HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Caps sign Semin to one-year, $6.7M deal

Old
01-27-2011, 08:29 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapsWolverinesUSA View Post
I'd welcome the argument. Please note I didn't say he was BETTER than all of them. I said MORE VALUABLE. And by valuable, I meant in contract terms (the subject of the conversation), not absolute value to the team terms.
Thanks for the clarification on contract value, that's now how it came across in your post.

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 09:04 PM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Eh, is there really that much of a difference between a RFA and UFA contract at the high end at this point? If anything, I'd say the difference is more due to a player having a (good) multi year track record as a UFA vs. a (good) 1 or 2 year record as a RFA.

i.e. Kopitar/Backstrom vs. Briere, Phaneuf vs. Timonen, Orpik vs. Beauchemin.

BrooklynCapsFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 09:24 PM
HTFN

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynCapsFan View Post
Eh, is there really that much of a difference between a RFA and UFA contract at the high end at this point? If anything, I'd say the difference is more due to a player having a (good) multi year track record as a UFA vs. a (good) 1 or 2 year record as a RFA.

i.e. Kopitar/Backstrom vs. Briere, Phaneuf vs. Timonen, Orpik vs. Beauchemin.
I don't know if there's a different value dollar-wise, but there always is and always will be when it comes to the team holding that RFA's contract, obviously.

HTFN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 10:08 PM
Kevin27nyi
#21KO

vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystlyfe View Post
A lottery pick for a player with one year left on his deal?

Caps shouldn't be your suitor then. We're trying to win soon, so picks are of less interest to us. But if you're swinging that top 5 pick around, somebody will bite.
thats why its tricky, value wise, its risky for the isles, due to the one year contract. but it doesnt make sense for the caps, due to them trying to win now, therefore needing semin.

the only outside shot is mcphee dealing semin for the highest value (a top 5 pick) then looking to use the 6.7 million to round out his top 6. but i dont see that being too likely.

Kevin27nyi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 10:15 PM
Drake1588
UNATCO

Lots of idle sign-and-trade speculation among NHL fans, but I don't think the Caps have the slightest intention of trading Semin.

Drake1588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 10:19 PM
Atlas

McPhee is better than the average NHL GM at acquiring assets. I have praised him since Day 1 for that. Over the last few years, it dawned on me that the GM has to do more than "Get good players." The GM has to have a clear vision of the team's style of play. Then sculpt the team w/ trades, free agents and coaches. McPhee, like many GMs, lacks this vision. He's winging it.

Atlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 10:24 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake1588 View Post
Lots of idle sign-and-trade speculation among NHL fans, but I don't think the Caps have the slightest intention of trading Semin.
Meh....me either...

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 11:05 PM
um

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCup2012 View Post
Arguably...
he defiantly is more valuable a ****** could figure that out

um is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 11:53 PM
Ovechkins Wodka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas View Post
McPhee is better than the average NHL GM at acquiring assets. I have praised him since Day 1 for that. Over the last few years, it dawned on me that the GM has to do more than "Get good players." The GM has to have a clear vision of the team's style of play. Then sculpt the team w/ trades, free agents and coaches. McPhee, like many GMs, lacks this vision. He's winging it.
he lacks vison? is that why we pick at the bottom of the 1st every year and still have one of the best minor league systems? Do you want us to pull a blackhawks and put all our eggs in a one year run?
anyways hows the hockey in texas these days?

Ovechkins Wodka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2011, 04:04 AM
Raikkonen
In GMBT we trust

Trading Semin might be stupid.

What kind of asset can we get from it?

1) futures. somebody said top-5 pick. I doubt somebody will trade high pick for Semin (with flight risk). and also we have Kuznetsov as facking top player from the draft-2010. forward pool is OK and several prospects are on their way. if we are getting one more prospect he will come to roster even later than Kuz. we do not have so much time => no point.

2) heart and soul consistent hard-working winger. for to say Dustin Brown or somebody of that mold. maybe Clowe/Pavelski? anyway such players do not grow on trees. such wingers with good contracts are very valueable and nobody wanna trade them for enigmatic Semin => no available options.

3) veteran winger with playoff experience who could be "more reliable". like Iginla? that's both not cheap and not exactly ticket to the finals I would say.

4) young talented player, but unproved in playoffs. do we need more of them? probably no. think Weiss. do you think it's better to trade Semin for Weiss?

5) defender. first is that we have enough young defenders who potentially can do the heavy lifting. complimentary veteran d-men could be acquired without trading Semin. if we want good top-4 defender we can try to trade Schultz with his reasonable contract => no point in trading Semin for dman.

So what exactly would be the good return for Semin? Experienced forward on a contract (or maybe UFA to be this or next summer) with skills and playoff experience.

Like Patrice Bergeron (not available for sure, especially as Savard is down). Like Jordan Staal (not available). Like Phoenix's captain Shane Doan (highly doubtful). Stars' captain Brenden Morrow. Jason Spezza. Mikael Samuelsson from Canucks. Cammalleri (4 years with NTC). Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Franzen. Patrick Sharp (unlikely). All those backbone forwards are too valueable for their own teams.

Brad Richards is the only one who theoretically could be had. But we have no assets to land him through the bidding-war. If he is available to boot.

Others who could be available are either inexperienced or playoff chockers or injury-prone or inconsistent or not talented enough.
Why trade Alex 'IDDQD' Semin for such a player?

So? Probably there are no suitable players in the NHL right now that McPhee could get for Semin. Pay the man, get him healthy, keep him motivated. Wait for the god mode. What else to do?

Get Arnott (even Eklund said yesterday that Caps a big favorite for Jason), give rookies reasonable time in playoffs. Keep Semin. That's the plan all the way.

Last edited by Raikkonen: 01-28-2011 at 04:12 AM.
Raikkonen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2011, 07:24 AM
txpd

Quote:
last season when Semin took the one year deal, most on the trade boards and some here thought that meant Semin wanted his bridge to UFA eligibility and was gone as soon as he could be.

THIS one year contract, makes no sense to those outside of the informed Caps fan unless its a sign and trade. Hossa signed a one year with Detroit to get a Cup. That didnt make sense but could be explained.

This is an unusual move, but Semin is an unusual guy and it seems to indicate that Semin in fact wants to stay in Washington. Why take a one year when you want to stay? I think we get it, but they dont

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2011, 07:27 AM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas View Post
He's winging it.
explain what he has done that flies against he stated goals of keeping his team together and using his first round picks and blue chip young players on his team and not as trade chips?

he has been steady and on his course. winging it? not remotely.

Old
01-28-2011, 07:49 AM
strungout
Professional Killer

Meh.

strungout is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2011, 08:51 AM
Drake1588
UNATCO

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
last season when Semin took the one year deal, most on the trade boards and some here thought that meant Semin wanted his bridge to UFA eligibility and was gone as soon as he could be.

THIS one year contract, makes no sense to those outside of the informed Caps fan unless its a sign and trade. Hossa signed a one year with Detroit to get a Cup. That didnt make sense but could be explained.

This is an unusual move, but Semin is an unusual guy and it seems to indicate that Semin in fact wants to stay in Washington. Why take a one year when you want to stay? I think we get it, but they dont
It's probably two things. He wants to stay in Washington, but 1) cash in when he does sign for term, and he hasn't had the kind of year necessary to cash in above the Backstrom threshold. Now it may be that McPhee never plans for Semin to exceed the Backstrom threshold, but that may not stop Semin from trying. If he can put up a 95-100 point season, he may feel he can sign for $8M/yr and term in Washington.

2) The expiration of this year coincides with the possible lockout season. It's just convenient to tie up a contract before that uncertainty and not have a valuable year in a multi-year deal threatened with a lockout restriction, or another possible rollback affecting the possible dollars on a long-term deal.

He's taking some risk, to be sure. The kind of money that a Toronto or LA or Ottawa was prepared to throw his way this summer would have been significant. He needs to stay healthy. It does suggest that the desire to get a palatable multi-year deal from the Caps is a preference.

Drake1588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2011, 08:59 AM
fsnoles98

Not a bad deal.
Key words for this deal to work:
Healthy and Consistent

fsnoles98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2011, 09:14 AM
Raikkonen
In GMBT we trust

If we can win the cup while Semin is on short contracts... then give him long-term and unleash every rookie we have =)

Half the salary cap will be on young guns and others will suck every available penny.

Raikkonen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2011, 09:21 AM
marcel snapshot

Quote:
Agree - won't happen and would make no sense.

Caps greatest need at this particular moment is not a second line center: it's a forward (RW, C or LW) who can put the puck in the net. Name a scoring forward that's available that fits that bill better than Semin. I don't think you can.

marcel snapshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2011, 10:19 AM
Funkyalligator

My 2 cents....semin isn't going anywhere I highly doubt he'd be able to thrive in an NHL environment other than the caps, he's just another piece while we might not win a cup this year it does allow us to plan for next year. The caps are going to be a team that veterans looking for a cup will join.

Funkyalligator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2011, 10:25 AM
Funkyalligator

While looking back I still think that GMGM is bothered by the pokaluk and gustafson picks both mid to late first round picks that didn't pan out. Gus wasn't much of a reach and with his fathers background seemed like a perfect fit but alas he was not although he started playing again. Pokaluk was just a reach for a very large defenseman who's skill dropped off a cliff once he got in our system. Than of course there are eminger and lepisto two defensemen we drafted who aren't playing for our team these days

Funkyalligator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2011, 10:49 AM
RandyHolt
Keep Truckin

vCash: 2743
George isnt perfect. What was on his GM resume before he got hired? Former Hobey, former tough guy... what is the grading system for GM's? First round busts? 4th round gems? A cup? Filling the stands and making a profit?

He has had a long time to get this thing sorted out. I have been hard on him at times, other times he gets a pass because i know cant miss prospects just... bust. There is luck involved.

But this team needs a cup, and finding that balance of winning a cup now (while Ovi is at his peak) and building for one 10 years from now, may just flat out may not be an attainable or realistic goal. I would swear preaching to the owner a long term vision, building america's team, is partly about job security.

On topic, I see his boy Sloan is in Hershey. I presume its a conditioning stint. I still dont like that signing.

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2011, 11:10 AM
Robert Theodorson

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
George isnt perfect. What was on his GM resume before he got hired? Former Hobey, former tough guy... what is the grading system for GM's? First round busts? 4th round gems? A cup? Filling the stands and making a profit?
1) I could have drafted Ovechkin, Backstrom, and Alzner, some of the more obvious ones

2) Not sure who these late round picks are

3) Guy has been Burke's underling in Vancouver and been in management for over a decade and hasn't got the job done, close is nice, but in the "real" world close will get you fired.

4) It's not hard when your competition is the Redskins, and god forbid the Nationals and Wizards

Robert Theodorson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2011, 11:20 AM
txpd

at least where Eminger and Lepisto are concerned I am fairly sure there is no regret.
Eminger became Carlson. How can that be a bad thing? Lepisto...i dont see regret there either. The Caps couldnt keep him at Hershey as a backup forever. Once his entry level waiver excempt status expired, the Caps had to use him or give him up. Which Caps defenseman would you replace with him?

Old
01-28-2011, 11:25 AM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
George isnt perfect. What was on his GM resume before he got hired? Former Hobey, former tough guy... what is the grading system for GM's? First round busts? 4th round gems? A cup? Filling the stands and making a profit? .
After his playing days McPhee went back to college for a law degree. Then "In 1992, McPhee landed his first major NHL management position, starting as vice president and director of hockey operations as well as alternate governor for the Vancouver Canucks, assisting then general manager Pat Quinn. With McPhee, the team made the playoffs four times, won a division championship, and played in the 1994 Stanley Cup Finals, which they lost to the New York Rangers." wiki

Old
01-28-2011, 11:25 AM
Atlas

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
explain what he has done that flies against he stated goals of keeping his team together and using his first round picks and blue chip young players on his team and not as trade chips?

he has been steady and on his course. winging it? not remotely.

Don't listen to what he says, observe what he does. It's an obvious pattern.

Trade deadlines: Panic moves for Corvo (didn't fit at all), Belanger (not bad, nothing special, summer UFA shenanigans w/ McPhee), a broken Jurcina (0 playoff games), and the washed-up tough guy from Carolina (1 playoff game). The year before he didn't do anything. The year before he brought in Fedorov (good one, short-term), Huet (extremely short-term). Years ago, he brought in Zubrus and Linden. These always fail because he doesn't have a blueprint beyond "Get Good Players."

UFA: Knuble, Nylander, Poti, Pothier, Morrisson, back to Friesen (Knuble was good last year but most these have been mediocre to bad fits).

Coaching: Bruce Cassidy, Glen Hanlon, Bruce Boudreau. Cassidy and BB were both selected quickly, without much forethought. That's McPhee's way at the birdseye level. He doesn't see from up high.

It's not that McPhee is all bad. He has good qualities. He's just not good enough to win the Stanley Cup.

Atlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2011, 11:28 AM
Hivemind
We're Touched

GMGM was voted, by his peers, the 2nd best GM in hockey last year. If you think you know GMing better than NHL GMs do, you're probably a hfboards poster.

Hivemind is offline   Reply With Quote