HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

Back Surgery for Edler - Surgery Successful, 10-12 Weeks Recovery Time(Jan31st)

Old
01-27-2011, 05:59 PM
Jarko2004

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetcoaster View Post
Both Gillis and Salo said he will likely play in 2011 if he is able to return.
October 2011?

Jarko2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 06:02 PM
Tiranis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend Mayhem View Post
http://forum.canucks.com/topic/29489...h-defense-men/

^^^

Just thought I'd share that from CDC. Very funny. Starts of by calling Salo Swedish and then says we should not "hire" Swedish defenseman because Edler isn't very durable (first major injury ever)

The LOLs are to be had.
I think the saddest part is that he's not a new fan, registered since 2004 and has over 7000 posts. All you need to know about the quality of posters on CDC.

Tiranis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 06:05 PM
Reverend Mayhem
Freeway's closed man

vCash: 940
Send a message via Skype™ to Reverend Mayhem
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
I think the saddest part is that he's not a new fan, registered since 2004 and has over 7000 posts. All you need to know about the quality of posters on CDC.
Yeah. I left after all the Grabner fan boys trashed Ballard when the trade happened and I responded to them and the mods sided with the Grabner fan boys.

It's pretty ridiculous. Although it's only marginally better over here, but it's good enough for me.

Reverend Mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 06:05 PM
Topp Spin
STIHL 286

My buddy broke the news in our morning class today, and this flat out sucks...

Bad news for the Canucks. Edler has really progressed as a very good defense-man both ends of the ice. The canucks will miss his solid play in his own end, along with the points and physicality that he brings every game.
Good time for Ballard to step up and play a bigger role. I thought Ballard has looked really good the last few games and it seems like he plays better with an increased amount of ice time.

I just hope Edler recovers in time for the playoffs...

Topp Spin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 06:12 PM
xtr3m

This is getting hysterical, but what do we know about Dr Marcel Dvorak, Edler's surgeon?

"Dr. Marcel Dvorak was born in Toronto, Ontario and after two years of Chemistry at the University of Toronto, took his medical training at the University of Ottawa, graduating in 1984. Following a rotating internship at the Toronto East General Hospital, he moved to Vancouver, where he completed his orthopaedic residency training in 1990. Dr. Dvorak pursued spine fellowship training in London, Ontario with Drs. Stewart Bailey and Kevin Gurr and then in Bern, Switzerland with Prof. Max Aebi and in Paris, France with Jean Dubousset."

Quote:
  • After seriously fracturing my back after falling off a horse this doctor and his team helped me walk, run and ride again!! He is presumably a very busy man but he has always treated me very well. I would without a doubt refer anyone to this doctor.
  • after a laminectomy and a discectomy i am still suffering and marcel says its normal.. numbness will not go away pain should ease with muscle strengthening .... i will respond again in ten weeks.i have also found him very full of himself and basically dismissed all my questions and worries
  • Dr Dvorak is an exceptionally gifted surgeon. I was fortunate to benefit from his skills when I broke my back.
  • I would highly recommend Dr. Dvorak! I had two 8 hour days of surgery on my spine. I find him very caring, helpful and compassionate. He is very approachable, easy to ask questions to and spends as much time as you need with him. I can't imagine a better surgeon and was so happy I was referred to him. As far as I am concerned he is the best in his field.
  • I have had very compicated surgeries on my spine and Dr Dvorak is the Dr. that has done miracles in order for me to walk. I would recommend him highly.
  • I have had two back surgeries from Dr. Dvorak and find him to be an excellent surgeon. He has been very understanding and is thorough in explaining the problems with my spine. I would absolutely recommend him!
  • I suffered a spinal cord injury and was paralyzed from the neck down. Dr. Dvorak made the decision not to operate immediately but wait for the swelling to go down. He made the right choice and today I am walking and leading a relatively normal life. Dr. Boyd (VGH) told my wife that he thought I should have been operated on immediately and wouldn't walk again and have limited upper body strength. Dr. Dvorak's prognosis was right on from the time I was flown into VGH. He has been absolutely excellent since my release. He operated on me 4 months after my accident and is always accessible for any questions and follow up visits. Dr. Dvorak in my and my wife's eyes is absolutely wonderful and has our complete trust!
  • I have very mixed feelings about this doctor. I do believe he is knowledgeable and skilled. I was unfortunate enough to suffer serious surgical complications post-op. That was difficult enough to experience, but his very uncaring attitude and unwillingness to assume any responsibility made the whole experience even harder to bear. Because of this, I would have a hard time recommending him.
There ya go!

xtr3m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 06:13 PM
Winroba
Keep Calm, Kassi On

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarko2004 View Post
October 2011?
In December they said "some time in 2011" - they've just been playing coy and toying with people to look like they've got a lot more cap maneuverability than we really do.

Winroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 06:15 PM
Jobal

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtr3m View Post
This is getting hysterical, but what do we know about Dr Marcel Dvorak, Edler's surgeon?

Dr. Marcel Dvorak was born in Toronto, Ontario and after two years of Chemistry at the University of Toronto, took his medical training at the University of Ottawa, graduating in 1984. Following a rotating internship at the Toronto East General Hospital, he moved to Vancouver, where he completed his orthopaedic residency training in 1990. Dr. Dvorak pursued spine fellowship training in London, Ontario with Drs. Stewart Bailey and Kevin Gurr and then in Bern, Switzerland with Prof. Max Aebi and in Paris, France with Jean Dubousset.

There ya go!
I had surgery a few years ago. I was afraid to death because ratemds had extremely negative reviews about my doctor. It turned out he was friendly, knowledgeable, and humourous.

I'm inclined to believe that sometimes the patients are just rude, or only the ones with complaints go on there.

Jobal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 06:23 PM
Winroba
Keep Calm, Kassi On

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobal View Post
I had surgery a few years ago. I was afraid to death because ratemds had extremely negative reviews about my doctor. It turned out he was friendly, knowledgeable, and humourous.

I'm inclined to believe that sometimes the patients are just rude, or only the ones with complaints go on there.
It's this.

Only people who vote are people who try and find things to complain about. People who have a good experience generally assume that everyone will have a good experience so the ratings are extremely skewed.

Old
01-27-2011, 06:24 PM
CCF23

Send a message via MSN to CCF23
I can live with 8-10 weeks.

CCF23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 06:34 PM
LeftCoast

Quote:
Yeah. I left after all the Grabner fan boys trashed Ballard when the trade happened and I responded to them and the mods sided with the Grabner fan boys.

It's pretty ridiculous. Although it's only marginally better over here, but it's good enough for me.
I don't recall too many people trashing Ballard when the trade was announce. I do recall some disappointment that it meant we had no 1st round pick and were giving up Michael Grabner. I also recall some talk that Grabner was over-rated, all dash - no cash, a soft perimeter player, etc., etc., etc.

No one was missing Bernier too much.

However, objectively, we gave up a lot to get Ballard. Essentially 2 first rounders and a 2nd (although Bernier was originally a 1st round pick, he only cost us a 2nd). I have no doubt that down the road, this trade will be looked upon favorably. I also have no doubt that even now, most people are thinking that Florida were fools to waive Grabner.

Two years from now, Ballard will be a top 4 defender playing 20 - 25 minutes per night signed to what most people consider a very reasonable contract. In two years Michael Grabner, if he had ended up with any team other than the Islanders, I would predict that he would be an established NHL scoring winger who could be counted on for 20-30 goals per year. In Long Island - they will probably ruin him like they do all good young players. In two years, Quinton Howden will probably be a pretty good 2-way NHL forward. In two years, Steve Bernier will still be a 3rd to 4th line winger (a disappointment considering his one time potential).

Florida screwed themselves in this deal because they lost Grabner for nothing. Vancouver got themselves a core defenseman and the Islanders got another talented young forward to ruin.

LeftCoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 06:36 PM
rebel diamond

Quote:
He seems like a good type...

rebel diamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 06:40 PM
rebel diamond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid_Roll View Post

rebel diamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 06:46 PM
xtr3m

That's more like it!

xtr3m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
WolftheDentist

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel diamond View Post
Lollercaust

WolftheDentist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
David71

That sucks that edler is going under the knife for quite awhile. That means coach av has no choice but to play/give ballard more minutes 20+ to be excat, i hope he gets some powerplay time, and if he does thats where he will rack up most of the points/ assists playing on the first unit

David71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 07:00 PM
Winroba
Keep Calm, Kassi On

Even though it sucks losing Edler for 2 months or so, this is possibly the best thing that could have happened to us.

Hamhuis, Ballard, Erhoff & Bieksa all get used to playing roughly 20 mins a night to get ready for the playoffs and since every team is going to be pouring the pressure on us because we're a measuring stick then we'll be set.

It also gets Tanev & Sweatt more NHL experience if we need a call up for the playoffs

Rome & Alberts get to play their way back into playoff form, Edler gets rested and Salo gets back into game shape.

It sucks that Edler is hurt but the surgery is routine and he should turn out fine right in time for the first round of the playoffs.

Old
01-27-2011, 07:07 PM
YogiCanucks

Quote:
Could everybody stop hyping up Dr. Dvorak? I'm nervous. I hope everything goes well for Eddie and he's back by playoffs. (no pun intended)
Typical HF. Just looking at the stats. I bet none of you have even watched him preform surgery.

YogiCanucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 07:12 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

vCash: 50
condolences from a Wild fan...I knew Edler was going to be a great D man from his first year in and he's progressed rapidly. Tough to take, but the Canucks are so strong this year it won't hurt you too much in the standings. It might, however, hurt the Wild as you may give a few points away to other Western teams you might not have otherwise. :'( We need all the help we can get to squeak in so i'm cheering for the Canucks for the first time in my life.

rynryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
colonel_korn
Luuuuuuuuuu....lay?

I wonder who takes point on the first unit PP now? Bump Bieksa up, second unit is Hamhuis/Ballard?

I saw Samuelsson and Raymond on the point at various times last night, but I don't think either are better options than Ballard. Heck, I'd even go with Sweatt ahead of either of those two -- they should be playing up front on the second unit anyways so we don't have guys like Torres and Malhotra out there.

colonel_korn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Trends Analyst
Across the Universe

Quote:
Not to derail the thread but that site is awesome, luckily my surgeon who operated on me 4 times last year has glowing reviews on there

Trends Analyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 07:16 PM
Reverend Mayhem
Freeway's closed man

vCash: 940
Send a message via Skype™ to Reverend Mayhem
Quote:
Originally Posted by YogiCanucks View Post
Typical HF. Just looking at the stats. I bet none of you have even watched him preform surgery.
Say what you want but I'm still very nervous. He's the best defender - my favourite defender on the Canucks.

Btw, perform* and no I haven't.

Reverend Mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 07:17 PM
Tiranis

Quote:
Originally Posted by colonel_korn View Post
I wonder who takes point on the first unit PP now? Bump Bieksa up, second unit is Hamhuis/Ballard?

I saw Samuelsson and Raymond on the point at various times last night, but I don't think either are better options than Ballard. Heck, I'd even go with Sweatt ahead of either of those two -- they should be playing up front on the second unit anyways so we don't have guys like Torres and Malhotra out there.
I'm guessing Ballard will play on the first unit so they can keep Ehrhoff on the right side where he clearly prefers to be.

Tiranis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 07:25 PM
Winroba
Keep Calm, Kassi On

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
I'm guessing Ballard will play on the first unit so they can keep Ehrhoff on the right side where he clearly prefers to be.
Another option is possibly turning Bieksa & Hamhuis into a special teams pairing and let the other two pairings focus on ES

Let Bieksa & Hamhuis anchor the first unit PP and PK, Erhoff - Sweatt can play the 2nd unit PP and Ballard - Tanev can play the 2nd unit PK

Then roll Erhoff, Sweatt, Ballard & Tanev evenly on ES and let Bieksa & Hamhuis rest up a bit

Old
01-27-2011, 07:30 PM
hackey

Who's got a deeper defence?
Philly or the Nucks... probably about the same

The Flyers lost Pronger for 6 weeks and they were just fine
as long as Edler plays a few games before the playoffs

And it's Edlers 2nd major injury

He had that brutal high ankle sprain courtesy of Byfuglien in the playoffs last year.
Not sure if it required surgery, but it wasn't a back operation either

That was a 8 to 12 week rehab process during the summer

hackey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 07:33 PM
David71

Take hamhuis off the pp and replace him with sweatt. Erhoff ballard man the other units. Rest up hamhuis and bieska for even strengnht

David71 is offline   Reply With Quote