HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Notices

Trading alfie? hah. fawgetaboutit

Old
03-02-2011, 03:20 PM
heater123

vCash: 500
Trading alfie? hah. fawgetaboutit

"I would love to win a Stanley Cup, but not by going to another team."

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=356159

All haters: please go to leafs forum

heater123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 03:24 PM
FolignoQuantumLeap
A mad Mup

I guess this will put all that post trade deadline trade speculation to rest.

FolignoQuantumLeap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 03:26 PM
The Waffler
Can wipe my own ass!

Good.

The Waffler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 04:05 PM
Derivation

Glad that's the case. I don't understand why he is so determined to play this year though. For what? I'd much rather see the youngsters get ice time regardless of W-L's and let them gain some experience. Alfy should focus on rehabilitation and the summer to workout and hopefully be prepared to play 70+ games for one more time in his tremendous and exceptional career.

Derivation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 04:15 PM
Madskillz65

I like the way he thinks...

Madskillz65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 04:50 PM
internetdotcom
11 + 15 + 19 = 666

Send a message via MSN to internetdotcom Send a message via Yahoo to internetdotcom
Glad to hear it. That's Alfie, loyal to the end. And the fact is, his value to this team as a mentor to the young kids (as well as his on-ice play) are FAR more than anything we would get in a trade for him. I just feel for him that he's not likely to win the Cup he so richly has earned.

internetdotcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 05:00 PM
koreaboy

our last window to trade alfie was after that last disastrous loss to the leafs in the playoffs. that was when his trade value would have still been good, and when we could have justified it to our fanbase. but then he came back, and after a couple of years he carried us on his back to a cup finals. by now, he's simply been here too long and he is too much of a fixture in this franchise for us to ever move him.

he is mr. ottawa senator, he will retire a senator, and then have a guaranteed job in the organization when he does.

koreaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 05:24 PM
PeterSidorkiewicz
Original *** allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by internetdotcom View Post
Glad to hear it. That's Alfie, loyal to the end. And the fact is, his value to this team as a mentor to the young kids (as well as his on-ice play) are FAR more than anything we would get in a trade for him. I just feel for him that he's not likely to win the Cup he so richly has earned.
Sort of stereotyping big time, but me and my buddy were talking about it seems that like Swedes value loyalty big time, it just seems very important to them, and also sorta made the comment it seems like more Russians have a mercenary style attitude when it comes to teams. Once again its kind of a major stereotype but may hold kinda true.

PeterSidorkiewicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 05:36 PM
internetdotcom
11 + 15 + 19 = 666

Send a message via MSN to internetdotcom Send a message via Yahoo to internetdotcom
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterSidorkiewicz View Post
Sort of stereotyping big time, but me and my buddy were talking about it seems that like Swedes value loyalty big time, it just seems very important to them, and also sorta made the comment it seems like more Russians have a mercenary style attitude when it comes to teams. Once again its kind of a major stereotype but may hold kinda true.
It's a stereotype for sure, but when I think about loyalty, Swedes come to mind a lot more easily (Alfie, Lidstrom, etc) than Russians (Yashin, all the Russians who use the KHL as leverage, etc.).

internetdotcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 05:36 PM
SensFan26

Quote:
Even look at Sundin, he didn't want to leave Toronto at all but the Leafs didn't want him..

SensFan26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 06:07 PM
enviro61

I wish I had an ounce of his selfless character. That guy is a true leader..inspiring

enviro61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 07:03 PM
CanadianHockey
Smith - Alfie

vCash: 2391
OT: Quick comment, been bugging me recently. I realize that holding out hurts your image, but it seems like Yashin and Russians get a bad rap for it when plenty of non-Russians have done the same, and nobody seems to hold it to them.

Off the top of my head: Demitra held out on us. Pierre Turgeon held out. Bill Guerin held out twice.

That said, I'm glad Alfie is choosing to remain a Senator. He deserves to end his career as he wants.

CanadianHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 07:05 PM
CanadianHockey
Smith - Alfie

vCash: 2391
Quote:
Originally Posted by SensFan26 View Post
Even look at Sundin, he didn't want to leave Toronto at all but the Leafs didn't want him..
I never understood why Toronto's fanbase did this. Then the Phillips situation happened... and I still don't get it. If a player wants to stay, let him stay. Don't criticize him for not pulling a Tkachuk.

CanadianHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 08:38 PM
Jared Cowen 2010

He'll die a Senator, and he'll have no other way.

Jared Cowen 2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 08:41 PM
Rumcajs

Que Michael Scott yelling NO...(to him being traded).

Rumcajs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 08:43 PM
Sensfanman

Quote:
Quote:
It's a stereotype for sure, but when I think about loyalty, Swedes come to mind a lot more easily (Alfie, Lidstrom, etc) than Russians (Yashin, all the Russians who use the KHL as leverage, etc.).
It's a Scandinavian thing. They really value the community and place it before the individual. It's a cultural thing that is quite strong. Some younger generation are starting to rebel and the loosened immigration policy allowed an influx of people who don't share that cultural value, weakening the whole.

Basically, Swedes traditionally frown upon boasting and the "me first" mentality.

"Generally used colloquially as a sociological term to negatively describe an attitude towards individuality and success claimed to be common in Scandinavia, the term refers to a snide, jealous and narrow mentality which refuses to acknowledge individual effort and places all emphasis on the collective, while punishing those who stand out as achievers."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jante_Law

Of course it's not THAT intense but it's there. A very insightful poster went on it at length during the World Juniors as part of why Sweden was pissed at Canada due to the smugness we have when it comes to that tournament.

Last edited by Sensfanman: 03-02-2011 at 08:49 PM.
Sensfanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2011, 12:18 AM
Derivation

DO you guys think he'll serve beverages or scan tickets, or something a little higher up such as make sure players are paying their taxes or deal with foreign affairs?

Derivation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2011, 11:11 AM
Proust

Quote:
Originally Posted by theyellowsub View Post
DO you guys think he'll serve beverages or scan tickets, or something a little higher up such as make sure players are paying their taxes or deal with foreign affairs?
Honestly, I could really see him being an equipment manager if he plays his cards right.

Proust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2011, 11:16 AM
Bodacious

Quote:
Originally Posted by SensFan26 View Post
So now the Sens have the "Gatineau 3" Alfie, Spezza, Phillips - guys that will not waive their NTC.

Bodacious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2011, 11:40 AM
OmniSens
@OmniSenators

vCash: 106
Send a message via Skype™ to OmniSens
Maybe its because his back is hurt and doesn't feel like moving. Too many boxes in the Alfredsson's home!

OmniSens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2011, 10:30 PM
Proust

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmniSens View Post
Maybe its because his back is hurt and doesn't feel like moving. Too many boxes in the Alfredsson's home!
It's really only his wife, since he has no daughters...

Proust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2011, 06:42 AM
Droc
Classless

Quote:
Forsberg on the other hand went to whoever waved th most money infront of his face.

Droc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2011, 08:08 AM
kyle747

Quote:
Originally Posted by theyellowsub View Post
Glad that's the case. I don't understand why he is so determined to play this year though. For what? I'd much rather see the youngsters get ice time regardless of W-L's and let them gain some experience. Alfy should focus on rehabilitation and the summer to workout and hopefully be prepared to play 70+ games for one more time in his tremendous and exceptional career.
The question is the answer - he'd be out there hoping on a broken leg if he could. He's come back from other injuries in record time, I guess that's just how he's wired.

And the thought of trading him or Philips always made me queasy. Cup or no cup, being a Senator will be his legacy, and every future Captain will be measured against him.

Besides, I don't see why he shouldn't have 2 or even 3 good years left in him. The guy was leading all forwards in points when he went down with injury.

If we get a coach that is capable of limiting his defensive time on-ice and leave him to a more offensive role I think his effectiveness would be increased.

kyle747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2011, 12:42 PM
Iamok
#Panic

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle747 View Post
The question is the answer - he'd be out there hoping on a broken leg if he could. He's come back from other injuries in record time, I guess that's just how he's wired.

And the thought of trading him or Philips always made me queasy. Cup or no cup, being a Senator will be his legacy, and every future Captain will be measured against him.

Besides, I don't see why he shouldn't have 2 or even 3 good years left in him. The guy was leading all forwards in points when he went down with injury.

If we get a coach that is capable of limiting his defensive time on-ice and leave him to a more offensive role I think his effectiveness would be increased.
It's not his lack of talent that's his problem. His body just isn't capable of holding up anymore. I see him coming back next season, but I'd say he retires after that.

Iamok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2011, 12:45 PM
TheHMan

Has anyone ever considered that they're just icing him for the year because we're tanking? No point in forcing him to play when there's nothing on the line.

It's been basically the same thing with every other player we've had since the midpoint of this year. Nobody is getting rushed back into the lineup now that we've stripped down the roster.

TheHMan is offline   Reply With Quote