HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Caps sign Semin to one-year, $6.7M deal

Old
01-27-2011, 11:35 AM
Raikkonen
In GMBT we trust

vCash: 500
What did I say? 7M for 1 year? 3 days ago?

First I called Flash-Hannan. Then that (I was clearly inspired by other ppl who suggested that Semin likes 1-2Y deals). Scary.

Next step? Fisher?! Really? OMFG.

Seriously. I like it. Semin should be now very calm and focused on getting healthy and producing in the playoffs.

True top-winger (Semin) + true power-forward (Ovechkin) = topline.

3 grinder lines, no Purretty and we are OK to compete.

PS: I'm still nuts.

Raikkonen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 11:36 AM
PuckBuddy
Green for Selke

i guess the repeat $6m/1 year deal is because he's essentially the same unknown, oft-injured quantity he was last season, and the $700k raise is for the efforts he's made defensively and on PK.

not much to talk about either way. i hope he's healthy in april.

PuckBuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 11:39 AM
Vladiator16*
R.I.P - Loko.

Good deal. Minimal risk for the Caps. If the guy wouldn’t get injured we probably would have to pay 7 to 7.5 for his services. Now he needs to come back after all star break pot 15 to 20 goals and hopefully stay healthy for the PO’s.

Vladiator16* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 11:43 AM
EroCaps

I still feel like he's an albatross, but it's 1 year and he's not making more than Nick.

It only becomes a bad deal if it prevents them from addressing an area of need or he bombs out of the PO again (which I think is likely).

I give it an incomplete.

EroCaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 11:49 AM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

It's not my money. If Leonsis wants to pay that for 30 great games and a coin flip in April I'm fine with it. Especially since the ufa market is cabbage this year.

BrooklynCapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 11:56 AM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by EroCaps View Post
I still feel like he's an albatross, but it's 1 year and he's not making more than Nick.

It only becomes a bad deal if it prevents them from addressing an area of need or he bombs out of the PO again (which I think is likely).

I give it an incomplete.
dont give up, man. this off season we can go thru the same semin trade yammer as last off season. right? there's still hope.

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 11:59 AM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

I have no problem with it. No reason you can't trade him in the offseason (value might not be there, but it'd be better than nothing) if you decide you really do need to go in another direction.

There was no way he was getting traded this season (not at this point anyways), so I don't exactly see much downside to this...

brs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 12:19 PM
Hivemind
We're Touched

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovechkins Wodka View Post
looks like semin wants to not be injuried before testing the FA market. this puts the trade semin talk to rest for now
I wish, there's already a Semin to Montreal thread going.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColincampbellOscopy View Post
Does anyone want to explain to me how he got a raise?

I guess leverage of UFA, but still.
UFA instead of RFA.
Salary Cap Inflation
Weaker UFA class.

Hivemind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 12:21 PM
Capitlols

No complaints here, it gives the team flexibility moving forward. Granted he didn't get a NMC/NTC.

Capitlols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 12:25 PM
Devil Dancer

I'm not sure Semin should get Backstrom money when Semin only plays about 80% of the time, but we're all aware of his God mode ability, so I can't complain about a one year deal. Plus I think he's fun to watch.

Devil Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 12:35 PM
artilector

I wish the Caps made up their mind on Semin, but whatever, I guess we'll go through this same exact thing again a year from now.

artilector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 12:49 PM
txpd

* what is your definition of made up their mind?
* right now backstrom has 34 pts and semin 35 pts. which is better high level performance in limited availability or underperformance with reliable availability?
backstrom is more disappointing right now than is semin.

it would be interesting to know the truth. i'd say its possible that the difference in the two players is that one can play with his injury and the other can not. the one that can play with it still can't perform, though. or maybe semin is injury prone. it causes him to miss games. backstrom is overweight prone and while durable and in the lineup his game suffers significantly. which is worse?

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 12:56 PM
JawandaPuck
Lost Art of Dynasty

Quote:

I give it an incomplete.

He's likely to do the opposite in the POs considering his up and down trend suggests some God-mode is in order -- barring injury that is.

Also, not saying that he necessarily did, but the short contractual term gives the impression he took one for the team. Either way, win-win.

JawandaPuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 12:56 PM
Drake1588
UNATCO

Quote:
Originally Posted by artilector View Post
I wish the Caps made up their mind on Semin, but whatever, I guess we'll go through this same exact thing again a year from now.
The Caps did make up their mind, and offered him a multi-year deal. Semin opted for a one-year deal. Personally, I think that Semin did them a favor, by helping the Caps to minimize their own risk.

Drake1588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 12:58 PM
Capitlols

OT: Is it possible for it to come between Laich or Hendricks that we choose to re-sign?

Capitlols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 01:00 PM
EroCaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by JawandaPuck View Post
He's likely to do the opposite in the POs considering his up and down trend suggests some God-mode is in order -- barring injury that is.

Also, not saying that he necessarily did, but the short contractual term gives the impression he took one for the team. Either way, win-win.
His short term was his choice. The team wanted longer. So, he certainly didn't "take one for the team".

I'll be the first to eat crow when this player plays to the level of a 6.7m contract over the course of 4 playoff series and is seen raising a Stanley Cup. I just wouldn't bank on it.

Can't wait for the Deadline.

EroCaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 01:03 PM
JawandaPuck
Lost Art of Dynasty

Quote:
His short term was his choice. The team wanted longer. So, he certainly didn't "take one for the team".

I'll be the first to eat crow when this player plays to the level of a 6.7m contract over the course of 4 playoff series and is seen raising a Stanley Cup. I just wouldn't bank on it.

Can't wait for the Deadline.

I understand that. But he also could have decided to test free agency this off-season. He believe's in his abilities obviously, and the fact he's willing to take a risky short-term deal also seems to suggest that he wants a longterm deal at a better rate than was likely offered by GMGM.

JawandaPuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 01:04 PM
Millhaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
* what is your definition of made up their mind?
* right now backstrom has 34 pts and semin 35 pts. which is better high level performance in limited availability or underperformance with reliable availability?
backstrom is more disappointing right now than is semin.

it would be interesting to know the truth. i'd say its possible that the difference in the two players is that one can play with his injury and the other can not. the one that can play with it still can't perform, though. or maybe semin is injury prone. it causes him to miss games. backstrom is overweight prone and while durable and in the lineup his game suffers significantly. which is worse?
Not that it really has any effect on your argument as I completely agree but Backstrom has 46 points right now. Both players have identical .90 points per game averages this season though.

Millhaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 01:08 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appreci8 View Post
OT: Is it possible for it to come between Laich or Hendricks that we choose to re-sign?
I don't see why it would. They're not competing for the same spot, and cap space won't be an issue.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 01:11 PM
Vladiator16*
R.I.P - Loko.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil Dancer View Post
I'm not sure Semin should get Backstrom money when Semin only plays about 80% of the time, but we're all aware of his God mode ability, so I can't complain about a one year deal. Plus I think he's fun to watch.
Fun is overrated. Trade Semin.

Signed: Gym-Tan-Laundry.

Vladiator16* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 01:14 PM
Hivemind
We're Touched

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appreci8 View Post
I think a chocie between Matt Hendricks or Matt Bradley is far more realistic.

Hivemind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 01:17 PM
Millhaus

Quote:
Well the way he has played since signing his contract Backstrom shouldn't be getting Backstrom money. 9 more years of the way he has played this year makes that deal a very poor one from the Caps perspective. Up until this season I have loved Backstrom's play and development but I'm just saying...

Old
01-27-2011, 01:18 PM
Foy

Quote:
technically, Semin got Backstrom Cap hit, not Backstrom money. Nicky will make $6m next year.

Foy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 01:20 PM
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruProf View Post
What did I say? 7M for 1 year? 3 days ago?

First I called Flash-Hannan. Then that (I was clearly inspired by other ppl who suggested that Semin likes 1-2Y deals). Scary.

Next step? Fisher?! Really? OMFG.

Seriously. I like it. Semin should be now very calm and focused on getting healthy and producing in the playoffs.

True top-winger (Semin) + true power-forward (Ovechkin) = topline.

3 grinder lines, no Purretty and we are OK to compete.

PS: I'm still nuts.
Power Ball Numbers please

BiPolar Caps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 01:23 PM
Millhaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystlyfe View Post
I think a chocie between Matt Hendricks or Matt Bradley is far more realistic.
Yeah I have no doubt that Hendricks would gladly return for a Bradley like deal. After last season I think most thought we would be lucky to resign Laich for a $3.5 mil cap hit and most likely it would reach $4 mil. Now I have no idea how much he is likely to command but frankly something around $2.5 or $2.75 mil on average would be more than fair IMO.