HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Workout Thread

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-11-2013, 10:06 AM
  #826
TheGreatPenguino
Registered User
 
TheGreatPenguino's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 130
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Jiggyfly View Post
The first time I tried Insanity, my daughter was just born and I stopped all of my hardcore training... in fact I stopped working out for four months because I was so exhausted. Then my wife asked me to try this Insanity video she found out about from a friend...

We did the fit test and I went up to the bathroom to shower and sat on the end of the tub and literally didn't move for 20 minutes.... I couldn't physically get up and the room was spinning. Worse feeling I ever had after a workout.

So I realized I better get back in shape first, THEN try Insanity.



Diet is huge, but the first time I did Insanity I was under tremendous stress the entire time (mom was diagnosed with cancer) and my diet was not clean - at all.

Despite two of the worst factors you can have agt. you when trying to lose weight/get lean, I still got ripped up. Doing the advanced workouts, you have to be burning in excess of 6-700 calories easy. So if your diet is clean and you are doing the videos straight through, you can't help but lose weight.

The only thing I disagree with about your diet is not eating after 8 PM. Your body needs protein to build muscle while you sleep and I always have a snack high in protein an hour or two before I go to bed.
Im sorry to hear that, food was a vice for me as well but once you get in the habit you fall into that cliche of it not being a diet and it being a lifestyle change. Im a label hound in the store and it really pays off to know exactly what is going into your body and when.

Cant wait to start the advanced workouts, but at this point I just do the workouts as workouts, no 6 times a week program. Hopefully I can keep up, the NO-Explode should help a lot though.

I wanted to get the flab down down before I started building muscle. It was about self control than anything because my late night food intake was my biggest problem. Like i said I worked out so late, 9pm-10pm usually I didnt want to have any food sitting in me while I slept. This also helped me get in the routine of actually being hungry in the morning which was a big problem. Thats the main reason im starting whey after my workout now to avoid sugars and fat while still getting something to replenish after my workout.

TheGreatPenguino is offline  
Old
01-11-2013, 10:21 AM
  #827
Mr Jiggyfly
Registered User
 
Mr Jiggyfly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 14,395
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatPenguino View Post
Im sorry to hear that, food was a vice for me as well but once you get in the habit you fall into that cliche of it not being a diet and it being a lifestyle change. Im a label hound in the store and it really pays off to know exactly what is going into your body and when.

Cant wait to start the advanced workouts, but at this point I just do the workouts as workouts, no 6 times a week program. Hopefully I can keep up, the NO-Explode should help a lot though.

I wanted to get the flab down down before I started building muscle. It was about self control than anything because my late night food intake was my biggest problem. Like i said I worked out so late, 9pm-10pm usually I didnt want to have any food sitting in me while I slept. This also helped me get in the routine of actually being hungry in the morning which was a big problem. Thats the main reason im starting whey after my workout now to avoid sugars and fat while still getting something to replenish after my workout.
Ya I always read labels. It is kind of disturbing what the FDA allows in our food (US) compared to Canada. When I started spending time up here in Canada, it was a revelation. No hormones in milk, no HFCS in bread and other foods, just natural sugar, etc.

Lately I've been paying a lot of attention to sodium on labels and when I cook. Sodium is loaded in just about everything, so you really need to watch your intake or it can easily be doubled or tripled of your daily allowance.

Mr Jiggyfly is offline  
Old
01-11-2013, 11:04 AM
  #828
Shady Machine
Registered User
 
Shady Machine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 12,203
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Jiggyfly View Post
Ya I always read labels. It is kind of disturbing what the FDA allows in our food (US) compared to Canada. When I started spending time up here in Canada, it was a revelation. No hormones in milk, no HFCS in bread and other foods, just natural sugar, etc.

Lately I've been paying a lot of attention to sodium on labels and when I cook. Sodium is loaded in just about everything, so you really need to watch your intake or it can easily be doubled or tripled of your daily allowance.
Totally agree Jiggy. Also, there's corn or by products in nearly everything. I gave up corn for lent one year as an experiment and it was really hard. It totally transformed the way I eat because it made me read every label and I realized I was putting some strange things into my body.

Shady Machine is offline  
Old
01-11-2013, 11:11 AM
  #829
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior
 
ColePens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Pittsburgh
Country: United States
Posts: 32,348
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to ColePens
I was not a fan of NO Explode. It definitely gives an energy boost, but it's not an easy mix and it also makes you feel bloated if you don't take it a full 30 minutes prior to working out. I loved the good energy, but the bloated feeling takes away from the focus.

I stack these three items and they are so natural tasting/feeling that I don't think I'll ever get away from it.

Preworkout: Hyper Shred (pill) - natural energy, good focus, etc. No side-effects at all.

Workout: ReGen - Great/easy mix. Your typical BCAA. Really is great for recovery. Perfect for during workouts and on non-working out days.

Post Workout: Wheybolic by GNC. Great protein. Natural tasting. Perfect mix w/ milk.

ColePens is offline  
Old
01-11-2013, 11:49 AM
  #830
ManInTheBox
Women Love Candy
 
ManInTheBox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Kampuchia
Posts: 3,373
vCash: 500
I'm thinking of growing my own Quinoa. That or Amaranth. Growing it is the real fun.

ManInTheBox is offline  
Old
01-11-2013, 01:45 PM
  #831
TheGreatPenguino
Registered User
 
TheGreatPenguino's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 130
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColePens View Post
I was not a fan of NO Explode. It definitely gives an energy boost, but it's not an easy mix and it also makes you feel bloated if you don't take it a full 30 minutes prior to working out. I loved the good energy, but the bloated feeling takes away from the focus.

I stack these three items and they are so natural tasting/feeling that I don't think I'll ever get away from it.

Preworkout: Hyper Shred (pill) - natural energy, good focus, etc. No side-effects at all.

Workout: ReGen - Great/easy mix. Your typical BCAA. Really is great for recovery. Perfect for during workouts and on non-working out days.

Post Workout: Wheybolic by GNC. Great protein. Natural tasting. Perfect mix w/ milk.
Ive actually only heard really good things about NO EX. It makes your skin crawl sometimes but that is something that can be dealt with.

Only thing i did hear is the plateau gets to a lot of people where they are taking twice as much as recommended.

TheGreatPenguino is offline  
Old
01-11-2013, 01:57 PM
  #832
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior
 
ColePens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Pittsburgh
Country: United States
Posts: 32,348
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to ColePens
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatPenguino View Post
Ive actually only heard really good things about NO EX. It makes your skin crawl sometimes but that is something that can be dealt with.

Only thing i did hear is the plateau gets to a lot of people where they are taking twice as much as recommended.
I might send you mine then. I think a lot is personal preference. I think what made me feel bloated was the synthetic creatine (right?) used in it. Holding that water weight is something my body isn't used to doing in an intense sports-specific training session. So it made me feel bloated every time I took it. Energy level was supreme... and that comes from a guy who can drink a 20oz red bull and go straight to bed.

Hyper Shred gave me the same energy, more focus (which is hard to come by in supplements), and lasted longer. But every person/body is different.

ColePens is offline  
Old
01-11-2013, 02:14 PM
  #833
ThisIsCakeTown
Registered User
 
ThisIsCakeTown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 40
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColePens View Post
I might send you mine then. I think a lot is personal preference. I think what made me feel bloated was the synthetic creatine (right?) used in it. Holding that water weight is something my body isn't used to doing in an intense sports-specific training session. So it made me feel bloated every time I took it. Energy level was supreme... and that comes from a guy who can drink a 20oz red bull and go straight to bed.

Hyper Shred gave me the same energy, more focus (which is hard to come by in supplements), and lasted longer. But every person/body is different.
^ This guys schedule is as follows:
Work til 5.
Fire back a 16oz Red Bull.
Sleep til 8 or 9.
Go to the gym.

ThisIsCakeTown is offline  
Old
01-11-2013, 02:16 PM
  #834
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior
 
ColePens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Pittsburgh
Country: United States
Posts: 32,348
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to ColePens
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisIsCakeTown View Post
^ This guys schedule is as follows:
Work til 5.
Fire back a 16oz Red Bull.
Sleep til 8 or 9.
Go to the gym.
And ladies and gents - my brother is now using HF Boards. What has this world come to?

ColePens is offline  
Old
01-11-2013, 06:13 PM
  #835
ManInTheBox
Women Love Candy
 
ManInTheBox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Kampuchia
Posts: 3,373
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColePens View Post
And ladies and gents - my brother is now using HF Boards. What has this world come to?
I'm picturing you 'round the table eating together and talking about hockey.

And ColePens brother keeps flipping to the undesirable web pages.

ManInTheBox is offline  
Old
01-13-2013, 09:33 PM
  #836
66-29-33
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Victoria, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 29,506
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Jiggyfly View Post
Wait until you try Pure Cardio... No stops... No breaks... ****ing brutal.

The pools of sweat on my workout pads gets so bad doing the advanced workouts, I have to use a couple of towels to wipe it all up, or Ill break my neck.
I stopped, alot...it was brutal! I did something bad, i could not keep form anymore, or hell even attempt 1 more excercise so i skipped the last 3 minutes and went to the cool down. Tomorrow (Monday) i'm going to say i am "officially" starting, because it will be Monday, and i can have 6 days (the 4 days i already did i'll call my "warmup"). Tomorrow i will go balls to the wall! Here is my 1475 cal meal plan, which i'm going to have to up because i need atleast 2000 cals.

Meal 1 (Breakfast) Berry Protein Smoothie
- 1 Cup Protein Powder (i just bought a big thing of 100% whey isolate from Kaizen at Costco)
- Half a cup of Frozen Berries
- 1 cup skim milk

Meal 2 (Snack) Nutrition Bar
- 1 Pure Protein Bar
- 1 cup skim milk

Meal 3 (Lunch) Shakeology
- 1 scoop Shakeology ($120 for 1 month supply...i'm only using it for 1 month)
- 1 Banana
- Half a cup of Water
- Half cup skim milk
- 2 ice cubes

Meal 4 (Snack) Insanity Special Nutbutter and Jelly
- 1 slice whole grain bread (Family 60% WW bread)
- 1 table spoon peanut butter (Blue Menu)
- 1 Table spoon Jam (club pack no name Apple and Strawberry)
-1 cup skim milk (foremost Daries Skim Milk)

Meal 5 (Dinner) Turkey burger
- 4oz lean ground turkey (i use extra lean ground turkey, it's better)
- 2 table spoons Salsa (no name, it's good enough and cheap)
- 2 table spoons red onion, chopped
- 1 whole grain hamberger bun (use whole wheat wonder buns)

I had to sub things out to make my grocery list bigger so i can buy for more then 1 week. That's about 100$ there for a week of healthy eating. That's 1475 cals per day diet, so i'm going to be adding a few more things to my meals (like a banana, 1 more cup skim milk, etc) because 1475 is WAYY TOO LOW. I should be eating at a 2000 cal per day pace.

66-29-33 is offline  
Old
01-13-2013, 09:35 PM
  #837
71
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Moundsville, WV
Country: United States
Posts: 5,647
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColePens View Post
And ladies and gents - my brother is now using HF Boards. What has this world come to?
2 of you?!


71 is offline  
Old
01-13-2013, 10:37 PM
  #838
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior
 
ColePens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Pittsburgh
Country: United States
Posts: 32,348
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to ColePens
Quote:
Originally Posted by 66-29-33 View Post
I stopped, alot...it was brutal! I did something bad, i could not keep form anymore, or hell even attempt 1 more excercise so i skipped the last 3 minutes and went to the cool down. Tomorrow (Monday) i'm going to say i am "officially" starting, because it will be Monday, and i can have 6 days (the 4 days i already did i'll call my "warmup"). Tomorrow i will go balls to the wall! Here is my 1475 cal meal plan, which i'm going to have to up because i need atleast 2000 cals.

Meal 1 (Breakfast) Berry Protein Smoothie
- 1 Cup Protein Powder (i just bought a big thing of 100% whey isolate from Kaizen at Costco)
- Half a cup of Frozen Berries
- 1 cup skim milk

Meal 2 (Snack) Nutrition Bar
- 1 Pure Protein Bar
- 1 cup skim milk

Meal 3 (Lunch) Shakeology
- 1 scoop Shakeology ($120 for 1 month supply...i'm only using it for 1 month)
- 1 Banana
- Half a cup of Water
- Half cup skim milk
- 2 ice cubes

Meal 4 (Snack) Insanity Special Nutbutter and Jelly
- 1 slice whole grain bread (Family 60% WW bread)
- 1 table spoon peanut butter (Blue Menu)
- 1 Table spoon Jam (club pack no name Apple and Strawberry)
-1 cup skim milk (foremost Daries Skim Milk)

Meal 5 (Dinner) Turkey burger
- 4oz lean ground turkey (i use extra lean ground turkey, it's better)
- 2 table spoons Salsa (no name, it's good enough and cheap)
- 2 table spoons red onion, chopped
- 1 whole grain hamberger bun (use whole wheat wonder buns)

I had to sub things out to make my grocery list bigger so i can buy for more then 1 week. That's about 100$ there for a week of healthy eating. That's 1475 cals per day diet, so i'm going to be adding a few more things to my meals (like a banana, 1 more cup skim milk, etc) because 1475 is WAYY TOO LOW. I should be eating at a 2000 cal per day pace.
Be careful with how specific you limit your meals. That's a huge issues with a lot of people dieting. Some nights you go out to eat...some nights your boss might treat everyone. A lot changes. I think portion control is greater than limiting specifics. If people order pizza.. have one slice. Don't kill yourself over it. But don't fire off 5-6.


Quote:
Originally Posted by 71 View Post
2 of you?!

We are taking over

ColePens is offline  
Old
01-13-2013, 11:16 PM
  #839
johnniewalker
Registered User
 
johnniewalker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 1,883
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 66-29-33 View Post
I stopped, alot...it was brutal! I did something bad, i could not keep form anymore, or hell even attempt 1 more excercise so i skipped the last 3 minutes and went to the cool down. Tomorrow (Monday) i'm going to say i am "officially" starting, because it will be Monday, and i can have 6 days (the 4 days i already did i'll call my "warmup"). Tomorrow i will go balls to the wall! Here is my 1475 cal meal plan, which i'm going to have to up because i need atleast 2000 cals.

Meal 1 (Breakfast) Berry Protein Smoothie
- 1 Cup Protein Powder (i just bought a big thing of 100% whey isolate from Kaizen at Costco)
- Half a cup of Frozen Berries
- 1 cup skim milk

Meal 2 (Snack) Nutrition Bar
- 1 Pure Protein Bar
- 1 cup skim milk

Meal 3 (Lunch) Shakeology
- 1 scoop Shakeology ($120 for 1 month supply...i'm only using it for 1 month)
- 1 Banana
- Half a cup of Water
- Half cup skim milk
- 2 ice cubes

Meal 4 (Snack) Insanity Special Nutbutter and Jelly
- 1 slice whole grain bread (Family 60% WW bread)
- 1 table spoon peanut butter (Blue Menu)
- 1 Table spoon Jam (club pack no name Apple and Strawberry)
-1 cup skim milk (foremost Daries Skim Milk)

Meal 5 (Dinner) Turkey burger
- 4oz lean ground turkey (i use extra lean ground turkey, it's better)
- 2 table spoons Salsa (no name, it's good enough and cheap)
- 2 table spoons red onion, chopped
- 1 whole grain hamberger bun (use whole wheat wonder buns)

I had to sub things out to make my grocery list bigger so i can buy for more then 1 week. That's about 100$ there for a week of healthy eating. That's 1475 cals per day diet, so i'm going to be adding a few more things to my meals (like a banana, 1 more cup skim milk, etc) because 1475 is WAYY TOO LOW. I should be eating at a 2000 cal per day pace.
I just wanted to chime in on this, because I've followed this thread for a while now and you have seemed to bounce on and off the wagon a little bit over time. It is always a struggle to stick with exercising regularly as it is, and it is compounded in difficulty when you try to hold yourself to a very strict diet. If you are doing serious workouts ~5 days a week for 30+ minutes or so each day, you likely don't need to be quite that strict about your diet.

Getting your body to a healthy weight is a lifestyle change and should be something that you are working towards making permanent. The more rigid and inflexible that you make your diet and exercise plan, the more quickly you will come to hate it and have a hard time sticking to it.

These plans like P90X and Insanity are effective, and great at producing fast results, but I would just say that you should always be working to get yourself into a routine that you believe that you can hold to for the rest of your life. Anything that you don't see yourself doing for good is something you should probably not bother with now (i.e. Shakeology, 1450 calorie diets, and other unsustainable things like that)

So, in other words, everything you are doing/saying so far is great, and it sounds like it will work and be effective, but you may be going into this a little too strongly. Maybe this is how you need to do it to make the lifestyle change, but for me I would just work into it a little more gradually. Just start off working out via the DVDs and start to make healthy choices in your diet. Switch to skim milk and other low-fat dairy products. Read labels and avoid things super high in calories. Don't completely gorge yourself when you have meals. Don't drink a 6-pack every other day. Pick the salad instead of the burger sometimes when you have the choice.

P.S. What you are doing is awesome, and I hope you don't take this the wrong way. I mean to be encouraging, and I hope that you have great success with this. Myself, I have been working at being a healthier, more active and fit person for 3 years now and have had great results. I am not now and have not ever been ripped or been strong enough to lift a car, but I am in great shape, feel much better, have a much lower body fat percentage, much better blood pressure, etc. I realize that to look like I was chiseled out of stone, I would need to make sacrifices that I would prefer not to make. Maybe someday I will go that route, but for now I am very happy with the way I am, which was not the case before.


Last edited by johnniewalker: 01-13-2013 at 11:21 PM.
johnniewalker is offline  
Old
01-13-2013, 11:53 PM
  #840
Mr Jiggyfly
Registered User
 
Mr Jiggyfly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 14,395
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 66-29-33 View Post
I stopped, alot...it was brutal! I did something bad, i could not keep form anymore, or hell even attempt 1 more excercise so i skipped the last 3 minutes and went to the cool down. Tomorrow (Monday) i'm going to say i am "officially" starting, because it will be Monday, and i can have 6 days (the 4 days i already did i'll call my "warmup"). Tomorrow i will go balls to the wall! Here is my 1475 cal meal plan, which i'm going to have to up because i need atleast 2000 cals.

Meal 1 (Breakfast) Berry Protein Smoothie
- 1 Cup Protein Powder (i just bought a big thing of 100% whey isolate from Kaizen at Costco)
- Half a cup of Frozen Berries
- 1 cup skim milk

Meal 2 (Snack) Nutrition Bar
- 1 Pure Protein Bar
- 1 cup skim milk

Meal 3 (Lunch) Shakeology
- 1 scoop Shakeology ($120 for 1 month supply...i'm only using it for 1 month)
- 1 Banana
- Half a cup of Water
- Half cup skim milk
- 2 ice cubes

Meal 4 (Snack) Insanity Special Nutbutter and Jelly
- 1 slice whole grain bread (Family 60% WW bread)
- 1 table spoon peanut butter (Blue Menu)
- 1 Table spoon Jam (club pack no name Apple and Strawberry)
-1 cup skim milk (foremost Daries Skim Milk)

Meal 5 (Dinner) Turkey burger
- 4oz lean ground turkey (i use extra lean ground turkey, it's better)
- 2 table spoons Salsa (no name, it's good enough and cheap)
- 2 table spoons red onion, chopped
- 1 whole grain hamberger bun (use whole wheat wonder buns)

I had to sub things out to make my grocery list bigger so i can buy for more then 1 week. That's about 100$ there for a week of healthy eating. That's 1475 cals per day diet, so i'm going to be adding a few more things to my meals (like a banana, 1 more cup skim milk, etc) because 1475 is WAYY TOO LOW. I should be eating at a 2000 cal per day pace.
Just be careful about keeping your calories to low, because as I'm sure you know that actually slows down your metabolism and your body then cannibalizes your muscles. You also need to feed your body so you can have fuel for your workouts, which builds muscle, which burns more calories.

Basically, don't be afraid of food. Food can be your best friend. Just learn to make the right choices and make it fun (in a healthy way). This way you are much more likely to stick to this kind of lifestyle.

When I was in my twenties I used to load creatine and bi-weekly phase, downed 3-4 protein shakes/protein bars a day (215-230 grams daily), ate a strict diet, mostly chicken... It was so blah and I was miserable.

However, I was bulked up to about 215 and wanted to be as big as possible, so I just dealt with it like a toolbag. But I hated my supplements, my boring ass diet, etc.

Now I eat well, but I eat what I want. I don't supplement anymore. I use organic chocolate milk, PB, cheese, nuts, etc to fuel my pre and post workouts. I know how to make just about any meal I want in a healthy way, and my meals are almost always enjoyable, lots of variety, quite filling and I always look fwd to them.

This makes it easy as hell to live a heathy lifestyle (for me).

Mr Jiggyfly is offline  
Old
01-13-2013, 11:54 PM
  #841
TheGreatPenguino
Registered User
 
TheGreatPenguino's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 130
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 66-29-33 View Post
I stopped, alot...it was brutal! I did something bad, i could not keep form anymore, or hell even attempt 1 more excercise so i skipped the last 3 minutes and went to the cool down. Tomorrow (Monday) i'm going to say i am "officially" starting, because it will be Monday, and i can have 6 days (the 4 days i already did i'll call my "warmup"). Tomorrow i will go balls to the wall! Here is my 1475 cal meal plan, which i'm going to have to up because i need atleast 2000 cals.

Meal 1 (Breakfast) Berry Protein Smoothie
- 1 Cup Protein Powder (i just bought a big thing of 100% whey isolate from Kaizen at Costco)
- Half a cup of Frozen Berries
- 1 cup skim milk

Meal 2 (Snack) Nutrition Bar
- 1 Pure Protein Bar
- 1 cup skim milk

Meal 3 (Lunch) Shakeology
- 1 scoop Shakeology ($120 for 1 month supply...i'm only using it for 1 month)
- 1 Banana
- Half a cup of Water
- Half cup skim milk
- 2 ice cubes

Meal 4 (Snack) Insanity Special Nutbutter and Jelly
- 1 slice whole grain bread (Family 60% WW bread)
- 1 table spoon peanut butter (Blue Menu)
- 1 Table spoon Jam (club pack no name Apple and Strawberry)
-1 cup skim milk (foremost Daries Skim Milk)

Meal 5 (Dinner) Turkey burger
- 4oz lean ground turkey (i use extra lean ground turkey, it's better)
- 2 table spoons Salsa (no name, it's good enough and cheap)
- 2 table spoons red onion, chopped
- 1 whole grain hamberger bun (use whole wheat wonder buns)

I had to sub things out to make my grocery list bigger so i can buy for more then 1 week. That's about 100$ there for a week of healthy eating. That's 1475 cals per day diet, so i'm going to be adding a few more things to my meals (like a banana, 1 more cup skim milk, etc) because 1475 is WAYY TOO LOW. I should be eating at a 2000 cal per day pace.
Id recommend getting more calories and good fats in for breakfast. I used to not eat breakfast before I got serious about losing my gut and boy does it make a difference.

Since I dont eat late at night im already looking forward to that big breakfast the next morning. Thats the great thing about eating breakfast is your body needs it to replenish from sleeping and you will use that energy throughout the day as well.

Ill eat 2 whole grain waffles, a big ol bowl of Special k Protein with almond milk and have a banana too. Sometimes Ill throw some turkey bacon in there too. Ill finish it off with a multivitamin and get a 30 oz glass of water in me I'm set for the day. It really doesn regulate how hungry you are throughout the day so always remember that is where you can get away with eating carbs and fats, because your body will utilize them.

Cant stress drinking water enough too and literally not drinking anything with sugar in it. I read that half your body weight in flouid oz is ideal when your on a vigorous workout plan(like insanity) so drinking all that water really pays off..Im talking ill carry around a gallon of water with me(120 ounces) to make sure I get all I need.

TheGreatPenguino is offline  
Old
01-14-2013, 12:01 AM
  #842
TheGreatPenguino
Registered User
 
TheGreatPenguino's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 130
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnniewalker View Post
I just wanted to chime in on this, because I've followed this thread for a while now and you have seemed to bounce on and off the wagon a little bit over time. It is always a struggle to stick with exercising regularly as it is, and it is compounded in difficulty when you try to hold yourself to a very strict diet. If you are doing serious workouts ~5 days a week for 30+ minutes or so each day, you likely don't need to be quite that strict about your diet.

Getting your body to a healthy weight is a lifestyle change and should be something that you are working towards making permanent. The more rigid and inflexible that you make your diet and exercise plan, the more quickly you will come to hate it and have a hard time sticking to it.

These plans like P90X and Insanity are effective, and great at producing fast results, but I would just say that you should always be working to get yourself into a routine that you believe that you can hold to for the rest of your life. Anything that you don't see yourself doing for good is something you should probably not bother with now (i.e. Shakeology, 1450 calorie diets, and other unsustainable things like that)

So, in other words, everything you are doing/saying so far is great, and it sounds like it will work and be effective, but you may be going into this a little too strongly. Maybe this is how you need to do it to make the lifestyle change, but for me I would just work into it a little more gradually. Just start off working out via the DVDs and start to make healthy choices in your diet. Switch to skim milk and other low-fat dairy products. Read labels and avoid things super high in calories. Don't completely gorge yourself when you have meals. Don't drink a 6-pack every other day. Pick the salad instead of the burger sometimes when you have the choice.

P.S. What you are doing is awesome, and I hope you don't take this the wrong way. I mean to be encouraging, and I hope that you have great success with this. Myself, I have been working at being a healthier, more active and fit person for 3 years now and have had great results. I am not now and have not ever been ripped or been strong enough to lift a car, but I am in great shape, feel much better, have a much lower body fat percentage, much better blood pressure, etc. I realize that to look like I was chiseled out of stone, I would need to make sacrifices that I would prefer not to make. Maybe someday I will go that route, but for now I am very happy with the way I am, which was not the case before.
People think its corny when I say this but it is 100% true. Diets weren't meant to last, who plans on eating really well and exercising then just being done with it. I think thats most peoples problems with losing weight nowadays, they aren't in it for the long haul.

This sucks to say because I have never felt better in my life than I do now, get crazy amount of compliments and Im setting myself up to not have health issues when Im older. I wish I could say that for everyone but you just need the right motivation, hell even if its to prove someone wrong or to think of that one girl that turned you down. Getting going is the hardest part, sticking with it has been easy since seeing the results and I know Im never looking back.

TheGreatPenguino is offline  
Old
01-14-2013, 09:39 AM
  #843
Til the End of Time
Registered User
 
Til the End of Time's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Buenos Aires
Posts: 6,998
vCash: 500
kinda ot but i met jeremy lin the other day, i'm friends with a dude who went to college with him so we met him after a basketball game. i know nothing about basketball, so in addition to talking about females we talked about lifting.

he said he was into free weight in college, when he was trying to bulk up a bit. he's still trying to gain more muscle now, but he said that the trainers are kinda anti-free weights. they live in constant fear of a muscle pull/injury from lifting. i guess that makes sense, because even a minor injury could totally mess up a franchises season. said the trainers always have them lifting with bands, which i guess are safer.

kinda interesting, i always wondered why you never see nhl players doing any kind of free weight stuff. they always seem to be doing strange lifts with bands and other such things. guess fear of injury is part of the reason why.

Til the End of Time is offline  
Old
01-14-2013, 11:02 AM
  #844
Shady Machine
Registered User
 
Shady Machine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 12,203
vCash: 500
Eat more veggies 66.

Shady Machine is offline  
Old
01-14-2013, 11:05 AM
  #845
Darth Vitale
Moderator
Transitional Period
 
Darth Vitale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Fangorn
Country: United States
Posts: 25,449
vCash: 500
I am doing a very rigorous 1 long set of push-ups and 1 set of pull-ups workout every 7-10 days with no cardio and too many rich foods, in order to stay in peak condition (and probably die of a stress-induced heart attack when I'm 46... I hope you guys speak well of me after I'm gone).

Darth Vitale is offline  
Old
01-14-2013, 11:08 AM
  #846
Mr Jiggyfly
Registered User
 
Mr Jiggyfly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 14,395
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chancellor Vitale View Post
I am doing a very rigorous 1 long set of push-ups and 1 set of pull-ups workout every 7-10 days with no cardio and too many rich foods, in order to stay in peak condition (and probably die of a stress-induced heart attack when I'm 46... I hope you guys speak well of me after I'm gone).
Impressive. Most people can't do one pull up let alone a whole set.

Do you have a custom holster for the gunz?

Mr Jiggyfly is offline  
Old
01-14-2013, 06:03 PM
  #847
66-29-33
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Victoria, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 29,506
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnniewalker View Post
I just wanted to chime in on this, because I've followed this thread for a while now and you have seemed to bounce on and off the wagon a little bit over time. It is always a struggle to stick with exercising regularly as it is, and it is compounded in difficulty when you try to hold yourself to a very strict diet. If you are doing serious workouts ~5 days a week for 30+ minutes or so each day, you likely don't need to be quite that strict about your diet.

Getting your body to a healthy weight is a lifestyle change and should be something that you are working towards making permanent. The more rigid and inflexible that you make your diet and exercise plan, the more quickly you will come to hate it and have a hard time sticking to it.

These plans like P90X and Insanity are effective, and great at producing fast results, but I would just say that you should always be working to get yourself into a routine that you believe that you can hold to for the rest of your life. Anything that you don't see yourself doing for good is something you should probably not bother with now (i.e. Shakeology, 1450 calorie diets, and other unsustainable things like that)

So, in other words, everything you are doing/saying so far is great, and it sounds like it will work and be effective, but you may be going into this a little too strongly. Maybe this is how you need to do it to make the lifestyle change, but for me I would just work into it a little more gradually. Just start off working out via the DVDs and start to make healthy choices in your diet. Switch to skim milk and other low-fat dairy products. Read labels and avoid things super high in calories. Don't completely gorge yourself when you have meals. Don't drink a 6-pack every other day. Pick the salad instead of the burger sometimes when you have the choice.

P.S. What you are doing is awesome, and I hope you don't take this the wrong way. I mean to be encouraging, and I hope that you have great success with this. Myself, I have been working at being a healthier, more active and fit person for 3 years now and have had great results. I am not now and have not ever been ripped or been strong enough to lift a car, but I am in great shape, feel much better, have a much lower body fat percentage, much better blood pressure, etc. I realize that to look like I was chiseled out of stone, I would need to make sacrifices that I would prefer not to make. Maybe someday I will go that route, but for now I am very happy with the way I am, which was not the case before.
I'm going to succeed because i'm already doing things i NEVER did with P90X. I got a meal plan journal, write all the cals, add them up. I got a workout calendar i am using. P90X all i did was do the workouts, and forgot to do the other things. My favourite workout for P90X was Plyometrics, because it was all cardio which is Insanity! I'll be waking up at 6AM every day off i have for breakfast (P90X i ate at my own schedule, so 1-3 meals a day only), 5AM on my work days (i work at 6AM). I got this! I read somewhere that those karate masters are always improving, they say Karate is something that takes a lifetime to learn, the moment you start reaching your goals is when most people decide "that's enough", and i want to take it that way. Working out/nutrition is a way of life, and i plan on making it my way of life. I hate cooking, so i'll make things easier and have easy meals all the time that even i can make, and bring with me. Insanity? it's for me, i like breaking a sweat.

Today was "officially" day 1, so i treated it like day 1 and took fit test again, noticed the numbers actually grew. Less breaks i took then the first time i took it. My dad is 58 almost and 345 pounds, i don't want to be a heavily obese guy my whole life, i need a CHANGE! I don't want this because girls will like me better, i don't want this to prove people "wrong", i want this because i've gone almost my entire life a big guy (started getting weight since grade 4, was always skinny before), i know how hard it is to get around, i don't wanna look at myself say....30 years from now a massivly obese 500 pound guy wishing i did something about it 30 years ago. I want things done right NOW! I wanna have the energy where i can do anything i want for as long as i want and more (when i learn to push past my limits in any/everything, it will be a lifetime journey tbh). This is why this time around, i'm going all out balls to the wall and finally ending my nightmare.

66-29-33 is offline  
Old
01-14-2013, 06:55 PM
  #848
UnrealMachine
Registered User
 
UnrealMachine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Pittsburgh, USA
Country: United States
Posts: 1,332
vCash: 500
I just got a 40lb weighted vest (the ZFO brand is surprisingly affordable on ebay and seems to be of respectable quality). I've never liked or done burpees very much because the couple of times I tried them they overworked my legs and underworked my upper body (I do explosive jumps and not those s*** ones where one only jumps 1" off the ground). The weighted vest really evens that out and makes the push up portion rather hard, despite subtracting ~2" ROM from the vest. Anyway, I was only able to do 52 in 10 minutes with the vest on. Hoping to get towards 100 by the end of the year. Good investments if you want to kick up the intensity and cut down on the reps/time.

UnrealMachine is offline  
Old
01-20-2013, 11:24 PM
  #849
66-29-33
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Victoria, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 29,506
vCash: 500
Todays my Day 7 rest day and i am 12 pounds lighter. I checked the scale yesterday before i worked out and it was the hardest workout i ever did, i literally brought it for Plyometric Cardio Circuit (my favourite one to do). First 10 minutes i was dripping sweat all over the floor in my own pool of sweat that i thought was more a metaphor for just sweat covering your body making "pools", hell no it ain't no metaphor! What kept me going strong and having no Quit? Pens won 3-1 over Flyers, Hockey is back, i lost 12 pounds. Lots and lot of yelling in that room i was in, because how hard i was pushing myself to exhaustion. Then i walked to my apartment which took 1 hr 10 mins. Tomorrow (Monday) i'm doing Pure Cardio, and i plan to kick it's ass, although i can't promise proper form as i'll be drained....but i can say there will be tons of sweat, and pain, and since i've yet to have a workout that has not left me feeling like the best person in the world...i'll also say there will also be that. Bring it on Insanity, i'm so glad we met, i just LOVE this program!

edit- I only had 3 breaks on Saturday....

66-29-33 is offline  
Old
01-21-2013, 06:28 AM
  #850
HandshakeLine
is probso trolling u
 
HandshakeLine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Country: Czech_ Republic
Posts: 18,069
vCash: 500
Burpees are brutal, especially if you have joint problems. I try to do a couple sets once a week, but any more than that and the strain on my shoulders is too much.

What I prefer, for explosive strength, are kettlebells. At my judo club, we usually alternate between bodyweight conditioning, cardio, and kettlebells/pullups/ropework/olympic lifting as tournaments come around.

HandshakeLine is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:23 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.