HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > NHL Draft - Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

NHL Draft - Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

LW Hunter Shinkaruk (2013, 24th, VAN; 2016 traded, CGY)

Old
07-01-2013, 02:14 AM
Virtanen2Horvat
BoHorvat53

vCash: 589
He is 19 not 16 but anyways I can't wait to see this guy hopefully play the wing in Vancouver in the next year or two with Horvat.

Virtanen2Horvat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 02:51 AM
Moskau

vCash: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by boredmale View Post
I am curious myself. I heard the stories about terrible interviews but an interview can't drop somebody that far can they?

I hope he pans out and everybody learns the lesson about putting much stock into the interview process
The combine is 10% physical performance and 90% how well your interview goes. It's THAT important and it blows my mind that kids still bomb it as often as they do. You would think their agents would have versed them well enough to just lie through their teeth if they have to.

His numbers went nowhere after Etem left showing that he couldn't pick up some of the load left behind and I'm sure that didn't help. Being a complete perimeter player doesn't help as well. He's not a big guy but he isn't that small either. He's 3" taller and almost 30lbs heavier than Tyler Ennis was and Ennis didn't shy away from going through the center of the ice and to the net.

No clue how badly he did in the interviews for all we know it could be BS but if he if he really is as ******* as people say it's not a shock Vancouver took him. He could be like a son to Mike Gillis.

Moskau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 02:54 AM
Chris McKinlay

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moskau View Post
The combine is 10% physical performance and 90% how well your interview goes. It's THAT important and it blows my mind that kids still bomb it as often as they do. You would think their agents would have versed them well enough to just lie through their teeth if they have to.

His numbers went nowhere after Etem left showing that he couldn't pick up some of the load left behind and I'm sure that didn't help. Being a complete perimeter player doesn't help as well. He's not a big guy but he isn't that small either. He's 3" taller and almost 30lbs heavier than Tyler Ennis was and Ennis didn't shy away from going through the center of the ice and to the net.

No clue how badly he did in the interviews for all we know it could be BS but if he if he really is as ******* as people say it's not a shock Vancouver took him. He could be like a son to Mike Gillis.
Valeri Nichushkin pretty much failed at both. Nice try.

Chris McKinlay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 02:55 AM
just22
bum

Quote:
I don't want to judge a player based on how he reacts after he scores a goal, but if you watch some Shinkaruk highlights, the way he stares up into the lights after he scores, even if it's 5-0, I dunno, seems kind of ******* to me.

But ******* shouldn't be a reason to drop like he did. He's got top 10 offensive talent and has plenty of drive.

just22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 03:10 AM
The Nuge
Global Moderator
Some Say...

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nash View Post
Typical. Pre draft this guy is loved...falls to Canucks and now the reason is attitude issues. Lets ignore all the great articles posted above about him or the fact he was named team captain and his coach raves about. Couldn't be happier with this pick. Could see him actually cracking the roster this year.
Look a little closer. There were a lot of us that didn't like him pre draft. I was hoping Calgary would take him. He's Schremp v2

07-01-2013, 03:11 AM
K2B
dim jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nuge View Post
Look a little closer. There were a lot of us that didn't like him pre draft. I was hoping Calgary would take him. He's Schremp v2
What are you talking about? Schremp and Shinkaruk are no way shape or form similar players.

K2B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 03:20 AM
The Nuge
Global Moderator
Some Say...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kesler2Burrows View Post
What are you talking about? Schremp and Shinkaruk are no way shape or form similar players.
Small, flashy, easy to push around, scored lots in jr, fell in the draft, etc

The Nuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 04:09 AM
Pip
[hello] :)

If he is a ******, he is a ******. Oftentimes that kind of attitude will change as he matures. If he is not well liked by his teammates or coaches that is another thing altogether. Of course there are going to be question marks with any player drafted late in the first round, but I love Hunter's upside am excited to see him progress through our system

Pip is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 07:29 AM
Fleury14
Remember the Kipper

I think he was likely overscouted, he's been playing in the WHL for a while and very productive for his age each season. Definitely a bit of reminiscent of Skinner without the ridiculous balance, although he has good balance/low center of gravity himself.

If Tortorella hadn't been hired by the Canucks, I'd imagine he would have had a decent chance of sticking in the NHL next year. But considering Tort's emphasis on his forwards playing hard-nosed D, he'll probably be stuck in the WHL for at least another year.

Fleury14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 07:46 AM
Nullus Reverentia

As others have said, it's him playing like Skinner but not having the mitigating factors that allow his size not to be a problem.

If he had really bad interviews, he would have dropped way down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco Fingerhat View Post
Valeri Nichushkin pretty much failed at both. Nice try.
Reports out of Dallas suggest interviews with Nichushkin went very well.

Nullus Reverentia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 10:08 AM
Nash

Quote:
What a horrible comparable. Schremp had sick hands, but his skating wasn't good enough and his bag of tricks didn't translate to the NHL. Everything I've seen with Hunter tells me skating isn't an issue. People compare him to Skinner...one of the best all around skaters in the NHL.

Nash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 10:12 AM
Love
Fire Benning

Quote:
What a horrible comparable. Schremp had sick hands, but his skating wasn't good enough and his bag of tricks didn't translate to the NHL. Everything I've seen with Hunter tells me skating isn't an issue. People compare him to Skinner...one of the best all around skaters in the NHL.
Yes his skating is arguably his greatest asset.

And Shink isnt just skill guy, he is a relentless offensive player. His drive to score is something we havent seen in Van in a long time. Combine that with solid forechecking and you've got a really nice prospect. I think his body needs some time to mature, but that'll come.

Love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 10:27 AM
canucksfan100

Shinkaruk is ridiculous talent, has a great drive and great wheels. Reminds me of Jeff Skinner alot.

canucksfan100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 10:50 AM
PumpkinBomb

Shinkaruk fell because teams think he's unwilling to work on his game. In interviews, when asked what he needed to work on, the teams didnt like the answer he gave. Also, he did not react to criticism well in the interviews. Teams often say to players things like: "one of our scouts called you a perimeter player, what's your response to that?"

That is why Schremp never made a dent in the nhl, because he was unwilling to work on the areas of the game that he needed to. The criticism of Shinkaruk (not saying if its right) is the same

PumpkinBomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 12:37 PM
skg

Jordan Schroeder did poorly in interviews and that combined with his size, dropped him in 2009. A couple of years in the minors and you'd be hard pressed to question his attitude and professionalism.

Same thing with Phil Kessel. IIRC, Gare Joyce said he interviewed poorly. I doubt you find a team who wouldn't want him in their lineup.

Interviews are overrated. If a kid has skills, you don't discount him because he comes across as shy or awkward in interviews.

skg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 12:40 PM
Analyzer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent007 View Post
So any idea why he dropped so far?
Size and that his production dipped.

Those are my guesses from the comments about him being a jackass.

Analyzer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 12:58 PM
Lucbourdon
Kefka cheers for Van

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiCKNESS View Post
Shinkaruk is ridiculous talent, has a great drive and great wheels. Reminds me of Jeff Skinner alot.
Good comparison.

lol @ schremp, the guy had AMAZING hands, and nothing else.
No speed, no hockey sense, no puck awareness, could not play defense, he was a train wreck.

Lucbourdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 02:47 PM
The Nuge
Global Moderator
Some Say...

Quote:
From everything I've seen, Shinkaruk lacks that top end speed that makes a guy like Kessel successful. He tries to do a bunch of fancy fakes at slower speeds, and it just doesn't work. If he can develop an extra gear, I can see him being successful

The Nuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 03:07 PM
canucksfan100

Quote:
From everything I've seen, Shinkaruk lacks that top end speed that makes a guy like Kessel successful. He tries to do a bunch of fancy fakes at slower speeds, and it just doesn't work. If he can develop an extra gear, I can see him being successful
lol His Skating is probably his best asset along with his hands and shot. Need to bulk up and work on defensive play though.

canucksfan100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 03:28 PM
CanaFan

No player who is available in the latter third of the first round will be without any warts. Sometimes it is skating, sometimes it is size, sometimes it is low offensive upside. The good news with Shinkaruk is, outside of needing to build up his strength - something an NHL team should be of great help in doing - he has all of the physical assets you could ask for outside of size. His skating, balance, hands, shot, and vision are all considered at the top end of the draft. If he has so-called "attitude problems" then it will be upon him to grow and mature as he progresses through junior to the AHL to the NHL. No prospect is a slam dunk (except McKinnon maybe) but IMO the things that caused Hunter to drop are eminently "fixable". And that is all we can ask for from a pick at the 24 spot.

Oh and the Schremp comparison is awful. The guy was a marginal skater at best and, combined with a questionable attitude, simply had no place in the NHL outside of shoot-outs.

CanaFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 03:44 PM
Love
Fire Benning

Quote:
His best asset is his skating.

Love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 03:51 PM
Feintastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiCKNESS View Post
lol His Skating is probably his best asset along with his hands and shot. Need to bulk up and work on defensive play though.
Keep talking. I bet u never saw him play a whole game. Too many super fans I hate it.

People talk...all they watched is the prospect's highlights and read some **** ''experts'' said

Feintastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 04:01 PM
RSeen

Most Devils fans wanted him at 9 and thought he was going there too.

RSeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 04:07 PM
arsmaster*
semantic romantic

Quote:

Hunter plays in the middle of the ice. You get much views in Western New York?

Go figure his production goes down, when his linemate is downgraded from 50 goal NHL 1st round pick, to undrafted overage player.

My favourite part is that people are actually knocking his production without Etem, and it really only equated to 5 less points in 2 less games with less talent around him.

He went from 1.37ppg all the way down to 1.34ppg.

arsmaster* is offline   Reply With Quote