HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Workout Thread

Closed Thread

Old
05-15-2013, 05:08 PM
Jacques G
Glassic

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpp9 View Post
I'm in dire need of a proper diet. I workout every day. Mostly the basic push ups, pull ups and core work. But my metabolism has gone to **** the last couple years. Can't seem to lose weight. I'm 5'9, 160. Trying to get back down to 145-150 range.
You can do a ton by throttling back on the carbs. You don't even have to go "low carb", just go less carb. Pasta, bread, and rice are all just empty calories. Alcohol too. Spaghetti squash has become a mainstay in my diet because with tomato sauce, the texture is almost identical to al dente angel hair pasta. I have also made bread using coconut oil and almond flour, you can find a recipe if you google it.

I also keep almonds around to snack on as opposed to chips.

Old
05-15-2013, 05:45 PM
Jacob

Carbs don't make you fat, calories do.

Old
05-15-2013, 06:39 PM
IRONCITY63
Rookie User

exactly

Old
05-15-2013, 06:40 PM
Jacques G
Glassic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob View Post
I know. My point was that you can get more mileage from fat and protein than you can from bread and pasta.

Old
05-15-2013, 06:53 PM
open0rclosed

I love reading this thread. I just had to tell this story somewhere because I can't get over it. although i probably should, ha.

I go to gym 5 days a week and Les Mills Body Pump twice a week. Two weeks ago, I was at class early and a young woman about my age (23-26 ish) came in and introduced herself to the instructor and said she was new to the gym and new to the class and really nervous. The instructor helped her set up, and I wasn't paying much attention but I'm assuming the girl did okay through the class. In the locker room, two of the normal Body Pump attendees (also my age) were talking about the class, and one of them remarked she had a horrible workout during class because she couldn't get in zone, her friend replied "well at least you did better than the new girl in front of us!" just at that moment, i noticed the new class attendee in the row of lockers over packing her bag, probably hearing every word. she left the locker room and hasn't been back to class since. it was like something out of a teen movie seriously. and i haven't seen her at the gym. i even asked instructor and she hasn't seen her. SO MAD. and so sad for her. i said something to those two jerks. but, ugh. of course, the new girl could have hated class or maybe she goes to night classes or something, but still.

people with bad, condescending attitudes about new gymgoers is one of the things that will never cease to royally piss me off, and i'm a fairly calm person. everyone has to start somewhere. not that i've seen any of that in this thread. i love how encouraging the thread is, i just had to type all this out. haha.

/rant over

Old
05-15-2013, 07:07 PM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

Send a message via AIM to ColePens
Yeah... gyms suck for that reason. I'm fortunate enough to have been trained particularly for hockey so I am motivated and know a good workout. Plus, I just take stuff current NHL players/tennis players do and apply it to my own.

But for someone wanting to start out... **** off. No need for that typical gym attitude. It's pathetic.

Old
05-15-2013, 07:30 PM
Jacques G
Glassic

Quote:
Originally Posted by open0rclosed View Post
I love reading this thread. I just had to tell this story somewhere because I can't get over it. although i probably should, ha.

I go to gym 5 days a week and Les Mills Body Pump twice a week. Two weeks ago, I was at class early and a young woman about my age (23-26 ish) came in and introduced herself to the instructor and said she was new to the gym and new to the class and really nervous. The instructor helped her set up, and I wasn't paying much attention but I'm assuming the girl did okay through the class. In the locker room, two of the normal Body Pump attendees (also my age) were talking about the class, and one of them remarked she had a horrible workout during class because she couldn't get in zone, her friend replied "well at least you did better than the new girl in front of us!" just at that moment, i noticed the new class attendee in the row of lockers over packing her bag, probably hearing every word. she left the locker room and hasn't been back to class since. it was like something out of a teen movie seriously. and i haven't seen her at the gym. i even asked instructor and she hasn't seen her. SO MAD. and so sad for her. i said something to those two jerks. but, ugh. of course, the new girl could have hated class or maybe she goes to night classes or something, but still.

people with bad, condescending attitudes about new gymgoers is one of the things that will never cease to royally piss me off, and i'm a fairly calm person. everyone has to start somewhere. not that i've seen any of that in this thread. i love how encouraging the thread is, i just had to type all this out. haha.

/rant over
Gym heroes are ****ing pathetic. The saddest part is that they live to be the hottest chick or strongest dude at their gym. I have seen dudes taking tren and anabol and **** that could kill a damn horse... just so they could get big. They didn't even compete... they just wanted to be able to flex in front of the mirrors at the gym. Such a small existence.

Old
05-15-2013, 07:43 PM
eXile59
Shirts on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacques G View Post
I don't even bother with the gym. Last summer I bought a power rack and olympic weight set and bench. I had a treadmill already and just added a stationary bike. Now I just crank the tunes and work out in my garage.

If you have a Play-It-Again-Sports near you, it's a great place to pick up second hand equipment.
I have a big attic so I do have my 300 pound set with bench. It's just not enough for me though because the roof is too low to do certain things. It is a nice bench but I feel like I need some more equipment. Especially for stuff like lats which I don't want to negotiate and look like a Gorilla.

Old
05-15-2013, 07:54 PM
Jacques G
Glassic

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXile59 View Post
I have a big attic so I do have my 300 pound set with bench. It's just not enough for me though because the roof is too low to do certain things. It is a nice bench but I feel like I need some more equipment. Especially for stuff like lats which I don't want to negotiate and look like a Gorilla.
Pull ups and bent over rows are all you really need for lats. You can get a doorway pull up bar for fairly cheap, or just go grizzly and use a tree branch.

Old
05-15-2013, 08:48 PM
UnrealMachine

I use these at work: http://www.amazon.com/Lifeline-Power...8668461&sr=8-3

Makes it harder as well because you can't bend your knees/body forward. Works well for both pull ups and chin ups. Pretty strong to boot as I use a belt with 75lbs and they hold up just fine. There are plenty of ways to do pull ups at home but I just wanted to add this one in, especially for those with their own office.

Old
05-21-2013, 05:12 PM
Randy Butternubs
Makin Bacon Pancakes

I just did that. Doesn't seem too bad, but I worked up a real good sweat.

Old
05-21-2013, 05:46 PM
wej20

What's a butt kick?

Old
05-21-2013, 07:41 PM
Randy Butternubs
Makin Bacon Pancakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by wej20 View Post
What's a butt kick?
You run in place, but with each step you hit your butt with the back of your heel.

Old
05-21-2013, 10:54 PM
66-29-33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Butternubs View Post

Make sure you don't stop, or what's the point? just keep on going, even if you're covered in sweat. PUSH DAMNIT, PUSH!

Old
05-22-2013, 10:11 AM
cassius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob View Post
A carb is a calorie..

Old
05-22-2013, 10:52 AM
shizno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Butternubs View Post

Not trying to be king dingaling as I don't even go to the gym but that looks like a warm up...

Old
05-22-2013, 11:43 AM
Penguins23
Le Magnifique

Anyone ever use a deck of cards to work out? There's different ways to do. Some people do like diamonds is burpee, clubs is pushups, etc and the number you have to do is the value of the card. I use it strictly for push ups. I take breaks whenever I want but I try to finish the deck in a day. That's almost 400 push ups a day though.

05-22-2013, 12:40 PM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

Send a message via AIM to ColePens
I won't ever do a "burpee" because it's the most ridiculous name for an exercise ever.

Old
05-22-2013, 12:45 PM
Jeremyisgood

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassius View Post
A carb is a calorie..
The point is controlling the calorie intake, not the carb intake. Excess carbs will just lead to water weight. Excess calories lead to actual fat.

Old
05-22-2013, 12:49 PM
Richard

I get up at 4:30 and head to the local high school track which opens at 5am. I do this workout, Monday interval (3 1/2 mile at 3 minutes, 3 1/4 at 1:30 and finish with 4 1/8 mile at .45 seconds), Tuesday is 2 mile run with stadium steps, Weds is interval again and finally Thursday is 4 mile run.

Friday through sunday is a 5k jog (VERY VERY EASY PACE)

I do 30 pull-ups in sets of 10 a day and 100 push-ups before bed.

Economical but I'm getting seriously older now so I need to do some sit-ups. Office laughs at me every morning as I sit with my ice packs on each shin and knee ha

Old
05-22-2013, 01:25 PM
Syrinx
Heh...

vCash: 50
My gym pet peeves:

1 - People talking on the phone - There are signs all over regarding no phone use on the floor.

2 - Campers - One guy will spend 45 minutes on the leg press machine playing on his phone and doing a set every 10-15 minutes. He does it on other machines as well but that is the only machine I use. He gets pissed if you ask if you can work through.

3 - People who don't clean up after themselves.

What are some others so I, a noob in the gym, can avoid making stupid mistakes?

Old
05-22-2013, 02:44 PM
ZapRowsdower13
FROstige Worldwide!

Send a message via AIM to ZapRowsdower13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syrinx View Post
My gym pet peeves:

1 - People talking on the phone - There are signs all over regarding no phone use on the floor.

2 - Campers - One guy will spend 45 minutes on the leg press machine playing on his phone and doing a set every 10-15 minutes. He does it on other machines as well but that is the only machine I use. He gets pissed if you ask if you can work through.

3 - People who don't clean up after themselves.

What are some others so I, a noob in the gym, can avoid making stupid mistakes?
1 - if they're not camping on a machine that's fine by me, I don't really see it as a problem. I'm not one to talk on the phone but I'll text between a set. If I do use my phone between a set I get up and move away from the machine so someone else can use it or if its something I'm gonna be on a bit I wait til a better time.

2 - As I said above if he's doing a few presses, playing on his phone for 10 mins that's uncalled for. If he's doing a set, then on his phone for a minuite thats fine bc its same as him just resting between sets, only he's using his phone.

3 - Da worst! Especially when you want to use what ever thing he/she just had. When you're looking for dumbbells of a certain weight and only one is there bc some joker has it half way across the gym is terrible.

Otherwise just be respectful. If you see a machine with weigths on it standby, stretch and keep a look out to see if someone might be getting a drink. Ask someone nearby if someones on it. If you see them in the distance on their phone try to make eye contact and look/point at the machine and get to using it. Leg machines are the worst when you have it loaded up and by getting a drink someone just starts unloading it.

Ask for a spot if you need it or think you might need it at the end of your workout. Finding someone who spots you the correct way can be tricky at times, if they don't know how bc they're new to the gym thats fine but the beefed up gym rats who give attitude or make it seem like spotting is beneath them grind my gears.

Finally don't drop weights. I understand some excercises you'll be gassed and need to let them down quickly but for the most part try not to drop/throw weights. Someone can get hurt and you look like a jerk.

Old
05-22-2013, 02:50 PM
VirginiaBob

My method is sitting at my desk all day at work and not moving a muscle. Then, when I get home from work, I do lots of button pressing on the remote control. And don't forget binge eating. Thanks to heredity, I still look 95% better than most people and my blood pressure and cholesterol are low as well.

Old
05-22-2013, 02:51 PM
Randy Butternubs
Makin Bacon Pancakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by shizno View Post
Not trying to be king dingaling as I don't even go to the gym but that looks like a warm up...
Well, I was already sore and tired from indoor soccer so that had some part to do with it. But seriously give it a try. Wall sits were the worst.

Old
05-22-2013, 02:54 PM
FDBluth

The worst thing about the gym is 80% of the guys that are in there. Makes me hate going to every workout.

Closed Thread