HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Back Surgery for Edler - Surgery Successful, 10-12 Weeks Recovery Time(Jan31st)

Old
01-27-2011, 01:57 PM
Karl Hungus

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetcoaster View Post
Then Kesler rehabbed way ahead of schedule returned for the opening game of the post -season (and was promptly injured again in his first game back - broken finger).
http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/playof...ory?id=2834145
That's my favorite Kesler story. He apparently asked the trainers to amputate the finger so he could keep playing.

Karl Hungus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 01:58 PM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmythescot View Post
A tear? I thought it was a problem with his vertebrae. Maybe it's the same problem Hodgson had, then.
He was likely referring to a tear in the disc.
What happens with a 'herniated disc'?
As the spinal disc becomes less elastic, it can rupture. When the disc ruptures, a portion of the spinal disc pushes outside its normal boundary--this is called a herniated disc. When a herniated disc bulges out from between the vertebrae, the spinal nerves and spinal cord can become pinched. There is normally a little extra space around the spinal cord and spinal nerves, but if enough of the herniated disc is pushed out of place, then these structures may be compressed.

What causes symptoms of a herniated disc?
When the herniated disc ruptures and pushes out, the nerves may become pinched. A herniated disc may occur suddenly in an event such as a fall or an accident, or may occur gradually with repetitive straining of the spine. Often people who experience a herniated disc already have spinal stenosis, a problem that causes narrowing of the space around the spinal cord and spinal nerves. When a herniated disc occurs, the space for the nerves is further diminished, and irritation of the nerve results.
It sounds like Edler will undergo endoscopic microdiscectomy - here are the details of the procedure:
http://orthopedics.about.com/cs/hern...ureddisk_3.htm

Wetcoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 01:58 PM
Tiranis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl Hungus View Post
That's my favorite Kesler story. He apparently asked the trainers to amputate the finger so he could keep playing.
Henrik actually did that... now that's dedication.

Tiranis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 02:00 PM
Wisp

Henrik has actually had his finger amputated. That's why he's captain!

Anyways, the played a Gillis interview on 1040, and the jist seems to be "90-100% success rate, very common surgery, and his injury isnít expected to be the worse kind of injury of this type."

So, crossing fingers...

Wisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 02:02 PM
rye&ginger

Quote:
Originally Posted by YogiCanucks View Post
Meh, gets Salo into game action and keeps Edler fresh for the playoffs.

So what if we don't finish first in the league.
It would be nice, but not crucial. But if the difference was playing Philly 4 times at home vs. 3 times....

Quote:
A tear? I thought it was a problem with his vertebrae. Maybe it's the same problem Hodgson had, then.
No. Tear is in the disc. they are removing some of the disc, likely the part that is leaking out of the disc itself, to make more room for the nerve. IMO ignore the medical issue here, the rehab time is what matters.

http://www.spine-health.com/treatmen...-spine-surgery
" a small portion of the bone over the nerve root and/or disc material from under the nerve root is removed to relieve neural impingement and provide more room for the nerve to heal."

AND / OR. they may remove some bone and/or some of the disc. Bone heals faster than ligaments or discs, so dont worry about that.

Anyone else remember Edler missing some time for back issue a while back? I thought he did maybe 2-3 seasons ago.

Last edited by rye&ginger: 01-27-2011 at 02:07 PM.
rye&ginger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 02:02 PM
crazycanuck

Is the sky falling yet?

I really hope the Canucks don't put Samuelsson on the point on the #1 PP unit, we saw what happens last night, he gets lost in the cycle and next thing you know the PP doesn't shoot. I may get ripped for it but I'd like to see Bieksa on that unit.

crazycanuck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 02:03 PM
jimmythescot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetcoaster View Post
He was likely referring to a tear in the disc.
What happens with a 'herniated disc'?
As the spinal disc becomes less elastic, it can rupture. When the disc ruptures, a portion of the spinal disc pushes outside its normal boundary--this is called a herniated disc. When a herniated disc bulges out from between the vertebrae, the spinal nerves and spinal cord can become pinched. There is normally a little extra space around the spinal cord and spinal nerves, but if enough of the herniated disc is pushed out of place, then these structures may be compressed.

What causes symptoms of a herniated disc?
When the herniated disc ruptures and pushes out, the nerves may become pinched. A herniated disc may occur suddenly in an event such as a fall or an accident, or may occur gradually with repetitive straining of the spine. Often people who experience a herniated disc already have spinal stenosis, a problem that causes narrowing of the space around the spinal cord and spinal nerves. When a herniated disc occurs, the space for the nerves is further diminished, and irritation of the nerve results.
It sounds like Edler will undergo endoscopic microdiscectomy - here are the details of the procedure:
http://orthopedics.about.com/cs/hern...ureddisk_3.htm
I'd heard of it being called "ruptured" before, but not torn. Torn sounds very ominous, and you'd think that it would always require surgery. Rupture, to me, sounded like a high brow way of saying "sticking out a bit". I'm probably completely wrong, and I don't want photographic proof. I'm squeamish at the best of times.

jimmythescot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 02:04 PM
Shareefruck

Is Salo even close to ready?

Shareefruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 02:07 PM
Winroba
Keep Calm, Kassi On

http://communities.canada.com/thepro...k-surgery.aspx

Here's a Botch article on the Gillis press conference about Edler

Winroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 02:07 PM
Karl Hungus

Really!? I wonder why it doesn't get talked about more? I'm pretty sure Messier never did anything that bad ass. How did I not know Henrik Sedin had actually done this to himself? I'm surprised to hear that team doctors actually have the equipment to perform an amputation at the rink. That's a pretty big **** to anybody that calls Henrik soft.

I always feel strange repeating the Kesler story because I almost can't believe it's true. I do have a distinct memory about reading a quote from Kelser admitting it was a bad idea he had in the heat of the moment.

Karl Hungus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 02:09 PM
Winroba
Keep Calm, Kassi On

You can hear Mike Gillis' thoughts on Alex Edler's injury here: http://www.teamradio.ca/news/alex-ed...h-back-injury/

Team 1040

Winroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 02:10 PM
ddawg1950

Quote:
Really!? I wonder why it doesn't get talked about more? I'm pretty sure Messier never did anything that bad ass. How did I not know Henrik Sedin had actually done this to himself? I'm surprised to hear that team doctors actually have the equipment to perform an amputation at the rink. That's a pretty big **** to anybody that calls Henrik soft. I always feel strange repeating the Kesler story because I almost can't believe it's true. I do have a distinct memory about reading a quote from Kelser admitting it was a bad idea he had in the heat of the moment.
Hell, a real man would have just chewed it off and spit it on the ice.

ddawg1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 02:11 PM
AndyPipkin
PSN: Lord_Of_War

^ I didn't either that is intense.

AndyPipkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 02:11 PM
Bobby Lou
Moustache Power

vCash: 894
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shareefruck View Post
Is Salo even close to ready?
I believe Macintyre said the Canucks would have to make a tough decision regarding Salo (prior to the Edler injury obviously, which makes the decision 'not so tough') within 2-4 weeks...I believe that was during the intermission of the Dallas game?

Bobby Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 02:14 PM
Tiranis

Quote:
Really!? I wonder why it doesn't get talked about more? I'm pretty sure Messier never did anything that bad ass. How did I not know Henrik Sedin had actually done this to himself? I'm surprised to hear that team doctors actually have the equipment to perform an amputation at the rink. That's a pretty big **** to anybody that calls Henrik soft.

I always feel strange repeating the Kesler story because I almost can't believe it's true. I do have a distinct memory about reading a quote from Kelser admitting it was a bad idea he had in the heat of the moment.
Here you go:

Quote:
Henrik Sedin, the Vancouver Canucks centre currently spending the National Hockey League lockout playing for MODO of the Swedish Elitserien, had the tip of his left pinky amputated earlier this week, as a result of an injury he suffered in last Saturday's game against Mora IK.

Sedin broke his baby finger when slashed by a Mora player and the original diagnosis was that he would miss four-to-six weeks with the injury. Doctors told him that he could be back playing within a few days, if they amputated about one centimeter off the tip of his broken finger. Sedin agreed to move forward with the procedure.

Wearing a bandage on his pinky, Sedin told a Swedish television station that he did not believe the injury would negatively affect his career.

"I think it was the best thing to do," he said. "It should work. It's just one less finger nail to take care of."
Getting 1cm of your finger amputated so you can come back a little sooner. Crazy... haha.

Tiranis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 02:15 PM
rye&ginger

Quote:
I'd heard of it being called "ruptured" before, but not torn. Torn sounds very ominous, and you'd think that it would always require surgery. Rupture, to me, sounded like a high brow way of saying "sticking out a bit". I'm probably completely wrong, and I don't want photographic proof. I'm squeamish at the best of times.
Its layman terms being used by laymen. Torn is not used often when referring to herniated discs. In medicine, there are usually grades of injury eg. grade 2 sprain of ACL.

Torn = rupture = herniation.

broken = fracture

bruise = contusion

etc..

rye&ginger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 02:21 PM
deckercky

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazycanuck View Post
Another worry is the PP, we saw it last night with Samuelsson on the "point" on the PP. He gets wrapped up into the Sedins cycle. Edler was willing to shoot more often than not.
At a certain point, AV will try someone other than Samuelsson. How about that Ballard fellow on the powerplay? He at least will keep the puck distribution going better than Samuelsson.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Lou View Post
I'm not too worried about the PP; Edler is more the trigger man on the unit so Salo should be able to fill that role when he gets back (it's arguable if he wasn't injured it would have been his to begin with this season). Ehrhoff pretty much runs the #1 unit from the back-end, and Hamhuis didn't look terrible there last night...he's shown an ability to get shots through and generate rebounds so he may be able to fill in before Salo is back.

The second unit is a bit of a concern, I don't like either Samuelsson or Raymond back there very much alongside Bieksa. I'm all for giving Ballard a chance to establish some offensive confidence though.
Keep Bieksa and Hamhuis together IMO. Slot Ballard into the first unit until Salo is back and ready to play on the powerplay.

The injury sucks....but look at Detroit. We've been blessed until a week ago this season. If we don't suffer further injuries and Edler gets back at some point in the first round (possibly early second round) we shouldn't skip a beat.

I think this is much better for Salo, who'll get a chance to return and get up to game speed. If Edler is healed and back for playoffs, he won't be too off because he's been playing lots and he'll still be in shape. So assuming Edler is back for playoffs, this will let us ice the absolute best possible top 6 that any other situation would allow.

And on that note....Edler had better recover by Playoff time. Top defenceman injured out for two seasons straight would be too much to handle.

deckercky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 02:26 PM
jimmythescot

Quote:
Originally Posted by rye&ginger View Post
Its layman terms being used by laymen. Torn is not used often when referring to herniated discs. In medicine, there are usually grades of injury eg. grade 2 sprain of ACL.

Torn = rupture = herniation.

broken = fracture

bruise = contusion

etc..
Thanks. That makes more sense.

jimmythescot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 02:29 PM
Tact

So I guess Sami Salo is going to be our early deadline acquisition.

When asking MG if he will be a player at the trade deadline, his response will be; "Sami Salo was our deadline deal."

Similar to what he's going to say when we got Sundin mid-season.

Tact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 02:30 PM
Bobby Lou
Moustache Power

Another article...mentions Ballard needs to step up:

http://communities.canada.com/thepro...o-step-up.aspx

I don't agree with this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Province
Losing Edler is as big a loss as if Ryan Kesler or a Sedin went down.
Not that I want to discuss or even imagine the possibility, but a Kesler or Henrik injury would be about 150X worse if only because our centre depth is nowhere near our defensive depth.

Old
01-27-2011, 02:35 PM
Jobal

Quote:

I don't agree with this:

Not that I want to discuss or even imagine the possibility, but a Kesler or Henrik injury would be about 150X worse if only because our centre depth is nowhere near our defensive depth.
It's tough to say. I think Edler is either our 4th or 5th best player, behind the Sedins/Kesler perhaps Luongo.

It comes down to how good Ballard is playing heavy, difficult minutes.

Jobal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 02:36 PM
BloatedGuppy

Quote:

I don't agree with this:

The Sedins, Kesler, Edler and Luongo are arguably the 5 most important pieces of the team. I think losing Kesler or Henrik would be marginally more painful, but losing Edler is hardly low impact.

BloatedGuppy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 02:38 PM
clashed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobal View Post
It's tough to say. I think Edler is either our 4th or 5th best player, behind the Sedins/Kesler perhaps Luongo.

Bieksa also became more of a problem as he got more and more minutes with so many injuries in the playoffs last year. He has improved a lot, and hopefully he can keep to form with his increase in minutes.

clashed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 02:38 PM
Ernie

Yeah, that's true, the Canucks just happen to have a top 4 defenseman almost ready to return, and have 4 other very capable guys.

Edler is a great player but Salo is a very good player. The quality of play should remain strong.

Ernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 02:40 PM
Bobby Lou
Moustache Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobal View Post

I'm not arguing Edler isn't as good or doesn't contribute as much as those guys; all I'm saying is seeing Hamhuis or Ballard step into Edler's minutes isn't nearly as painful as seeing Malhotra step into Kesler's minutes. An injury to either of our top-two centres would be terrifying. An injury on defense (even to Edler) is manageable.