HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ex-Canucks Discussions - Part Three

Closed Thread

Old
02-11-2011, 12:14 AM
gobi

vCash: 500
I miss Grabner. He would be an upgrade over Tambellini right now. Otoh, I am not sure Grabner would have succeeded here under AV.

Old
02-11-2011, 12:05 PM
Rye N Kesler

Matt Cooke. Hate or ...Hate the guy. He has a point

Watching Matt Cooke's interview on TSN were he spoke to the media for the first time made me think that this guy does have a point, at least for this specific suspension. Many players nowadays have been putting themselves in such vulnerable positions that they are, in my opinion, partly at fault for their injuries.

Case and point Matt Cooke's recent victim who shoulder checks multiple times when chasing down the dump in and still feels the urge to admire his pass three feet from the boards.

What he should have done is made the pass and gotten close enough to the boards that he could smell the fans cologne on the other side. Taken the hit/pain from a good hockey check and carried on.

Regardless of who you are in this league, you would expect the defending player you are bearing down on to do just that and 90% of the time that is what happens.

I know I'm just re-iterating what some of you have been saying but I feel like there is a real issue on both sides of the spectrum in hockey right now. It's easy to crucify Cooke because of his history and I am by no means defending him for his previous infractions but this issue has become pretty common in hockey.

Case and point again, which hits close to home for Canuck fans, with Hammer. I don't think Hammer really ever saw him coming but he should have. He has to know that weak side pressure is coming and due to his track record with injuries is usually very good with that. This time, however, he slipped up. Getzlaf rightfully assumes that Hammer sees him coming and is aware he is going to have to take a hit.

Anyways, maybe I'm out to lunch and I don't see any change on this type of play in the near future, all this is doing is making the game softer and making a sort of "defence calls" type of scenario

Old
02-11-2011, 12:09 PM
BloatedGuppy

With the Hammer/Getzlaf situation that's a legitimate point. We don't need to turn the NHL into the no hitting league, and you can't have defencemen pulling up and deliberately turning away from hits to try and draw penalties or to neuter a forecheck.

On the other hand, Matt Cooke has committed so many flagrant violations of so many different varieties that he doesn't deserve the benefit of the doubt. He's going to get reputation calls and suspensions and they are richly deserved.

Old
02-11-2011, 12:35 PM
YouCantYandleThis*
Moustache Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloatedGuppy View Post
With the Hammer/Getzlaf situation that's a legitimate point. We don't need to turn the NHL into the no hitting league, and you can't have defencemen pulling up and deliberately turning away from hits to try and draw penalties or to neuter a forecheck.

On the other hand, Matt Cooke has committed so many flagrant violations of so many different varieties that he doesn't deserve the benefit of the doubt. He's going to get reputation calls and suspensions and they are richly deserved.
Exactly.

Getzlaf hit a player that unfortunately turned into the boards at the wrong moment, because he didn't have his head up.

Cooke, charged at a player and hit him clean in the numbers.

Old
02-11-2011, 12:43 PM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck

^You two pretty much sum up my thoughts on the matter. I was initially pretty peeved at the Getzlaf/Hamhuis hit, but after multiple views and some time to calm down, it was a player being physical(not a dirty play) and unfortunately Hammer was hurt.

Cooke may have some hits like that throughout his career, but he also throws in so many intentional dirty plays that he has erased any potential "benefit of the doubt" that would come his way.

Old
02-11-2011, 07:55 PM
John Swartzwelder
MOAR TUFFNESS!!!1

So grabner has 20 goals this season. Maybe GMMG should have traded Raymond instead.

Old
02-11-2011, 10:46 PM
Pondwaterpierre*

Michael Grabner is a straight up beast

If he was Canadian, Pierre Mcguire would sleep outside his house in a tree with binoculars.

Old
02-11-2011, 10:53 PM
Scurr

If he ever develops some finish he will be a monster. I don't think he'd get the icetime to put up those kinds of numbers on a good team but good for the Islanders to get a guy worth watching for nothing.

Old
02-11-2011, 10:54 PM
Pondwaterpierre*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scurr View Post
If he ever develops some finish he will be a monster. I don't think he'd get the icetime to put up those kinds of numbers on a good team but good for the Islanders to get a guy worth watching for nothing.
Florida should stop doing business with the Canucks.

Old
02-11-2011, 10:58 PM
Lucbourdon
Kefka cheers for Van

It's hard to argue it right now, the guy has 21 goals, is young, and probably the fastest player in the NHL.

Defence can be thought, Speed can't

Old
02-11-2011, 11:01 PM
xtr3m

2 G, 1 A, 8 SOG, +3

That's Ovechkin numbers. Actually, he's a goal better than Ovechkin now.

How many more years of Gillis?

Old
02-11-2011, 11:05 PM
erik19

In game 7 of the Stanley Cup Finals I will take Ballard on my team every day of the week and twice on Sunday.

Good for Grabs on the Isles though.

Old
02-11-2011, 11:10 PM
Outside99*
Sedins off Kas

I think it was between Grabs and Raymond and I for one picked Raymond. Raymond's been a big disappointment, and Grabs has exceeded expectations. Stuff happens - nobody can predict the future.

Old
02-11-2011, 11:11 PM
xtr3m

Seriously speaking, Grabner is a streaky player and bad teams usually heat up in the second half. Who knows what his development would be like here. Was sad to see him go, happy for him right now, happy to have Ballard.

Old
02-11-2011, 11:12 PM
AndyPipkin
PSN: Lord_Of_War

Kinda more po'd at Grabner for phoning it in during the camps. He obviously had the offensive talent, but the defence seems to be there now...So why couldn't he put it together in our camps...

Old
02-11-2011, 11:20 PM
me2
Seahawks 43

vCash: 1000
disappointing to lose grabner but lets not start slitting wrists. Imagine the D (and its what we have now injury wise)

Edler
Hamhuis
Salo
Bieksa (instead Ballard's leg injury)
(Sweat)

We be down to Ehrhoff,Rome, Alberts, Tanev + ? + ?

Ballard has given the Nucks depth to keep winning games through some horror injury streaks to the D. So have Grabs back would be nice and all but we've need the D depth.

Another way to look at it, we could have potentially traded for Grabs back in exchange for a very low pick (better for Florida than waiving him). So it wouldn't have been Ballard vs Grabs but rather Grabs vs a low pick. We could have had both if Gillis thought Grabs had a spot.

Old
02-12-2011, 12:05 AM
VanEric

He could certainly cure the Canucks offensive woes.

Old
02-12-2011, 01:38 AM
Momesso

**** me. Grabs is on god damn fire.

This is starting to hurt. I thought he'd score 30 goals in his prime. At this rate, he could pot 40 next year.

I don't understand why people think Gillis and AV had him as a bad fit for the 3rd line, when he had obvious chemistry on the 2nd with Kes and Ray.

It's just that offensively gifted prospects are so few and far between for this club. Argh - and this from a big Ballard fan....

Old
02-12-2011, 01:42 AM
Tiranis

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanEric View Post
He could certainly cure the Canucks offensive woes.
Yup, only 2nd in the league. Need that 0.01 goal to be first, dammit!

Old
02-12-2011, 02:46 AM
vanuck
Griffiths Way Goons

Very happy for Grabs. I also think he would've fitted in fine as a bottom six player here, but MG wanted to go in a different direction and we needed the D depth more than ever after seeing what happened in the playoffs. I'm glad to see him doing so well.

Old
02-12-2011, 03:02 AM
HANSENISBEST

I think people will forget about Grabner if the damn defense actually manages to be close to healthy for the playoffs. Having 6 D men that would be top 4 on any team in the league will be an asset I'm not sure many of you are realizing. I'm still not sold on Grabner either, I too, feel this is a hot streak. His shooting percentage of 15.83% is quite high this season in comparison to even his Moose shooting average (11.63%). That is very high, considering "snipers" like Dany Heatley (15.41%) and even the mighty Sidney Crosby (15.38%) have similar percentages for their entire careers, and I'm sure none of you would be comparing Grabner to them.

Old
02-12-2011, 03:14 AM
0123456789*

People do know that he likely would not have been on the team, even Florida waived him(which every person who has watched Grabner play knew was absolutely idiotic). What do people think the Canucks would have done after his camp? Keep him on the team as a contender, over who? He would have been forced to be waived also.

Gillis knew what he was doing.
A)Grabner was going in to the season not being waiver exempt.
B)Grabner would not clear waivers.
C)Grabner was not fully ready at the end of the season, I think his start to the season shows what Gillis should have suspected.
D)Grabner is a one dimensional player, he did not fit in to the team plan much like Shirokov. This compounds the above problems.

E)The team needed depth on D, it was a perfect opportunity. He knew Grabners potential, but in terms of team needs it made sense, especially when it would have been looking like having to lose Grabner for nothing during the season was a real possibility.

People sould be happy for Grabner, he wouldent of gotten this opportunity here. People should also be happy they got something for him instead of having to possibly lose him to waivers like Florida. Keep in mind that Florida is rebuilding, they are not a deep team and could have(and should have) kept him with the team easily. Vancouver was at the cap and on a deep team ready to compete.

And most of all people should be happy in seeing that our developmental system is working and starting to pay dividends. There are a few prospects looking really good in the system and drafting is not the main reason, its the investment by the team in development. Mark my words Shirokov will be the next Canuck tearing it up somewhere next year once he leaves(im assuming he will leave looking at the big picture)

Old
02-12-2011, 03:34 AM
Wilch
Unregistered User

You guys need to remember, Grabner has been given the chance to play proper 2nd line minutes. He might not get the same with us. That could've really hampered his development.

Old
02-12-2011, 04:44 AM
Evo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilch View Post
You guys need to remember, Grabner has been given the chance to play proper 2nd line minutes. He might not get the same with us. That could've really hampered his development.
This team's had Tambellini and Hansen (sometimes both) on the 2nd line for portions of this season out of necessity. There was certainly room for Grabner. If he was still here, we'd be able to bump Raymond down to the 3rd line to generate some offense.

The trade was upgrading an area of weakness from a position of strength, which is fine but some people are acting like Grabner had no place at all here, which simply isn't true.

Old
02-12-2011, 05:39 AM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evo View Post
This team's had Tambellini and Hansen (sometimes both) on the 2nd line for portions of this season out of necessity. There was certainly room for Grabner. If he was still here, we'd be able to bump Raymond down to the 3rd line to generate some offense.

The trade was upgrading an area of weakness from a position of strength, which is fine but some people are acting like Grabner had no place at all here, which simply isn't true.
Some people like GM MG? That seemed to be Gillis' assessment at the time of the trade. Gillis seemed clear at the time of the trade there was no room on the team for Grabner:
"With Mason Raymond's emergence, with our lineup, it would have been very difficult for Michael to get in. If Mason continues to advance and gets into the 30-goal category, our third line can't be constituted with guys who are goal scoring players. We were fortunate to have that kind of redundancy so we could look at trade like this."
http://communities.canada.com/thepro...redundant.aspx

It seems clear to me the Canucks did not see a spot for Grabner on the Canucks for 2010-11.

Closed Thread