HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Louis Leblanc

Old
03-15-2011, 03:57 PM
Crusher20

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Crusher20 Send a message via Yahoo to Crusher20
In my opinion leblanc has what i call: nhl style skills... wich means he does things pros do.. knows where pro are positioned, knows where a pro would pass and so on... not worried his preseason and raw wjc tournement convinced me... its a matter of time.

Crusher20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2011, 04:30 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habaddict View Post
When you look at LL's stats this year, something stands out
to me. That is this 9 game pointless streak ,which seems
unusual, not only for this season , but for this players career.
If there was a specific problem during that time,injury,
illness or whatever , it seems to be over now. And if you edit
out even half that pointless streak,say 5 games,his stats are
actually OK.
The stat that worries me is pounds or kilos. It's always
difficult to get up to date data on players weights, but he's
no longer 18, and he seems small for 20.I'm hoping that,
without the need to train for WJC camp, he can do more
to build some muscles this summer.
He's listed at 179lbs most sites. I think in his NHL prime given his style of play, in order to be durable he'll have to fill out to 200-205lbs. That's 20-25lbs in the next 2-4 years.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2011, 04:46 PM
Goldthorpe
Meditating Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusher20 View Post
In my opinion leblanc has what i call: nhl style skills... wich means he does things pros do.. knows where pro are positioned, knows where a pro would pass and so on... not worried his preseason and raw wjc tournement convinced me... its a matter of time.
This is also my reading of him. It's understandable for people to focus on goals and assists, and Leblanc is an adequate offensive player in that regard, but it's everywhere else he shines the most, in all those essential skills that make the difference between an AHL all-star and a NHL pro. His work on the forecheck, his work along the boards, his positioning, his competitiveness. In many ways, he's a Higgins type of guy, although I don't think they really have the same kind of game (and I obviously wish Leblanc a better career). But the point is: every team need these kinds of guys. They are the glue you can put with your amazingly talented but flawed players to make them produce.

Goldthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2011, 04:57 PM
Habaddict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
He's listed at 179lbs most sites. I think in his NHL prime given his style of play, in order to be durable he'll have to fill out to 200-205lbs. That's 20-25lbs in the next 2-4 years.
It might be enough if he reaches 195 to 200 , because he
seems to play strong for his size. But not everyone finds it
easy to put on those muscles. In LL's case,I will be relieved
when I see some progress .
Of course,maybe I panic easily

Habaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2011, 05:26 PM
Zeroknowledge*

My comparaison for Leblanc is a Curtis Glencross type of player, can score 20 and chip in 40 and 50 on a good year, good grinder and can work the PK while also getting some PP time.

Zeroknowledge* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2011, 05:29 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habaddict View Post
It might be enough if he reaches 195 to 200 , because he
seems to play strong for his size. But not everyone finds it
easy to put on those muscles. In LL's case,I will be relieved
when I see some progress .
Of course,maybe I panic easily
You haven't seen progress?

He went from getting cut from Team Canada to a PPGM player at the WJHC, I'd say that's a nice step forward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldthorpe View Post
This is also my reading of him. It's understandable for people to focus on goals and assists, and Leblanc is an adequate offensive player in that regard, but it's everywhere else he shines the most, in all those essential skills that make the difference between an AHL all-star and a NHL pro. His work on the forecheck, his work along the boards, his positioning, his competitiveness. In many ways, he's a Higgins type of guy, although I don't think they really have the same kind of game (and I obviously wish Leblanc a better career). But the point is: every team need these kinds of guys. They are the glue you can put with your amazingly talented but flawed players to make them produce.
The "good" Higgins(06-07 and 07-08 version) is a good comparison...maybe Kirk Muller, though Muller started in the 80's where offensive numbers were a bit exagerated. Current NHL comparables, Morrow, Burrows and D.Brown.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeroknowledge View Post
My comparaison for Leblanc is a Curtis Glencross type of player, can score 20 and chip in 40 and 50 on a good year, good grinder and can work the PK while also getting some PP time.
Glencross' career high for points is 40, I think LeBlanc has a lot more offensive upside than that. He wasn't even a full time NHLer until he was 25.

Old
03-15-2011, 08:06 PM
Roulin

Quote:
Originally Posted by toshiro View Post
He is a better skater than those guys. Some players are late bloomers. Mike Gartner scored more in the nhl than he did in the CHL (or so he said).
You're right, LL is a very good skater. But he doesn't some of the other qualities that Getzlaf, Nash, Carter and Richards have. The most striking, IMO, are offensive vision and size.

Mike Gartner did score more points in the NHL, but only because of more games played per season. He scored at a higher rate in Niagara Falls than he ever did in the NHL. Even if one can find instances of a player's scoring rates going up in the pros compared juniors, it would definitely be the exception, not something to be expected.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
OMG, they had one point more every 5 or 6 games or so!!!! They CANNOT be spoken of in the same sentence !

Comparing Junior stats is futile, to say the least.

People once thought Plex would be nothing more than a 3rd line center. Just let the kid grow into his own and show what he can do. The difference in the NHL is not the talent, as much as it is between the player's ears.

Just look at Pac, many college players had much better stats at the same age (college), but there are some of them you don't even see in the NHL today, while Pac is rising due mostly on his mental makeup.
You can speak of LL in the same sentence as Nash, Getzlaf, Richards and Carter if you want to, it's a free country! I'm just saying that's an extremely high expectation level for someone who has not matched their production in junior hockey.

Plekanec is a tricky case, because he spent his teenage years in a men's league in the Czech Republic. It is much easier to find historical comparisons for LL's season in the CHL.

Pacioretty at 19 years old was over a point per game in the NCAA's toughest division.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RE-HABS View Post
You do realize that Leblanc is getting 1.16 points per game right?

You did do the math to show that, you act as those players above had Mario Lemieux stats in junior.

Habs fans need to cool down and get off the bust crap all the time in regards to a 1st rounder, there are people here saying the same about Tinordi already too.

This is too much. Let the kid develop, not every kid dominates at their NCAA or CHL level, and last time I checked not every kid picked from the 5th overall up are for sure NHLers at 19-20.

Look at Vancouver with Hodgson, he is being brought along at the right speed. Why rush a kid, sure he has had his injuries but the tools are there that he would probably be an everyday NHLer with most teams. But, with depth in Vancouver they have been bringing him along properly and still rewarding him with a cup of coffee in the NHL.

It's hard enough that Leblanc is a Habs 1st rounder, but a Quebecer 1st rounder makes it double hard. People need to chill and let the development happen. Worked well with Patches and Subban, Habs learned their mistakes of bringing the kids in too early due to media and fan pressure of having a star kid on the roster at 19. I'm sure if Latendresse was brought along the same way with time in the AHL he would still be in Montreal, and probably a different player.

Leblanc is fine.
1.16ppg in the Q is fine. Just not typical of a 19 year old, top 6 NHL forward prospect.

When did I ever say Leblanc was a bust? I have high hopes for him as a bottom 6 center in the NHL. I believe he can eventually help the team win. It's just too much to expect him to become Mike Richards.

I agree about Hodgson's development being a good template. I'm not sure how it ties in with the rest of your argument, but I am in favor of bringing prospects along slowly.

BTW, if you believe being a local Habs 1st round pick makes it "double hard" for LL to produce, what makes you think it will be easier for him to play at the Bell Center and around the NHL than it is playing in Verdun, Rouyn, Moncton, etc? I don't buy the argument that there is more pressure for locals - I think there is a huge amount of pressure for every NHL prospect. But if I did buy that argument, I wouldn't expect things to get any easier in the pros.

Last edited by Roulin: 03-15-2011 at 08:11 PM.
Roulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2011, 02:30 PM
Papa Bear

I think all those people comparing his stats at 19 to other players (that played junior hockey 7-8 years ago in some cases) does not make any sense.

First, the Q has become a much more defensive league since then. You no longer see players reaching 130-140 points like you did back then. In fact, Sean Couturier won the scoring championship last year with less than 100 points (not saying LL is as good obviously, but only that points overall are down).

Second, Rick Nash was a top 2 pick in a relatively good draft year, so any comparisons to him are nonsensical. Jeff Carter was arguably supposed to go in the top 10, so I would take him out too. Mike Richards was seen by many as a strong third line center when he was drafted, particularly because of his size (or lack thereof). You may not realize but Mike Richards is not that big - 5'11 maybe 190 pounds and he was drafted before the lockout.

Third, when comparing with other players, I would point out that having to adjust to a league is a huge detriment to a player's point totals. You can compare LL's point totals with other players at the same age, but the others had the benefit of playing 2 (or 3) years of Major Junior hockey prior to that. The much longer schedule, the insane travel schedules, the physicality of the games compared to college hockey. All that they were able to adjust to. That's huge and a major reason many players see their stats jump from their first season playing in a junior league to the next.
Milan Lucic is a perfect example. First season playing junior hockey coming from the BCHL: 9 goals (and he was perhaps the most physically dominating forward in the league as a 17 year old). Second season, with probably less talent: 30 goals.

Finally, I would argue that one of the reasons drafted players see their points dip the following year (including the ppg) is because once they are drafted they are watched a lot more closely than going into their draft year. Maybe not those surrounded by a lot of talent, but definitely those who see older players leave and are asked to carry the load. Louis Leblanc has perhaps 1 other top two round player on his team right now and even that will be a stretch. He does not even have one of those 20 year old CHL superstars (a la Corey Locke) to help him out. Add to that the day he stepped into the league he was a marked man and I think he's had a good season.

But to say that his ceiling is all of a sudden a bottom six forward, that seems way premature to me.

Papa Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2011, 03:10 PM
LePoche69

In the WJC, he reminded me a bit of Chris Higgins during his better seasons in Montreal.

I would be very happy if he becomes such a player and can sustain that level of play year after year.

LePoche69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2011, 03:19 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by LePoche69 View Post
In the WJC, he reminded me a bit of Chris Higgins during his better seasons in Montreal.

I would be very happy if he becomes such a player and can sustain that level of play year after year.
Yeah, a guy that plays hard and plays at both ends...can chip in 25-30 on his own and also generate chances for linemates with his forechecking and board play.

Old
04-08-2011, 11:10 PM
cedouimet

vCash: 1040
Louis Leblanc - MTL vs Lewiston

Hey guys,

Just came back from the first game of this second round playoff in the Q.
Montreal Juniors VS Maineiacs Lewiston, and i though i'd share my view on it.

It was a really good game overall but Leblanc didn't stand out much.

Sure he got a Goal and an Assist (IIRC) but I almost did not notice him in the entire game.

I think he is A LOT like plekanec.

You don't see him very much, wich mean he doesn't make many errors also.
Except when he score and/or get points.
He is very good defensivly, as a good offensive flair and isn't really physical.

I notice that he does like to stir thing up though.
Often after a play or the wistle, he give a shoulder hit, a glove in the face or just take the other player stick off his end.

He also did not work very hard tonight, or shall i say, doesn't look like he did.
He look like a guy who is much more developped than a Q player...he doesn't belong in the level of play anymore. He's good for the AHL.

Overall, i'D say great prospect with Sure NHL 2nd line center written all over, similar to plekanec, with maybe a 70pts carrer high, regular 55-60 pts player.

Going to the 2nd game Tomorow afternoon, i'll give an update!

----------------------------------------

Otherwise, i really like that defensman Ouellet...great defensivly, and often going on offensively. Got the 3rd star too tonight....is he drafted or draft eligible?!?!?

cedouimet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 11:14 PM
FlyingKostitsyn

vCash: 827
Ouellet is eligible this year. I would love the Habs to get their hands on him, altho the lack of a second rounder might make this difficult. With Leblanc and Lefebvre on the same team its obvious they've seen him play often so they know what they can get from him.

Last edited by FlyingKostitsyn: 04-08-2011 at 11:27 PM.
FlyingKostitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 11:19 PM
FF de Mars

vCash: 915
Thanks. Pleks. It makes sense. I'd be happy with that. Although I had the impression that at the same age Leblanc is better along the boards. But hell yeah, the comparison makes sense on many levels.

On the side, if Kristo is his right wing, next year, in the AHL, who's going to be his left wing ? I was thinking Avstin the other night, since we don't have many LW anyways, it would be perfect, even as a possible NHL line, but can Avstin play LW, even though he's a RW, or can Kristo play LW ?

FF de Mars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 11:26 PM
cedouimet

vCash: 1040
Thank you for ouellet....he's a pretty good defensman overall for his age.

As for the AHL, avtsin and kristo are both RW and both shoots RH, so it might be a toss to who'S gonna play RW and LW with leblanc.
That is IF kristo goes to the AHL...he might...but still.

cedouimet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 11:30 PM
FlyingKostitsyn

vCash: 827
It would be awesome to reunite the Leblanc-Kristo duo in Hamilton, they played great hockey together at Omaha.

I'm not a Bulldogs expert but won't they be a bit depleted next year? Who's coming back for sure up front? Palushaj, Avtsin, Wyman, Conboy... Is Dawes signed next year? They'll need some firepower after losing Desharnais, Maxwell and soon Boyd.

FlyingKostitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 11:37 PM
Hugo Sham

hasn't it been talked about that the habs will move Leblanc to the wing?

Hugo Sham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 11:45 PM
Richiebottles
Moonemojibro

Send a message via AIM to Richiebottles
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingKostitsyn View Post
It would be awesome to reunite the Leblanc-Kristo duo in Hamilton, they played great hockey together at Omaha.

I'm not a Bulldogs expert but won't they be a bit depleted next year? Who's coming back for sure up front? Palushaj, Avtsin, Wyman, Conboy... Is Dawes signed next year? They'll need some firepower after losing Desharnais, Maxwell and soon Boyd.
They might do a Kristo-Leblanc-Berger Line

Here are Bergers stats in the OHL. He should be going to hamilton since the habs signed him and since he is over 20.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p...php?pid=111894

Richiebottles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 04:59 PM
Richiebottles
Moonemojibro

Send a message via AIM to Richiebottles
Leblanc wants to join the Dogs

http://www.rds.ca/lhjmq/chroniques/318421.html

Looks like he would want to join the Dogs who are currently in the playoff's . What do you guys think ?

Richiebottles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 05:04 PM
Gary320

If it meant he could go back to the juniors the next year, than yeah I'd do it..

Gary320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 05:05 PM
didouche
CHANGE is coming!!!!

Go go go!!!!!

didouche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 05:07 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary320 View Post
If it meant he could go back to the juniors the next year, than yeah I'd do it..
Why would they send him back to junior at 20?

Old
04-19-2011, 05:12 PM
DarkMandrill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Why would they send him back to junior at 20?
He can't go back to the Junior anyway,he's to old,ahl or nhl next season.

DarkMandrill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 05:15 PM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
RIP

Quote:
«Je pense qu’il a connu une belle progression, mais il a encore beaucoup de travail à faire au niveau de sa compréhension du jeu. Il doit aussi apprendre à gérer ses émotions, c’est une partie importante car il joue avec le feu dans les yeux et il travaille toujours fort. Il doit seulement apprendre à mieux contrôler cela», a ajouté son entraîneur chez le Junior.
English: Basically his coach says he has a tough time controlling his emotions and he needs work on reading plays/understanding the game.

That kinda worries me even if people have sworn this coach is a moron.

DekeLikeYouMeanIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 05:15 PM
shamrun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richiebottles View Post
http://www.rds.ca/lhjmq/chroniques/318421.html

Looks like he would want to join the Dogs who are currently in the playoff's . What do you guys think ?
if avtsyn is not getting a lot of ice time, then i wonder how much ice time that would leave for leblanc in the playoffs right now?

shamrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 05:21 PM
Gary320

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkMandrill View Post
He can't go back to the Junior anyway,he's to old,ahl or nhl next season.
Isn't the rule 21?

Anyway.. if so.. then go ahead and put him in the AHL. Nothing to lose.

Gary320 is offline   Reply With Quote