HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Tampa Bay Lightning
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade deadline Today Feb 28th

Closed Thread

Old
02-11-2011, 08:01 PM
I Am Beat You

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelmoor View Post
So the idea is to add another pylon to the collection? Or you just want to upgrade a pylon?

I rather do nothing than that, if we could somehow add some mobility it would be great.
It seems you know next to nothing about Chris Phillips.

Old
02-11-2011, 08:51 PM
The Fear Boners
Plz stop pucks

You have to admit he certainly isn't as mobile as the Chris Phillips of 2006.

Old
02-12-2011, 06:10 AM
Felonious Python
Purple Squirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhljohnson View Post
I guess anything is possible, but can you really consider Yandle anything short of untouchable for Phoenix? He's their leading scorer and it seems safe to project him to finish with 60+ points. And he's no defensive slouch. He's the real deal and is going to make a pretty penny with his next deal. In short, the 'Yotes in all probability will reallocate a significant chunk of what they've been paying Jovanovski (who will have to take a hefty pay cut or head elsewhere) to Yandle. I think it's a safe assumption that you wouldn't even want to fathom what Phoenix would probably, and quite justifiably, request in exchange in for Yandle.

And even if the Coyotes brass is open to parting ways with Jovanovski and/or Aucoin, I can't imagine they are prepared to ship them off in the midst of a playoff run.
Yandle probably wouldn't come cheap for us in a trade, but I don't think he'll get a Mike Green-ian mega deal as an RFA. There's little reason to re-sign a restricted player, much less an underrated defenseman, to that kind of money. Green had a ton of hype, and Yandle wasn't even on the USA evaluation roster.

As for Phoenix's positioning for a playoff run, there's not many teams right now who are basically out of it. Edmonton is really the only team in the west, as well as the usual suspects in the east.

Colorado is 14th, and while they still have a chance, they also have JM Liles. Who I think might be a good fit here.

The major problem I see with them being their level of overall talent on the blueline. Beyond Liles, they've got the likes of ROB, Shattenkirk, Quincey, Cumiskey, and Foote. Who are not the most impressive group on paper.

To their credit, they do have a lot of depth, but probably not enough to really outweigh losing Liles.

Although this is also a team that gave Peter Forsberg a contract, so they may be on the verge of panic mode right now.

Old
02-12-2011, 07:01 AM
LightningStrikes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felonious Python View Post
Yandle probably wouldn't come cheap for us in a trade, but I don't think he'll get a Mike Green-ian mega deal as an RFA. There's little reason to re-sign a restricted player, much less an underrated defenseman, to that kind of money. Green had a ton of hype, and Yandle wasn't even on the USA evaluation roster.

As for Phoenix's positioning for a playoff run, there's not many teams right now who are basically out of it. Edmonton is really the only team in the west, as well as the usual suspects in the east.

Colorado is 14th, and while they still have a chance, they also have JM Liles. Who I think might be a good fit here.

The major problem I see with them being their level of overall talent on the blueline. Beyond Liles, they've got the likes of ROB, Shattenkirk, Quincey, Cumiskey, and Foote. Who are not the most impressive group on paper.

To their credit, they do have a lot of depth, but probably not enough to really outweigh losing Liles.

Although this is also a team that gave Peter Forsberg a contract, so they may be on the verge of panic mode right now.
I don't think the Avs will trade Liles. Liles has 2 more minutes in TOI/G over the second defenseman in that category (O'Byrne). And Quincey, who was leading all Colorado defensemen in TOI last season, is out for the rest of the year.

Old
02-12-2011, 07:57 AM
LightningStrikes

Quote:
Meanwhile, interest in New York Islanders defenceman Radek Martinek is starting to grow.

Isles GM Garth Snow is asking for a second round draft pick in return.
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/dregerreport/

Old
02-12-2011, 08:50 AM
Maelmoor
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to Maelmoor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad2891 View Post
It seems you know next to nothing about Chris Phillips.
You know he is on a different level now than 4-5 years ago, he is making more mistakes than Randy Jones, he lost his skating and he always seems to be one step behind.

I would say it's quite a difference from last year even. Before he was solid and always did tend to spep up when it mattered. While some might be due to the team playing poorly their younger guys has been much better.

02-12-2011, 09:50 AM
nhljohnson

Quote:
Yandle probably wouldn't come cheap for us in a trade, but I don't think he'll get a Mike Green-ian mega deal as an RFA. There's little reason to re-sign a restricted player, much less an underrated defenseman, to that kind of money.
Faulty logic.

First, the contractual landscape has changed in the NHL. One of the big factors was the 'new' CBA lowering the UFA age. In short, the resulting dependence of many clubs on younger, entry-level talent has meant the emergence of a class of premier RFAs that do, in fact, get big paydays. Yandle's on the bubble of that class but his age is also factor. Being nearly 25 and with four years of accrued service in the NHL, he's very close to becoming a free-agent. A multi-year deal, especially one that locks him down for 4-5 years means the Coyotes will have to buy out UFA years and those don't come cheap. Again, he may be an RFA this off-season, but his UFA status is looming on the near horizon. This means more $$$ now.

Secondly, Yandle may be "underrated" in the sense that he's not a household name for the casual fan, but he's not underrated in the industry.

Also, I don't know if you can even call Mike Green's contract a "mega-deal" in the current scheme of things. I don't necessarily think Yandle will eclipse $5.25 million but I wouldn't be surprised if he approaches that figure.

Quote:
Green had a ton of hype, and Yandle wasn't even on the USA evaluation roster.
Green is Canadian and plays for a high-profile organization. And Yandle may not have made the Olympic squad but he was on the 2010 IIHF WC roster. And if he can stay healthy and productive, he'll be a part of Team USA for years to come.

Last edited by nhljohnson: 02-12-2011 at 09:56 AM.
Old
02-12-2011, 01:08 PM
Felonious Python
Purple Squirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhljohnson View Post
Faulty logic.

First, the contractual landscape has changed in the NHL. One of the big factors was the 'new' CBA lowering the UFA age. In short, the resulting dependence of many clubs on younger, entry-level talent has meant the emergence of a class of premier RFAs that do, in fact, get big paydays. Yandle's on the bubble of that class but his age is also factor. Being nearly 25 and with four years of accrued service in the NHL, he's very close to becoming a free-agent. A multi-year deal, especially one that locks him down for 4-5 years means the Coyotes will have to buy out UFA years and those don't come cheap. Again, he may be an RFA this off-season, but his UFA status is looming on the near horizon. This means more $$$ now.

Secondly, Yandle may be "underrated" in the sense that he's not a household name for the casual fan, but he's not underrated in the industry.

Also, I don't know if you can even call Mike Green's contract a "mega-deal" in the current scheme of things. I don't necessarily think Yandle will eclipse $5.25 million but I wouldn't be surprised if he approaches that figure.

Green is Canadian and plays for a high-profile organization. And Yandle may not have made the Olympic squad but he was on the 2010 IIHF WC roster. And if he can stay healthy and productive, he'll be a part of Team USA for years to come.
That's a pretty big but. Three of the players on the team weren't even in the NHL at the time.

You do have a point about the difference between fans and inside the industry holding different viewpoints on Yandle, however that implies that players are signed solely based on what they bring to the team.

A more high profile player in the public eye can hypothetically demand more in negotiation because of the attention he'd bring to the team. It's why if Vinny and Marty were up for renegotiation right now, Vinny would still make more.

Since Yandle's only going to be RFA, there's little chance of him going anywhere else. At least in terms of offer sheets each year, unless there's far more activity than reported. Also given that when I do hear about them, they seem to be offered because the big UFAs are gone.

I don't doubt that Yandle could get 3.5-4 million-ish with Phoenix. It's just that if he were traded to TB, it would effectively give him a clean slate (in a bad way) since he doesn't have the profile or reputation here that he's established in Phoenix, nor a whole lot of time to rebuild his status before negotiation.

The evaluations of his ability are largely subjective, since he doesn't have a whole lot of accolades to go with it. Olympic team selections, all-star appearances, awards, etc. He'd have little leverage, and probably end up signing for less in TB than Phoenix. If we were to trade for him. That's all I'm saying.

He was an injury replacement for this year's all-star team, so he does have that to his credit.

The problem I'll admit, is what package he's traded in. If he's the only guy we're getting in a deal w/PHX, he does have the value that the team spent in order to buy him, on his side.

Old
02-12-2011, 01:54 PM
nhljohnson

Quote:
Since Yandle's only going to be RFA, there's little chance of him going anywhere else.
This year. And that's the key. Phoenix could gamble and sign him to a short-term deal that doesn't buy out any UFA years, but that could prove extremely short-sighted if Yandle continues to progress, establishes himself as a perennial Norris candidate and maybe even earns some hardware. Such a gamble would keep his cost down now but might put his agent in the driver's seat the next time the contract bridge has to be crossed...in a year or two.

Quote:
I don't doubt that Yandle could get 3.5-4 million-ish with Phoenix. It's just that if he were traded to TB, it would effectively give him a clean slate (in a bad way) since he doesn't have the profile or reputation here that he's established in Phoenix, nor a whole lot of time to rebuild his status before negotiation.
So, if Stamkos, who you might remember also isn't yet an Olympian, was traded to Phoenix, he wouldn't command the $6.5-7 million-ish he's likely to probably going to get here in Tampa? I'm not arguing for the sake of arguing, I assure you. I'm just not sure I understand your reasoning. All Yandle's agent needs, no matter which GM he's negotiating with, is Exhibit A.

Quote:
He'd have little leverage, and probably end up signing for less in TB than Phoenix. If we were to trade for him. That's all I'm saying.
If anything, the fact that the Coyotes should be able to pry something close to a king's ransom for Yandle would indicate to me that his camp would yield a substantial amount of leverage, i.e. "if you want me so bad, prove it."

Old
02-12-2011, 04:18 PM
I Am Beat You

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightningStrikes View Post
Philly's 2nd for Martinek and Konopka.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelmoor View Post
You know he is on a different level now than 4-5 years ago, he is making more mistakes than Randy Jones, he lost his skating and he always seems to be one step behind.

I would say it's quite a difference from last year even. Before he was solid and always did tend to spep up when it mattered. While some might be due to the team playing poorly their younger guys has been much better.
Phillips is playing like crap and doesn't make half the mistakes of Jones. Whats your sample size on watching Phillips play this year? 2 games? I am very aware he's not the Chris Phillips of a few years ago, but I won't solely contribute that to being a decline due to age or whatever. Ask any sens fan, he's having bad bad year, but he can be much better. A change of scenery might help with that.

And Yandle is 100% not going anywhere unless he no longer wants to play for Phoenix.

Old
02-12-2011, 04:42 PM
Tokala

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad2891 View Post
Philly's 2nd for Martinek and Konopka.
Throw in MIke Smith for laughs!

Old
02-12-2011, 04:52 PM
Doctor Drej
Unregistered User

You know, I honestly wouldn't be opposed to Konopka as the 13th forward here. Isles probably don't part with him just for a pick though, he's actually a decent part of the team.

Old
02-13-2011, 08:37 AM
LightningStrikes

DC on Martinek: http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/lightn...artinek-option

Old
02-13-2011, 09:24 AM
Vasilevskiy
I've many surnames

What about Eric Brewer?

Old
02-13-2011, 11:03 AM
nhljohnson

Quote:
Originally Posted by viktors89 View Post
What about Eric Brewer?
I wouldn't mind Brewer. He's a pending UFA and would only cost the organization about $1 million for the remainder of the season, but more importantly, he can log big minutes effectively and has the shot to chip in even-strength goals on occasion. His presence combined with Lundin's return would push Ohlund, Jones and Bergeron down a rung on the ladder and Smaby out of the lineup.

I like Brewer as a rental. Good call.

Old
02-13-2011, 12:06 PM
Rschmitz

I really, really don't like the asking prices I'm seeing.

Old
02-13-2011, 01:01 PM
The Fear Boners
Plz stop pucks

Nope.

Old
02-13-2011, 07:49 PM
RussianGuyovich
Hella Ennui

Send a message via MSN to RussianGuyovich
loll someone here thinks we're gonna get yandle

Old
02-13-2011, 07:58 PM
The Fear Boners
Plz stop pucks

Old
02-13-2011, 07:59 PM
Felonious Python
Purple Squirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by turd ferguson View Post
loll someone here thinks we're gonna get yandle
Any player is available for the right price.

Old
02-13-2011, 11:21 PM
Edgeworth*

What would even be the return? Yzerman has said he wouldn't trade much in the way of picks and prospects and it's not like there is a ton to trade in terms of team. Might as well just wait and play the free agency again.

Old
02-14-2011, 08:36 AM
Felonious Python
Purple Squirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by spozm View Post
What would even be the return? Yzerman has said he wouldn't trade much in the way of picks and prospects and it's not like there is a ton to trade in terms of team. Might as well just wait and play the free agency again.
This. Mostly.

SFY has limited himself to only trading a few assets, which is fine long term, but in terms of winning the cup this season, dries up the options.

If he doesn't trade for anybody, I'd be fine with that. We've passed on suitable candidates on the waiver wire, and I'd rather wait for a real steal to come around than sell-out the team's future for a slightly better possibility of winning it this year.

It's not like if we can't get a guy to replace Smaby or Jones we can't win it. It just should improve our chances.

Old
02-14-2011, 11:46 AM
Kusic
Be The Thunder

Send a message via ICQ to Kusic
Lightning eyeing Martinek?
Tampa searching for help up front?
I think, that Jan Hejda and Cory Stillman would be a good choice

Old
02-14-2011, 12:16 PM
Vasilevskiy
I've many surnames

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kusic View Post
Lightning eyeing Martinek?
Tampa searching for help up front?
I think, that Jan Hejda and Cory Stillman would be a good choice
Definetely

Old
02-14-2011, 01:29 PM
I Am Beat You

I wouldn't mind a guy like Clarkson or Glencross but that's just me. Malone brought physicality and some toughness and I think we'll be missing those aspects as long as he's gone. Of course, I have no issue with Stillman, Zubrus or Grier either, so I guess we'll have to wait and see. Columbus has several defenseman I would like on this team including Hejda, Klesla and Methot.

Speculating is great fun, I love this time of year.

Closed Thread