HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Back Surgery for Edler - Surgery Successful, 10-12 Weeks Recovery Time(Jan31st)

Old
01-27-2011, 12:28 PM
Timmer44

vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Canucklehead View Post
It just makes sense, really. Alberts is an experienced bottom pairing defender and he was playing decent hockey up until he got hurt. To avoid a cap crunch when Alberts and Rome are healthy, both Tanev and Sweatt would return to Manitoba as neither requires waivers. Plus, Rome(as the 7th man) has a lesser cap hit than Tanev($750,000 for Rome vs. $900,000 for Tanev). While Sweatt makes less, he would be better served playing big minutes in Manitoba--and can be sent there without being lost on waivers--than being a 7th man. Rome is ideal for that spot.

I don't think it's a bad thing that these guys get more time in Winnipeg once everyone is healthy.

EDIT: And do we know for sure it's this disc injury everyone's talking about? The articles/quotes I've seen haven't specified any further than "back surgery"...
How long before Edler can be put on IR? Is it a week? Can Salo be removed from IR or does he have to wait a period of time after being removed?

Timmer44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 12:28 PM
tesplen

vCash: 500
Any updates on a timeframe for Alberts/Rome coming back?

tesplen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 12:29 PM
Tiranis

Oh for ****'s sake...

Tiranis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 12:29 PM
Hedberg
MLD Glue Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post
Before they needed to clear 1.8 million in cap space to bring Salo back. Edler's 3.25 or whatever coming off the books will clear up about 1.5 million.

Once Alberts/Rome are back I imagine Tanev and his 900k will be returned to the AHL. Canucks should have about 1.5 million in LTIR once Edler is put on the LTIR.

Roughly.
That would all depend on if Edler is back prior to the playoffs.

Hedberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 12:30 PM
xtr3m

Quote:
Edler's 3.25 or whatever coming off the books will clear up about 1.5 million.
Edler's 3.25 will clear up exactly that much, 3.25.

xtr3m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 12:31 PM
Horse
Go Canucks!

Ugh that's so ******. Why does our defense always fall apart? I won't freak out though as long as he's back for the playoffs (*crosses fingers*).

Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 12:32 PM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canucks5551 View Post
****ing **** on a ****! I still can't believe it

Any word on how far off Salo is?
According to Gillis and Salo - sometime in 2011.

http://www.vancouversun.com/opinion/...765/story.html

Wetcoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 12:33 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Before they needed to clear 1.8 million in cap space to bring Salo back. Edler's 3.25 or whatever coming off the books will clear up about 1.5 million.

Once Alberts/Rome are back I imagine Tanev and his 900k will be returned to the AHL. Canucks should have about 1.5 million in LTIR once Edler is put on the LTIR.

Roughly.
The Canucks don't gain any additional cap space by having Edler put on LTIR if they are activating Salo.

01-27-2011, 12:34 PM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
I would think a professional athlete would also have better stabilizing muscles in the back which would help alleviate some of the extra risks they carry (all of the twisting/impact on a near-daily basis). Hopefully Edler isn't forced to curb the physical part of his game that is developing so wonderfully.

Against by better judgement I am remaining positive!
There have been huge advances in disc surgery, treatment and rehab in the past few years so injuries that could have been career threatening are much less likely to be so.

Old
01-27-2011, 12:34 PM
Nuckles
༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Sidebar

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid_Roll View Post
When I posted the news on facebook, the first comment was that.

Nuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 12:35 PM
YogiCanucks

Edler is fantastic... and there are NO gaurantees but Salo > Edler when healthy. Definitely wouldn't WANT this to happen but it's not all that bad.

Salo will all of a sudden "be ready" to play.

YogiCanucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 12:36 PM
xtr3m

Quote:
In a microdiscectomy or microdecompression spine surgery, a small portion of the bone over the nerve root and/or disc material from under the nerve root is removed to relieve neural impingement and provide more room for the nerve to heal.
Quote:
The success rate for microdiscectomy spine surgery is approximately 90% to 95%, although 5% to 10% of patients will develop a recurrent disc herniation at some point in the future.
Hopefully this is the case.

Old
01-27-2011, 12:36 PM
Proto

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtr3m View Post
Edler's 3.25 will clear up exactly that much, 3.25.
No, it won't if "clear up" is read to mean "make available as cap space". Once Salo is activated, it will eat up the majority of the LTIR exemption the Canucks will receive from placing Edler on LTIR.

Proto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 12:37 PM
BloatedGuppy

Quote:
Originally Posted by YogiCanucks View Post
Edler is fantastic... and there are NO gaurantees but Salo > Edler when healthy. Definitely wouldn't WANT this to happen but it's not all that bad.

Salo will all of a sudden "be ready" to play.
Sami Salo is 36 years old and coming off a year without hockey and an extremely serious, career threatening injury.

If you're expecting a vintage Sami Salo to suddenly materialize in the lineup you're in for a disappointment.

BloatedGuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 12:38 PM
xtr3m

Quote:
No, it won't if "clear up" is read to mean "make available as cap space". Once Salo is activated, it will eat up the majority of the LTIR exemption the Canucks will receive from placing Edler on LTIR.
You're right. I just thought you were going into the "salaries are prorated" territory.

Old
01-27-2011, 12:39 PM
Tiranis

Quote:
Originally Posted by YogiCanucks View Post
Edler this season played significantly better than Salo has over the past few years.

Tiranis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Exactly. So the Canucks won't really have $1.5M to play with at the deadline unless they expect Edler to be gone for the rest of the season, then that $1.5M would eat up the remaining LTI exemption allowance we would have.

y2kcanucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
FrankRizzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAPiTA View Post

Let the gong show ensue. What did we do to the hockey gods to deserve this? I guess this pretty much guarantees that we go after yet another top 4 defenseman at the deadline.
I blame the starting of needless Canucks threads on the main boards by our fellow fans.

Serious, though. Its almost to be expected isn't it? This season was playing out as too good to be true for us Canucks fans. Lets hope for the best recovery possible, and that Salo is good to go.

Tsk tsk, our best defensman

FrankRizzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
YogiCanucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloatedGuppy View Post
Sami Salo is 36 years old and coming off a year without hockey and an extremely serious, career threatening injury.

If you're expecting a vintage Sami Salo to suddenly materialize in the lineup you're in for a disappointment.
Only a fool would expect that. No one is expecting him to go gong show right off the bat...

However, given time, he will serve us well. It's not like we're replacing Edler with Tomas Mojiz

Old
01-27-2011, 12:40 PM
Proto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauser View Post
The Canucks don't gain any additional cap space by having Edler put on LTIR if they are activating Salo.
I understand this, as my post indicates. However, before Gillis would have been reticent to spend any of that "free" LTIR space because he didn't know when Salo could/would be activated. If they're fairly sure Edler will be out until the post-season they can use that cap space to add salary for the stretch drive. That's all I'm saying.

Proto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 12:40 PM
Flik
Canucks fan for life

Holy mother of mercy. I saw the thread title and my heart skipped a beat. This is ****ing awful.

Flik is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 12:41 PM
Saren
Multi Pass!

Hoo-****ing-rah.

Seabrook at the deadline? Let's do it.

Saren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
YogiCanucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
Edler this season played significantly better than Salo has over the past few years.
No.. don't blind yourself. Salo, while not offensively as good as Edler, was a STUD on the back end and not prone to mistake (however rare they may be in Edlers new game)

Old
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmer44 View Post
How long before Edler can be put on IR? Is it a week? Can Salo be removed from IR or does he have to wait a period of time after being removed?
He can go on immediately and he can be designated LTIR immediately as well as all it requires is the Club doctor's opinion as to the injury and length of time the player will be out. Per the CBA:
(d) Bona-Fide Long-TermInjury/Illness Exception to the Upper Limit. In the event that a Player on a Club becomes unfit to play (i.e., is injured, ill or disabled and unable to perform his duties as a hockey Player) such that the Club's physician believes, in his or her opinion, that the Player, owing to either an injury or an illness, will be unfit to play for at least (i) twenty-four (24) calendar days and (ii) ten (10) NHL Regular Season games, and such Club desires to replace such Player, the Club may add an additional Player or Players to its Active Roster, and the replacement Player Salary and Bonuses of such additional Player(s) may increase the Club's Averaged Club Salary to an amount up to and exceeding the Upper Limit, solely as, and to the extent and for the duration, set forth below.

Old
01-27-2011, 12:42 PM
vancityluongo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuckles37 View Post
When I posted the news on facebook, the first comment was that.
lol, first thing I did when I heard too...straight to the pool, take Shattenkirk on waivers as a replacement.

I think this might have been bugging him for a while, and they simply decided to go to surgery now to prevent him from getting worse (and Salo is getting too good in practice to cover up for much longer...) As ****** as it is to have Edler out while he's playing like a top-10 defenseman, the timeline actually works out rather well.

Obviously, I'm not saying that they put Edler under the knife simply to get Salo back, just that maybe surgery could have been avoidable, but they didn't want to take any risks, and have the luxury of Salo being able to step in very soon.

vancityluongo is offline   Reply With Quote