HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

With recent events, is Kovalev out of the picture?

Closed Thread

Old
06-27-2004, 06:40 AM
Habsaholic

vCash: 500
With recent events, is Kovalev out of the picture?

Man, I would hate to see that. He has the ability to win games singlehandedly. I do not see that with Bonk. Plus $3.5m?????? Geez, Bob, have you hit the liquor cabinet once too many times b4 draft day??? There has to be other trades in the works that we do not know of. If not, I am not happy!

Old
06-27-2004, 07:06 AM
Rather Gingerly 1*

Bonk does seem to signalifly the end of Kovalev in Montreal. I would rather have pursued Kovalev harder and kept Garon. I am not sure at this point how good Garon can become. Given his limited opportunity playing Theodore.

Bonk is decent but 3.5 million for a 12 goal scorer???

Old
06-27-2004, 07:09 AM
velimiiro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rather Gingerly 1
Bonk does seem to signalifly the end of Kovalev in Montreal. I would rather have pursued Kovalev harder and kept Garon. I am not sure at this point how good Garon can become. Given his limited opportunity playing Theodore.

Huet is really good guys... you're going to love his style...

Here's how i look at the Kovalev situation... if he signs i love him, if he doesn't i HATE him, we friggin gave up BALEJ to get this mother*****er! SCREW YOU AND DIE KOVALEV!!!!! UGH!!!!!!! U PISS ME OFF!!!!!!!!

Btw Bonk fills a huge need, esp after Juneau's retirement. We get a big 6ft3 C with strong 2-way play who is a huge upgrade on the 3rd line. He's a very capable 20 goal scorer don't worry about it... i think he's going to love montreal, same for Huet.. after all he's from france, and mtl = mostly french

Old
06-27-2004, 07:10 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Gainey says we can afford both, read it over on the trade rumors board.

Old
06-27-2004, 07:11 AM
BLONG7

Quote:

What about Kovalev at 6.6 Million, and he scored what 13-14???? Bonk brings size, offense and can play in his own end. The swap of backup goalies is just that... good trade by BG in my mind.

Old
06-27-2004, 07:26 AM
HabsBaby18*

Quote:

your underrating Huet ... Huet is a good goaltender , he is not a shi_tty #2 goaltender. When I saw that montréal had Huet also in the deal , I was so happy ... he will be an awesome backup IMO.

Garon would have done nothing , abosolutely nothing with us and there is no guarantee that he will explode with LA this years or in 2-3 years to come. Yes he has great potential , but with all the prospect we have and one of the best goaltender in Théodore , we do not loose alot.

We can't keep everybody , we have to improve in some ways !

Old
06-27-2004, 07:50 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsBaby18
your underrating Huet ... Huet is a good goaltender , he is not a shi_tty #2 goaltender. When I saw that montréal had Huet also in the deal , I was so happy ... he will be an awesome backup IMO.

Garon would have done nothing , abosolutely nothing with us and there is no guarantee that he will explode with LA this years or in 2-3 years to come. Yes he has great potential , but with all the prospect we have and one of the best goaltender in Théodore , we do not loose alot.

We can't keep everybody , we have to improve in some ways !

Maybe your overrating Huet. He's not as skilled as Garon imo.

Old
06-27-2004, 08:03 AM
HabsBaby18*

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal
I did not say that he was as skilled as Garon... For sure Garon is more skilled , no doubt about that , but with Théo , there was no space for him. I said that Huet wasn't a shi_tty #2 goaltender , he is IMO a good backup for a team. Garon has a realistic shot at being #1 ... but no 100 % guaranteed that he will explode ... Even if he become a good #1 goaltender , he would have done nothing in Montreal , so for me that's why I am happy about that trade. We receive sized with bonk and we receive a good #2 , not as skilled as Garon , but he can do a fair job !.

A good backup and a big center for a goaltender that wasn't playing alot for us , that's sound realistically fair for us and good for LA situation

Last edited by HabsBaby18: 06-27-2004 at 08:16 AM.
Old
06-27-2004, 08:07 AM
mcphee

They needed Huet to replace Q's wine expertise. With young players on the team, how would it look in a restaurant if they couldn't navigate thru a winelist. If this sounds like stereotyping, you're listening well.

Old
06-27-2004, 08:08 AM
HabsBaby18*

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee
They needed Huet to replace Q's wine expertise. With young players on the team, how would it look in a restaurant if they couldn't navigate thru a winelist. If this sounds like stereotyping, you're listening well.

loll

Old
06-27-2004, 08:14 AM
velimiiro

Huet has a unique style... i think he will become perhaps a fan favorite or at the least a very well liked player

Old
06-27-2004, 08:16 AM
CrAzYNiNe

Send a message via MSN to CrAzYNiNe
Another funny thread about a player we get is worthless. What do people want here? You complain we are too small, we get a big 6 foot 3 220 player and some don't want him. What do you people want?

Old
06-27-2004, 08:28 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
I did not say that he was as skilled as Garon... For sure Garon is more skilled , no doubt about that , but with Théo , there was no space for him. I said that Huet wasn't a shi_tty #2 goaltender , he is IMO a good backup for a team. Garon has a realistic shot at being #1 ... but no 100 % guaranteed that he will explode ... Even if he become a good #1 goaltender , he would have done nothing in Montreal , so for me that's why I am happy about that trade. We receive sized with bonk and we receive a good #2 , not as skilled as Garon , but he can do a fair job !.

A good backup and a big center for a goaltender that wasn't playing alot for us , that's sound realistically fair for us and good for LA situation

So basiclly if Theo gets hurt or goes in a funk, we are in big trouble.

Old
06-27-2004, 08:29 AM
velimiiro

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY_NiNe
Another funny thread about a player we get is worthless. What do people want here? You complain we are too small, we get a big 6 foot 3 220 player and some don't want him. What do you people want?
Lmfao.. so true

Old
06-27-2004, 08:30 AM
velimiiro

Quote:
When Cechmanek was injured 2 years ago Huet stepped up and played like a #1.. put up some very respectable numbers

Old
06-27-2004, 08:41 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by velimiiro
When Cechmanek was injured 2 years ago Huet stepped up and played like a #1.. put up some very respectable numbers

Those numbers weren't that good. 2.4 gaa .904 save % off the top of my head.

Old
06-27-2004, 09:38 AM
electric

Quote:
Back in the day, those were amazing numbers...

Old
06-27-2004, 09:39 AM
electric

Quote:
Gainey says we can afford both, read it over on the trade rumors board.
Well it's up to Gillet, not Gainey...

Come on, Georgie George... take out the wallet, puh-lease!

Old
06-27-2004, 11:18 AM
fufonzo

Send a message via ICQ to fufonzo Send a message via MSN to fufonzo
Complaining

I love how people love to complain.

Remember when we got Bégin? "The guy's too small.", "We already have enough 4th liners", "what a useless move by Gainey". Now everybody loves him.

Same thing for Dowd. Everyone was complaining that he was old and a no-name and that he couldn't possibly serve a purpose on the team. And then he stepped it up and played fantastic.

And then there's Kovalev. Everyone was whining after the end of regular season saying how brutal of a trade it was. Then after the playoffs played through, he was a God.

So far, all the deals Gainey has done, have worked out for us when most people thought it was a bad deal from the start.

At first, I thought we got jipped, but now the more I think of it, the more I think this will help us. No matter how good a backup is, he's next to useless if he only plays 20 games/year. Going from a fantastic backup to a good backup is not that big of a fallback. Plus we have Danis coming up too. Although I havent followed Bonk very closely in the past couple years, he has put up some impressive numbers in the past. If he puts up 45 points regularly and plays a solid defensive game for us, I'll be happy. He's also still fairly young and about to hit his prime.

We could have a very good lineup if Kovy re-signs.

Mine would look like this.

Zed-Koivu-Kovy - We've seen what they can do
Ryder-Ribs-Higgins/Hossa - young line with good firepower
Bulis-Bonk-Sunny - all three are great defensively but can produce offensively
Begin-Pleks-Ward -fantastic 4th line with tons of heart

Souray-Markov
Komi-Breezeby
Hainsey-Rivet
Bouillon

Theo
Huet

We still have a young team with room for three rookies in the lineup. I'm pretty optimistic about the coming years. I smell Stanley.

Old
06-27-2004, 12:01 PM
BLONG7

Quote:
Kinda like Ottawa,Leafs,Devils,Flyers the list goes on, every team is in trouble if their #1 goalie goes down... Huet may not be as good as
garon, but we now have Bonk!

Old
06-27-2004, 12:09 PM
Malakhov

Send a message via MSN to Malakhov
Quote:
Like most of the teams with a true #1 goalie. Habs fans and the Montreal media have this strange fascination of wanting 2 #1 goalies that you won't find elsewhere.

Old
06-27-2004, 12:18 PM
Catala

Send a message via MSN to Catala
Quote:
I used to follow Huet last the 2 last years. Kings fans prefered him at Cechmanek. he won't be the next Roy, but is a very decnt goaltender and a top back up in the league. Will only be that though.

Old
06-27-2004, 12:25 PM
Catala

Send a message via MSN to Catala
Quote:
Garon's potential is so much bigger i agree... But we can't have 2 #1 Goalies. It s time to put our priorities in order. Do we keep 2 #1 Goaly (same age, whith one that won t play that much?) or the big center we needed badly and replace the second potential #1 goaly by a solid back up?

Old
06-27-2004, 12:48 PM
markov`

Quote:

Fair enough.

Old
06-27-2004, 12:57 PM
Howie Morenz

Today's sports section in the Toronto Star has Gainey saying they have enough money left for Kovalev and may try to get a deal done before July 1st. Just passing this on.

Closed Thread