HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

Caps sign Semin to one-year, $6.7M deal

Old
01-27-2011, 01:26 PM
EroCaps

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vladiator16 View Post
Fun is overrated. Trade Semin.

Signed: Gym-Tan-Laundry.

EroCaps is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 01:26 PM
C-A-P-S

The deal makes sense for both sides. If you listen to GMGM's quotes in the Post he clearly isn't going to go much further than the 6.7 cap hit.

"We just didn't feel that it would be fair to go beyond that," he said. "They are two really talented players. I wouldn't call it a ceiling, but we just thought if the two of them were at that number, then everyone would be comfortable with that."

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/cap...apitalsinsider

Given that negotiating stance, the writing's on the wall not only for Semin but also for Greenie was well. No one is going past 6.7 million a season.

I think given his injury Semin knew there was nothing he'd be able to do stats wise that would force GMGM to move the bar higher than 6.7 million, he also likes it in DC so sign a 1 year deal and reevaluate next season.

C-A-P-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 01:31 PM
EroCaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-A-P-S View Post
The deal makes sense for both sides. If you listen to GMGM's quotes in the Post he clearly isn't going to go much further than the 6.7 cap hit.

"We just didn't feel that it would be fair to go beyond that," he said. "They are two really talented players. I wouldn't call it a ceiling, but we just thought if the two of them were at that number, then everyone would be comfortable with that."

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/cap...apitalsinsider

Given that negotiating stance, the writing's on the wall not only for Semin but also for Greenie was well. No one is going past 6.7 million a season.

I think given his injury Semin knew there was nothing he'd be able to do stats wise that would force GMGM to move the bar higher than 6.7 million, he also likes it in DC so sign a 1 year deal and reevaluate next season.
Green shouldn't hit 6 let alone 6.7 until he proves he's not a choke artist.

If there's a silver lining to their recent injury spell it's that that $ on IR counts as cap space if I'm correct. Or is that only LTIR?

Old
01-27-2011, 01:35 PM
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!

Is there anticipation that the Salary cap will be bumped up a bit again this time around like it was last year? Obviously such an event would help in covering the added 700gs for Semin or perhaps keeping/addressing some of the UFAs/RFAs that the Caps will have.

BiPolar Caps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 01:38 PM
Mystlyfe
We're Touched

It really could depend on the TV deal. A lot of people are speculating around a 2-3M increase in the Cap, but nobody really has any hard evidence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millhaus View Post
Yeah I have no doubt that Hendricks would gladly return for a Bradley like deal. After last season I think most thought we would be lucky to resign Laich for a $3.5 mil cap hit and most likely it would reach $4 mil. Now I have no idea how much he is likely to command but frankly something around $2.5 or $2.75 mil on average would be more than fair IMO.
I don't even think it would take as much as a Bradley deal. Something around $700k that's one-way would probably be lucrative enough for Hendricks. The lack of a one-way deal was the big thing that made him leave Colorado. Finally giving him that security will be a big step towards signing him.

Mystlyfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 01:40 PM
Atlas

Does anyone see a coherent plan from Leonsis or McPhee? I never have and still don't. If Semin is part of a long-term, Cup-winning vision then sign him for 3-4 yrs. If he doesn't fit into your vision then ship him out.

McPhee has no vision. It's all short-term w/ him -- like he's playing a slot machine and praying he'll hit the jackpot somehow.

Atlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 01:42 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas View Post
Does anyone see a coherent plan from Leonsis or McPhee? I never have and still don't. If Semin is part of a long-term, Cup-winning vision then sign him for 3-4 yrs. If he doesn't fit into your vision to ship him out.

McPhee has no vision. It's all short-term w/ him -- like he's playing a slot machine and praying he'll hit the jackpot somehow.
It was Semin that wanted a 1-year deal. McPhee wanted a multi-year deal.

But yeah, I guess I should have expected that you'd spin it whatever way you could to bash McPhee.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 01:48 PM
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystlyfe View Post
It really could depend on the TV deal. A lot of people are speculating around a 2-3M increase in the Cap, but nobody really has any hard evidence.

Thanks

I don't even think it would take as much as a Bradley deal. Something around $700k that's one-way would probably be lucrative enough for Hendricks. The lack of a one-way deal was the big thing that made him leave Colorado. Finally giving him that security will be a big step towards signing him.
Right now for Laich I' m hoping for a Knuble type of salary at 2.8 but it probably will be the length of the contract that will help Laich decide, 4 years?

I see Gordon with another 800g contract at 1 year. His health is a factor.

I envision you take Hendricks current salary and add Bradley's current salary to sign Hendricks, in other words I believe his performance may warrant something in the 1.5 neighborhood, which will also result in thanking Matt Bradley for his time with the club.

So I don't see Knuble or Bradley returning, I'm hoping they sign Hannan but Poti's deal may have skewed that possibility.

BiPolar Caps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 01:53 PM
Atlas

I want to like Laich but he's a 3rd liner at best. Would we miss his game if he were gone? If he was a Pen or Bolt in the playoffs would we be afraid of him? I don't think so.

I'd strongly consider trading Laich at the deadline. Fehr too, if he gets healthy.

Atlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 01:55 PM
Millhaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
My guess is Semin wanted to be paid a certain rate and McPhee wasn't prepared to give him both term and rate so Semin took the 1 year deal at close to the rate he wanted.

If nothing else I like his confidence in his ability to prove he is worth what he wants and is willing to risk a serious injury to do that. I also like that he is happy with signing on for another year with the Caps now as opposed to trying to get both the rate and term he wants on the open market after the season. Obviously he isn't having his best season so far but with the dearth of talent approaching UFA status I don't think he would be begging for offers as long as he wasn't looking for a really long term deal.

Millhaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 02:27 PM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EroCaps View Post
Green shouldn't hit 6 let alone 6.7 until he proves he's not a choke artist.

If there's a silver lining to their recent injury spell it's that that $ on IR counts as cap space if I'm correct. Or is that only LTIR?
It's only LTIR, and it's only if you'd otherwise be at the cap. If not for the injuries the Caps would have had a ridiculous amount to play with at the deadline (over 8 mil IINM?). Now that's getting whittled down because of all the callups, and even LTIR would only help them with a portion of that (unless it's Semin on LTIR, of course).

brs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 02:42 PM
Ovechkins Wodka

1st meal after 6.7 mill. Dollar menu mcdolands. stay classy semin
http://twitpic.com/3txpwu

Ovechkins Wodka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 02:43 PM
Devil Dancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovechkins Wodka View Post
Is he wearing a 24/7 hat?

Devil Dancer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 02:45 PM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

As someone who has speculated that Semin might have mercenary tendencies, I think this deal shows that he does want to be in dc -and quite badly. There may literally have been a dozen playoff teams willing to give him the contract he signed today.

BrooklynCapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 02:46 PM
Mr Gone
Green = Man of Glass

vCash: 520
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas View Post
Does anyone see a coherent plan from Leonsis or McPhee? I never have and still don't. If Semin is part of a long-term, Cup-winning vision then sign him for 3-4 yrs. If he doesn't fit into your vision then ship him out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post

But yeah, I guess I should have expected that you'd spin it whatever way you could to bash McPhee.
I feel like it is part of the plan. I would not go long term until he show he is ready to take the next step. But he is to good to let go of. And this gives the team another year to see what we have.

Mr Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 03:04 PM
Kevin27nyi
Global Moderator
Captain Tavares

vCash: 50
could semin be traded on draft day?

Kevin27nyi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 03:04 PM
txpd

McPhee has been pretty consistant for years now. This particular team build anyway. If you can't see what he has done as consistant, I am not sure what to say.

He has said that he likes his team and likes the quality players in his system. That he wants to keep his team together and take full advantage of the young players coming up. He has said he wont trade his first round picks and his blue chip prospects.

He has done all of that and this signing is consistant with that. In fact all of this season's extentions fit that. To a fault some might say.

He well could have traded from Carlson, Alzner, Johansson and the goalies for a big splash rental for a cup run. He has stayed true to his stance. Now these players are seeing the team through.

This signing shows that it has been his intent to keep Semin. Keep his team together. Semin and Gandler wanted a one year and so he signed it. It takes two to sign contracts.

This also says that Semin/Gandler did not sign the last one year as a key to UFA marketing. He took another one year deal at the same time of year that he signed the last one.

I expect he will lock up Laich in the near future as well.

txpd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 03:10 PM
EroCaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin27NYI View Post
I'd say it's possible depending on what happens in a couple of months.

Old
01-27-2011, 03:15 PM
Whopper88

Quote:
I was about to ask the same question, is this a sign and trade deal? GMGM can't get much for Semin as a UFA, but Semin with 1 extra year could get more.

Whopper88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 03:16 PM
Kevin27nyi
Global Moderator
Captain Tavares

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whopper88 View Post
I was about to ask the same question, is this a sign and trade deal? GMGM can't get much for Semin as a UFA, but Semin with 1 extra year could get more.
i only ask because it would make sense for isles if they want to make a splash.

Old
01-27-2011, 03:19 PM
txpd

Quote:
thats better. keep hope alive.

txpd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 03:31 PM
Mystlyfe
We're Touched

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovechkins Wodka View Post
Looks kinda like the McDonalds in Union Station. Is he running away with his newly minted cash?

Quote:
Gonna give us Tavares?

Old
01-27-2011, 03:50 PM
Kevin27nyi
Global Moderator
Captain Tavares

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystlyfe View Post
Gonna give us Tavares?
nope, but the 2011 first round pick could be in play.

but i doubt anything will come of it, just going off a dream that isles will spend money to make the team competitive. should that happen, they would need to make a splash and if semin is available it just may happen.

Old
01-27-2011, 04:01 PM
ForzaItalia

Quote:
The playoffs will tell all.

ForzaItalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 04:07 PM
Mystlyfe
We're Touched

Quote:
nope, but the 2011 first round pick could be in play.

but i doubt anything will come of it, just going off a dream that isles will spend money to make the team competitive. should that happen, they would need to make a splash and if semin is available it just may happen.
A lottery pick for a player with one year left on his deal?

Caps shouldn't be your suitor then. We're trying to win soon, so picks are of less interest to us. But if you're swinging that top 5 pick around, somebody will bite.