HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Workout Thread

Closed Thread

Old
03-21-2012, 11:43 AM
Mancouver
Locked in the Washer

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacques G View Post
Yeah, but you should pair it with carbs if you want it to work best. I think 4:1 carbs-to-protein is pretty common, but I've read all sorts of different ratios depending on if you are trying to gain or cut.
I didn't know that. Is there a link you can provide that illustrates your claims?

Old
03-21-2012, 12:21 PM
JQR
Clearly it's Lovejoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILoveLuci View Post
I didn't know that. Is there a link you can provide that illustrates your claims?
http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/post_workout_carbs.htm

This is actually in reference to a post-workout drink, which is when I take protein supplements. This site is saying 2:1 carbs-to-protein.

http://www.truthaboutabs.com/Post-Wo...Nutrition.html

This article is more broad, going anywhere from 2:1 to 4:1.

Old
03-26-2012, 02:03 PM
66-29-33

Ok! so...i have COMPLETLY failed P90X....i got to as far as 201, then gave up and havn't touched P90X for like a month? now i'm 208, but...i ordered P90 + the new tropical shakeology again, i am drinking it now, and it's pretty good. Instead of 250 or w/e i would have paid if i paid individually, i got the combo pack which costs me $178. Comes with P90+any shakeology of your choice, so i went with the tropical again, as it's pretty good i must say. So tomorrow my P90 journey starts. LESS intense, but still 6 days a week. Hopefully this time i can make it work. People look at me and say "no way you're 201", or "208"...they think i'm like 250-260, i guess i'm just one of those people who can be not as heavy as my blubber makes me look? especially the face area...208, size 39 waist.

BTW i'm looking at the new beachbody product "Tai Cheng", looks like something i may want to try out. I've always been intrested in trying out Tai Chi.

Old
03-26-2012, 02:40 PM
pucks1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66-29-33 View Post
Ok! so...i have COMPLETLY failed P90X....i got to as far as 201, then gave up and havn't touched P90X for like a month? now i'm 208, but...i ordered P90 + the new tropical shakeology again, i am drinking it now, and it's pretty good. Instead of 250 or w/e i would have paid if i paid individually, i got the combo pack which costs me $178. Comes with P90+any shakeology of your choice, so i went with the tropical again, as it's pretty good i must say. So tomorrow my P90 journey starts. LESS intense, but still 6 days a week. Hopefully this time i can make it work. People look at me and say "no way you're 201", or "208"...they think i'm like 250-260, i guess i'm just one of those people who can be not as heavy as my blubber makes me look? especially the face area...208, size 39 waist.

BTW i'm looking at the new beachbody product "Tai Cheng", looks like something i may want to try out. I've always been intrested in trying out Tai Chi.
Ohhh man.. this is not what I wanted to hear!!.. i was ready for some sick before and afters.. Why did you give up? I’m doing insanity now and starting another round of 90x on April 30th with a group of people. I Went from 278lbs down to 245lbs – 15% body fat. I decided to go for a run the other night after not running in over a month and ended up running 10miles.. it was my longest ever, my wind was so good from insanity. Two days later I could barely walk though after running and doing inanity work outs- so sore, but a good sore. You know you can do 90x why down grade? P90 is for couch potatoes.. that’s not you!

Old
03-26-2012, 02:56 PM
66-29-33

Quote:
Originally Posted by pucks1 View Post
Ohhh man.. this is not what I wanted to hear!!.. i was ready for some sick before and afters.. Why did you give up? I’m doing insanity now and starting another round of 90x on April 30th with a group of people. I Went from 278lbs down to 245lbs – 15% body fat. I decided to go for a run the other night after not running in over a month and ended up running 10miles.. it was my longest ever, my wind was so good from insanity. Two days later I could barely walk though after running and doing inanity work outs- so sore, but a good sore. You know you can do 90x why down grade? P90 is for couch potatoes.. that’s not you!
I dunno, i just can't seem to do it. Maybe home workouts are not for me? i don't miss a workout when going to the gym. Maybe it's the eating part, which i totally fail at. But the worst part of my day was literally coming home, and starting my workout, i hated it with a PASSION!!! like, more then anything....and not in a love/hate thing, i just downright hated it.

BTW i'm still paying for my goodlife fitness membership, it's only $26 a month, because i got a workplace discount, which cuts like $13 off the normal cost. Havn't been there in about 6 or 7 months? before i did P90X.

Last edited by 66-29-33: 03-26-2012 at 03:05 PM.
Old
03-26-2012, 03:40 PM
pucks1

Quote:
I dunno, i just can't seem to do it. Maybe home workouts are not for me? i don't miss a workout when going to the gym. Maybe it's the eating part, which i totally fail at. But the worst part of my day was literally coming home, and starting my workout, i hated it with a PASSION!!! like, more then anything....and not in a love/hate thing, i just downright hated it.

BTW i'm still paying for my goodlife fitness membership, it's only $26 a month, because i got a workplace discount, which cuts like $13 off the normal cost. Havn't been there in about 6 or 7 months? before i did P90X.
Not a home work out guy? Isn’t it a lot harder to get up and go to a gym? I have a little one so I don’t have time to go to a gym or to work out after work.

I start my day by getting up at 5:30am and working out in my garage. I used to be one of those people that thought it was crazy to wake up that early- but now my body is used to it and it’s no big deal. I get to work and listen to all the people dreading the P.m work outs and it’s such a relief to know I get to go home and chill.

But if the gym works for you.. do it- do what works- At least you are aware that you are slacking and need to pick it up. At lot of people never even get to that stage so you’re ahead of the game.

The eating thing is hard for me as well-I usually mess up on the weekends and then eat well throughout the work week. I’m not really seeing big changes because of this. But I know that when I start with the group on the 30ths I will have to be 100% clean- so I’m giving myself some leeway for now.

Disclaimer- I am by no means a fitness guru or anything – and I don’t have a 6 pack– just a normal guy that realized it can be done if you put your mind to it. I would say I’m about half way to my goal. Whatever you end up doing- just try and stick with it. Good luck

Old
03-26-2012, 03:50 PM
MtlPenFan

Seriously, home workouts saved my life (figuratively of course)

I found getting ready to go to the gym was the most annoying thing of all. Packing up your ****, making sure you have your soap and shampoo and towel and all that. The drive, the drive back...ugh.

P90x is awesome if you can slog your way through the first 4 weeks. There's some stuff that can be discouraging but once you get used to it, it's actually pretty straightforward..

Old
03-26-2012, 03:52 PM
66-29-33

I wake up at 5am for work, but i live at an apartment so early early workouts is a no for me. Even if i did do it, i would have to be strict about my sleep schedule. I normally get 5 hours of sleep a night. It's also not that hard to get out go to the gym, i guess because there are many people there instead of you being by yourself? i'm still going to continue this, i'm pretty effin desperate, but EXTREMLY lazy and unmotivated. I figure downgrade to P90, and start off at this level untill i get more motivation to do this is the better way to go for me. I've been doing P90X for over 6 months, and it still feels like i'm on day 1.

Old
03-26-2012, 03:54 PM
mpp9

I mentioned it earlier. But I've seen some pretty ridiculous results from the Rack. I got bored of free weights, bench and pushups/pullups/situps.

I do 2-3 workouts a day. Pretty complete workout. I get close to shutdown mode everytime but you don't get so sore that you can't maintain your schedule.

Old
03-26-2012, 03:58 PM
pucks1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpp9 View Post
I mentioned it earlier. But I've seen some pretty ridiculous results from the Rack. I got bored of free weights, bench and pushups/pullups/situps.

I do 2-3 workouts a day. Pretty complete workout. I get close to shutdown mode everytime but you don't get so sore that you can't maintain your schedule.
I would love to do 2 or 3 workouts a day- You prob see sick results fast- Most i ever get done is a work out dvd in the a.m and sometimes a run or ice hockey at night.

Old
03-26-2012, 04:00 PM
pucks1

Quote:
I wake up at 5am for work, but i live at an apartment so early early workouts is a no for me. Even if i did do it, i would have to be strict about my sleep schedule. I normally get 5 hours of sleep a night. It's also not that hard to get out go to the gym, i guess because there are many people there instead of you being by yourself? i'm still going to continue this, i'm pretty effin desperate, but EXTREMLY lazy and unmotivated. I figure downgrade to P90, and start off at this level untill i get more motivation to do this is the better way to go for me. I've been doing P90X for over 6 months, and it still feels like i'm on day 1.
Do you ever take a pre-work out? its an energy supplement - that gets you wired and ready to work out- if you drank it on the way home you should be rocking. Maybe try c-4, or jacked-3d..

Old
03-26-2012, 04:02 PM
66-29-33

Quote:
Originally Posted by pucks1 View Post
Do you ever take a pre-work out? its an energy supplement - that gets you wired and ready to work out- if you drank it on the way home you should be rocking. Maybe try c-4, or jacked-3d..
Naw, i just put the DVD in and hit play. The only energy i ever use is a 5 hour energy for work when i need it.

Old
03-26-2012, 04:04 PM
66-29-33

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpp9 View Post

2-3 workouts a day? you're killin me here....*huffs and puffs*...killing me...!!!

Old
03-26-2012, 05:39 PM
mpp9

It's not as ridiculous as it sounds. Switch things up, but there's three 20-30 minute workouts that work your whole body, and then there's 8-10 minute ones that focus on your abs, chest and biceps.

Today I did a 20 minute one early, and did abs and biceps when I got home.

Don't have much interest being able to bench much over 200 lbs, just to feel good and look athletic. Broke up with a longtime gf and have to get back in the game.

Old
03-26-2012, 05:42 PM
66-29-33

****, sorry man about that breakup.

Old
03-26-2012, 05:53 PM
mpp9

Much appreciated

Old
03-26-2012, 06:21 PM
JQR
Clearly it's Lovejoy

Quote:

I started P90 5 weeks ago, just started my 6th week today. I'm 6ft, started out at 185, went up to 186, now down to 182. The real difference has been my waistline though. I went from a 36 to a 33, which is pretty sweet. Like most guys I carry the majority of fat in my gut, so it's great to see that going away.

Last Thursday I decided to move over to the 3-4 circuit, and it's definitely more intense. I was sore again for a few days, which was actually a pretty nice feeling.

P90 is definitely the most monotonous of any of those videos though, since you essentially go back and forth between 2 workouts for circuit 1-2, then circuit 3-4 expands on those workouts. I don't mind it though, I don't really give a **** what they do in the video, as long as they give me the queue of when to start and stop.

Planning on moving to Insanity after this is done.

Old
03-26-2012, 06:31 PM
66-29-33

Still much easier then P90X, that ***** EXTREME!

Old
03-26-2012, 06:35 PM
JQR
Clearly it's Lovejoy

Quote:
Still much easier then P90X, that ***** EXTREME!
Yeah, I'm not even going to bother with P90X. I picked up a few sets of dumb bells for P90, but I'd much rather not have to use equipment since I do these in my living room.

But yeah, from what I've heard/read, Insanity even trumps P90X in intensity, but it's all body-weight training, which I like a whole lot more.

Old
03-26-2012, 06:41 PM
66-29-33

It's only more intense because it's the lowerhalf of your body, P90X is mostly about your upperhalf, being a skinny RIPPED person. You would be far more in shape with Insanity because it's pretty much all cardio based.

Old
03-26-2012, 06:52 PM
JQR
Clearly it's Lovejoy

Quote:
It's only more intense because it's the lowerhalf of your body, P90X is mostly about your upperhalf, being a skinny RIPPED person. You would be far more in shape with Insanity because it's pretty much all cardio based.
Yup, that's what I'm after. My training mentor or whatever the hell Beachbody calls it sent me some samples of Shakeology, but hell if I'm paying $120 a month for it, haha. The chocolate one was pretty damn good though, I just can't justify spending $4 on a shake when I can get a 3 month supply of multivitamins for like $7, lol.

Old
03-26-2012, 11:23 PM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtlPenFan View Post
Seriously, home workouts saved my life (figuratively of course)

I found getting ready to go to the gym was the most annoying thing of all. Packing up your ****, making sure you have your soap and shampoo and towel and all that. The drive, the drive back...ugh.

P90x is awesome if you can slog your way through the first 4 weeks. There's some stuff that can be discouraging but once you get used to it, it's actually pretty straightforward..
What weights do you need for p90x?

Old
03-27-2012, 07:19 AM
JQR
Clearly it's Lovejoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Jiggyfly View Post
What weights do you need for p90x?
Free weights - for P90 I got 3 sets of these from Walmart. This allows me to get 3 sets ready before the workout with different weights to use for the different workouts. It also allows you to add more weight as you gain strength. OR you can use resistance bands. P90 comes with a set, but there are a handful of different bands with more or less tension. You can also adjust the tension yourself by stepping on the bands. I prefer the weights mainly because it allows me to gauge progress easier, though the bands are much easier to store and transport.

Pull-up bar - this is the one component in P90X that is not present in P90, and is also a big reason I won't get P90X. Free weights are more than enough for me, I'm trying to get away from using equipment. Although if you have a designated workout spot in your house I imagine this would be less of an issue. Apparently there is also a door attachment for the resistance bands that you can use in place of a pull-up bar, but I imagine the range of motion would be different from an actual pull-up, but also mush easier to store/travel.

They also recommend getting a yoga mat (I have an area rug in my living room, so I call that my mat), and a heart rate monitor (they also recommend this for P90. I have one from years ago but I haven't used it for this program).

Old
03-27-2012, 07:43 AM
pucks1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacques G View Post
I started P90 5 weeks ago, just started my 6th week today. I'm 6ft, started out at 185, went up to 186, now down to 182. The real difference has been my waistline though. I went from a 36 to a 33, which is pretty sweet. Like most guys I carry the majority of fat in my gut, so it's great to see that going away.

Last Thursday I decided to move over to the 3-4 circuit, and it's definitely more intense. I was sore again for a few days, which was actually a pretty nice feeling.

P90 is definitely the most monotonous of any of those videos though, since you essentially go back and forth between 2 workouts for circuit 1-2, then circuit 3-4 expands on those workouts. I don't mind it though, I don't really give a **** what they do in the video, as long as they give me the queue of when to start and stop.

Planning on moving to Insanity after this is done.
Insanity is the hardest work out dvds in the world- i completed insanity- and last night completed plyocide from 90x2 and i was not even winded. You cant go wrong with insanity

Old
03-27-2012, 07:51 AM
pucks1

Quote:
I wouldn’t say that insanity is more about lower half of your body and 90x is about upper. To me insanity is more about high intensity training –burning fat“ burpee’s, moving pushups, shoulder pushups, running in place while in plank” while 90x is more for muscle building “ heavy weights.., lots of push/pull- dumbbells -you have time to let your heartbeat drop back down”

Here is a link for anyone starting- tells which one you should buy and what equip you will need.

http://teamripped.com/getting-started

Closed Thread