HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Back Surgery for Edler - Surgery Successful, 10-12 Weeks Recovery Time(Jan31st)

Old
01-27-2011, 01:07 PM
Pointystick

vCash: 500
This.

Makes.

Me.

Sad....

Pointystick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 01:08 PM
Barney Gumble

Good thing Ballard wasn't put on waivers!

Barney Gumble is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 01:08 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post
Canucks have been relatively healthy this year. I know it sucks that Edler is the one to get hurt, but with the Sedins being healthly (like always and Kesler being mostly healthy) I don't know if we can complain too much. Hopefully all those rumours about Salo never playing again were just MG blowing smoke and we'll see Sami back in the line-up shortly after the ASG.

If Edler is out 6-8 weeks and back in the line-up for the final week of the season (if there's room/someone else is injured), then I think we can see this as a bullet dodged.

Also, this pretty much guarantees the Canucks will have about 1.5 million + any salary they can shed to make a deadline acquisition if they want to.
How does that exactly mean we'll have $1.5M?

01-27-2011, 01:09 PM
Bobby Lou
We Surrender

Well, according to a lot of people Salo is our best defenseman so with him back in 2-4 weeks we shouldn't be too poorly off. It's time for Hamhuis and Ballard to really step up and show why they're paid those salaries. It's not just for depth, these guys need to be top-pairing defensemen regularly.

Bobby Lou is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 01:09 PM
jammyrft

Shea weber anyone?

jammyrft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 01:10 PM
ItsAllPartOfThePlan

Good thing we have Tanev and Sweatt who look like they can be counted on for the bottom pairing.

ItsAllPartOfThePlan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 01:10 PM
Winroba
Keep Calm, Kassi On

This is possibly a good thing... sure it sucks that Edler will be out but he should be back right away for the playoffs! Salo can work his way back into the lineup now and we'll be set for the first round.

Winroba is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 01:11 PM
Canucks5551

****ing **** on a ****! I still can't believe it

Any word on how far off Salo is?

Canucks5551 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 01:12 PM
Proto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetcoaster View Post
In 2001 after an injury in the World Championships Daniel Sedin had surgery for a herniated disc. He still needs to do a lot of pre-game stretching and treatments but it has not affected his play.
http://www.cbc.ca/sports/story/2001/...din010515.html
I would think a professional athlete would also have better stabilizing muscles in the back which would help alleviate some of the extra risks they carry (all of the twisting/impact on a near-daily basis). Hopefully Edler isn't forced to curb the physical part of his game that is developing so wonderfully.

Against by better judgement I am remaining positive!

Proto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 01:13 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canucks5551 View Post
****ing **** on a ****! I still can't believe it

Any word on how far off Salo is?
There's probably rumblings of a miraculous recovery! He'll probably play next game

y2kcanucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 01:13 PM
kootenayfan

Horrible news.

Wishing Edler a speedy recovery!

kootenayfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 01:14 PM
Dado

vCash:
Wishing Edler all the best with the surgery, and a speedy, complete recovery.

And, wishing Salo godspeed on his return to game fitness.

Old
01-27-2011, 01:16 PM
herbiberous

just bizarre how, no matter what we do, our d-corps always winds up depleted. nice to see the depth gillis has given us with guys like tanev looking pretty comfortable in the show.

call it canucks-fan-syndrome (CFS), because as much as i've been enjoying this recent run, i've been resigned to the fact that some kind of major injury was looming on the horizon. well, here it is (hopefully this is it.)

to take a positive from this though, it gives guys like sweatt and tanev a chance to get some big time experience with the club, while we are relatively safe in terms of our western conference seeding. also, if speculation about a 7-week recovery is correct, it means that's 7 weeks that elder isn't playing and, therefore, risking the possibility of a worse injury (the CFS is stroooong in me...)

this team has shown what it's capable of so far this year, but it won't mean a thing unless we do something in the playoffs. (i'm in montreal and i'm reminded of this any time i even think of talking smack about my nucks) if we have to drop a few spots in the final standings, but have the services of a healthy edler for an even healthier playoff run, then i'm definintely all for this surgery. gillis hasn't really effed up so far, in my opinion, so i have no complaints about them opting for this surgery now...

herbiberous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 01:17 PM
ubiquitous
*shink*

That's crazy, at least we didn't trade Bieksa for Filatov or a 4th line centre though.

ubiquitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 01:17 PM
Andy Dufresne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post

If Edler is out 6-8 weeks and back in the line-up for the final week of the season (if there's room/someone else is injured), then I think we can see this as a bullet dodged.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tn92 View Post
Better now than in the playoffs? God I hate having to look on the bright side.
We might need consider that he won't even be back for the playoffs??? Worst case scenario.

Anybody have any info on how long it generally takes hockey players to return after this type of surgery? Examples other than Daniel???? The net is full of stories of people returning to work after 4-6 weeks but NHL d-man is a little different than postal worker (obviously).

Andy Dufresne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 01:18 PM
Bobby Lou
We Surrender

I doubt this means much for guys like Sweatt and Tanev actually; knowing our coaching staff as soon as Rome and Alberts are healthy those guys are still going back to the farm.

Bobby Lou is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 01:20 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Lou View Post
I doubt this means much for guys like Sweatt and Tanev actually; knowing our coaching staff as soon as Rome and Alberts are healthy those guys are still going back to the farm.
Probably right. At this point though I'd rather keep Tanev over Rome. I just haven't been pleased with how Rome's played this year and I think he's taken a slight step back from last year. Tanev could actually use this icetime and gain valuable experience in Vancouver.

Alberts, OTOH, I would keep around. He's bottom pairing quality for sure, and he brings an element of physicality that this team needs.

y2kcanucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 01:21 PM
turbolp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobal View Post
Would you mind giving us an idea to what it was like?
My surgery was fairly major, due to a large bulging disc pressing against nerves and what not. 3 hour surgery, 5 nights in hospital, and about 6 months of rehab with minor issues to this day.

Most of my problems stemmed from it taking about 4 months for a proper diagnosis and then almost 2 months of waiting for surgery, which is why my rehab took a long time.

Edler should be able to rehab fairy quickly and will have a lot of support to do so.

turbolp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 01:22 PM
petrishriekandgo
Why not us?

Crimaney... so Salo back soon. We'll platoon it for the next month and then hope the troops (Salo, Alberts, Rome and eventually Edler) will be back and up to game shape when the playoffs hit.

NO MORE INJURIES ON D PLEASE!!!!

petrishriekandgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 01:23 PM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by herbiberous View Post
just bizarre how, no matter what we do, our d-corps always winds up depleted.
We still have four top four guys after the allstar break (not including Salo) - Bieksa should be ready by then. It's bad news to be sure, but it's not yet approaching the problems in prior seasons.

Barney Gumble is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
Crows*

**** **** ****. ****!

Thank you mg for not dealing kb3.

Just a quick google I found this quote on a site.

"You may begin bicycling and swimming about 2 weeks after surgery as directed by your doctor or physical therapist.
If you work in an office, you may return to work within 2 to 4 weeks. If your job requires physical labor (such as lifting or operating machinery that vibrates) you may be able to return to work 4 to 8 weeks after surgery.
Many people are able to resume work and daily activities soon after surgery. In some cases, your doctor may recommend a rehabilitation program after surgery, which might include physical therapy and home exercises."

Crows* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Trends Analyst
Squirrel!

Ouch.

Trends Analyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 01:24 PM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Lou View Post
It just makes sense, really. Alberts is an experienced bottom pairing defender and he was playing decent hockey up until he got hurt. To avoid a cap crunch when Alberts and Rome are healthy, both Tanev and Sweatt would return to Manitoba as neither requires waivers. Plus, Rome(as the 7th man) has a lesser cap hit than Tanev($750,000 for Rome vs. $900,000 for Tanev). While Sweatt makes less, he would be better served playing big minutes in Manitoba--and can be sent there without being lost on waivers--than being a 7th man. Rome is ideal for that spot.

I don't think it's a bad thing that these guys get more time in Winnipeg once everyone is healthy.

EDIT: And do we know for sure it's this disc injury everyone's talking about? The articles/quotes I've seen haven't specified any further than "back surgery"...

Mr. Canucklehead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 01:25 PM
Proto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauser View Post
How does that exactly mean we'll have $1.5M?
Before they needed to clear 1.8 million in cap space to bring Salo back. Edler's 3.25 or whatever coming off the books will clear up about 1.5 million.

Once Alberts/Rome are back I imagine Tanev and his 900k will be returned to the AHL. Canucks should have about 1.5 million in LTIR once Edler is put on the LTIR.

Roughly.

Proto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 01:27 PM
Kid_Roll

Kid_Roll is offline   Reply With Quote