HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Notices

Gudbranson suspended indefinitely UPDATE: 8 games

Old
01-27-2011, 07:32 PM
KWGoon

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haj View Post
I agree with vicious out of control defense men. If we are going to lose at least give Mike Richards a concussion.
This. THIS. THIS!!!!!!

Other random thoughts:

PDB would sit Guds for being too aggresive if he didn't get a suspension.

Hearing the names Mike Richards and Pete DeBoer in the same sentence makes my blood boil, and wish for revenge that I know will not happen as long as PDB is the coach.

KWGoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 09:27 PM
adam graves
Panthers 17yr sth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haj View Post
I agree with vicious out of control defense men. If we are going to lose at least give Mike Richards a concussion.

adam graves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2011, 06:52 AM
Acadmus

It's a head shot and leagues are cracking down on that - but then again, the run on the goalie was also a head shot and that player only got 5 games for that. So if Guds gets more than 8 games it would be an imbalance in justice. I can accept three extra games for it being his second offense, but the facts of the situation don't warrant more - no one got injured this time, and an 8-game suspension forcing him to sit and watch his team get shallacked every night because he's their only real chance to win any given night should be enough punishment.

You watch - they'll make an example of him and give him 20. Or more. Was the kid he hit the son of one of the CHL commissioners?

01-28-2011, 02:13 PM
Sidney the Kidney
All zee Germans!

vCash: 80
It looks like it's official. Erik Gudbranson gets 8 games. He's eligible to return February 17th.

Source: Official OHL site

That's what I predicted he'd get, when I posted about it in the prospects thread.

Mods, maybe you can add the actual games to the topic title?

Sidney the Kidney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2011, 02:56 PM
Slick Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWGoon View Post
This. THIS. THIS!!!!!!

Other random thoughts:

PDB would sit Guds for being too aggresive if he didn't get a suspension.

Hearing the names Mike Richards and Pete DeBoer in the same sentence makes my blood boil, and wish for revenge that I know will not happen as long as PDB is the coach.
Ain't that the truth on both accounts!!!

Slick Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2011, 03:00 PM
Slick Cat

Gotta love this kid, mainly because he is so UNPANTHER like. Debouer will not know what to do with him.

Not happy listening to santos and tallon and how he needs more time. Translation: we don't want to pay him and lose a year of his rights.

Not the way to run an organization. Not far to the fans and not fair to him. he would have made a difference this year. Let's just keep pissing him off so he doesn't sign at all. Is that the plan?

Old
01-28-2011, 03:05 PM
billysbreakdown

vCash: 235
This kid is NASTY.

Love it.

billysbreakdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2011, 03:17 PM
Coolburn

Send a message via AIM to Coolburn Send a message via MSN to Coolburn Send a message via Yahoo to Coolburn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick Cat View Post
Gotta love this kid, mainly because he is so UNPANTHER like. Debouer will not know what to do with him.

Not happy listening to santos and tallon and how he needs more time. Translation: we don't want to pay him and lose a year of his rights.

Not the way to run an organization. Not far to the fans and not fair to him. he would have made a difference this year. Let's just keep pissing him off so he doesn't sign at all. Is that the plan?
But both Tallon and Santos were right. He benefitted from playing an extra yr in juniors, particularly at the WJC. He's developed his offensive side a bit more. All its done is guarantee that he'll get the money his agent wanted before the season. I see nothing wrong with what Tallon was basically saying...you want the big contract, prove it to us that you deserve it first. If only past GMs had thought that way, the Panthers wouldnt be stuck with the albatross contract of Olesz's.

Coolburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2011, 03:56 PM
Fire Julien

vCash: 1340
That hit was a beauty. I'd give a lot to have a guy like Gudbranson on my team.

Fire Julien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2011, 05:56 PM
Slick Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolburn View Post
But both Tallon and Santos were right. He benefitted from playing an extra yr in juniors, particularly at the WJC. He's developed his offensive side a bit more. All its done is guarantee that he'll get the money his agent wanted before the season. I see nothing wrong with what Tallon was basically saying...you want the big contract, prove it to us that you deserve it first. If only past GMs had thought that way, the Panthers wouldnt be stuck with the albatross contract of Olesz's.
apples to oranges. olesz was already in the league for a couple of years when martin, in one of his many blunders, signed him for so long and so much money. Guds would get a rookie cap contract, the money issues are over incentives which we would galdly pay if he produces and the rookie picked below him is looking pretty good for carolina and getting ready for an all star game. I don't think he needed this year in the minors and he definitely does not need another year. i stick to my comment that this is just another way of not paying him and keeping another year of eligibility, long term planning with complete ignorance for winning today. we are in a revolving five year plan that never ends, only restarts with new management

Old
01-28-2011, 10:49 PM
Hip to be Square

You know we could have had anyone not named hall & seguin out of that draft, but I still think tallon made a good pick. This kid doesn't act, look, sound, or play anything like a panther player. And that's exactly what this team needs. All I have to say is that we have prospects who look out for their teammates (gudbranson) and guys who hate losing (markstrom). I'm fine with the suspension. As soon as Gudbranson gets a jersey he is going to help change the culture here. I can't wait.

Hip to be Square is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2011, 10:51 PM
adam graves
Panthers 17yr sth

Quote:
apples to oranges. olesz was already in the league for a couple of years when martin, in one of his many blunders, signed him for so long and so much money. Guds would get a rookie cap contract, the money issues are over incentives which we would galdly pay if he produces and the rookie picked below him is looking pretty good for carolina and getting ready for an all star game. I don't think he needed this year in the minors and he definitely does not need another year. i stick to my comment that this is just another way of not paying him and keeping another year of eligibility, long term planning with complete ignorance for winning today. we are in a revolving five year plan that never ends, only restarts with new management
These are indisputable facts.

adam graves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2011, 11:00 AM
KWGoon

Quote:
You managed to cover most of the important ground with this one.

Panthers' top pick: headed for minor league suspension
Hurricanes' top pick: headed to NHL all-star game

Old
01-29-2011, 11:06 AM
Pantherfan12

That's why I am on board with Pete Deboer being fired at the end of the season. As much positives as I could say about the guy, the one thing bad about him that strikes me the most is how he doesn't use his enforcers/tough guys enough. The Panthers get pushed around way to much and this is something that I blame on Deboer. He doesn't use Hordichuk enough, I'd like to see Duco or Mcardle up on the team to add more toughness, and I can't wait to see Gudbranson on the team next year. My biggest concern with Deboer is that he won't allow Gudbranson to be himself because Deboer doesn't like toughness. I was watching Buffalo vs. Montreal a few weeks ago and the one thing I noticed about that game was that there were tons of hits, a lot of grit and toughness and it made for an exciting game. That's something we are missing and definately need!!

Pantherfan12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2011, 12:00 PM
asleepinthechapel

Quote:

Hindsight: 20/20

asleepinthechapel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2011, 12:02 PM
asleepinthechapel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantherfan12 View Post
That's why I am on board with Pete Deboer being fired at the end of the season. As much positives as I could say about the guy, the one thing bad about him that strikes me the most is how he doesn't use his enforcers/tough guys enough. The Panthers get pushed around way to much and this is something that I blame on Deboer. He doesn't use Hordichuk enough, I'd like to see Duco or Mcardle up on the team to add more toughness, and I can't wait to see Gudbranson on the team next year. My biggest concern with Deboer is that he won't allow Gudbranson to be himself because Deboer doesn't like toughness. I was watching Buffalo vs. Montreal a few weeks ago and the one thing I noticed about that game was that there were tons of hits, a lot of grit and toughness and it made for an exciting game. That's something we are missing and definately need!!
DeBoer doesn't like toughness? Because he refuses to play enforcers for more than five minutes a game just like every other coach?
There is no reason to believe that DB would not let Gudbranson not be himself.
We need players with grit and toughness- it stems from the players, not the coach.

Old
01-29-2011, 12:16 PM
KWGoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by asleepinthechapel View Post
Hindsight: 20/20
Oh c'mon, there are so many recent examples of Panthers passing up on a better guy, there can only be 3 possible explanations: our scouting sucks, or our player development sucks, or both. This year it looks like "player development" deserves to be highlighted for "goat of the year" award.

Old
01-29-2011, 12:27 PM
panthersfan751

Quote:

That really says it all. And Johansen and Burmistrov are also doing well with their respective organizations.

People can mention hindsight all they want, but not since 2006 (Frolik) have we drafted a forward with our first pick in the draft. Considering how weak our top 6 is and has been for years and how few offensive threats we have, I think it was definitely a mistake to spend that many high picks on defensemen the past 5 years. Hopefully Tallon sees that and finally drafts a forward in the top 10.

panthersfan751 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2011, 12:30 PM
asleepinthechapel

Quote:
Oh c'mon, there are so many recent examples of Panthers passing up on a better guy, there can only be 3 possible explanations: our scouting sucks, or our player development sucks, or both. This year it looks like "player development" deserves to be highlighted for "goat of the year" award.
First of all, this was Tallon's first draft.
Secondly, the reigning thought among most at the time of the draft was that Gudbranson would go #3.
You would also have to criticize the scouting services of Columbus, NYI, and Tampa Bay. I guess Boston and Edmonton too since Skinner is outproducing both Seguin and Hall.
So you would have picked Skinner with our pick since God has bestowed upon you an uncanny power to pick the player who will preform best a year after they are drafted? I also assume you believe Skinner's success has nothing to do with the skilled, offensively-minded, fast-paced, team he is playing on. Personally, I believe he is a great fit on the Canes.
Ahahaha, player development has ruined Guds before the season has been completed? You're funny.

Old
01-29-2011, 12:41 PM
Shockley
FloridaPanthersBlog

vCash: 50
Dont get me wrong i cant wait to see guds play in a panthers uniform... but i cant help to wonder what Fowler would of been like here... he was a steal of ANA getting him with their position in the draft.

Shockley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2011, 12:59 PM
FinlandPanther

Quote:
Originally Posted by panthersfan751 View Post
That really says it all. And Johansen and Burmistrov are also doing well with their respective organizations.

People can mention hindsight all they want, but not since 2006 (Frolik) have we drafted a forward with our first pick in the draft. Considering how weak our top 6 is and has been for years and how few offensive threats we have, I think it was definitely a mistake to spend that many high picks on defensemen the past 5 years. Hopefully Tallon sees that and finally drafts a forward in the top 10.
tallon will be drafting a forward this draft. the backend is complete. gudbranson, kulikov, ellerby, petrovic, robak, comrie are the future with gudbranson and kulikov being the most important.

FinlandPanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2011, 01:04 PM
panthersfan751

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinlandPanther View Post
tallon will be drafting a forward this draft. the backend is complete. gudbranson, kulikov, ellerby, petrovic, robak, comrie are the future with gudbranson and kulikov being the most important.
I hope so and I think it would help round out our prospect pool. It seems like there are several good forward prospects, so even if we finish 6-10 and miss Couturier/RNH/Landeskog, we could still get someone like Strome or Huberdeau.

panthersfan751 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2011, 01:24 PM
KWGoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by asleepinthechapel View Post
First of all, this was Tallon's first draft.
Secondly, the reigning thought among most at the time of the draft was that Gudbranson would go #3.
You would also have to criticize the scouting services of Columbus, NYI, and Tampa Bay. I guess Boston and Edmonton too since Skinner is outproducing both Seguin and Hall.
So you would have picked Skinner with our pick since God has bestowed upon you an uncanny power to pick the player who will preform best a year after they are drafted? I also assume you believe Skinner's success has nothing to do with the skilled, offensively-minded, fast-paced, team he is playing on. Personally, I believe he is a great fit on the Canes.
Ahahaha, player development has ruined Guds before the season has been completed? You're funny.
You only understood 25% of what I said. I'll clarify: I wasn't blaming DT or scouting. They chose the right guy at #3 and probably many right guys after that. DT has a system that makes decision making a higher percentage play.

The part you got somewhat right, and thought funny, is that yes I really think our player development sucks. Both in the minors and on the big club. This is probably our biggest weakness. However, I don't think Guds is ruined. You're funny. In a strange way.

Player development falls on coaching, which is where our current weakness is. This team needs real leadership in coaching. People who know what they are doing, in every area, across the board. So that we can take advantage of the great draft picks that were made by DT and his team.

Old
01-29-2011, 04:10 PM
Markstrom Rules
Sup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boooooth10 View Post
Anyone read Fialkovs blog about this situation? Apparently Santos said there won't be any 18 or 19 year olds playing for the Panthers anymore.

http://blogs.sun-sentinel.com/sports...nthers/2011/01
Quote:
Asst. GM Mike Santos told me no more 18 or 19 year olds will be playing for the Panthers. He wants them to be fully prepared to be NHL players, both mentally and physically, so don’t be surprised if Gudbranson spends another season in the minors (AHL next year).
Fialkov loses some credibility here. Gudbranson isn't eligible to play in the AHL next season, he'd have to go back to junior, which I can't see happening. He also didn't use quotes like someone else said, so he may have misquoted Santos.

Markstrom Rules is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2011, 04:19 PM
Markstrom Rules
Sup

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam graves View Post
These are indisputable facts.
No they're not, Gudbranson definitely benefited from the extra year in juniors. He's finally scoring at a 40+ pt. pace(which he wasn't doing at the beginning of the year BTW) which is what we wanted to see from him, but still doesn't blow anyone away for an 18 year old d-man in the OHL. How good do you think he would be doing in the NHL this year offensively? Not that good probably. His offensive game probably would have been stunted at this level or at least set back. Now at least he has some confidence in his offensive abilities to carry to the NHL.

Markstrom Rules is online now   Reply With Quote