HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Hockey Talk by Country > Northern Europe
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Northern Europe Norway, Denmark, Iceland

World Championships 2018

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-05-2014, 01:39 PM
  #1
Bagge
Registered User
 
Bagge's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Copenhagen
Country: Denmark
Posts: 489
vCash: 500
World Championships 2018

WC to Denmark in 2018?

http://www.bt.dk/ishockey/danmark-ha...om-ishockey-vm

(article in Danish)

I certainly hope so. It could provide us with the boost that Danish hockey needs. But lets take it a bit further even if we also qualifies for the Olympics in 2018. This would be the asset to take Denmark a step up, not on the elite level, but in the media and the general mind in Denmark.

Bagge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2014, 01:44 PM
  #2
Bagge
Registered User
 
Bagge's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Copenhagen
Country: Denmark
Posts: 489
vCash: 500
To elaborate on the bid for WC 2018 I can say that a new super arena is currently being build as we speak in Copenhagen with room for apx. 15.000 spectators. A training arena is also being build closeby. The other Arena in play will be Boxen in Herning that have room for the same amount of people.

Because of economical purposes all of Denmarks games will be played at Herning and all of Swedens games will be played in Copenhagen.

Bagge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2014, 03:05 AM
  #3
andersej
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Copenhagen
Country: Denmark
Posts: 440
vCash: 500
The new Copenhagen Arena will 'only' take about 10,000 spectators for hockey games.

Not to be totally anti-Jutland, but I would prefer a Copenhagen/Malmö co-hosted World Championships. Having the two arenas so close is unique in the world and would be an interesting selling polint IMHO. The distance between Copenhagen and Herning is about 50 km's (and a toll bridge) more than between Cologne and Mannheim who hosted the Championships in 2010. And there was a lot of complaining back then about the distance between the two arenas.

Alternatively, a Herning/Hamburg co-host would be at a similar distance to Herning/Copenhagen.

Unfortunately, the relatively small size of the projected Copenhagen Arena would make it the smaller of the two arenas and as such, Malmö would be the likely venue for the semifinals and the final.


Last edited by andersej: 03-06-2014 at 03:30 AM.
andersej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2014, 05:02 AM
  #4
dklap3
Registered User
 
dklap3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Herning, Denmark
Country: Denmark
Posts: 255
vCash: 500
^^ Is the distance really that big a problem today? Each arena will have one group so it's not like anyone has to travel back and forth many times.

And even if they did I really don't see that ~309 km should be that big a deal, but I guess we just don't view distances the same way.

dklap3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2014, 07:46 AM
  #5
Bank
Registered User
 
Bank's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Odense, Denmark
Country: Denmark
Posts: 952
vCash: 500
That would be awesome if we get it!

I can see the case for both, but if you wanna sell tickets it might not be a bad idea to spread it out a little. The Malmo/Copenhagen area properly won't sell more tickets on it's own vs. combined with Herning and central Jutland. Or at least that would be my guess. The most important factor will obviously be prices but still. For personal reasons I hope Denmark gets to play in Copenhagen though.

Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2014, 09:43 AM
  #6
Bagge
Registered User
 
Bagge's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Copenhagen
Country: Denmark
Posts: 489
vCash: 500
The hosting nation(s) have two nations they can place anyway they want before the world ranking divide the rest into two groups. Since they figure that Swedens games will most likely sell out if they are held in Copenhagen that leaves Denmark with Herning if they want to maximize the revenue. Makes perfect sense to me. Quarterfinals and beyond are all played in Copenhagen as far as I have understood.

Bagge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2014, 11:12 AM
  #7
andersej
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Copenhagen
Country: Denmark
Posts: 440
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dklap3 View Post
^^ Is the distance really that big a problem today? Each arena will have one group so it's not like anyone has to travel back and forth many times.

And even if they did I really don't see that ~309 km should be that big a deal, but I guess we just don't view distances the same way.
It can be a problem if you are relying on the same group of people filling both arenas. I was at a lot of games at the recent WJC in Malmö and there were a lot of fans hurrying from one arena to the other trying to catch more games on the same day. Let's face it, the Danish hockey community is not that big, so allowing the fans to attend games in both arenas on the same day would be a huge plus.

I'm sure having Sweden play in Copenhagen will draw a lot of Swedish fans. Maybe the same would happen with Germany in Herning?

I wouldn't even care if Denmark played in Herning or Copenhagen. Insisting on Denmark playing in my city is not the point of my argument.

A lot of the complaining in 2010 was from the teams and the journalists. And those complaints were the main reason the quarterfinals are now played within the same group instead of crossing over.

I was at the 2010 World Champs and I stayed in Cologne throughout, even though Denmark played in Mannheim. I guess I just like to combine my hockey with a bit of tourism and Herning doesn't have much of a draw for me as a tourist destination.

I think Denmark could do a solid job hosting with a Herning/Copenhagen combo, I just think the Copenhagen/Malmö option would be even more intriguing and unprecedented. Still, the thing that is the most disappointing is that they settled for a 10,000 capacity in the new arena. It really should have been at least on par with the one in Malmö.


Last edited by andersej: 03-06-2014 at 12:13 PM.
andersej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2014, 02:06 PM
  #8
dklap3
Registered User
 
dklap3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Herning, Denmark
Country: Denmark
Posts: 255
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by andersej View Post
It can be a problem if you are relying on the same group of people filling both arenas. I was at a lot of games at the recent WJC in Malmö and there were a lot of fans hurrying from one arena to the other trying to catch more games on the same day. Let's face it, the Danish hockey community is not that big, so allowing the fans to attend games in both arenas on the same day would be a huge plus.

I'm sure having Sweden play in Copenhagen will draw a lot of Swedish fans. Maybe the same would happen with Germany in Herning?
I kind of doubt the Germans travel in that big numbers, no matter if they play in Copenhagen, Herning or another place (outside Germany).

Quote:
I wouldn't even care if Denmark played in Herning or Copenhagen. Insisting on Denmark playing in my city is not the point of my argument.

A lot of the complaining in 2010 was from the teams and the journalists. And those complaints were the main reason the quarterfinals are now played within the same group instead of crossing over.

I was at the 2010 World Champs and I stayed in Cologne throughout, even though Denmark played in Mannheim. I guess I just like to combine my hockey with a bit of tourism and Herning doesn't have much of a draw for me as a tourist destination.
Which is one of the main reasons Denmark will be playing in Herning (most likely). No doubt It'll be harder convincing foreign fans going to Herning over Copenhagen, so let's just fill Boxen with Danish fans instead. I don't doubt it'll be 7 x full house of 10-12.000 in Herning with mostly Danish fans, just like the recent held handball EC. (unless of course DIU insist on crazy ticket price policy). For gamedays without Denmark it'll be hard filling the arena, and they'll have to make some very attractive ticket packages / prices, that'll most likely be the same in Copenhagen though on non Swedish game days.

Quote:
I think Denmark could do a solid job hosting with a Herning/Copenhagen combo, I just think the Copenhagen/Malmö option would be even more intriguing and unprecedented. Still, the thing that is the most disappointing is that they settled for a 10,000 capacity in the new arena. It really should have been at least on par with the one in Malmö.
Here we'll just have to disagree again. Not that I don't think CPH/Malmø could be good, but I just don't like these double country championships. I really think it looses a lot of it's charm by spreading it over more than one country.

I must admit I'm glad we didn't get it in 2017 with that absurd CPH/Riga bid. If this new bid is rejected because of Herning then fine, go ahead and try other options with Malmø, Oslo or whatever. But not trying with a real national bid, specially since we now have a suitable arena over here too, would be on the edge of being outrageous in my mind.

dklap3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2014, 02:53 PM
  #9
Bank
Registered User
 
Bank's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Odense, Denmark
Country: Denmark
Posts: 952
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dklap3 View Post

... I don't doubt it'll be 7 x full house of 10-12.000 in Herning with mostly Danish fans, just like the recent held handball EC. (unless of course DIU insist on crazy ticket price policy). For gamedays without Denmark it'll be hard filling the arena, and they'll have to make some very attractive ticket packages / prices, that'll most likely be the same in Copenhagen though on non Swedish game days.

I must admit I'm glad we didn't get it in 2017 with that absurd CPH/Riga bid. If this new bid is rejected because of Herning then fine, go ahead and try other options with Malmø, Oslo or whatever. But not trying with a real national bid, specially since we now have a suitable arena over here too, would be on the edge of being outrageous in my mind.
... Which would be nothing new at the IIHF World Championships. Plenty of games in Helsinki were down in the 3000s, and in Stockholm with the insanely high ticket prices there were games with just about 1000(Denmark-Slovenia comes to mind). I agree that, that would have nothing to do with big city/small city Pricing will be huge. If the DIU can get the IIHF to lower the prices a lot it would mean a boost in every day Danes interest in buying the tickets. This should be a WC of preaching hockey to the pagan.

Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2014, 03:43 PM
  #10
dklap3
Registered User
 
dklap3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Herning, Denmark
Country: Denmark
Posts: 255
vCash: 500
^^ Indeed. Maybe a World Championship in Canada could fill every single seat, but it probably wouldn't be possible anywhere else.

Princing for these games will mean everything. I really hope DIU has learned from Finland/Sweden how not to do it. A ticket for these non-Danish and Swedish games should probably be no more than 50 or maybe 100 kr at most.

But let's win the bidding before we start planning everything.

Regarding the lenght between Herning and Copenhagen: I did a little research on the lenght between host cities of previous and coming Championships. I really don't see this as being a big issue. Just add a special Hockey Train between the two cities and problem is solved.

Previous to 2003 more than 2 arenas were used so this is where we start:

2004 - Czech: Prague - Ostrava: 371 km
2005 - Austria: Vienna - Innsbruck: 476 km
2006 - Latvia: Riga: 0 km
2007 - Russia: Moscow-Mytishchi: 22 km
2008 - Canada: Quebec - Halifax: 1048 km
2009 - Switzerland: Bern - Zurich: 125 km
2010 - Germany: Cologne - Mannheim: 242 km
2011 - Slovakia: Bratislava - Košice: 401 km
2012 - Finland/Sweden: Helsinki/Stockholm: NA
2013 - Finland/Sweden: Helsinki/Stockholm: NA
2014 - Belarus: Minsk: 0 km
2015 - Czech: Prague - Ostrava: 371 km
2016 - Russia: Moscow - Saint Petersburg: 705 km
2017 - France/Germany: Paris - Cologne: 485 km

dklap3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2014, 03:44 PM
  #11
admire
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Denmark
Country: Denmark
Posts: 1,047
vCash: 500
i think there is no chance of a malmö/Copenhagen wc ever.
not sure the swedes would want to host with us and they would never allow malmö to be their host city.

admire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2014, 05:11 PM
  #12
andersej
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Copenhagen
Country: Denmark
Posts: 440
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by admire View Post
i think there is no chance of a malmö/Copenhagen wc ever.
not sure the swedes would want to host with us and they would never allow malmö to be their host city.
I think Sweden would be reluctant to try Stockholm again following the last two attempts. The federation doesn't have the money and the Globe Arena will be a relatively old arena by the time Sweden will get another shot at hosting.

It would be a major shift for the Swedes to host outside of Stockholm, but I think they are just about ready to look at other options.

andersej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2014, 11:58 PM
  #13
robwangjing
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Beijing
Country: China
Posts: 206
vCash: 500
"A year ago, a Danish / Latvian fællesbud the World Cup in 2017 beaten by a French / German constellation. DIU considered in the autumn to look together with either Oslo or Malmö, but chose to go alone."

This sounded interesting. Copenhagen and Oslo could be interesting.

But I hope that Denmark can get this WC! It's the first one after all.

robwangjing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2014, 03:04 AM
  #14
stv11
Global Moderator
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 1,874
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by andersej View Post
A lot of the complaining in 2010 was from the teams and the journalists. And those complaints were the main reason the quarterfinals are now played within the same group instead of crossing over.
They play the quarterfinals in the same group when the distance between both arenas makes it impractical to move teams just for one game, like in 2008, 2012 and 2013 (it would have been the same in 2007 before the 2nd arena was moved from St Petersburg to Mytishchi). If the distances are reasonable, which would be the base in a WC held in Denmark only, there will be crossovers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andersej View Post
I think Sweden would be reluctant to try Stockholm again following the last two attempts. The federation doesn't have the money and the Globe Arena will be a relatively old arena by the time Sweden will get another shot at hosting.

It would be a major shift for the Swedes to host outside of Stockholm, but I think they are just about ready to look at other options.
The last WC held in Sweden only was entirely outside of Stockholm, so I don't think it would be a problem. And as they lost money these last two years, I'm sure they will want to try something else next time.

stv11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2014, 05:33 AM
  #15
Bagge
Registered User
 
Bagge's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Copenhagen
Country: Denmark
Posts: 489
vCash: 500
It has just been confirmed that Denmarks bid for 2018 WC has won. Unfortunately we applied by mistake for the womens WC2018 and not the mens. So to sum it up here on april 1st. WC2018 is coming to Denmark.

Bagge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2014, 07:39 AM
  #16
Exarz
Registered User
 
Exarz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Västerås
Country: Sweden
Posts: 1,448
vCash: 50
I think Denmark is a good way to go, after being close to get the 2017 WC. As you say, if Sweden would play in Copenhagen would draw a lot of attendance. I hope IIHF puts the groups strategically where it's best, since you want as high attendance as possible and earn as much money as possible!

Denmark for 2018, yes please!

Exarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2014, 08:08 AM
  #17
Justinov
Registered User
 
Justinov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Copenhagen
Country: Denmark
Posts: 3,584
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagge View Post
It has just been confirmed that Denmarks bid for 2018 WC has won. Unfortunately we applied by mistake for the womens WC2018 and not the mens. So to sum it up here on april 1st. WC2018 is coming to Denmark.
that's a good 1'st of April joke - when it could be true .
Also Denmark felt that windmills are no enough, so we are going to base our energy consumption on electric eels
http://www.dr.dk/Nyheder/Viden/Miljo...3/31122532.htm

Justinov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2014, 12:45 PM
  #18
Urbanskog
Platinum Member
 
Urbanskog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Espoo
Country: Finland
Posts: 1,596
vCash: 50
If there's any truth behind this, I'd rather see it being hosted between New York City and London:

Urbanskog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2014, 05:35 PM
  #19
TheFatOne
Mr.Negativo
 
TheFatOne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Malmö, Sweden
Country: Sweden
Posts: 4,905
vCash: 500
If Norway can have a WC, so could Denmark.

TheFatOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2014, 03:56 AM
  #20
dklap3
Registered User
 
dklap3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Herning, Denmark
Country: Denmark
Posts: 255
vCash: 500
Looking at this years tournament, it's really a shame Denmark is bidding for the 2018 edition, another Olympic year. It'll most likely be just as lame as this year.

If they want the WC to mean anything they need to stop having it every year. Maybe the big nations would actually care if it was just every 4th year, between Olympics.

dklap3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2014, 07:08 AM
  #21
Jevo
Registered User
 
Jevo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Country: Denmark
Posts: 2,588
vCash: 500
Having it in an Olympic year would be great for attention from those who are not hardcore hockey fans. If Denmark qualifies for 2018 Olympics, the tournament will still be fresh in mind once the WC rolls around. And hopefully some hype will have been established. That it's "lame" won't matter unless you are a hardcore hockey fan, because either you can't really tell the difference, and you probably won't even be aware that lots of world class players are missing. And the hardcore fans will be watching anyway.

Jevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2014, 07:18 AM
  #22
Justinov
Registered User
 
Justinov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Copenhagen
Country: Denmark
Posts: 3,584
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jevo View Post
Having it in an Olympic year would be great for attention from those who are not hardcore hockey fans. If Denmark qualifies for 2018 Olympics, the tournament will still be fresh in mind once the WC rolls around. And hopefully some hype will have been established. That it's "lame" won't matter unless you are a hardcore hockey fan, because either you can't really tell the difference, and you probably won't even be aware that lots of world class players are missing. And the hardcore fans will be watching anyway.
Agree here it could create a snowball effect of interest.
With “lame“ competition Denmark on home soil might do better than otherwise.

Justinov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2014, 07:26 AM
  #23
dklap3
Registered User
 
dklap3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Herning, Denmark
Country: Denmark
Posts: 255
vCash: 500
/\ Sure, it would most likely make out chance of a little succes bigger (= a quarterfinal), but I guess I just don't see much point of a World Championsship if the best players aren't participating.

I think the WC would get much more attention if it was only every 4th year and the best players were playing.

A part from the hardcore fans, nobody seems to care as it is now.

dklap3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2014, 07:47 AM
  #24
Justinov
Registered User
 
Justinov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Copenhagen
Country: Denmark
Posts: 3,584
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dklap3 View Post
/\ Sure, it would most likely make out chance of a little succes bigger (= a quarterfinal), but I guess I just don't see much point of a World Championsship if the best players aren't participating.

I think the WC would get much more attention if it was only every 4th year and the best players were playing.

A part from the hardcore fans, nobody seems to care as it is now.
Then the goal must to create many more hardcore fan

Justinov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2014, 08:03 AM
  #25
admire
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Denmark
Country: Denmark
Posts: 1,047
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dklap3 View Post
/\ Sure, it would most likely make out chance of a little succes bigger (= a quarterfinal), but I guess I just don't see much point of a World Championsship if the best players aren't participating.

I think the WC would get much more attention if it was only every 4th year and the best players were playing.

A part from the hardcore fans, nobody seems to care as it is now.
Fine then don't watch. WC is never best on best.

So tired of the constant trashing of this tournament

admire is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:54 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2015 All Rights Reserved.