HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Workout Thread

Closed Thread

Old
02-01-2012, 05:18 PM
Lamar Latrell

vCash: 500
It's in Men's Health so you know it must be true

Old
02-01-2012, 05:38 PM
Dacks

Was wondering if anybody here has tried Men's Health Spartacus Workout? I wanted to try something that would burn fat quickly (I've gained about 20 pounds since I quit playing waterpolo two years ago) while working a bit on my core and toning, and this is what I found. (I noticed this discussed on the main board but not in here, so I thought I'd post it -sorry if it's already been discussed.)

Ten excercises, most of which work multiple body parts at the same time. Do as many reps as you can in 60 seconds, and then rest for 15 before moving on to the next exercise. Repeat the circuit three times (rest two minutes between circuits).

1. Medicine ball squat
2. Mountain climbers
3. Single-arm dumbell swing (with squat)
4. T-pushup
5. Split jump
6. Bent-over row
7. Side lunge
8. Pushup-position row
9. Medicine ball lunge with rotation
10. Dumbell push press

This thing absolutely destroys me. I've only been doing it with 40 second sets / 20 seconds rest but I still get my pulse up above 180 bpm and feel like fainting / puking when the whole thing is done. Some of the exercises I find a bit tough (split jumps especially) so I try to sub something in that works approximately the same groups.

Very pleased with the results so far. I find the workout pretty tough, but more importantly, it keeps me pretty focused the whole time.

Old
02-01-2012, 05:40 PM
Til the End of Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by FDBluth View Post
250? Jesus Christ. You better be at least 6'5 or you are one stacked dude.
I'm 6'3". I was always tall but was pretty lanky. Last year of HS football I was like 6'3" 185.

Been lifting pretty religiously ever since then. I feel like a lot of people lift for a year or two and then lose it, I've kinda just stuck with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamar Latrell View Post
Anyone who willingly bulks up to 250# likely knows their way around a barbell. Curious to know what kind of program you were/are on.
This is what I did for most of college. I hurt my back so I haven't been able to do deadlifts/hand cleans, so now I just do more of a BB routine, chest/back/shoulders/leg, and run once or twice a week.

Quote:
Here it is, for the first week. Upper body Tues/Fri, lower body Mon/Thurs.

Monday
High Pulls, 5 sets of 6
BB Lunges, 5 sets of 18
Pause Squats, 5 sets of 5

Tuesday
BB Flat BP, 5 sets of 8
Superset of BB Rows-5 sets of 8
Incline DB BP- 5 sets of 8
Superset of Standing DB Military Press- 5 sets of 8
Bicep Exercise (heavy)- 5 sets of 8
Superset Tricep Exercise (light)- 5 sets of 8

Thursday
Hang Cleans, 5 sets of 6
Deadlift-5 sets of 6
Squat- 5 sets of 6

Friday
BB Flat BP- 5 sets of 8
Pullups Super set- 5 sets of 8
sitting DB Military- 5 sets of 8
Superset Any kind of row- 5 sets of 8
Bicep Exercise (light)-5 sets of 8
Tricep Exercise Superset (hvy)- 5 sets of 8

And for weeks two and three, you add some weight, and do two less reps, ie 8 to 6 to 4, or 6 to 4 to 2.

And repeat, over and over.

Old
02-01-2012, 05:42 PM
Til the End of Time

I'm not big on supplements or expensive whey, mostly because I don't have any money.

I just use the cheapest whey I can find. Costco was the cheapest, but I recently found this stuff on Amazon. It's 30 bucks for 5 lbs, with subscribe and save. The cool thing is, you can immediately cancel the subscription after it ships. I've done this multiple times.

It isn't super tasty but whatever, it's cheap. I use it alot as a meal replacement, adding some kind of carbs.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...tag=slickdeals

Old
02-01-2012, 10:01 PM
66-29-33

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wl88ptGbHoE

I CAN'T believe this guy is 53 years old....WTF!!!

Old
02-01-2012, 10:04 PM
66-29-33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Til the End of Time View Post
I'm 6'3". I was always tall but was pretty lanky. Last year of HS football I was like 6'3" 185.

Been lifting pretty religiously ever since then. I feel like a lot of people lift for a year or two and then lose it, I've kinda just stuck with it.

This is what I did for most of college. I hurt my back so I haven't been able to do deadlifts/hand cleans, so now I just do more of a BB routine, chest/back/shoulders/leg, and run once or twice a week.
How many hours a week you go to the gym? I used to do 10 before i started P90X.

Old
02-02-2012, 02:23 PM
HandshakeLine
pro sports bettor

Anyone have any good suggestions for getting into Olympic-style lifting? I'd like to take advantage of the explosiveness it affords for the upcoming tournament season, but I'm also a bit wary of stepping into something like that without supervision.

Old
02-02-2012, 03:38 PM
JTG

I wouldn't do some of those lifts without a spotter.

Old
02-02-2012, 03:40 PM
Honour Over Glory

1. 150 pushups spread out throughout the day.
2. Eat like a pig
3. Thank my parents for an amazing metabolism and genes and wait for the day I finally get fat to skim through this thread for tips.

Old
02-02-2012, 05:12 PM
Lamar Latrell

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandshakeLine View Post
Anyone have any good suggestions for getting into Olympic-style lifting? I'd like to take advantage of the explosiveness it affords for the upcoming tournament season, but I'm also a bit wary of stepping into something like that without supervision.
It depends on your lifting background. Most likely I'd suggest finding a good Oly coach. USA Weightlifting has a (incomplete) list of affiliated clubs across the country.

http://weightlifting.teamusa.org/clu...fo/find-a-club

Where do you live, what's your athletic/training background, what sport do you compete in?

Greg Everett's Olympic Weightlifting: A Complete Guide for Athletes & Coaches is a great resource.

http://www.cathletics.com/zen/index....roducts_id=155

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG View Post
I wouldn't do some of those lifts without a spotter.
I presume you're responding to an earlier post, not the one directly above you about olympic lifting

Old
02-02-2012, 07:33 PM
66-29-33

Just in case someone new to working out is following this thread.

Bad form=bad!

Here is an example of terrible form.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNTGv...dUo-iBSDEPAUC3

See how they are both swinging their bodies? that does not work your arms at all, infact it would work your hips way more then your arms. Unless you want super slow results, when lifting weights DON'T SWING YOUR BODY!

Good form= GREAT!

Stand up straight, feet about shoulder width apart, lock your elbows at your hip, move the upper part of your arms (from just ahead of elbow) up and down, but elbow must be locked, that's the key part of this. Follow the experts like scooby who gives this info away for free. In fact for a beginner the best place to go would be his website. (i've already got someone hooked there)

http://scoobysworkshop.com/

It's hilarious listening to him talk with those muscles, but he knows his ****.

Also to remember this 1 thing, don't do isolation work. Do a full body workout, because the whole point of working out is for yourself. If you just do a certain area like chest/arms you're just doing it for the chicks and you're other areas that should have been worked on will remain weak.

Old
02-02-2012, 08:17 PM
Til the End of Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66-29-33 View Post
How many hours a week you go to the gym? I used to do 10 before i started P90X.
I am pretty busy with school now, so I'm not exercising as much as I did last year/normally do. Now I do four days of lifting, about an hour each workout. I've also started timing my rests between sets, usually try to keep my rests to about 50 seconds (a bit more for squats and heavier lifts). And then run steps once or twice a week.

So probably working out a total of 6 hours a week, which is a little low for me. I also live in Philly, which is very biker-friendly, so I ride my bike everywhere.

Old
02-02-2012, 10:16 PM
FDBluth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Til the End of Time View Post
I am pretty busy with school now, so I'm not exercising as much as I did last year/normally do. Now I do four days of lifting, about an hour each workout. I've also started timing my rests between sets, usually try to keep my rests to about 50 seconds (a bit more for squats and heavier lifts). And then run steps once or twice a week.

So probably working out a total of 6 hours a week, which is a little low for me. I also live in Philly, which is very biker-friendly, so I ride my bike everywhere.
How many calories do you eat per day? You've gained 75 pounds since high school. That's fairly insane. Either you have an amazing plan or you have the perfect genetics for gaining weight or both.

Old
02-02-2012, 10:30 PM
ForzaItalia

I tried 100 pound dumbbells for my last set of incline chest yesterday. This is the first time I've ever attempted such a weight. Had done four sets of flat bench and three sets of incline before that so only managed 4 good reps.

Felt good.

Old
02-02-2012, 10:32 PM
Til the End of Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by FDBluth View Post
How many calories do you eat per day? You've gained 75 pounds since high school. That's fairly insane. Either you have an amazing plan or you have the perfect genetics for gaining weight or both.
I honestly don't know. I've never counted calories for an extended period of time. I mostly just try to get 250 or so grams of protein per day + moderate amount of fat + adjust carbs depending on whether I'm cutting/bulking (maybe 500g of carbs when bulking but only 50g if really cutting). A few months ago when I was really trying to get to 250, I was eating everything in sight ("dirty bulk"). Especially towards the end, a lot of what I gained was fat. I probably gained 25 lbs last year, more of it fat than I would have preferred.

I was probably 185 in HS in 2004. Then 250lb at start of 2012. I probably gained 5 lbs per year, except for last year when it was more like 25 lbs. I think that's fairly reasonable, aside from this last year. My genetics are pretty decent, I guess. Main thing is obviously diet. I am really quite anal about that. No joke, probably 1/3 of my calories come from whey+oats+cottage cheese shakes. I almost always have a bag of whey protein with me.

Old
02-02-2012, 10:36 PM
66-29-33

How do you know if you have good genetics? i'm a fat storer, so i can go years not gaining anything, or 5 pounds, or lose 5 pounds. Does that mean i have good genetics?

Old
02-02-2012, 10:38 PM
66-29-33

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForzaItalia View Post
I tried 100 pound dumbbells for my last set of incline chest yesterday. This is the first time I've ever attempted such a weight. Had done four sets of flat bench and three sets of incline before that so only managed 4 good reps.

Felt good.
I'm on 20 pounders, 25 if i wanna push it.

Old
02-02-2012, 10:40 PM
Honour Over Glory

Quote:
How do you know if you have good genetics? i'm a fat storer, so i can go years not gaining anything, or 5 pounds, or lose 5 pounds. Does that mean i have good genetics?
I used to play a lot of sports when I was in highschool, the varsity type. My mom and dad were athletes when they were young as well and etc. I think you just know, like my friends say that I am that friend that eats whatever and doesn't get fat and it makes them mad sometimes. I do walk around a lot though, probably 6-8k a day and then the push-ups while not a lot, helps and I eat healthy for the most part (I cook a lot).

I also poop like clockwork.

Old
02-02-2012, 10:47 PM
66-29-33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honour Over Glory View Post
I used to play a lot of sports when I was in highschool, the varsity type. My mom and dad were athletes when they were young as well and etc. I think you just know, like my friends say that I am that friend that eats whatever and doesn't get fat and it makes them mad sometimes. I do walk around a lot though, probably 6-8k a day and then the push-ups while not a lot, helps and I eat healthy for the most part (I cook a lot).

I also poop like clockwork.
My uncle was like that, not my dad. Although through school he was active in everything so he was a skinny guy (although now he's a 56 year old 345 pound fat guy). me? outside of P90X i'm only active in my job. But tomorrow going to buy a hockey stick and start playing hockey at the lacrosse box, then eventually drop in, then leagues. Floor hockey that is...i can't skate.

Old
02-02-2012, 11:47 PM
theicebox
#MonixWatch

Does anyone ever get pain in their elbow/joint when lifting? One of my elbows has recently been getting inflammed even when I lift light weights. Any advice?

edit: I was going to call the Pens medical staff, but I thought I should check-in here first.

Last edited by theicebox: 02-03-2012 at 12:12 AM.
Old
02-03-2012, 07:17 AM
ForzaItalia

Quote:
I'm on 20 pounders, 25 if i wanna push it.
It'll come dude. Form over weight and it will come after time.

Old
02-03-2012, 08:47 AM
JTG

I have everything lined up to start my old hockey workout again. Lifting regimen, eating plan, cardio schedule...I just cannot start it.

Old
02-03-2012, 09:17 AM
td_ice
Peter shows the way

Quote:
I have everything lined up to start my old hockey workout again. Lifting regimen, eating plan, cardio schedule...I just cannot start it.
Maybe that is too many changes at once. If so, just do one of them, and get some momentum. Then the rest will follow at the right time.

Old
02-03-2012, 10:51 AM
JTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by td_ice View Post
Maybe that is too many changes at once. If so, just do one of them, and get some momentum. Then the rest will follow at the right time.
I do think that may be the problem. It's all pretty daunting...especially the cardio

Old
02-03-2012, 11:24 AM
Til the End of Time

Quote:
Stop being a girly man.

Closed Thread