HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Matt Walker Clears Waivers

Old
01-27-2011, 02:47 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5500
Hmmm, some people need to be reminded that the Flyers haven't won the Stanley Cup yet.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 02:48 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Not sure if this was posted yet, but from tpanotch's Twitter:

Quote:
As I speculated weeks ago, sources say the Flyers would make a play for Erik Cole at deadline. Walker move may be start

DrinkFightFlyers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 02:50 PM
Jester

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KimiFerrari View Post
Posted in the trade forums, but I highlighted the most interesting part.

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/i...ting_Cole.html

So is it a reliable source? They seem to think it is guaranteed he will be sent down.
I believe you get something like a month to send a guy down if he clears waivers. At the very least, this creates flexibility if they do want to make a deal. Of course, if they want to be more aggressive... they could send him down immediately and begin banking even more cap space.

Honestly, Walker would probably be better served at this point going to the AHL and getting in some games. Of course, so would Bartulis.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 02:51 PM
mja
Negative Creep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Sticking with the coaching train wreck that was Stevens for so long was also, all Homer.

The buddy system with regard to coaches also appears to have had a decidedly negative impact on our farm system.
You know, I'm no John Stevens fan, but Stevens' first year was clean-up, the second year he went the ECF, his third he was ousted in the first round by the eventual SCC in a close series, and he never got the chance to finish out a fourth.

It's hard to quantify that a coaching train wreck, and equally as difficult to slag Holmgren too heavily for it.

At worst he was fired in the middle of the season rather than during the summer last year, meaning we "wasted" less than half the season that we ended up getting as close to a cup as we have been since 87.

mja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 02:53 PM
Villedelphia*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Cap space!! I like how the offseason is slowly undoing itself.

Villedelphia* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 02:56 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by mja View Post
You know, I'm no John Stevens fan, but Stevens' first year was clean-up, the second year he went the ECF, his third he was ousted in the first round by the eventual SCC in a close series, and he never got the chance to finish out a fourth.

It's hard to quantify that a coaching train wreck, and equally as difficult to slag Holmgren too heavily for it.

At worst he was fired in the middle of the season rather than during the summer last year, meaning we "wasted" less than half the season that we ended up getting as close to a cup as we have been since 87.
That was a coaching train wreck. The team lived off of special teams play (which Stevens had no hand in, by his own account), and was clearly struggling with the technical aspects of the game. Holmgren, by his own admission, went to Stevens and demanded that he draw up a new game plan for the forecheck (because his sucked)... it came out during the one year, that the team did not even practice 6-on-5 defense (ya know, something that happens often if you're winning games) until after a horrid game against Atlanta that Nitty held onto by the skin of his teeth.

It was apparent even in Stevens' first full season that he was in over his head, and needed more seasoning (just like the Eagles' recently departed Defensive Coordinator). Hitch got fired, and Stevens was standing there and couldn't turn the job down. He had a very talented group of skaters, and he could ride that to some wins, but the problems always manifested during the year (thus the long losing streaks).

Old
01-27-2011, 02:58 PM
KimiFerrari
Messi Is God

Quote:
I believe you get something like a month to send a guy down if he clears waivers. At the very least, this creates flexibility if they do want to make a deal. Of course, if they want to be more aggressive... they could send him down immediately and begin banking even more cap space.

Honestly, Walker would probably be better served at this point going to the AHL and getting in some games. Of course, so would Bartulis.
I would think that the Flyers want to most flexibility in cap terms, so hopefully if he clears, then he is sent down right away. Who knows, he might even be able to prove himself for next season?

I wish Bart could get some more games, but he is much more likely to be claimed on his contract if waived. And it very difficult to argue that he should be playing over OD at this point.

KimiFerrari is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 03:04 PM
The Cheat
Habitual Linestepper

Send a message via AIM to The Cheat Send a message via MSN to The Cheat

The Cheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Jester

Quote:
I would think that the Flyers want to most flexibility in cap terms, so hopefully if he clears, then he is sent down right away. Who knows, he might even be able to prove himself for next season?

I wish Bart could get some more games, but he is much more likely to be claimed on his contract if waived. And it very difficult to argue that he should be playing over OD at this point.
He shouldn't, but this is doing nothing positive for him... and they probably should have dealt him.

Old
jb**

Quote:

Unless they have a move planned in the next few days or they have decided walker isnt going to be the 7th dman, i do not send him down yet. Let it play out for a few weeks and make sure you have no injuries on the back end.

there is no argument at all. Not even Barts parents, johhny cochran, or jackie chiles could put up a valid argument.

Last edited by GKJ: 01-27-2011 at 03:06 PM. Reason: fixed quote box
jb** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 03:06 PM
jb**

Quote:
He shouldn't, but this is doing nothing positive for him... and they probably should have dealt him.
there may have not been any interest or they believe he will be a solid dman and refuse to part with him.

Old
01-27-2011, 03:09 PM
mja
Negative Creep

Quote:
That was a coaching train wreck. The team lived off of special teams play (which Stevens had no hand in, by his own account), and was clearly struggling with the technical aspects of the game. Holmgren, by his own admission, went to Stevens and demanded that he draw up a new game plan for the forecheck (because his sucked)... it came out during the one year, that the team did not even practice 6-on-5 defense (ya know, something that happens often if you're winning games) until after a horrid game against Atlanta that Nitty held onto by the skin of his teeth.

It was apparent even in Stevens' first full season that he was in over his head, and needed more seasoning (just like the Eagles' recently departed Defensive Coordinator). Hitch got fired, and Stevens was standing there and couldn't turn the job down. He had a very talented group of skaters, and he could ride that to some wins, but the problems always manifested during the year (thus the long losing streaks).
Yeah, but we're talking results here.

He wasn't going to do anything with that first year. It was already too far gone.

He took an extremely young team to the ECF. You can't call that a train-wreck.

He exited in a close series vs. the champs. I'm convinced that a better coach might have won that series, I'm not convinced that a better coach would have won the whole thing. Train-wreck is a little strong.

He was fired less than half a season later.

We didn't really "waste" anything with him. It's hard to call it a train wreck and it is hard to kill Holmgren for it.

Old
01-27-2011, 03:09 PM
might2mash
Post-apocalyptic

Send a message via AIM to might2mash
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Downie View Post
No.

As for Ellis, you can have him. If it really wasn't his fault that the D is so bad then explain why Roli has come in and posted 3 shutouts and a .922 Save %?
Because he doesn't want to go back to the Islanders. That's motivation enough.

might2mash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 03:21 PM
Kambo

Send a message via AIM to Kambo
I have Cole on my fantasy team. Whatever combo of him, Giroux, Richards, JVR, and Coburn giving each other points works for me at this point.

Kambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 03:21 PM
jd2210
Registered Non User

I didn't read any of the previous 7 pages on this so pardon me if it's been mentioned a million times but I wonder if the plan is to Lasse Kukkonen him for a month or so.

jd2210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 03:47 PM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbage Goal View Post
You can't look at how one goalie is performing behind another team and say that he'd put up the same numbers here. That's completely unfair. NHL caliber goalies are products of their teams more-so then the other way around. I bet if you put Boucher or Bobrovsky on a team like the Islanders or Devils or Sharks then their numbers wouldn't be too pretty either.

Nabokov hasn't played in the NHL yet and he would have followed a completely different path from the one he took if someone signed him. Ellis wasn't my ideal choice as I think he's only a backup, but I imagine that he'd be as good or better then Boucher behind this team. Turco, well, that's why I stay away from old players in general. Biron was definitely a great option and he's played very well for the Rangers, albeit in a backup role. I think he'd do great here. Mason, again, I like to stay away from old players, but there's no telling how he would do behind the best team in the league compared to the Atlanta Thrashers.

Not necessarily. We could have rolled three goalies or traded Boucher or something. No telling now what would have happened.

It's nice to be lucky and all, but it's not very smart to praise your GM and judge his talents based on how "lucky" he is. A bad poker player with a horse-shoe up his ass isn't a good poker player. He's just a bad poker player with a horse-shoe up his ass.

Holmgren had an extremely easy job this off-season. People said as much at the time. OD and Meszaros were decent moves, but I find it hard to give him a lot of praise for his off-season moves when he ****ed up so much and how simple it all really was.
WE have the best team in the league right now and all you can do is piss on the GM and tell me how ****ing lucky he has been all these years. Negadelphia at its finest

Hockeypete49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 03:48 PM
RoDu
Shagga likes axes

RoDu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 03:50 PM
UseYourAllusion

Cole would look fantastic in Orange and Black.

UseYourAllusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 03:54 PM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

If we managed to get cole, i would litterally **** my pants with glee. He would be such a perfect fit on the Richards, JVR line.

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 03:55 PM
Cinerary
The Inexorable

My internet and cable has been out all day, and this is the first thing I see when I get it back. Sweet.

Cinerary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 03:56 PM
RoDu
Shagga likes axes

Cole should come cheap, his numbers have been down a lot the last few years

RoDu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 03:59 PM
jb**

If they acquire cole who goes? Nodsie and a pick?

Old
01-27-2011, 04:03 PM
mja
Negative Creep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeypete49 View Post
WE have the best team in the league right now and all you can do is piss on the GM and tell me how ****ing lucky he has been all these years. Negadelphia at its finest
It's really something, isn't it?

We've already established that he's the luckiest human being in human history. There's no other way to explain the team leading the league at the 50 game mark. He's just "lucky". Very, VERY "lucky".

Old
01-27-2011, 04:13 PM
no1b4me

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbr2 View Post
Maybe this is for Leino?
This will have nothing to do with Leino. There is no reason to put Walker on waivers at the ASB for Leino's contract that wouldn't kick in until next year.

The Cole rumour has been going around since Monday so this could be why.

I wouldn't get excited about getting rid on Walker. It would be nice for him to get some games in the AHL just in time to come up for the playoffs.

Tell me this would you rather have Matt Walker or Oskars Bartulis as a 7th d-man for the play-ffs if someone goes down?

no1b4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 04:18 PM
Viller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbage Goal View Post
You both read into my comment the wrong way. I'm just reminding people of how important he was last season so that they don't talk like he didn't do **** for us.

As far as the Gagne deal goes, it's still just as horrible a deal as it was before.
How is it a horrible deal when they accomplished what they wanted with it?

Gagne went where he wanted and the Flyers got rid of his 5.25 caphit.

If Gagne is still around, the Flyers dont get Carter longterm for that price. No way in hell. He would have wanted more.

Viller is offline   Reply With Quote