HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Describing the post lock-out NHL in one word.....

Old
01-30-2011, 08:47 PM
_P_

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to _P_
Describing the post lock-out NHL in one word.....

Gimmicky.

Rules changes, all star games, you name it.
They are pandering to fans they don't have at the expense of the fans they do.

_P_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2011, 08:50 PM
JasonDoig*

Quote:
Originally Posted by _P_ View Post
Gimmicky.

Outside of the shootout, what rule changes have been "gimmicky"?

The All-Star game has been a gimmick for the past 35 years. That has nothing to do with the lockout.

JasonDoig* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2011, 08:51 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

I can only speak for myself, but I seriously doubt we're "losing fans" with the all star game.

Which, by the way, is not a recent addition.

Oh no, the shot off the crossbar is now in the offensive zone? I'll just stop watching hockey then.

01-30-2011, 08:54 PM
lovetherangers

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonDoig View Post
Outside of the shootout, what rule changes have been "gimmicky"?

The All-Star game has been a gimmick for the past 35 years. That has nothing to do with the lockout.
The shootout is a gimmick for sure. If anything the gimmicks began with Bettman, not the lockout. Who can forget the glowing puck. UGH

lovetherangers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2011, 08:58 PM
JeffMangum
Registered Ab-user

I don't get the All-Star game hate. It's supposed to be a relaxed event to rest the players and cool off. I for one enjoy the festivities, and don't let little minor things both me like some people.

01-30-2011, 08:59 PM
arunnair87

Awesome.

No two line pass =

The removal of this rule alone should have everyone saying post-lockout hockey is awesome.

arunnair87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2011, 09:16 PM
satrabyk

The best example that i think fits this description well is the Shootout. Any hockey fan would rather they play a 3 on 3 for 5 mins than go through the shootout, that has no relation to actual game play. I really hate it. Not only is any allure of it gone within the first few weeks, it also decreases the the interest of penalty shots in games since they are no longer unique to watch. It also can disrupt the assesment of players. I mean a guy plays a great game and misses in the shootout and his team loses, all of a sudden that game doesent look to good. The same the other way a guy plays a bad game but is the hero because he scores on a free breakaway. Goalies have enough stress they dont need that shootout. That and add benefit to wins in regulation, and also limit penalties on questionable calls or or calls based on a broken stick etc. I also cant stand the way Refs are trying to avoid players from fighting, let them go that what fans want to see, not a stupid ref huddling around them.

satrabyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2011, 09:23 PM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Quote:
Gimmicky.

I swear you must have read my thread on the main board.

No, in all seriousness, the NHL has been 100 pct gimmicky, but they really have no other choice.

They have been killed in the ratings and attendance game for a while now, and now you have teams reporting major losses over 10 year periods.

Because of all this, they can be Mavericks. I mean, all these gimmicks wont hurt their ratings. They can only help, I guess.

I didnt even watch today's game. Not a single second of the game. I was more interested in St. John's/Duke and Lakers/Celtics.

GWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2011, 09:41 PM
Blatant
Formerly NYRFan1823

Yes the shooutout is gimmicky, and you can get "fake points" BUT how much does that really effect the games. And Ranger fans shouldn't be complaining.

Other than that, Hockey is Hockey, its a great game and is not gimmicky in any way. The all-star game was good, and is a good way to get the kids involved. I've said before. I can care less about the all-star game, but its nice to see them "trying" to get more of a fan base.

Blatant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2011, 09:47 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

What's the gimmick? That 2-line passes are allowed?

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2011, 10:35 PM
Machinehead
TG15:WoodlandCritter

Better.

Post-lockout beats down pre-lockout like a red-headed stepchild. The game is much faster, much more open, much more exciting, without the two-line pass. And the shootout isn't gimmicky, ties just suck. The shootout is the best thing to ever happen to the NHL. Whether you like the shootout or not, anything beats a tie. I'd rather have the captains come out and arm wrestle for it than have the game "end" in a tie. People will say ties were part of the game for over 80 years...yeah and so were the Rangers, they both sucked almost the entire time. You say it's at the expense of fans they already had but I've been a fan for 19 years and I think the game is twice as good since the lockout.

EDIT: Oh and I know I'm going to get crap about 5 minutes 3 on 3. That makes no sense to me. With all that open ice, 3 on 3 is a glorified shotout...a sudden death shootout no less. That's worse than a regular shootout.

Last edited by Machinehead: 01-30-2011 at 10:41 PM.
Machinehead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2011, 10:41 PM
Blatant
Formerly NYRFan1823

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
Better.

Post-lockout beats down pre-lockout like a red-headed stepchild. The game is much faster, much more open, much more exciting, without the two-line pass. And the shootout isn't gimmicky, ties just suck. The shootout is the best thing to ever happen to the NHL. Whether you like the shootout or not, anything beats a tie. I'd rather have the captains come out and arm wrestle for it than have the game "end" in a tie. People will say ties were part of the game for over 80 years...yeah and so were the Rangers, they both sucked almost the entire time.
Honestly I don't see eye-to-eye with most things that you say. BUT I do agree that ties suck. Its like when I would come home from watching the game.

Mom:"Who won?"
Me: "It was a tie"
Mom:"Oh that sucks"

Being such a competetive person I hated when things end in a tie and I still do. I know a lot of people hate the shootout, but do not want it to end in a tie. Then I dare you to think of a better idea that is not "gimmicky"?

Blatant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2011, 10:43 PM
Dantes19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
Better.

Post-lockout beats down pre-lockout like a red-headed stepchild. The game is much faster, much more open, much more exciting, without the two-line pass.

I was going to pick that exact word, and I agree with you completely about the post-lockout era being much, much better than the pre-lockout. I think some people forget just how much obstruction dominated the game in the years before the lockout.

Dantes19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2011, 10:45 PM
Machinehead
TG15:WoodlandCritter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRfan1823 View Post
Honestly I don't see eye-to-eye with most things that you say. BUT I do agree that ties suck. Its like when I would come home from watching the game.

Mom:"Who won?"
Me: "It was a tie"
Mom:"Oh that sucks"

Being such a competetive person I hated when things end in a tie and I still do. I know a lot of people hate the shootout, but do not want it to end in a tie. Then I dare you to think of a better idea that is not "gimmicky"?
Well of course we don't see eye to eye. Amare is like 7 feet tall and Really Really Big Man is like 24 feet tall

But what you said about finding a better idea is exactly what I'm thinking. The shootout isn't perfect, but I don't know of anything better. Unless of course you honestly think ties are better, in which case, to each his own I guess.

Machinehead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2011, 10:46 PM
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!

Annoying.

Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2011, 11:56 PM
_P_

Send a message via AIM to _P_
What are the gimmicks?

Heres a few....

Shootout. (how'd you guys like the end of last season?)
3 point games. (complete nonsense, even if you want the shootout, there should he no 3 point games)
Phantom penalty calls/taken the toughness out of the sport. (at this rate fighting will be gone within our lifetimes)
Those goalie no touch zones. (taking skill out of the game, if your goalie can go get good for you, most can't)

I'm also not a fan of the new all star format or the new skills competition. But those are admitably unimportant.

You don't see baseball messing around with major rules. "ok the catcher can't catch a fly ball if it's between these two areas"
This stuff is bush league. If you want to say it started with betman and not the lockout I'm ok with that. Good point with the glowing pucks.

Stop trying to appeal to people who don't like the sport by trying to make it something that you think they will like.

_P_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 12:13 AM
Jarkko Immonen
#42 Artem Anisimov

Send a message via AIM to Jarkko Immonen
Quote:
What are the gimmicks?

Heres a few....

3 point games. (complete nonsense, even if you want the shootout, there should he no 3 point games)
Phantom penalty calls/taken the toughness out of the sport. (at this rate fighting will be gone within our lifetimes)
Those goalie no touch zones. (taking skill out of the game, if your goalie can go get good for you, most can't)

I'm also not a fan of the new all star format or the new skills competition. But those are admitably unimportant.

You don't see baseball messing around with major rules. "ok the catcher can't catch a fly ball if it's between these two areas"
This stuff is bush league. If you want to say it started with betman and not the lockout I'm ok with that. Good point with the glowing pucks.

Stop trying to appeal to people who don't like the sport by trying to make it something that you think they will like.
The only gimmick out of those four is the shootout. The others are just rule changes, lol.

Jarkko Immonen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 12:15 AM
JasonDoig*

Quote:
What are the gimmicks?

Heres a few....

Shootout:
I agree they're gimmicky. They're also excite a lot of people. For all the **** people talk about them, I've never gone to a single game where people weren't on their feet screaming during the shootout. I've yet to see one person walk out of the arena in disgust of it. The end of last season? Who cares? So if we had won the shootout then it wouldn't have been gimmicky? What about the past 2 seasons before that where it potentially put us into the playoffs?

3 point games: Established prior to the lockout. Try again.

Phantom Penalty Calls/taking toughness out of the sport:
There were phantom calls before the lockout also. I'm a bit upset about the NHL being a little to soft as well, but I'll take that ANY day over a guy like Dale Purinton finding his way into the NHL because he's able to get away with nearly chopping a winger's hands off.

No Goalie Touch Zones: How does it take skill out of the game? Outside of a few nice outlet passes from goalies that result in goals, what does it take away besides any team's ability to forecheck? Remember Prust's goal against Phoenix? Would it have been more exciting and less gimmicky if Labarbera was able to just smother to puck in the corner and deprive us of the short-handed goal?

And with your baseball example I can use plenty of others. In soccer the goalie can't use his hands outside of the penalty box. In basketball you can't have 3 men in the key. Are those restrictions gimmicks also? Or are they just simply rules put into place to make the game flow better?

The only thing you mentioned that's a gimmick is the shootout. Everything else were just adjusted rules.

You know what else is gimmicky? Goals not counting because your skate is in the crease. A bunch of goons being in the lineup for the sole sake of fighting. Etc. These are also things eliminated during the "post-lockout NHL." Give and take.

Just to put things into perspective. When overtime was first implemented it was viewed as gimmicky as well. Today's gimmicky is tomorrow's legitimacy.

JasonDoig* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 12:18 AM
GothamRanger

Send a message via AIM to GothamRanger
Never understood why people think shootouts are not natural to the game of hockey. You skate with the puck, to the net, and shoot at the goalie; this is the essence of hockey.

It's been in the Olympics and other international events since the inception of the game. The players and coaches are all very in to it, and because a few "purists" here don't like it doesn't mean the rest of the fans don't.

It's not like they are playing foosball to see who wins a game.

GothamRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 12:18 AM
NHLNUT04
HFBoards Sponsor

LOVE

Hockey's never been in better shape.

01-31-2011, 12:21 AM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Terrific.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GothamRanger View Post
Never understood why people think shootouts are not natural to the game of hockey. You skate with the puck, to the net, and shoot at the goalie; this is the essence of hockey.

It's been in the Olympics and other international events since the inception of the game. The players and coaches are all very in to it, and because a few "purists" here don't like it doesn't mean the rest of the fans don't.

It's not like they are playing foosball to see who wins a game.
Agreed.

wolfgaze is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 12:23 AM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyFanLand View Post

Hockey's never been in better shape.
Yup, and the numbers support that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonDoig View Post
No Goalie Touch Zones: How does it take skill out of the game? Outside of a few nice outlet passes from goalies that result in goals, what does it take away besides any team's ability to forecheck? Remember Prust's goal against Phoenix? Would it have been more exciting and less gimmicky if Labarbera was able to just smother to puck in the corner and deprive us of the short-handed goal?

And with your baseball example I can use plenty of others. In soccer the goalie can't use his hands outside of the penalty box. In basketball you can't have 3 men in the key. Are those restrictions gimmicks also? Or are they just simply rules put into place to make the game flow better?

The only thing you mentioned that's a gimmick is the shootout. Everything else were just adjusted rules.

You know what else is gimmicky? Goals not counting because your skate is in the crease. A bunch of goons being in the lineup for the sole sake of fighting. Etc. These are also things eliminated during the "post-lockout NHL." Give and take.

Just to put things into perspective. When overtime was first implemented it was viewed as gimmicky as well. Today's gimmicky is tomorrow's legitimacy.
Oooh good post.

Old
01-31-2011, 12:26 AM
Fitzy
All Is Well

I'd love to get rid of the trapezoid and 3 point games. I honestly couldn't give two ***** about the shootout. Lose the automatic delay of game penalty.

Keep ties in and we still don't make the playoffs last year.

But there have been some good changes as well. No two line pass, for example.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 12:34 AM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

I like the trapezoid rule... Goalies were becoming too adept at handling the puck... Without them being fair game outside the crease, it was getting too inhibiting to puck possession in the offensive zone.... Love seeing the more intelligent players make smart dump-ins now so the goalie can't get to the puck... MZA is really good at smart dump-ins....

Old
01-31-2011, 12:37 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 910
Awards:
Get rid of the trapezoid, get rid of the SO. And definitely get rid of the instigator.

Outside of that, I think the game is in great shape.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is online now   Reply With Quote