HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

LW Hunter Shinkaruk - Medicine Hat Tigers, WHL (2013, 24th overall, Vancouver)

Old
07-01-2013, 05:59 PM
bsmith14

vCash: 500
Personally I think he is a great player and was a really good pick at that spot. He will be on Canada's top line at the WJC

bsmith14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 06:00 PM
ThereGoesVirtanen
Right through you.

This guy is going to be such a steal. Totally reminds me of Phil Kessel.

ThereGoesVirtanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 07:14 PM
CanaFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moskau View Post
The combine is 10% physical performance and 90% how well your interview goes. It's THAT important and it blows my mind that kids still bomb it as often as they do. You would think their agents would have versed them well enough to just lie through their teeth if they have to.

His numbers went nowhere after Etem left showing that he couldn't pick up some of the load left behind and I'm sure that didn't help. Being a complete perimeter player doesn't help as well. He's not a big guy but he isn't that small either. He's 3" taller and almost 30lbs heavier than Tyler Ennis was and Ennis didn't shy away from going through the center of the ice and to the net.

No clue how badly he did in the interviews for all we know it could be BS but if he if he really is as douchey as people say it's not a shock Vancouver took him. He could be like a son to Mike Gillis.

Makes it pretty easy to dismiss your "opinion" when it comes so obviously loaded with bias.

CanaFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 07:17 PM
Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
Hunter plays in the middle of the ice. You get much views in Western New York?

Go figure his production goes down, when his linemate is downgraded from 50 goal NHL 1st round pick, to undrafted overage player.

My favourite part is that people are actually knocking his production without Etem, and it really only equated to 5 less points in 2 less games with less talent around him.

He went from 1.37ppg all the way down to 1.34ppg.
The regression bashing is quite ridiculous. 5 whole points. I saw an article that took his stats "regression" that put him in a class with Brule and other mediocre players...please. You know who regressed about 3 straight years in junior? John Tavares. I'm not about to write a bogus stat mining article boasting comparables like that.

Nash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 07:19 PM
CanaFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nuge View Post
Small, flashy, easy to push around, scored lots in jr, fell in the draft, etc
Truly insightful. What else do they have in common pray tell? Last names that start with 'S'? Same number of fingers and toes? A great-grandparent who fought in the Great War?

I'm not saying Shinkaruk is without his flaws or areas to improve upon but some of the "analysis" here is laughable.

Old
07-01-2013, 07:21 PM
Reinhart

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanaFan View Post
[/B]

Makes it pretty easy to dismiss your "opinion" when it comes so obviously loaded with bias.
There is actually a long history of his attitude problems in the Calgary area with many players on his past teams, and people dealing with him (and his father, apparently).

With that being said, doesn't mean he can't get it together in the Vancouver org. He does have elite offence, but plays mostly a perimeter game. Needs to pack on size. I think he is a bit more of a project, but one that has tremendous upside. There is good reason why so many teams passed on him, but there is also a good reason why he was ranked high and still went in the 1st round.

Will be interesting to see how he develops.

Reinhart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 07:30 PM
HighLifeMan
HFB Partner

Like I mentioned earlier, I think it has less to do with scouts seeing "regression" in his game, and more so to do with the lack of Shinkaruk taking his game to the "next level" during his third year in Junior. Undrafted Curtis Valk stepped and contributed to the Tigers and matched Shinkaruk step for step all season. I am not saying Shinkaruk had a poor season by any means but with his pedigree in the WHL and skill level, its not hard to believe that scouts expected and wanted more out of him.

He has been on a slow and steady decline in the rankings over the past year, and that came to a head on the draft floor. I don't think it was all that surprising to be honest, and in fact many posters around here called such a thing happening.

HighLifeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 07:31 PM
Lawzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDK View Post
This guy is going to be such a steal. Totally reminds me of Phil Kessel.

Oh my lord how can anyone listen to that man call a game?

Can't wait to see him in action, same with Bo. Can't believe we managed to get both with the picks we had, incredible.

Lawzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 07:33 PM
CanaFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhart View Post
There is actually a long history of his attitude problems in the Calgary area with many players on his past teams, and people dealing with him (and his father, apparently).

With that being said, doesn't mean he can't get it together in the Vancouver org. He does have elite offence, but plays mostly a perimeter game. Needs to pack on size. I think he is a bit more of a project, but one that has tremendous upside. There is good reason why so many teams passed on him, but there is also a good reason why he was ranked high and still went in the 1st round.

Will be interesting to see how he develops.
Thanks for sharing some valid insights about Shinkaruk. I am well aware that he has some flaw and things to work on, I mean he wouldn't have fallen to 24 if he didn't. So to hear some of those concerns expressed objectively (as you've done) is very interesting to read. My issue is with posters who use it as an excuse to further their obviously anti-Canuck agenda. I'm no Oiler or Flame fan either, but I see no need to bring that into a thread about a junior player. Save that for game threads, etc.

Old
07-01-2013, 07:36 PM
Patchey*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feintastic View Post
Keep talking. I bet u never saw him play a whole game. Too many super fans I hate it.

People talk...all they watched is the prospect's highlights and read some **** ''experts'' said
Are you blind?

Patchey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 07:41 PM
Slapshot_11

Did he help out with the flooding in Calgary? I thought I heard that somewhere

Slapshot_11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 11:46 PM
keslerburrows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slapshot_11 View Post
Yes he did.

keslerburrows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 12:55 AM
Lucbourdon
Kefka cheers for Van

http://www.calgaryherald.com/sports/...323/story.html

Quote:
“He puts everybody else ahead of himself,” said Fagerheim, a close friend of Shinkaruk and former minor-hockey teammate. “He doesn’t talk about himself and he understands the game, but he also understands about team work.

Read more: http://www.theprovince.com/sports/Ca...#ixzz2XrRJ5A1l
Quote:
“The floods happened so quickly and were so devastating, and we felt so fortunate that we weren’t affected, that Hunter wanted us to help out. And our parents were helping by cooking for those people who were affected and still had to work.”

Read more: http://www.theprovince.com/sports/Ca...#ixzz2XrRCBrFN
Quote:
It puts everything into perspective,” said Shinkaruk. “A natural disaster … can really take a lot from you and I wanted to volunteer. People were devastated and if my family had been affected, I know other people would have helped us. I’m just happy the people of Calgary really came together.”

Read more: http://www.theprovince.com/sports/Ca...#ixzz2XrREhqfs

Lucbourdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 05:47 AM
rgb63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slapshot_11 View Post
Great PR opportunity

rgb63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 05:54 AM
maroon 6
Live and let live

vCash: 50
The same problems were said for Jordan Schroeder no? Sure don't hear about them no more.

maroon 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 06:19 PM
MrWangz

haha this is awesome. He's loved so hard before canucks pick him.

Embrace the hate!

MrWangz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2013, 02:42 AM
Virtanen2Horvat
Radim Vrbata #17

vCash: 647
Hunter Shinkaruk

Alright I have not seen too much talk about Shinkaruk on here. (To the statement: HAPPY NOW?)

What I have to say is do you think Shinkaruk can play at NHL level with Horvat if they both get a shot. IMO I really want to see what these two can do together, but only a few games I would not play them the whole year let them develop on their junior teams.

Last edited by Virtanen2Horvat: 07-31-2013 at 04:45 AM.
Virtanen2Horvat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2013, 02:45 AM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

vCash: 1379
Shinkaruk better have some serious character issues to have that many teams pass him up. Should have been a top-10 pick and has tons of skill.

TheJuxtaposer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2013, 02:48 AM
Leidi J

His thread is right here: http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...d.php?t=869787

Leidi J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2013, 02:49 AM
PhilaFlyers

I know it's a highlight tape but he looks pretty ****ing good in this

I'm excited to see how he develops.

PhilaFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2013, 02:49 AM
Virtanen2Horvat
Radim Vrbata #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer View Post
Shinkaruk better have some serious character issues to have that many teams pass him up. Should have been a top-10 pick and has tons of skill.
Yeah I heard something about his attitude, I hope its not true but hey if he is a problem Torts will fix him up He looks like a great kid I think he will be fine.

Old
07-31-2013, 02:50 AM
Virtanen2Horvat
Radim Vrbata #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigPAVELSKI View Post
Alright this can just be a update so he is closer to Horvat

Old
07-31-2013, 03:19 AM
BiggestLeafsFanEVER*
GO LEAFS GO

my friend played with him on the royals and didn't really say anything bad about him. i guess his dad is pretty intense but so are a lot of guys dads and that's not hunter's fault.

i know a couple of guys playing major junior in the WHL and was asking them about the players and neither said anything really bad about hunter's character but maybe they don't know because they're not on that team.

i saw him play live in a couple of games the last two years when i was visiting out west and i thought he looked good. he's not very big but he stayed on the puck really well. the one thing i don't get is how people say he is a really great skater he had good mobility and everything but i didn't find him overly fast when i saw him and i would think for a smaller guy he would use the ice better than he did. maybe it was just those games i say him. i've seen him on tv as well but of course it's harder to assess a full game.

BiggestLeafsFanEVER* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2013, 03:40 AM
HighLifeMan
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by canucksrool View Post
Alright I have not seen too much talk about Shinkaruk on here. But anyways he could have been drafted by Calgary at 6th but they chose Monohan which is not a bad pick IMO.

What I have to say is do you think Shinkaruk can play at NHL level with Horvat if they both get a shot. IMO I really want to see what these two can do together, but only a few games I would not play them the whole year let them develop on their junior teams.
What point are you trying to make with that statement?
Hunter Shinkaruk was not even in the discussion to go 6th overall to Calgary.

HighLifeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2013, 03:47 AM
Money Baer
Unsustainable

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by canucksrool View Post
Alright I have not seen too much talk about Shinkaruk on here. But anyways he could have been drafted by Calgary at 6th but they chose Monohan which is not a bad pick IMO.

Such a stupid statement... Why single out Calgary? (Also, with your logic applied, why didn't the nucks pick him at 9th?) He was passed over 23 times before being selected. I'm sure thats not just a coincidence.

Calgary didn't want him at their first two positions and neither did other teams picking before you guys at 24.

You got a great prospect at 24 and I'm sure he'll develop into a nice scoring winger in the future.

Money Baer is online now   Reply With Quote