HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Wheelin' and Dealin' with Ray Shero

Old
01-27-2011, 07:23 AM
MrBurgundy
Time to move forward

vCash: 500

Here's a great article about Ray Shero on PittsburghMagazine.com

Here are some excerpts...

Quote:
"I say this every year, 'This might be the year we don’t do anything.' But, really, this might be the year we don’t do anything."
Quote:
When someone says something about Evgeni, I mean *points up to the rafters at CONSOL Energy Center*, there’s the Stanley Cup banner.”
Quote:
Some guys have a really bad game and they get a one! Tough. What are they gonna do, call their mom? This is hockey. They'll get over it.

MrBurgundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 07:48 AM
Tender Rip
#Haz supa line mates

Thanks for that! Nice read.

Tender Rip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 07:53 AM
Mario_is_BACK!!
ACK! ACK ACK! ACK!!!

Send a message via AIM to Mario_is_BACK!! Send a message via MSN to Mario_is_BACK!!
Wow. Great interview from both sides of the coin.

Mario_is_BACK!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 07:57 AM
eXile59
Shirts on.

Awesome read. Thanks!!

eXile59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 08:09 AM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Yeah, that article was a lot more interesting than I thought it was going to be.

Captain Hook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 08:19 AM
gopens66
Hockey&Literature!

Great read! It's also good to know that it doesn't sound like Ray is likely to give Sid one of those ridiculously long contracts, and that he may or may not make a deal this deadline.

gopens66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 08:39 AM
Chraa

Quote:
In Dan’s first game behind the bench, we lost in a shootout on Long Island. On the plane home after the game—this is how much of an “interim” coach he was—Dan walked up and gave me a tug on my sleeve and said, “Umm, Ray … Am I coaching practice tomorrow?” I think we all know how that season turned out.

Chraa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 08:51 AM
Jrtu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chraa View Post
In Dan’s first game behind the bench, we lost in a shootout on Long Island. On the plane home after the game—this is how much of an “interim” coach he was—Dan walked up and gave me a tug on my sleeve and said, “Umm, Ray … Am I coaching practice tomorrow?” I think we all know how that season turned out.
LOL.
this too is my fav quote from this read.
Great stuff!

Jrtu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 08:56 AM
Aud Won*

Interesting read.

Aud Won* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 08:56 AM
Milliardo

I love when a GM reveals how it REALLY is.

Milliardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 09:29 AM
Darth Vitale
Dark Matter

Common Rossi, time to put our your article saying how ridiculous the idea of trading Malkin is and you felt that way all along!

Darth Vitale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 09:31 AM
Aud Won*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkochalek View Post
Common Rossi, time to put our your article saying how ridiculous the idea of trading Malkin is and you felt that way all along!

Not to get off the subject but your avatar cracks me up. I love it!

Aud Won* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 09:38 AM
laufer72
Ashburton Grove

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aud Won View Post
"There's a lot of guy don't care...."

laufer72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 09:40 AM
Riggs
Kaptain

Thanks for the link!

I really enjoyed the part about Lombardi calling him. That's great!

Riggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 09:41 AM
pens83*

O great dupuis might continue to play on the top line! Come on ray just trade for a wingers to take dupuis spot

pens83* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 10:12 AM
GlenngarryGlencross
Get the chalk!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pens83 View Post
O great dupuis might continue to play on the top line! Come on ray just trade for a wingers to take dupuis spot
I think this is the kind of attitude that misses Shero's whole perspective when it comes to trades. That is, a deal has to be on the table and it has to definitively make the team better. We can wish Shero would turn chicken**** into pot pie but if no other team wants what we have to offer then that's the end of it. This team is playing too well to be cornered into a desperation move.

One thing I take away from this article is how strong of a personality Shero seems to have. This team has very clearly been molded into his vision and I don't think he gives a second thought to the "we need a winger!" whining. If a free agent is available and/or a trade makes sense, he'll pull the trigger - if not, we stand pat with our assets. I like that approach. I also don't think he would indulge a player (even Sid) approaching him about making roster moves, only management can exert that kind of pressure.

GlenngarryGlencross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 10:12 AM
Darth Vitale
Dark Matter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aud Won View Post

They's not WUN GUY who was close to do something about de avatar... maybe... Maxim Talbutt... about 5 foot 8... was close to doing something. *pbtpbtpt* I had to find so-looshun.

Darth Vitale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 10:57 AM
SkullSplitter

There's so little in the way of cap room, it probably is the year they do nothing.

Next year, there will probably be a million or two, and RS will be able to swing something.

SkullSplitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 11:03 AM
Genetic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkochalek View Post
They's not WUN GUY who was close to do something about de avatar... maybe... Maxim Talbutt... about 5 foot 8... was close to doing something. *pbtpbtpt* I had to find so-looshun.

Genetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 11:57 AM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Iron Proficient

Good article. I'll never understand any Pens fan who criticizes Shero - he's been a godsend for this organization.

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 12:03 PM
MrBurgundy
Time to move forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Champagne Wishes View Post
Good article. I'll never understand any Pens fan who criticizes Shero - he's been a godsend for this organization.
Somebody should make him the Pirates GM too...

MrBurgundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 12:33 PM
pens83*

I dont think Craig Patrick gets ANY credit for the Pens winning the Cup. Let's be serious, when Shero was hired, many of the key pieces were already here. Gonch, Talbot, Malone, Crosby, Orpik. Fleury, Malkin, etc. There is no way we would have won the cup without Crosby and Malkin, obviously. Shero did bring in some key pieces, but i dont think he should get all of the credit...That is all that I am saying.

craig patrick made some bone headed trades after we won the 2 cups. The Jagr trade was simply inexcusable. But give the guy some credit.

Old
01-27-2011, 12:39 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Iron Proficient

Quote:
I dont think Craig Patrick gets ANY credit for the Pens winning the Cup. Let's be serious, when Shero was hired, many of the key pieces were already here. Gonch, Talbot, Malone, Crosby, Orpik. Fleury, Malkin, etc. There is no way we would have won the cup without Crosby and Malkin, obviously. Shero did bring in some key pieces, but i dont think he should get all of the credit...That is all that I am saying.

craig patrick made some bone headed trades after we won the 2 cups. The Jagr trade was simply inexcusable. But give the guy some credit.
Patrick deserves some credit, but certainly not for all the lottery picks. I could've guided the Pens to those.

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 01:35 PM
pens83*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Champagne Wishes View Post
Patrick deserves some credit, but certainly not for all the lottery picks. I could've guided the Pens to those.
True, but the guy couldnt do a whole lot considering the financial constraints of the Pens. He put a bunch of solid teams together in the late 90's despite financial contraints and constantly had to trade expensive players. After 2001, Craig Patrick pretty much was like Garth Snow. The team's future was in jeopardy and he could not sign big name free agents unless he drastically overpaid them. That is why he was stuck signing guys like Palffy and LeClair and then had to throw $25 million at Gonch. The Naslund and Jagr trades were awful. Patrick also didnt really draft well in the mid to late 90's.

Who knows if Shero would have selected Malkin with the #2 overall pick if he was the GM then. He did take Staal over some great players with the #2 pick a couple of years ago.

Just give Patrick some credit...Shero gets way too much credit for the Cup

Old
01-27-2011, 01:48 PM
wej20

Quote:
True, but the guy couldnt do a whole lot considering the financial constraints of the Pens. He put a bunch of solid teams together in the late 90's despite financial contraints and constantly had to trade expensive players. After 2001, Craig Patrick pretty much was like Garth Snow. The team's future was in jeopardy and he could not sign big name free agents unless he drastically overpaid them. That is why he was stuck signing guys like Palffy and LeClair and then had to throw $25 million at Gonch. The Naslund and Jagr trades were awful. Patrick also didnt really draft well in the mid to late 90's.

Who knows if Shero would have selected Malkin with the #2 overall pick if he was the GM then. He did take Staal over some great players with the #2 pick a couple of years ago.

Just give Patrick some credit...Shero gets way too much credit for the Cup
Malkin was the consensus #2 whereas there wasn't a consensus #2 in the 06 Draft.

wej20 is online now   Reply With Quote