HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > NCAA, CIS, and other college
NCAA, CIS, and other college Discuss college/university news, players, leagues, games, and tournaments.

Comley to step down at season's end

Old
01-27-2011, 03:04 PM
Oilers Chick
Hockey's Future Staff

vCash: 500
Comley to step down at season's end

For those of you who follow the MSU Spartans and missed the big announcement earlier this week, head coach Rick Comley is stepping down effective at season's end.

Here are some of my personal thoughts on Comley and feel free to comment.

I've had the pleasure of covering the Spartans for pretty much all of Comley's tenure at MSU and I, for one, am very sad to see him go. He's one of the favorite coaches because he was always approachable and no matter how bad/difficult things got with his team, he was always gracious.

My respect for him skyrocketed when he suspended Corey Tropp a couple of years ago. It wasn't something he wanted to do, but he did what he felt was right and for the betterment of his program. You have to respect that. And the Buffalo Sabres came out the big winners out of it all because they got not only a better player, but a better individual out of Tropp thanks to Comley.

It's been a tough last few years for Comley and MSU with people calling for him to step down, etc. But I, for one, will miss him when he does step down and wish him nothing but the best.

Oilers Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2011, 07:55 AM
RabidBadger

Thanks for posting this, OC. I'm a big fan of Comley and I think he's one of the true greats to have graced the sport. MSU will be hard pressed to replace him.

For those of you unfamiliar; Comley is 7th on the all time win list and only one of two coaches to win a national title with 2 different teams (Northen Mich. and Sparty), Jerry York is the other.

RabidBadger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2011, 10:31 PM
sbkbghockey

It's kinda sad to see Comley go, he's one of the greats in college coaching.

This is very intriguing with two Big 10 teams looking for coaches- Penn State moving up to DI and now MSU.

sbkbghockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 12:47 PM
Ottomatic

How will this effect recruits? Blake Pietilla only committed recently - was this coaching move expected?

Ottomatic is offline   Reply With Quote