HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

1/27 McGinn, Ferriero to Worcester

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-31-2011, 03:50 PM
  #76
210
Registered User
 
210's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Worcester, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 9,517
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJeasy View Post
I figure McCarthy. They have one more game without Nichol and McCarthy's game is the closest. After that they need one wing for the third line, McGinn or Ferriero. With everyone healthy, Eager/Nichol/Mayers looks like the 4th line which is written in stone. IMO, you are right on McGinn because of the waiver issue and his performance this year.

Questions of curiosity related to the future. Does Mash get much PP time in Woostah? Which line is he most frequently on 5on5, 1st, 2nd or 3rd?
Mashinter is ususlly on both 2nd lines.

I don't think waivers is an issue for McGinn because he would sail right through...

210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 03:54 PM
  #77
Jesus Toews*
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Davis, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 4,886
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 210 View Post
Mashinter is ususlly on both 2nd lines.

I don't think waivers is an issue for McGinn because he would sail right through...
I disagree. As lackluster a season as he's having I just can't see a team like Toronto not picking him up with their lack of forward depth and the fact that McGinn will be RFA this offseason and not command much of a raise, if he gets one at all. Although the point is moot because I believe he isn't waiver eligible until he skates in two more NHL games.

Jesus Toews* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 04:14 PM
  #78
210
Registered User
 
210's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Worcester, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 9,517
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnstyles View Post
I disagree. As lackluster a season as he's having I just can't see a team like Toronto not picking him up with their lack of forward depth and the fact that McGinn will be RFA this offseason and not command much of a raise, if he gets one at all. Although the point is moot because I believe he isn't waiver eligible until he skates in two more NHL games.
Historically players like McGinn seldom get claimed...

210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 04:24 PM
  #79
SJeasy
Registered User
 
SJeasy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: San Jose
Country: United States
Posts: 12,363
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 210 View Post
Historically players like McGinn seldom get claimed...
Is the reason because most orgs have their own version of McGinn sitting in the AHL? I can think of a couple from last year who just didn't quite cut it in the show and are now full time AHL.

SJeasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 08:33 PM
  #80
210
Registered User
 
210's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Worcester, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 9,517
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJeasy View Post
Is the reason because most orgs have their own version of McGinn sitting in the AHL? I can think of a couple from last year who just didn't quite cut it in the show and are now full time AHL.
That's my guess.

One thing that's overlooked by fans about taking a player off waivers is comparing the gain of having that player on your team vs the possible bad blood it may generate with the other organization which could result in having one of your guys claimed, them going after one of your free agents, missing out on a good trade deal, etc.

Now obviously teams are sometimes in such bad shape they have to take whatever is out there (and other GMs know when that happens), but Jamie McGinn isn't the kind of player a team is going to risk a possible better deal on by claiming.

210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 08:37 PM
  #81
SJeasy
Registered User
 
SJeasy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: San Jose
Country: United States
Posts: 12,363
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 210 View Post
That's my guess.

One thing that's overlooked by fans about taking a player off waivers is comparing the gain of having that player on your team vs the possible bad blood it may generate with the other organization which could result in having one of your guys claimed, them going after one of your free agents, missing out on a good trade deal, etc.

Now obviously teams are sometimes in such bad shape they have to take whatever is out there (and other GMs know when that happens), but Jamie McGinn isn't the kind of player a team is going to risk a possible better deal on by claiming.
That and the issue of roster spots. Not a good idea to waste one with a claim on a marginal player or prospect unless your team has serious injury issues. Those spots can be used for NCAA guys that might show a little more promise late in the year.

There are a couple of teams of which I am aware that have lots of spots under the 50, but it is not that many. Then there are a few on the other end that are right on the limit.

SJeasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 09:35 PM
  #82
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go
 
LadyStanley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: North of the Tank
Country: United States
Posts: 56,139
vCash: 500
Sharks at 49 active contracts (after picking up Wellwood and Eager). Plus four kids (in CHL -- including Anderson, who when he was up made the Sharks at max).

LadyStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 08:11 AM
  #83
210
Registered User
 
210's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Worcester, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 9,517
vCash: 500
My unofficial list...

NHL CONTRACTS
CENTERS
Logan Couture
Andrew Desjardins
Patrick Marleau
Jamal Mayers
Torrey Mitchell
Scott Nichol
Joe Pavelski
Michael Sgarbossa
Joe Thornton
Marek Viedensky
Kyle Wellwood
Steve Zalewski

LEFT WINGS
Ben Eager
Curt Gogol
Kevin Henderson
Tony Lucia
Brandon Mashinter
John McCarthy
Jamie McGinn
Frazer McLaren
T.J. Trevelyan

RIGHT WINGS
Ryane Clowe
Benn Ferriero
Dany Heatley
Cam MacIntyre
James Marcou
Devin Setoguchi
Tommy Wingels

DEFENSE
Dan Boyle
Justin Braun
Jason Demers
Taylor Doherty
Kent Huskins
Matt Irwin
Jay Leach
Derek Joslin
Joe Loprieno
Mike Moore
Douglas Murray
Nick Petrecki
Nick Schaus
Sean Sullivan
Marc-Edouard Vlasic
Niclas Wallin

GOALIES
J.P. Anderson
Thomas Greiss
Thomas Heemskerk
Antti Niemi
Antero Niittymaki
Harri Sateri
Tyson Sexsmith
Alex Stalock


AHL CONTRACTS
D-Ryan Constant
RW-Dan DaSilva
C- Cory Quirk


Last edited by 210: 02-01-2011 at 10:07 AM.
210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 09:48 AM
  #84
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go
 
LadyStanley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: North of the Tank
Country: United States
Posts: 56,139
vCash: 500
My list

http://icebergpix.com/h/contractcnt.html

I have Gogol as a forward.

LadyStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 10:05 AM
  #85
210
Registered User
 
210's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Worcester, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 9,517
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyStanley View Post
My list

http://icebergpix.com/h/contractcnt.html

I have Gogol as a forward.
He is a forward, and I edited the list. Before I posted it I ran a quick double check and had Mike Moore at right wing...oh well

210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:35 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.