HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

Back Surgery for Edler - Surgery Successful, 10-12 Weeks Recovery Time(Jan31st)

Old
02-01-2011, 01:09 AM
deckercky

vCash: 500
That was an educated guess. Once they got in there and performed the actual surgery, they had more information and revised it to a slightly more educated guess.

They can also delay a return with a conditioning stint for the last few games if he's recovering a bit early and the cap situation doesn't work.

deckercky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 04:20 AM
orcatown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potatoe1 View Post
There was basically no chance they would waive Ballard so I don't see how it was an appropriate discussion.
Then you need to explain how you would have gotten Salo back in the lineup if Edler had not been hurt. The discussion at the time was how to get Salo back in the line up.

So how where you proposing to do this?

orcatown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 04:46 AM
0123456789*

After Salo comes back there wont be cap room available to allow Edler to rejoin the team until the playoffs.
Who knows, if some one else gets hurt and put on LTIR maybe Edler will be back closer to 8-10 weeks from now.

But for now saying 10-12 weeks works well for the team going forward(that estimates his return date almost to the day for the likely first playoff game)

Hell they knew Edler was having problems and waited until now to operate, for all we know they knew that this can take him out until the playoffs and waited a extra few weeks with the surgery. This way he is expected to return right at the end of the season, imagine him being cleared to play with a few weeks to play and Betman deciding to try and stir something up.

Im not disputing that Edler needed surgery, im just saying that the timing is rather convenient. Especially when the surgery can be put off for until later and the player can play, and the recovery is fairly risk free and predictable compared to other surgeries.

0123456789* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 06:54 AM
JuniorNelson

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by alesmarv View Post
After Salo comes back there wont be cap room available to allow Edler to rejoin the team until the playoffs.
Who knows, if some one else gets hurt and put on LTIR maybe Edler will be back closer to 8-10 weeks from now.

But for now saying 10-12 weeks works well for the team going forward(that estimates his return date almost to the day for the likely first playoff game)

Hell they knew Edler was having problems and waited until now to operate, for all we know they knew that this can take him out until the playoffs and waited a extra few weeks with the surgery. This way he is expected to return right at the end of the season, imagine him being cleared to play with a few weeks to play and Betman deciding to try and stir something up.

Im not disputing that Edler needed surgery, im just saying that the timing is rather convenient. Especially when the surgery can be put off for until later and the player can play, and the recovery is fairly risk free and predictable compared to other surgeries.
I do not think the timing is suspicious enough to warrant investigation. I am curious about why an already-injured Edler tries for the big hit in Nashville?

JuniorNelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 08:30 AM
Tiranis

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuniorNelson View Post
I do not think the timing is suspicious enough to warrant investigation. I am curious about why an already-injured Edler tries for the big hit in Nashville?

Tiranis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 10:21 AM
Lz68

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuniorNelson View Post
I'm sure Edler going to lay someones out with a huge hit right after hearing from the team doctors that his back all screwed up... Chances are he probably just had a little discomfort similar to a tweak and thought nothing of of the pain till the hit made it worse.

Lz68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 10:57 AM
Tiranis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lz68 View Post
I'm sure Edler going to lay someones out with a huge hit right after hearing from the team doctors that his back all screwed up... Chances are he probably just had a little discomfort similar to a tweak and thought nothing of of the pain till the hit made it worse.
Edler did not play against Nashville.

Old
02-01-2011, 11:50 AM
Lz68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
Edler did not play against Nashville.
I know he got injured against Dallas... I didn't think it was really necessary to rag on the guy for simple mistake like mixing up a couple game last week.

Lz68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 12:18 PM
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winroba View Post
That was Pre-Op on how long it usually takes but there are 12 weeks left in the regular season so this fits perfectly.
It's somewhere in the right timeframe. He should be back right around playoff time.

LickTheEnvelope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 12:44 PM
Canucker

Quote:
I know he got injured against Dallas... I didn't think it was really necessary to rag on the guy for simple mistake like mixing up a couple game last week.
Even if he did mix up the games, why is he suggesting that Edler shouldn't be hitting anyone as if it isn't his job to play physical? It seems pretty clear he's just trying to promote his "Canucks aren't tough enough" agenda.

Canucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 12:45 PM
Tiranis

Quote:
Given his posting history, I thought it was perfectly fair to call him out on it...

Old
02-01-2011, 01:06 PM
Winroba
Keep Calm, Kassi On

Hmmm.... if Edler was already injured, I wonder if Gillis asked him politely to wait until there were 12 weeks left in the season as if he had already known that it'd be a 12 week recovery time.......

Winroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 01:33 PM
Wisp

You guys are being silly gooses about this conspiracy thing.

Wisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 01:36 PM
Bucky Katt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winroba View Post
Hmmm.... if Edler was already injured, I wonder if Gillis asked him politely to wait until there were 12 weeks left in the season as if he had already known that it'd be a 12 week recovery time.......
Uh...no. That would never happen.

Bucky Katt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 01:54 PM
Winroba
Keep Calm, Kassi On

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucky Katt View Post
Uh...no. That would never happen.
so I can't have some conspiracy theory fun too?

Winroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 02:02 PM
Shareefruck

You guys are nuts. I would rather just have a heathy Edler with plenty of time to shake off the rust before the playoffs than having Salo in the lineup and throwing Edler in cold come playoff time, personally.

Shareefruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 04:57 PM
YogiCanucks

This consipracy stuff is dumb. THey would have done the surgery ASAP. Look at Salo, he's been ready for about 2 weeks (according to my sources) but they can just say he's "easing back in" or some crap like taht.

YogiCanucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 04:59 PM
0123456789*

Its not a conspiracy theory. Its simply making the best of a bad situation. The bottom line is that although risky, Edler could play out the entire season with his injury. Gillis looked at the options, probably weeks before Edler officially went for surgery. Gillis looked at the teams situation and decided the best case of action.

That was to.
A)Have Edler have the surgery now with a 90%+ chance to return for the first game of the playoffs with probably two weeks of on ice training before that.
B)Bring Salo in to the lineup during this time and bring him up to speed for the playoffs.

-If Edler had the surgery earlier then he would have been healthy to play before the end of the season but there would be no cap space available for him, bad situation.
-If he had the surgery later then he would have missed playoff games and not have had the maximum time to skate and and practice to shake the 2 months of rust.
-If he didnt have the surgery at all this season then he would have risked making it worse and missing the whole year and creating permanent damage.
-If He didnt have the surgery then Salo would be unable to rejoin the team and at his age and not playing since last year it would have taken a long time for him to shake the rust come playoff time. Meanwhile Edler will only need a couple games to shake his rust as he will only miss 10 or so weeks with a minor injury in the midst of a season(and likely skate within 8 weeks minimum).

Really Edler is more or less getting a rest and getting healthy, while Salo will have enough time to shake the rust(will take a while) and be the Salo we know going in to the playoffs.

Old
02-01-2011, 05:05 PM
0123456789*

Quote:
Originally Posted by YogiCanucks View Post
This consipracy stuff is dumb. THey would have done the surgery ASAP. Look at Salo, he's been ready for about 2 weeks (according to my sources) but they can just say he's "easing back in" or some crap like taht.
How is this a conspiracy theory??? Its simply good asset management. Had Edler had the surgery early he would have missed valuable playing time, and the more playing time he would miss the harder it would be for him to come back. As it stands now he should be skating probably 8 or so weeks after surgery and be well ready with little rust going in to the playoffs(maybe a a few games to get to 100% and thats it).

Also Edlers injury is not serious, he could play with it the rest of the season, he has played with it for a while anyways. This isnt a broken leg where it happens and thats it, its a nagging injury where you are flexible regarding the day you say thats it lets operate and go on LTIR. There was no real risk having Edler play a few more games before going for surgery. I can infact pretty much guarantee that the date Edler went for surgery was chosen with the Salo and cap space situation in mind and the start of the playoffs in mind.

Old
02-01-2011, 05:19 PM
0123456789*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shareefruck View Post
You guys are nuts. I would rather just have a heathy Edler with plenty of time to shake off the rust before the playoffs than having Salo in the lineup and throwing Edler in cold come playoff time, personally.
Edler has had a nagging back injury, no one is denying that. The fact of the matter is that there is a greater net benefit for the team to have Edler healthy come playoff time and Salo up to speed at the same time.

This means.
A)Having Edler miss as little number of games as possible.
B)Having Edler have the optimum amount of conditioning time before playing.
C)Having Salo play as much as possible from the time he is healthy until the playoffs.

Come playoff time I would rather have a healthy and rested Edler who will need maybe one or two games to get to 100% and a healthy and rested Salo who will have zero rust and be the Salo we know.

Lot better then having a unhealthy Edler whos injury can at any time worsen and he can be out for the year and a Salo who hasnt played in a year.

Old
02-01-2011, 06:33 PM
opendoor

You seriously think the team held off on back surgery on its best and most important defenseman until it made the most sense cap wise?

Back surgeries are far, far from a sure thing when it comes to rehabilitation time. Bertuzzi was supposed to miss 6-8 weeks with his and he ended up being out 5 months.

opendoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 06:55 PM
campbell_soup

I thought it was just a couple of delusional Oilers fans who were proposing this "conspiracy". Even when Edler is fully recovered, he's going to be rusty. You want your best players going into the playoffs at the top of their game and fully prepared for the grind of the playoffs, not by throwing them into the games cold.

This obsession of coming up with all kinds of ideas to get Sami Salo back into the line-up is so annoying. Without Salo in the line-up this year, the Canucks are on pace to set all kinds of franchise winning records. Salo coming back is just a bonus. It's not like the Canucks are clinging to a playoff spot and need him desperately. To try to get rid of the players who have contributed to the record so far (Bieksa, waiving Ballard, Samuelsson) or to fake an injury to the team's best defenceman just to insert Salo, who's coming off a serious injury, hasn't played in a year, and likely to get injured again, is so ridiculous.

campbell_soup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 07:06 PM
VanEric

People might have something if it were Keith Ballard who went out but it wasn't, it was Edler, who clearly hurt himself and Jamie Benn with a big hit.

VanEric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 02:06 AM
0123456789*

Well I give up. it would be nice if people were atleast aware of what type of back surgery Edler is having before they gave a opinion. I was just stating that it is obvious that the cap situation and Salos situation played a direct role in the timing of the surgery.

Before you respond to me saying this please educate your self on what type of back surgery Edler is having and why before you respond. Please.

Old
02-02-2011, 02:18 AM
0123456789*

Quote:
Originally Posted by campbell_soup View Post
I thought it was just a couple of delusional Oilers fans who were proposing this "conspiracy". Even when Edler is fully recovered, he's going to be rusty. You want your best players going into the playoffs at the top of their game and fully prepared for the grind of the playoffs, not by throwing them into the games cold.

This obsession of coming up with all kinds of ideas to get Sami Salo back into the line-up is so annoying. Without Salo in the line-up this year, the Canucks are on pace to set all kinds of franchise winning records. Salo coming back is just a bonus. It's not like the Canucks are clinging to a playoff spot and need him desperately. To try to get rid of the players who have contributed to the record so far (Bieksa, waiving Ballard, Samuelsson) or to fake an injury to the team's best defenceman just to insert Salo, who's coming off a serious injury, hasn't played in a year, and likely to get injured again, is so ridiculous.
I never ever heard anyone ever say anything about faking a injury. If you were to actually read what you seem to be responding to then you would see that. Edler had a herniated disk, he could have kept playing and it "could" of even healed by itself, but he has already been playing with it for a while and it hasnt healed enough. This means that it was likely enough that it wont heal by itself and it "can" get worse before the season is up. The team decided that in this case they would rather have him have surgery, the timing of him having the surgery is up to the team. Given the situation(risk of it getting worse and then definitively needing surgery and missing the rest of the season + Salo ready to return + lack of cap space + playoffs coming up) it meant that surgery was the best course of action AND the BEST time to go for the surgery was now(not earlier and not later).

IF the team was not deep on defense and didnt have Salo waiting to play and were fighting for a playoffs spot then they likely would have kept Edler playing hoping that it doesnt get worse until the offseason(at which point he would have surgery if it hasnt healed).

I also doubt Edler will be "rusty". He is going through a relatively simple procedure and will be skating in another 8 or less weeks. He will only miss two months mid season of playing time and at his age it wont take him more than a few games to get back up to speed in the playoffs. And if the Canucks have no injuries he will get eased in during the first round(Ernhoff, Bieksa, Balard, Hamhuis, healthy and conditioned Salo, Edler + Alberts, Rome and Tanev behind all them.

Last edited by 0123456789*: 02-02-2011 at 02:27 AM.