HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Matt Walker Clears Waivers

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-27-2011, 04:37 PM
  #176
Terence Peterman
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 5,296
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viller View Post
How is it a horrible deal when they accomplished what they wanted with it?

Gagne went where he wanted and the Flyers got rid of his 5.25 caphit.

If Gagne is still around, the Flyers dont get Carter longterm for that price. No way in hell. He would have wanted more.
How would another player on an expiring contract suddenly make another player in entirely different negotiations suddenly want more money?

Terence Peterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 04:37 PM
  #177
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Doof Warrior
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Centreville
Country: Lord Howe Island
Posts: 50,876
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viller View Post
How is it a horrible deal when they accomplished what they wanted with it?

Gagne went where he wanted and the Flyers got rid of his 5.25 caphit.

If Gagne is still around, the Flyers dont get Carter longterm for that price. No way in hell. He would have wanted more.
Gagne wanted to stay in Philly, and Homer took salary back. We basically traded Gagne, immediately after a strong playoff showing, for a fairly crappy pick.

As for Carter, yeah.

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 04:42 PM
  #178
Viller
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 1,050
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Blaine View Post
How would another player on an expiring contract suddenly make another player in entirely different negotiations suddenly want more money?
I'm kinda hoping your not serious...

Salary structure sir, Holmgren has been building it since he was named GM. He's doing the same thing Holland as always done.

This works both ways, agent can easily use it against the GM to get more...

Viller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 04:53 PM
  #179
MountainHawk
Registered User
 
MountainHawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Salem, MA
Country: Vanuatu
Posts: 12,771
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KimiFerrari View Post
Only if you didn't have room in the year of the bonus. But I think that rule changes next year.
Any season where the CBA potentially 'ends' has no bonus cushion.

MountainHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 05:02 PM
  #180
Terence Peterman
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 5,296
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viller View Post
I'm kinda hoping your not serious...

Salary structure sir, Holmgren has been building it since he was named GM. He's doing the same thing Holland as always done.

This works both ways, agent can easily use it against the GM to get more...
He can build it the same way if he's letting Gagne walk anyway.

Terence Peterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 05:17 PM
  #181
Jester
Registered User
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: St. Andrews
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viller View Post
I'm kinda hoping your not serious...

Salary structure sir, Holmgren has been building it since he was named GM. He's doing the same thing Holland as always done.

This works both ways, agent can easily use it against the GM to get more...
Erm... Gagne and his expiring contract would have had zero impact on Carter or Giroux's next contracts.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 05:43 PM
  #182
SolidSnakeUS
Registered User
 
SolidSnakeUS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Pipersville, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 33,629
vCash: 500
Today is a good day that he's been waived.

SolidSnakeUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 05:46 PM
  #183
healthyscratch
Registered User
 
healthyscratch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Philly
Posts: 5,834
vCash: 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Gagne wanted to stay in Philly, and Homer took salary back. We basically traded Gagne, immediately after a strong playoff showing, for a fairly crappy pick.

As for Carter, yeah.
It also helped us get Mesz and O.D. Homer was over the barrel in that one, nothing he could do, really.

healthyscratch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 05:47 PM
  #184
DrinkFightFlyers
Provolone & The Neck
 
DrinkFightFlyers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: NJ
Country: Isle of Man
Posts: 14,676
vCash: 470
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Don't like the idea of trading for Gagne. Too risky on the injury front. Not to mention that I would guess there is less than 1% chance that Stevie Y would do this anyway.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 05:48 PM
  #185
DrHamburg
Registered User
 
DrHamburg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 1,344
vCash: 500
Honestly, I think Homer wanted Walker a little bit (He loves having a stacked defense). But it didn't help that he loaded up the cap before he dealt Gagne. If Gagne only wanted to go to Tampa why wouldn't Stevie tell homer the only way that gets done is if they take Walker?

Also, Homer low-balled all the goalies because he probably felt none of them were better than what we had. I fully believe he had envisioned giving Bob a chance this season. Like I said before Leighton at 1.55mil for 2 seasons is something Homer would have no problem with stashing in the minors if him, boucher, or bob didn't pan out.

As for Shelley, we all know he wants a Heavyweight on the team and he got caught in the moment the final 2 games against the Rangers were Shelley was actually good.

O'Donnell was a great pickup. Loved it from the signing.

Zherdev has been much better than expected imo. We all knew what he was but he has shown glimpses of being great here. With the depth we have, if he doesn't keep playing like this during the playoffs Lavi will sit him.

DrHamburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 05:49 PM
  #186
healthyscratch
Registered User
 
healthyscratch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Philly
Posts: 5,834
vCash: 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viller View Post
I'm kinda hoping your not serious...

Salary structure sir, Holmgren has been building it since he was named GM. He's doing the same thing Holland as always done.

This works both ways, agent can easily use it against the GM to get more...
So how is Gagne's contract even in the conversation about Carter's longterm? Carter's contract was based more on Richards' contract, Gagne's salary wouldn't have any impact.

healthyscratch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 05:50 PM
  #187
Jester
Registered User
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: St. Andrews
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by healthyscratch View Post
It also helped us get Mesz and O.D. Homer was over the barrel in that one, nothing he could do, really.
Meszaros was acquired prior to the opening of free agency on July 1st.

O'Donnell was signed July 1st.

Gagne was traded July 19th. The trading of Gagne had nothing to do with acquiring either of Meszaros or O'Donnell. Hell, they had signed Zherdev prior to trading Gagne... and, at the time, Gagne was still refusing to waive his NTC.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 05:55 PM
  #188
King Forsberg
16 21 28 44 68 88 93
 
King Forsberg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 5,837
vCash: 200
When the playoffs start we can "call up" walker with out re-entry waivers or having to worry about the cap right?

King Forsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 06:00 PM
  #189
healthyscratch
Registered User
 
healthyscratch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Philly
Posts: 5,834
vCash: 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Meszaros was acquired prior to the opening of free agency on July 1st.

O'Donnell was signed July 1st.

Gagne was traded July 19th. The trading of Gagne had nothing to do with acquiring either of Meszaros or O'Donnell. Hell, they had signed Zherdev prior to trading Gagne... and, at the time, Gagne was still refusing to waive his NTC.
It didn't? Homer was over the cap on July 18th because of the signings and trade.

healthyscratch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 06:00 PM
  #190
Jester
Registered User
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: St. Andrews
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timonen View Post
When the playoffs start we can "call up" walker with out re-entry waivers or having to worry about the cap right?
No.

The salary cap is no longer a problem, but waiver rules are still in effect (almost 100% positive on this... I know Gauthier couldn't come up).

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 06:01 PM
  #191
Jester
Registered User
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: St. Andrews
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by healthyscratch View Post
It didn't? Homer was over the cap on July 18th.
So... he'd already acquired those other guys. Trading Gagne helped get him under the cap, didn't have anything to do with enabling acquisitions that had already happened. It isn't like if Gagne stuck to his guns on not waiving his NTC he was going to ship back Meszaros, and un-sign O'Donnell.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 06:12 PM
  #192
healthyscratch
Registered User
 
healthyscratch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Philly
Posts: 5,834
vCash: 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
So... he'd already acquired those other guys. Trading Gagne helped get him under the cap, didn't have anything to do with enabling acquisitions that had already happened. It isn't like if Gagne stuck to his guns on not waiving his NTC he was going to ship back Meszaros, and un-sign O'Donnell.
Um ok, I didn't say it was. I was referring more to the salaries matching and cap issues and not that Gagne's trade actually leading to the moves. Sorry if I was too cryptic.


Last edited by healthyscratch: 01-27-2011 at 06:29 PM.
healthyscratch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 06:35 PM
  #193
DrHamburg
Registered User
 
DrHamburg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 1,344
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by healthyscratch View Post
Um ok, I didn't say it was. I was referring more to the salaries matching and cap issues and not that Gagne's trade actually leading to the moves. Sorry if I was too cryptic.
Everyone knew Gagne was going to be moved. I wouldn't be shocked if homer did all those moves and said to Gagne, for the good of the team we need to move you...and put a little guilt into him accepting the deal.

DrHamburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 06:35 PM
  #194
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul
 
Sawdalite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Girouxsalem
Posts: 5,899
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcticFlyerFan View Post
This will have nothing to do with Leino. There is no reason to put Walker on waivers at the ASB for Leino's contract that wouldn't kick in until next year.


The Cole rumour has been going around since Monday so this could be why.

I wouldn't get excited about getting rid on Walker. It would be nice for him to get some games in the AHL just in time to come up for the playoffs.

Tell me this would you rather have Matt Walker or Oskars Bartulis as a 7th d-man for the play-ffs if someone goes down?
Tagging... I've read conflicting statements, and one is that they cannot sign him due to not having enough Tagging Space... The other was that they could fit him in at what he will be seeking.

My guess is that it could be something that would both allow Leino to be signed AND allow them to take in a sweet little rental for Richie's other wing.

Sawdalite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 06:37 PM
  #195
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul
 
Sawdalite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Girouxsalem
Posts: 5,899
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mja View Post
It's really something, isn't it?

We've already established that he's the luckiest human being in human history. There's no other way to explain the team leading the league at the 50 game mark. He's just "lucky". Very, VERY "lucky".
Please tell me you merely failed to hit an emoticon icon.

Sawdalite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 06:47 PM
  #196
King Forsberg
16 21 28 44 68 88 93
 
King Forsberg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 5,837
vCash: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
No.

The salary cap is no longer a problem, but waiver rules are still in effect (almost 100% positive on this... I know Gauthier couldn't come up).
Ahh I see. Thanks

King Forsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 06:47 PM
  #197
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment
 
GKJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Do not trade plz
Country: United States
Posts: 116,381
vCash: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by healthyscratch View Post
It didn't? Homer was over the cap on July 18th because of the signings and trade.
And he wasn't on June 30th.

__________________
Philadelphia's Real Alternative
(ynotradio.net)

Stop Feeding the Rumor-Monger

"I wonder if Norstrom has Forsberg's spleen mounted on his wall." - KINGS17

My 50 Favorite Albums of 2014 (sorry it's late)
GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 06:58 PM
  #198
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul
 
Sawdalite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Girouxsalem
Posts: 5,899
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrHamburg View Post
Everyone knew Gagne was going to be moved. I wouldn't be shocked if homer did all those moves and said to Gagne, for the good of the team we need to move you...and put a little guilt into him accepting the deal.
Exactly... At the Town Meeting Homer told us that moving a player with a NMC is not hard... You just go to him -- IIRC Hartnell was the player in example in the question... and Homer answered like a straight shooter -- and say, Scotty, you are not in our plans going forward; we can find you a favorable place to land... No player wants to stay where he knows he is no longer wanted. (paraphrased)... I heard this with my very own ears.

Gagne pretty much stated that he didn't want to move and at first and for a while didn't agree to waiving his NMC... and then after he thought about it he said he really had no choice, when approached in that manner (paraphrased).

... I believe it very well may be that Homer had it set in his mind that he was going to eventually move Gagne and dealt with the roster with that established as a fact... knowing that Gagne would eventually waive the clause.

... As sad and bad as I felt and still feel... and how Gags has picked up his game recently... I believe it was the good thing to do in a business sense and the way the team is made up now is the best way it could be... shirt of perfect of course. I also feel that way about losing my favorite player, Knoob... It worked out for the best with the Flyers, although not for Knoob as he had an early tee-time.

Sawdalite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 07:09 PM
  #199
CantSeeColors
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Country: Seychelles
Posts: 5,472
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdalite View Post
Tagging... I've read conflicting statements, and one is that they cannot sign him due to not having enough Tagging Space... The other was that they could fit him in at what he will be seeking.

My guess is that it could be something that would both allow Leino to be signed AND allow them to take in a sweet little rental for Richie's other wing.
With respect to this, Walker still counts whether he's in the NHL or AHL. The system is a bit convoluted iirc, but I think it weighs the amount of time he's been on the NHL roster against his cap hit and that's his tagging value. As the season progresses this might open a tiny bit of space (maybe, not exactly sure how this rule works), but his number doesn't just go away when he's waived and sent down.

CantSeeColors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 07:13 PM
  #200
HoverCarle*
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,859
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
Id be fine with Gagne if he fit under the cap okay.

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:57 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.