HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Matt Walker Clears Waivers

Old
01-29-2011, 11:52 AM
Jester

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by i am dave View Post
But he can be "recalled" in the off-season without passing through waivers, right?
Following the season, Walker and Leighton will reset to being on the big boys club. At that point, they would need be waived again in order to go back to the AHL. Until then, they are subject to re-entry waivers.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2011, 11:54 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWO View Post
No it wouldnt. If it happens now before the deadline, yes it would. If it happens after and your options are bartulis, no it isnt. It would be a risk worth taking to provide your team and players with the best possible option to win. If he gets claimed so be it.
The difference between Bartulis and Walker is not that much... and it's even less of an issue when you factor in the ice time we would give to our no. 6 come playoff time.

Old
01-29-2011, 12:04 PM
jb**

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
The difference between Bartulis and Walker is not that much... and it's even less of an issue when you factor in the ice time we would give to our no. 6 come playoff time.
i disagree as walker is clearly better imo. The coach obviously has no confidence in Bartulis at all. They might as well dress an extra forward

jb** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2011, 12:07 PM
Jester

Quote:
i disagree as walker is clearly better imo. The coach obviously has no confidence in Bartulis at all. They might as well dress an extra forward
Bartulis is a rookie, who has barely been able to play this year (which is on Paul Holmgren).

If Holmgren and Lavi are that concerned about Bartulis, then they should acquire another depth D on a cheaper contract than Walker (hopefully expiring) and then your problem is solved. Subjecting Walker to re-entry waivers is beyond dumb at this point looking at our cap space going into next year, which will almost certainly be quite tight once all roster spots are taken care of.

$850K doesn't sound like a lot when you're talking about it now, but if you look past this year it would matter a great deal to have that dead space.

Old
01-29-2011, 12:24 PM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
Walker is more seasoned, but I think Bart can be better if he got some confidence. He can still hit, is mobile and decent with the puck. Fine for a 5/6 guy, he just needs experience

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2011, 12:29 PM
jb**

Quote:
Bartulis is a rookie, who has barely been able to play this year (which is on Paul Holmgren).

If Holmgren and Lavi are that concerned about Bartulis, then they should acquire another depth D on a cheaper contract than Walker (hopefully expiring) and then your problem is solved. Subjecting Walker to re-entry waivers is beyond dumb at this point looking at our cap space going into next year, which will almost certainly be quite tight once all roster spots are taken care of.

$850K doesn't sound like a lot when you're talking about it now, but if you look past this year it would matter a great deal to have that dead space.
I dont care that he is a rookie, he hasnt been that good regardless of the reason. The coach does not trust him at all.
I think they will acquire another dman to be the #7 guy no doubt.
You think it is dumb i dont.

Old
01-29-2011, 12:35 PM
KimiFerrari
Messi Is God

Walker (when fully recovered) is slightly better than Bart , but with cap constraints he isn't better then Bart as a 7th Dmn + better scoring depth.

Bart also has a higher upside.

Let Walker get back into shape and test him out next year.

KimiFerrari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2011, 12:35 PM
Jester

Quote:
I dont care that he is a rookie, he hasnt been that good regardless of the reason. The coach does not trust him at all.
I think they will acquire another dman to be the #7 guy no doubt.
You think it is dumb i dont.
No, I think putting Walker on re-entry waivers is dumb. I have no problem with them acquiring someone else to be the #7 if they want that.

Bartulis has been fine, he just needs minutes. He's a young D, and that's what most young D that aren't studs look like when they first get out there. That is exacerbated by the fact that Holmgren put Bartulis in a horrid situation this year where he isn't getting minutes during the prime developmental period of his career.

Old
01-29-2011, 12:40 PM
jb**

Quote:
No, I think putting Walker on re-entry waivers is dumb. I have no problem with them acquiring someone else to be the #7 if they want that.

Bartulis has been fine, he just needs minutes. He's a young D, and that's what most young D that aren't studs look like when they first get out there. That is exacerbated by the fact that Holmgren put Bartulis in a horrid situation this year where he isn't getting minutes during the prime developmental period of his career.
I agree with except he hasnt been fine to me. I actually think the coach had more to do with Bartulis not getting a legit shot to be the #6 guy. Dont think the coach likes his play and some point he will be moved. Rather hold on and give him a shot next year then cut bait if he doesnt get it done.

When all is said and done they are 1 injury away from hurting a big strength of this team. I would be very shocked if they dont add another vet dman or a young guy who has been around a little.

Old
01-29-2011, 12:50 PM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovercraft View Post
Walker is more seasoned, but I think Bart can be better if he got some confidence. He can still hit, is mobile and decent with the puck. Fine for a 5/6 guy, he just needs experience
I agree with you on both points. Some players just need more time than others to mature and gain the confidence required to play at this level. One of the issues I have always had since the expansion days is the lack of development that the modern NHL players gets in the minors. It was not uncommon for players to spend years in the AHL before they could earn a spot with the big club. But times have changed and I sure as hell cannot do anything about it. Another one of my pet peeves (though it is off topic), Is Major League Baseball with the pitch count That really cracks me up.

Hockeypete49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2011, 12:56 PM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Quote:

That is strictly the Lavi's decision and no one else's. OB has not been fine he has been OK at best. I like OB but to keep slamming the GM when it is the coaches decision is incorrect to say the least.

Old
01-29-2011, 01:11 PM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
Quote:
Originally Posted by i am dave View Post
But he can be "recalled" in the off-season without passing through waivers, right?
Yeah he is automatically recalled in the offseason, with no waivers.

He would have too clear waivers again next season to be put back in the AHL

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2011, 01:12 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
I agree with except he hasnt been fine to me. I actually think the coach had more to do with Bartulis not getting a legit shot to be the #6 guy. Dont think the coach likes his play and some point he will be moved. Rather hold on and give him a shot next year then cut bait if he doesnt get it done.

When all is said and done they are 1 injury away from hurting a big strength of this team. I would be very shocked if they dont add another vet dman or a young guy who has been around a little.
Every team is one injury away from losing a big strength of theirs. We just lost Pronger for a month and were fine . . . we don't need to go out of our way to get more defense. I swear sometimes people think that we should be carrying second pairing defensemen as our #7.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2011, 01:14 PM
Jester

Quote:

With O'Donnell and Mez here, Bartulis never had a chance of cracking the top 6... and I think that's a direct byproduct to the playoffs. Which, sure, Bartulis was part of, but it was a bit of a panic move given the contract they had just signed Bartulis to.

Last summer Holmgren was in a position where he could have set it up so that Bartulis would be our no. 6 and then he could make a decision on getting a guy like O'Donnell depending on how Bartulis developed. He made that move preemptively, and at that point they probably should have just dealt Bartulis, because I just don't see how he's going to develop with us at this point.

Old
01-29-2011, 01:15 PM
jb**

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giroux tha Damaja View Post
Every team is one injury away from losing a big strength of theirs. We just lost Pronger for a month and were fine . . . we don't need to go out of our way to get more defense. I swear sometimes people think that we should be carrying second pairing defensemen as our #7.
thanks for your insight. i will keep that in mind

Old
01-29-2011, 01:16 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeypete49 View Post
That is strictly the Lavi's decision and no one else's. OB has not been fine he has been OK at best. I like OB but to keep slamming the GM when it is the coaches decision is incorrect to say the least.
OMG that is the best semantics argument I have ever seen. What is the difference, in your opinion, between "fine" and "OK"? I'm actually curious, because I view that as the same exact thing.

Who is slamming the GM for anything to do with Bartulis? I think he did a disservice to Bartulis by putting him in this position, but that has nothing to do with whether he thinks he's good enough to be the no. 6 or not. If they don't, fine...

That doesn't mean you waive Walker, send him down, and then risk him on re-entry potentially putting dead cap space on your roster for the next two years.

Old
01-29-2011, 01:17 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
With O'Donnell and Mez here, Bartulis never had a chance of cracking the top 6... and I think that's a direct byproduct to the playoffs. Which, sure, Bartulis was part of, but it was a bit of a panic move given the contract they had just signed Bartulis to.

Last summer Holmgren was in a position where he could have set it up so that Bartulis would be our no. 6 and then he could make a decision on getting a guy like O'Donnell depending on how Bartulis developed. He made that move preemptively, and at that point they probably should have just dealt Bartulis, because I just don't see how he's going to develop with us at this point.
If O'Donnell retires after this year I think they would probably give him a shot next year.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2011, 01:19 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giroux tha Damaja View Post
If O'Donnell retires after this year I think they would probably give him a shot next year.
Potentially, but who knows. They've essentially nuked a full year of development for Bartulis this year... which is a shame for him.

Old
01-29-2011, 01:19 PM
jb**

Quote:

Yes he never had a chance correct. However i believe that the coach didnt want Bart to be the #6 guy no matter what so they went and got odonnel. Yes Shooter could have said well make it work as he is your #6 guy but choose to listen. Just my opinion

I also have said like you they should have given him that chance then address the #6 spot if he faltered or if they felt they wanted a more veteran presence. Why he is still on the roster is a little surprising as you htink they would move him to get playing time. Maybe there is no market for him or shooter likes him, i dont know.

Old
01-29-2011, 01:22 PM
Jester

Quote:
Yes he never had a chance correct. However i believe that the coach didnt want Bart to be the #6 guy no matter what so they went and got odonnel. Yes Shooter could have said well make it work as he is your #6 guy but choose to listen. Just my opinion

I also have said like you they should have given him that chance then address the #6 spot if he faltered or if they felt they wanted a more veteran presence. Why he is still on the roster is a little surprising as you htink they would move him to get playing time. Maybe there is no market for him or shooter likes him, i dont know.
I don't think they dislike Bartulis... and I think there is absolutely a market for him. I would be shocked if they wouldn't have waived him (instead of Walker) if they felt he would get through and go to the AHL for the rest of the year. Bartulis is a young D, who at the very least looks like he can be a solid 3rd pairing guy, on a pretty cheap contract... not a bad deal.

Old
01-29-2011, 01:46 PM
mercury

Quote:
Following the season, Walker and Leighton will reset to being on the big boys club. At that point, they would need be waived again in order to go back to the AHL. Until then, they are subject to re-entry waivers.
Couldn't Walker come up in the playoffs as an emergency player if two defensemen go down? I mean, that should be the only way he gets back on the club, anyway.

mercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2011, 01:49 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercury View Post
Couldn't Walker come up in the playoffs as an emergency player if two defensemen go down? I mean, that should be the only way he gets back on the club, anyway.
I doubt they would let the team do that with a re-entry guy... it would pretty much make the entire system a waste of time, and give the Flyers (and other big spending clubs) a significant advantage. Simply wouldn't be fair to other clubs... especially when we have a couple of D that could come up to the team without going on re-entry (i.e. it isn't really an emergency, you just want Walker more than you want Syvret).

Old
01-29-2011, 01:53 PM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Quote:
OMG that is the best semantics argument I have ever seen. What is the difference, in your opinion, between "fine" and "OK"? I'm actually curious, because I view that as the same exact thing.

Who is slamming the GM for anything to do with Bartulis? I think he did a disservice to Bartulis by putting him in this position, but that has nothing to do with whether he thinks he's good enough to be the no. 6 or not. If they don't, fine...

That doesn't mean you waive Walker, send him down, and then risk him on re-entry potentially putting dead cap space on your roster for the next two years.
Funny guy you are jester. You just are set in your ways that is for sure It is to bad that in your mind OB's career may be damaged by the events that the HEAD COACH has put him in. I am not giving up on the young man yet. I for one believe in the professionals who run the organization. Do I agree with their every move? Of course not. However what Holmgren and the rest of the staff have done to date has been pretty damn good. They have put together a team that has a chance to make a good run in the playoffs where anything is possible. But if they won the cup people like you would say something along the lines like the other team had injuries or the other team did not match up well with us or some BS along those lines. By the way are you Howard Eskin by chance?

Old
01-29-2011, 02:04 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeypete49 View Post
Funny guy you are jester. You just are set in your ways that is for sure It is to bad that in your mind OB's career may be damaged by the events that the HEAD COACH has put him in. I am not giving up on the young man yet. I for one believe in the professionals who run the organization. Do I agree with their every move? Of course not. However what Holmgren and the rest of the staff have done to date has been pretty damn good. They have put together a team that has a chance to make a good run in the playoffs where anything is possible.
What did the head coach have to do with putting 6 D on this team that were clearly better than Bartulis? And who the F is giving up on Bartulis?

Quote:
But if they won the cup people like you would say something along the lines like the other team had injuries or the other team did not match up well with us or some BS along those lines.
"People like me?" Yeah, I've spent all this time talking about the Flyers... I'd be pissed when they won the Cup. Here's something you should probably do: assume that everyone on here, no matter their opinion on various moves, will be *ing thrilled when the Flyers win the Cup. Otherwise, they wouldn't use their free time up talking about the Flyers here.

As dumb as it would be to call up Walker on re-entry, the line of reasoning propounded above is infinitely dumber... Numerous people here that I disagree with to varying degrees, but we all are unified by a great love for the Philadelphia Flyers.

So, get over yourself. It's true that winning the Cup will not greatly change my view of Holmgren's intellectual capacity in the short term (just as the Hawks winning did not change my view of Tallon), but that has very little to do with the accomplishment of the team on the ice.

Quote:
By the way are you Howard Eskin by chance?
HAhahaha... ha... yeah. Good one? Maybe work on your delivery.

Old
01-29-2011, 02:22 PM
captainpaxil

im betting bart gets a nice little showcase over the next month before hes moved. hes trapped on the wrong side of the waiver wire on this team. not good enough to crack the lineup and no longer able to get playing time on the phantoms.

captainpaxil is offline   Reply With Quote