HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Workout Thread

Closed Thread

Old
05-02-2012, 04:12 PM
cassius

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Til the End of Time View Post
eat more peanut butter and oats. cheap healthy and calorie dense.
You read my mind... I actually bought a huge thing of oats yesterday and had some this morning. It's so tough to pound a bunch of them, but they are one of the best carbs out there.

I still need to grab some natural PB though.

Old
05-02-2012, 04:12 PM
66-29-33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Til the End of Time View Post
eat more peanut butter and oats. cheap healthy and calorie dense.
Normal or Nutella? If normal, the worst is probably kraft.

Old
05-02-2012, 04:13 PM
cassius

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66-29-33 View Post
Normal or Nutella? If normal, the worst is probably kraft.
Natural peanut butter. Nutella is basically sugar that is somehow marketed as some sort of health food.

Old
05-02-2012, 04:14 PM
ManInTheBox
Women Love Candy

If you get tired of peanut butter try almond butter.

Old
05-02-2012, 04:16 PM
66-29-33

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassius View Post
Natural peanut butter. Nutella is basically sugar that is somehow marketed as some sort of health food.
Go watch Epic Meal Time and make that for your day. Don't actually do that....

Old
05-02-2012, 04:17 PM
Til the End of Time

agree w cassius. nutella is very tasty but high in sugar and fats- deadly combo.

natural peanut butter is ideal but frankly i cant afford it so i just whatevers cheapest. probably has more sugar and less of the good fats but whatever.

also i find the blender to be my best friend when trying to bulk. eating 1000 calories is much harder for me than a blended shake with 1000 calories.

my poor mans bulking shake that i had multiple times per day- one scoop whey, bit of cottage cheese, a few raw eggs, oats, and peanut butter. you can change the exact amounts. quick, cheap, full of calories, good ratio of fat/carbs/protein.

Old
05-02-2012, 04:17 PM
cassius

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66-29-33 View Post
Go watch Epic Meal Time and make that for your day. Don't actually do that....
Haha... some of my lunches actually look similar to that stuff (although not quite as crazy).

Here is what I was eating for lunch pretty much every day before I realized eating massive amounts of chicken wasn't helping me pack on any pounds.... now it's all ground beef/steak/ribs and fattier proteins.

Old
05-02-2012, 04:20 PM
66-29-33

Quote:
Haha... some of my lunches actually look similar to that stuff (although not quite as crazy).

Here is what I was eating for lunch pretty much every day before I realized eating massive amounts of chicken wasn't helping me pack on any pounds.... now it's all ground beef/steak/ribs and fattier proteins.

Omg, i miss not going to Swiss Chalet now...that chicken looks like theirs.

Old
05-02-2012, 07:53 PM
JTG

I wish I had problems gaining weight. I have had to watch my diet my entire life and it blows.

Old
05-02-2012, 07:58 PM
wej20

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG View Post
I wish I had problems gaining weight. I have had to watch my diet my entire life and it blows.
I'd like to be somewhere in the middle, my friend is rake thin and really struggles to put on weight. He's a very healthy eater to which I definitely wouldn't be if I was him.

Old
05-02-2012, 08:07 PM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:
You read my mind... I actually bought a huge thing of oats yesterday and had some this morning. It's so tough to pound a bunch of them, but they are one of the best carbs out there.

I still need to grab some natural PB though.
I read in Men' Health years ago that natural PB isn't that much better for you than regular PB, so I wouldn't sweat it.

From what I remember they said Skippy PB was the best brand... That is all I buy so that is probably the brand they said.

If you want to add about 20 lbs to your bench max, try using bench bands or chains for a few weeks. Worked wonders for me.

Old
05-02-2012, 10:28 PM
Lamar Latrell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Jiggyfly View Post
I read in Men' Health years ago that natural PB isn't that much better for you than regular PB, so I wouldn't sweat it.

From what I remember they said Skippy PB was the best brand... That is all I buy so that is probably the brand they said.

If you want to add about 20 lbs to your bench max, try using bench bands or chains for a few weeks. Worked wonders for me.
About the PB, I wouldn't sweat different brands of food too much unless you have a fair amount of disposable income, and then I would mainly recommend focusing on fatty animal products (ie. grass fed beef/lamb, not so much chicken or turkey) vs. grains, fruits, veggies. Most of the nutritional differences from organic stuff is in the fat make-up.

I like the whole paleo concept and it has worked for me at different adherence levels. I don't follow it whole-heartedly, that sort of obsession isn't healthy. But I try to destroy vegetables, eat a ton of meat and fruits. I avoid grains and other nutrient sparse, carb/calorie-dense foods, but not entirely and I don't freak out over. It is great for me b/c the ok foods are mostly my favorite types of food to begin w/. It also gives me a justificaton to eat meat and eggs for breakfast most days.

Old
05-02-2012, 11:29 PM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

Send a message via AIM to ColePens
I'll be honest - i get very bored with working out at the gym so my buddy and i started doing sports-specific training again even though I don't play junior hockey anymore. I'm getting into the best shape of my life and i feel like a million dollars. It's all explosive training and lots of footwork drills.

I used my trainers heart-rate watch/chest thing today and burned 1340 calories in little over 90 minute session.

If people get bored - i'd highly recommend stuff like that.

Old
05-03-2012, 03:21 AM
Florentino Ariza

Quote:
I usually snack on some almonds throughout the day. Not the biggest fan of greens at all, but I try to get in some spinach every day.

I do a 50G protein shake after I lift, but I'm thinking of stepping it up to 3 protein shakes a day. 1 in the morning and 1 at night too. Don't know if that is overkill or not, but it might be worth a shot.

Man it even goes beyond the body thing. I really won't be happy with my progress until I can bench like 250lbs or so - its a challenge thing for me. Also, it's really is beyond frustrating to spend so much $ on food and make little to no progress. I'm not giving up until I gain another 10 lbs or so though, lol.
At what cost are you going to gain weight just to say you gained weight? You are eating a ton of protein which is hard for your body to process and all of that red meat may take a toll on your body eventually. Of course anybody CAN gain weight, but for some of us it is very, very hard and perhaps not worth it. If it means that much to you, then I suppose that is what counts. Just giving my two cents. . .

Also, organic or natural peanut butter is better for you AND it tastes about a million times better than some ****** brand. You can go to Giant Eagle and buy the Giant Eagle organic brand and it´s not expensive at all. I don´t know why people are talking about price when it comes to that. The Giant Eagle brand of organic is probably the same price and it tastes like real peanut butter and not fake food.

Old
05-03-2012, 06:25 AM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamar Latrell View Post
About the PB, I wouldn't sweat different brands of food too much unless you have a fair amount of disposable income, and then I would mainly recommend focusing on fatty animal products (ie. grass fed beef/lamb, not so much chicken or turkey) vs. grains, fruits, veggies. Most of the nutritional differences from organic stuff is in the fat make-up.

I like the whole paleo concept and it has worked for me at different adherence levels. I don't follow it whole-heartedly, that sort of obsession isn't healthy. But I try to destroy vegetables, eat a ton of meat and fruits. I avoid grains and other nutrient sparse, carb/calorie-dense foods, but not entirely and I don't freak out over. It is great for me b/c the ok foods are mostly my favorite types of food to begin w/. It also gives me a justificaton to eat meat and eggs for breakfast most days.
Some organic PB has sugar in it... The difference in sugar between most organic brands and regular is a couple grams, generally. I know the AMA did a study using regular brands, and recommended two tablespoons at least 5 times a week. So that is good enough for me.

Using regular PB isn't a big deal, it still has a ton of health benefits, but the kind to avoid is the low fat versions... They replace peanuts with maltodextrin and twice the sugar... Just a bunch of filler and **** you don't need, to save a few cals.

Old
05-03-2012, 10:16 AM
Lamar Latrell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Jiggyfly View Post
Some organic PB has sugar in it... The difference in sugar between most organic brands and regular is a couple grams, generally. I know the AMA did a study using regular brands, and recommended two tablespoons at least 5 times a week. So that is good enough for me.

Using regular PB isn't a big deal, it still has a ton of health benefits, but the kind to avoid is the low fat versions... They replace peanuts with maltodextrin and twice the sugar... Just a bunch of filler and **** you don't need, to save a few cals.
This is the truth. Any "low fat" product just switches out the fat w/ sugar to make it edible. Fat's not necessarily bad, sugar almost always is.

Old
05-03-2012, 11:22 AM
ManInTheBox
Women Love Candy

Is there any truth to the notion whey protein is bad for the liver? My mom told me that. I know there's amino acids in it.

Old
05-03-2012, 12:00 PM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILoveLuci View Post
Is there any truth to the notion whey protein is bad for the liver? My mom told me that. I know there's amino acids in it.
There have been studies done on massive protein consumption and some studies say it is harmful for your liver, others are inconclusive.... Who knows.

The old adage if you want to bulk up is to eat, per day, 1.5 to 2 grams of protein per pound of body weight, which is a ******** of protein.

When I played competitive hockey in my teens and early 20s, I used to eat around 350 grams of protein, mostly from lean meats, PB, chocolate milk, nuts, string cheese, yogurt and 2 or three protein shakes a day. I weighed around 215.

I was also loading creatine on a pyramid schedule...

Now that I am in my 30s, I am down to 190... I focus more on building lean muscle. I just felt like common sense was screaming to me that all of that protein couldn't be healthy for my body. You almost become a slave to eating protein...

I have found that you can get mostly everything you need from real food if you plan out your meals and it can help fuel a really nice physique.

Old
05-03-2012, 12:46 PM
Florentino Ariza

What he said. I've always believed in what my grandfather has told me. He always says "Everything in moderation". I am sure you could find studies that say it is bad for the liver and bad for the kidneys and others that say there is no effect. I just believe it can't be good a thing (not a bad thing perhaps, but at the very least NOT a good thing) to eat so much protein.

Old
05-03-2012, 11:03 PM
lastcupever75
NY Roadkill

slowly getting back to working out after a 3 year latoff,

dropped 13 pounds without working out on new eating style. organic food, low sugar, low salt no HF corn syrup

stomach is getting smaller but can still use some work. has anybody here heard about something like this. dont care about the money, just if it actually does the job it states

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...1#post49241209

Old
05-03-2012, 11:05 PM
lastcupever75
NY Roadkill

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILoveLuci View Post
too much protein can lead to kidney stones or gout. as its always suggested. be sure to drink plenty of water

Old
05-03-2012, 11:14 PM
lastcupever75
NY Roadkill

some supermarkets grind up the peanuts in the store for ya.

real natural PB

Old
05-04-2012, 07:42 AM
Jacob

For those who take glutamine, when and how much do you take?

Old
05-05-2012, 11:33 AM
Kruncher11
a whole lotta grease

Quote:

I don't get why eating massive amounts of chicken wouldn't help you gain weight. As long as you're eating above your maintenance you will gain weight regardless of what you're eating. Unless you're trying to dirty bulk and add unnecessary fat...?

Old
05-08-2012, 12:26 AM
66-29-33

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHcrKWs8rqM

Oh my GOD! Coach Wayne is as filthy ripped as he is rich. Must have a hell of a job to afford that car with custom P90X2 license plates.

Closed Thread