Cooke and etc. is that "they do it within the game."

I mean, that's a bunch of ******** and it's embarrassingly that even someone like the guy on Puck Daddy would buy it.

What the Islanders did was embarrassing to be sure, but none of it was ultimately life-threatening or career-threatening.

To me, what Cooke did to Savard is 10x worse than whatever happened on Friday night. Savard was an elite player in this league whose career has been derailed, and probably terminated. Additionally, the complications from this could lead to a lower quality of life and an earlier death.

How the **** is that being ignored?

That actually happened. Sure, Haley looked like a ***** going after Johnson and Gillies is a d-bag, but none of what they did had 1/100 of the impact that the Cooke hit has had on the life and career of Marc Savard.

The fact that this is apparently being justified because Cooke chose to cheapshot Savard within the game instead of roughing him up after the whistle is ****ing pathetic.

I mean, again, Cooke has already wrecked one player's career. Whatever happened in that fracas is nothing compared to that.
I never understood the argument that handling something while the clock was running is the mature, appropriate way to do things. If both guys are aware/willing after the whistle they're going to have at it -- words or worse. I understand this wasn't entirely the case with the Isles, but still, it's not as if player X goes after player Y after the game in the tunnel or on the path to the bus. The whole time they're on the rink is the game to me.

This isn't to say I don't think it's stupid sometimes, or that handling it in-play isn't usually better, but that Isles-Pens game was out of hand in one aspect or another pretty much from the get-go. Crazy **** happens under those circumstances.

Old
02-13-2011, 07:26 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

RT @wyshynski: Garth Snow saying Gillies "he had the right intentions" on the Tangradi hit is pretty much the scummiest spin I've read from a GM.

RT @JSportsnet: Message from one NHL Governor..."If Mario would like to change the game, maybe he should show up at the meetings."

RT @DownGoesBrown: Best-case scenario: Next time Cooke tries to end a career, league suspends him for 80 games and cites Lemieux's statement. Everyone's happy.

Old
02-13-2011, 07:37 PM
FlyHigh

Quote:
RT @wyshynski: Garth Snow saying Gillies "he had the right intentions" on the Tangradi hit is pretty much the scummiest spin I've read from a GM.

RT @JSportsnet: Message from one NHL Governor..."If Mario would like to change the game, maybe he should show up at the meetings."

RT @DownGoesBrown: Best-case scenario: Next time Cooke tries to end a career, league suspends him for 80 games and cites Lemieux's statement. Everyone's happy.
I like him pretty well, but after reading his defense of Cooke, I think he's pretty much lost all credibility on this issue.

The argument that "Cooke is a decent NHLer, therefore he should be able to get away with this stuff" is just pure crap.

Old
02-13-2011, 08:38 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

It is, but issue is that for even for Matt Cooke and the crap he gets away with...no one ever makes him pay for it. Shawn Thornton challenged him, and Cooke wouldn't remove his visor. If there really is the vigor and disgust for him, there comes a point where someone just jumps him - he doesn't get a choice, or maybe even a chance to defend himself. It sounds like an endorsement for pugilism on my part, but people have been saying "he's gonna get it" for years and next to nothing has happened. If the league won't do anything, someone else should.

Old
02-13-2011, 09:11 PM
FlyHigh

Quote:
It is, but issue is that for even for Matt Cooke and the crap he gets away with...no one ever makes him pay for it. Shawn Thornton challenged him, and Cooke wouldn't remove his visor. If there really is the vigor and disgust for him, there comes a point where someone just jumps him - he doesn't get a choice, or maybe even a chance to defend himself. It sounds like an endorsement for pugilism on my part, but people have been saying "he's gonna get it" for years and next to nothing has happened. If the league won't do anything, someone else should.
Yeah, this also runs true for guys like Ott and Avery.

The sad thing too is that if anybody Bertuzzis Cooke (and I wouldn't condone it, but I don't think I'd be very upset), the outrage from Pens fans and from Mario is going to be long and loud.

I mean, look at the rage and crying over Talbot getting tackled, can you imagine if somebody had really actually gone after him?

For me anyways, this is just one of the more extreme cases of the pot calling the kettle black. We all know what the Pens are, if there's one thing that's interesting, it's how solidly every other fanbase is on the anti-Pens side and I really don't think that all stems from Crosby-hate.

I actually thought a lot of Pens came off really well on 24/7, but my opinion on that team has done nothing but drop since that series ended and it seems like a lot of other people feel the same way.

Old
02-13-2011, 09:45 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Yeah, this also runs true for guys like Ott and Avery.

The sad thing too is that if anybody Bertuzzis Cooke (and I wouldn't condone it, but I don't think I'd be very upset), the outrage from Pens fans and from Mario is going to be long and loud.
I remember when Kaleta got hurt last year maybe, I think it was because of some kind of questionable hit. Anyways that was sort of the feeling. Yeah it was kind of malicious, but no one was outraged because it was Kaleta.

On the lighter side of hockey:

RT @BizNasty2point0: WTF. http://yfrog.com/h2imdxzj

Old
02-13-2011, 09:52 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Doof Warrior

Quote:
Yeah, Malkin is the underrated one there, he's gotten away with more than a few borderline plays since he's come into the league.

I already ranted about it yesterday, but that entire organization is just sickening. I mean, the more you read and hear, you realize that Crosby isn't really that bad compared to the rest and let's remember that Crosby has jumped guys from behind and also off FOs.

I mean, this team employs Matt Cooke, leads the league in fighting majors, had a player hop off the bench, and is now complaining about "sideshows" and "conduct detrimental to the game."

W. T. F.
Three incidents really stand out in my head:

1) Playoffs against us, final game. Barely behind the play, but right NEXT to a ref, Malkin tackles Hartnell and punches him in the head a few times. This is allowed, and never even reviewed, despite being on national TV

2) Winter Classic: Malkin takes a clean hit. As he is known to do, he flips his lid and takes a retaliation for it. Not even 5 seconds later, he trips the crap out of a Cap. Just slashed him right in the skates, and dove to do it. I thought he'd be gone for a double...nope.

3) Game 7 against Montreal, opening faceoff: Crosby jumps a Montreal defenseman, I forget who. It led to a PP for Montreal, and a goal about 17 seconds in. That was just the icing on the cake; half the Pens team, once Montreal gave them trouble in that series, acted like a crowd of babys with a bad rash.

So when I read Mario's little sermon, all I could think was "are you serious? Is this a joke?"

edit: Oh, and for years I have considered Lemieux to be the one saving grace in that organization. He's the one guy I really respected there. This isn't helping that, at all.

Last edited by Beef Invictus: 02-13-2011 at 10:00 PM.
Old
02-13-2011, 10:19 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

I can see where Lemieux wants to defend his team, but in all honestly I think he's the last guy everyone wanted to hear from, which is saying something because Wayne Gretzky has a mic in his face about every little thing. Mario hasn't figured out that it's different when he speaks as an owner.

Old
02-13-2011, 11:45 PM
GoneFullHextall
RIP Andy B.

vCash: 50
Quote:
Just seen Lemieux's statement.

Doesn't carry a single bit of legitimacy considering that he employs somebody who attempts to injury other players on a regular basis.

Really, the Penguins' words since that game are such a pile of crap... YOU HAVE MATT COOKE ON YOUR TEAM.
some of the ways the Pens fans go about defending Matt Cooke on the main board is beyond hypocritical. I know we have fans of our team who sometimes go there, but I am sorry they take it to a new level of stupidity.
Mario really needs to ****. You have the modern day Ulf Samuelsson(who i hated every single minute he was in our organization btw) on your hockey club.

Old
02-13-2011, 11:48 PM
Jester

Lemieux has ALWAYS been a whiny brat. He was as a player... now he's one as an owner. Such is life.

Old
02-14-2011, 05:25 AM
chaosof99*

I just posted the following on the main board and since I know a lot of people here perhaps correctly avoid that place like the plague, I should repost it here:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaosof99 View Post
I still have a hard time figuring out the reasons for Lemieux's comments. What did he think he would accomplish with them? The NHL already levied a hefty fine to the Islanders and handed lengthy suspensions to the prime instigators of the altercations.

Lemieux is of course right about the conduct from Friday being unacceptable, but what does he expect the League to have done otherwise? How exactly did the NHL "fail" in sending a strong and clear message? How was the disciplinary action taken meaningless? How were the actions of friday at all tolerated?

The only thing thing Lemieux really did was sound like a spoiled brat by basically threatening to take his toys and go home.

He also exposed himself as a hypocrite on two fronts at once. The first is him being the owner of a team that itself employs a plethora of shady people, goons and other dregs of society. Penguins fans are already sick of hearing the name Matt Cooke, but he is essentially a lightning rod distracting from the rest of the Penguins. The Penguins are the most penalized team in the league with the most fighting majors and apparently Mario has no problem with his own team playing physical and punish other teams. The Islanders players definitely went overboard with the retribution for what they perceived as wrongdoings at the hands of the Penguins in previous games, but it isn't exactly far removed from what the Penguins have done this season either.

Penguins fans also don't seem to get that when other fans rightfully point out that Lemieux is only speaking up because his own team was involved, that makes him a hypocrite too. They say "it wouldn't be his place to speak up if his team wasn't involved", but why exactly is that when he's complaining about the overall state of hockey? And how exactly does such a complaint become more valid due to the teams involvement?

I also heard the argument that an owner is hardly going to call out his own players in public. That is of course true, but the problem is that Mario is basically questioning the quality and the state of the entire game of hockey. If he thinks its desolate, he should recognize the fact that his own team is contributing to that desolate state, and not in a small measure.

The other reason it makes him a hypocrite is the fact that the Penguins are already getting protection from the league in a larger measure than any other team and are being absolved of a lot of wrongdoing for no real reason.

In recent weeks we have seen multiple incidents with Penguins players at the source that could very well have warranted supplementary discipline which was simply rescinded. Jordan Staal suckerpunched Brandon Prust and got a match penalty for it. TSN says there should have been an automatic 1 game suspension that was rescinded, and even if it isn't automatic, and despite Prust embellishing as that has no effect on the actions taken by Staal, there should have been supplementary discipline as we've seen for Shelley and Eager this same season.

Another incident includes Matt Cooke kneeing Ovechkin. I've seen multiple Penguins fans trying to excuse it a la "Ovechkin does similar stuff, so it's okay" which is pretty much the crown of hypocrisy. But nonetheless, I found Cooke's conduct in that situation to be very intentional and could have at least warranted a 1 game suspension, especially considering Cooke's history. The interesting part about that is that a 1 game suspension would have also prevented the Tyutin incident from happening.

And even from Friday's game we can see the apparent protectionism of the Penguins at the hand of the NHL. Godard left the bench to participate in an altercation and while it was made very explicit that he got the 10 game suspension the Rulebook prescribes for it, the $10,000 fine that is supposed to be issued to that players team apparently has been rescinded.

The crown may come later on today, as I have my doubts the NHL will in any way reprimand Lemieux for his comments openly and publicly (and in my opinion completely unwarrantably) criticizing the league in it handling of the supplementary discipline for Friday's game. That would of course be in contradiction to a fine LA Kings GM Dean Lombardi received earlier this season when he also severely league officials.

Again, Lemieux is right about Fridays game being unacceptable, but his statements do not help the situation at all, and only appear to be the ravings of a spoiled child and a hypocrite who thinks he's been wronged.

Old
02-14-2011, 06:33 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Doof Warrior

You won that thread.

Old
02-14-2011, 07:24 AM
mirimon

Yeah, that pretty much sums it up. What Gillies and Haley and the other Islanders did was ridiculous really (I wouldn't have minded if there had been some extra games tacked onto Gillies suspension), but the Pens can't exactly be described as a model franchise when it comes to fair play.

Old
02-14-2011, 07:39 AM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

The only reason I can think about Lemieux doing it that would be smart is he's doing it because the Penguins are fighting key injuries and a slump, so he's trying to get focus off the team and toward himself, aka Chaos's "Lightning Rod."

Otherwise, spot on Chaos.

Also, I understand it was out of hand and agree, but it's funny in the video I posted before to hear the Penguins homer announcers appalled by Islanders' actions. "Why, I never!"

Old
02-14-2011, 08:52 AM
PhillyFlying
F1eyrS

my response to any and all comments by the penguins organization or their upset fans will henceforth be, "Matt Cooke."

Old
02-14-2011, 10:29 AM
MsWoof

Just imagine the trouble any other owner would be in with the league if they made those comments. They'd face a huge fine and a statement condemning them from the league. But since it's the model franchise, they won't comment. Amazing and sickening all at once.

I have been hearing comments on the radio today about the governor sho said Lemieux should come to meetings. Spot on! I also love DGB's comment about giving Cooke An 80 game suspension next time and citing Lemieux's statement.

I'm really hoping this drops the Pens down a notch or two with the league.

Old
02-14-2011, 10:37 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
Just imagine the trouble any other owner would be in with the league if they made those comments. They'd face a huge fine and a statement condemning them from the league. But since it's the model franchise, they won't comment. Amazing and sickening all at once.

I have been hearing comments on the radio today about the governor sho said Lemieux should come to meetings. Spot on! I also love DGB's comment about giving Cooke An 80 game suspension next time and citing Lemieux's statement.

I'm really hoping this drops the Pens down a notch or two with the league.
Yeah, that's what I'm waiting for. Dean Lombardi got a big fine, but at least he apologized (at least went through the charade of apologizing).

Old
02-14-2011, 10:52 AM
Jester

Quote:
Yeah, that's what I'm waiting for. Dean Lombardi got a big fine, but at least he apologized (at least went through the charade of apologizing).
Whether you like what Lemieux said or not, what Lombardi said was orders of magnitude worse.

Old
02-14-2011, 10:56 AM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 2565
via a Colorado Avalanche press release,

Colorado Avalanche forward Peter Forsberg will hold a press conference today (Monday, February 14) at 2:30 p.m MT. at Pepsi Center.

At that time, he will announce his retirement from the game of hockey.

Old
02-14-2011, 11:04 AM
Opus
Boondoggle

vCash: 875
With all do respect, hopefully this is the last we hear from Forsberg (as a player)...at least until he's inducted into the HOF.

He did his best, he made the effort...time to move on.

Closed Thread